Thread: Guerrilla Gardening: Growing Edmonton's Community

Default Guerrilla Gardening: Growing Edmonton's Community

Guerrilla Gardening: Growing Edmonton's Community
    Thursday July 10, 2008
    Dustin Bajer
    For the first time in history, more people in the world live in cities than the country. With each passing day we are increasingly an urban species. So it only seems reasonable that the solutions to many of the problems we've created and inherited will blossom from the world’s urban centres.

The term “guerrilla gardening” was first introduced in the 1970s by the New York City-based group the Green Guerrillas. Since its inception, guerrilla gardening has spread around the world as a rapidly growing movement and is often defined as the act of gardening public space, with or without permission.

Originally lured to guerrilla gardening with visions of running through dark alleyways, spade and seed bomb in hand, participants quickly discover that guerrilla gardening has a more serious side as well. In some ways, we're trying to return to a simpler time, a reconnection with the natural world and the processes surrounding us.

Although technically illegal, guerrilla gardening addresses issues of community ownership, food security, biodiversity, native habitat and neighbourhood beautification. It is also a form of direct, non-violent action accessible to everyone … and fun to boot! Ultimately, the goal of guerrilla gardening is to change the way that people interact with each other, their environment and their community.

Originally started in Edmonton as a Facebook group, the Edmonton Guerrilla Gardeners have since gained a lot of attention. With the hopes of improving our community, the group has undergone various plantings around Edmonton and the sowing of two vegetable gardens on land provided by the County of Strathcona (produce to be donated to those in need).

Our first event reached a climax when two police officers approached us while we were planting vines along an abandoned lot. One officer politely questioned us while the other suggested we plant ivy.

As time passes we hope to see the Edmonton guerrilla gardening community grow both in size and impact. We'd love to reach a point when gardening boulevards and back alleys becomes a common and accepted community activity. When aware of the possibilities, it's baffling to realize how much of our cityscape could be put to better use, and to wonder what that might look like. Would you support a vegetable patch in your boulevard?

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they shall never sit in.” - Greek ProverbWe welcome the open discussion of your concerns, comments, and ideas, and encourage people interested in Guerrilla Gardening to visit our Blog, Facebook group, and contact us by email; news and events are posted regularly.

-- Dustin Bajer
    Last edited by PrincessAngel; 10-07-2008 at 10:02 AM.

Question

^ Interesting topic.

I take issue with "technically illegal" being glossed over though.

The practice is illegal period, nothing technical about it.

There are many LEGAL community endeavours that address issues such as community ownership, food security, biodiversity, native habitat and neighbourhood beautification.

Communities in Bloom, the many Co-ops that operate...

True, Guerrilla Gardening is illegal. I do, however, find it unlikely that we'd be arrested and charged for our good intentions.

I would like to add that the Guerrilla Gardeners are more than willing to pursue legal avenues of action. We're not radicals and you'll never see us pie Ed Stelmach (even though some may like to at times) as we're looking to create bridges not burn them. If the city is willing to give us an empty lot, fantastic, we'd gladly accept. However, if the "owner" of an abandoned and unkept lot isn't willing to put energy and care into the property, we would be. We're not rearranging intersections here, we're planting petunias, growing produce for the food bank, and trying to inspire people to retake responsibility for their communities.

^ I highly doubt that charges would ever be laid as well. Nor do I necessarily think any guerrilla gardeners should be (charged or even investigated).

The lot owners should be charged, for failing to keep up with their property and for the beautifications done.

I cannot ever condone any illegal activity however well intentioned, necessary or how much I personally agree with the activity. It becomes a slippery slope…

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post

I cannot ever condone any illegal activity however well intentioned, necessary or how much I personally agree with the activity. It becomes a slippery slope…

A far more slippery slope is automatically agreeing/following laws simply because they are laws.

^ No, illegal is illegal. Change must happen within the boundaries of the (present) law -- always.

Demonstrations, petitions and calls for reform are the only avenues that I would ever follow to change something I do not think should be illegal.

The slippery slope slides right into anarchism otherwise and I will not accept that.

Back to the topic of guerilla gardening.

I am interested in knowing what areas of Edmonton the guerilla gardners think is most in need of this practice? Downtown, eastend or all over and everywhere in Edmonton?

I'd rather C2E than work!

And crops?(while your asking)

I suppose you would have been one of those yelling at Ms Parks to get off the bus. How sad.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessAngel View Post
    ... Would you support a vegetable patch in your boulevard?
    -- Dustin Bajer
    could i mow it? i'm not sure i would want to eat anything knowing what the city and "passersby" have put on it.

we have some guerilla gardening in our community - typically sun flowers and annuals between the road or land and the chain link fencing ( ) surrounding some of our park and school yard spaces. pretty harmless for the most part and for the most part done with the tacit if not explicit support of the owner (the city) through the community league or school.

however, without at least that "tacit" support (which i would infer as imposing "technical legality" as opposed to labouring under "technical illegality") i have a hard time with it. at what point is guerilla gardening different from guerilla art (i.e. graffiti)? if you don't own it and you don't rent it and you don't have permission to use it, you have no right to do so. good intentions are insufficient in my opinion - and who is to say that the dirt you have absconded to provide vegetables for the food bank is not contaminated? and who is responsible if it is?

there is probably more "dirt" available that would come with consent than you could till - it seems to me that what would be missing is the modicum of additional work that would be required to obtain that consent. maybe like guerilla art, the gardening part just wouldn't be as attractive without that guerilla component?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Partially Addicted to C2E

Where do I sign up?

No, I would not have been one of those who hassled Rosa Parks. To suggest such a thing of me (or anyone) is offensive.

I would (am) one of those with Dr. Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, Mother Teresa, Desmond Tutu, the Vaniers et al. advocating/requiring change in a peaceful and law abiding manner.

If you would like to make anymore comments in this ilk please start a new thread or pm me as I would be happy (and am more than up to it) to continue that discussion.

However, in this thread I would like to learn more about guerilla gardening.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post
    I suppose you would have been one of those yelling at Ms Parks to get off the bus. How sad.
    apples and oranges lindseyt (which may be closer to belonging in this thread than it should). rosa's actions were the antithesis of anything "guerilla". in more ways than one, her actions were up front and she was prepared for the consequences, not hiding from them. and there is a very big difference between expropriating one's rights and someone elses property regardless of how you try and camouflage or blur the difference.

But you said illegal is illegal Deb. And you made it very clear that "changes must happen within the law-always".

With out people pushing "unjustified laws or rules" discussion rarely takes place. Sometimes they are rediculed for being extreme and status quo remains, or discussion of merrit takes place, ie ken bringing up contamination issues and a healthy public discussion follows.

fact is, had these Guerrilla Gardeners spent years taking up this issue through legal means people (like us) would not be informed of their fight. Which juding by the responses so far seems like one people are interested in joining and because of that it's legality should be questioned.

Default In response to the safety of GG produce.

We currently have two garden plots, both of them in a community garden donated to us by the County of Strathcona. So we're quite sure that they are poison free. In the future, we would like to experiment more with vegetable gardening on vacant lots and/or peoples backyards/boulevards in the city with the consent of the owners.

The Edmonton Guerrilla gardeners have been quite open with the public and the city of Edmonton. We're not trying to hide what we're doing or step on anyones toes, we're not looking for confrontations but a grass roots community approach to evoking change.

It's true that planting anywhere is a slippery slope and we exercise a lot of constraint in where and what we plant, and choose to not hide what we're doing. We're not digging up sidewalks or private yards. Yes, ultimately, we're walking a fine line.

One project we're very interested in pursuing is the creation of an Edmonton Green-Map. The map, available online, would aid people in locating edible fruit trees all over the city. A criminal activity? Of course, we might be encouraged to plant an apple tree of our own, there are many safe, suitable, non invasive, non obstructive, public places within the city to do so.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

You could ask the UofA if you could have a plot of land at the University farm... my parents are part of a group that has a community garden in Garneau north of 87 ave, and they also have a huge plot of land out at the farm... last year they won first place in the community garden contest and it's really quite a beautiful garden they have. Lots of herbs, spices, vegetables, salads... very nice indeed.

like to see Hemp in these gardens for Clothing and Alternative fuels

Thanks etownboarder we'd be very interested in a plot at the UofA farm!

C2E Long Term Contributor

I wish someone would "guerilla garden" the brownfield at Whyte Ave and 105 St, but I suppose jumping over a property fence would take the illegality too far. Anyway, I'll take "guerilla gardening" over "guerilla art" any time.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I wish someone would "guerilla garden" the brownfield at Whyte Ave and 105 St, but I suppose jumping over a property fence would take the illegality too far. Anyway, I'll take "guerilla gardening" over "guerilla art" any time.
    I wonder what the effects would be on the remediation process? You would think that mid sized shrubs and the like couldn't hurt, it's not like they have roots strong enough to get into the ug ventilation pipes.

We've looked into the Whyte-105st site. We decided not to jump the fence for legal and contaminated soil reasons. We did, however, as an afterthought, plant a few petunias and some vines along the north facing side.

I've looked into some land remediation techniques online. I appears as though some sites in Saskatchewan are being planted with Willow and Poplar trees as they are hyperaccumulate the heavy metals in the contaminated ground. Apparently in some cases after being harvested and incinerated the trees ashes are considered ore grade and can be mined for the valuable, recaptured metals; something I'm not sure the owner or the City of Edmonton may be aware of?

We've also been cautious of planting trees as we're aware of the underground pipe issues posed by some tree varieties, we're currently in talks with the city/gardening/community groups as to what trees would and would not be best suited. We would also like to try and stick to natives whenever possible.

/\ seems like an excellent "in the mean time" solution until whatever legal hurdles have to be cleared in forcing landowners or awaiting federal and provincial funds for remediaton. plant away.

doesnt guerrilla gardening lose its charm if everyone knows about it and is supportive?(not that that is a bad thing)

Partially Addicted to C2E

You are more than welcome to guerrilla garden the rental property next door to my home. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would spend $400k+ as an investment and not keep the property up.

Consider me the neighborhood guerrilla mower and planter of perennials in adjacent beds...

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    i'm not sure i would want to eat anything knowing what the city and "passersby" have put on it.
    Rhetorical question here...

Are you really sure you want to eat anything NOT knowing what anyone has actually put into it? Just saying...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...1027?hub=WFive

Default Rhetorical... answer?

See my previous post regarding where we have been planting food SweetCrude. We've only been planting food on well established garden sites.

Quote Originally Posted by dgbajer View Post
    We currently have two garden plots, both of them in a community garden donated to us by the County of Strathcona. So we're quite sure that they are poison free. In the future, we would like to experiment more with vegetable gardening on vacant lots and/or peoples backyards/boulevards in the city with the consent of the owners.

The Edmonton Guerrilla gardeners have been quite open with the public and the city of Edmonton. We're not trying to hide what we're doing or step on anyones toes, we're not looking for confrontations but a grass roots community approach to evoking change.

It's true that planting anywhere is a slippery slope and we exercise a lot of constraint in where and what we plant, and choose to not hide what we're doing. We're not digging up sidewalks or private yards. Yes, ultimately, we're walking a fine line.

One project we're very interested in pursuing is the creation of an Edmonton Green-Map. The map, available online, would aid people in locating edible fruit trees all over the city. A criminal activity? Of course, we might be encouraged to plant an apple tree of our own, there are many safe, suitable, non invasive, non obstructive, public places within the city to do so.

Demonstrations, petitions and calls for reform are the only avenues that I would ever follow to change something I do not think should be illegal.
    And if they made those illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    And if they made those illegal?
    I cannot foresee a time when petitions or calls for reform would be made illegal --in Canada, which is where Edmonton is and thus making the question moot. Demonstrations on the other hand do have restrictions on them which I acknowledge.

But this has nothing to do with the column.

BTW, I am a member of the Edmonton Guerrilla Gardeners Facebook group which is my legal way to provide and show support.

STILL offensive.

Either you support the activities of the Guerrilla Gardeners or are against it.

You can't say you are against their practices but support their cause through Facebook. That's like saying I don't really want to kill cats but I don't mind when other people do, so I'll support them by joining the Kill Cats Facebook group.

Let's please bring this topic back on track.

There is certainly room to discuss the legal issues around guerrila gardening and side issues. That is how conversations work. However, let's keep this from meandering too radically and throwing rather extreme comparisons at people

Play nice.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

I support Guerilla Gardening, a couple of years ago I thought about planting trees in the river valley but never got around do doing it.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by MylesC View Post
    Play nice.
    i don't mind having to play nice as long as we don't have to play fair at the same time... one out of two should be enough.

Plant a Hug International

Colin Mulholland has organized a "Plant a Hug" event on Saturday, July 19th. The event focuses on spreading joy and offering free hugs to the passing public.

Colin has managed to pull a little gardening into the mix and thought that some Guerrilla Gardeners might be interested. Though not an actual "guerrilla" event, Colin has discovered that a local school (McNally?..I think.) is trying to start a gardening project for their students but needs help moving some mulch in their school yard. All supplies are provided, only eager bodies are needed.

Come for the hugs, to help out some students, or both! Here is a quick breakdown of the event.

Meet @ ~9:30am and give start giving free hugs from 10 to 12am

Walk to the school together (between 109 and 110) and 108st for gardening activities.

Regular Guerrilla events should resume shortly, we're currently searching out some locations and perennials.

Does anyone have a mass of tulips?

Also, listen on CHED this weekend for an Edmonton Guerrilla Gardening interview (Sat or Sun morning).

-- Dustin

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

The problem I have with this Guerrilla Gardening is the same thing I have with some tagging that is actually artful - trespassing is trespassing and vandalism is vandalism no matter how pretty. Yes, you to Think Bird. Yes, you too construction billboard covert art directors.

If this is so great, then simply ask permission. If I had an abandoned lot, and someone wanted to plant a garden, fill your boots as long as you understand that I do not guarantee the quality of the soil, your safety, nor the longevity of the garden should I get a project that could go in there. I really think some of these gardens are quite appealing, so while forgiveness rather than permission may have worked with your parents, some landowners may not be so enlightened.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Quote Originally Posted by dgbajer View Post
    True, Guerrilla Gardening is illegal. I do, however, find it unlikely that we'd be arrested and charged for our good intentions.

I would like to add that the Guerrilla Gardeners are more than willing to pursue legal avenues of action. We're not radicals and you'll never see us pie Ed Stelmach (even though some may like to at times) as we're looking to create bridges not burn them. If the city is willing to give us an empty lot, fantastic, we'd gladly accept. However, if the "owner" of an abandoned and unkept lot isn't willing to put energy and care into the property, we would be. We're not rearranging intersections here, we're planting petunias, growing produce for the food bank, and trying to inspire people to retake responsibility for their communities.
    You should be applauded for your efforts. We are always talking about people participating and improving the environment and you guys are doing this for free. It also sounds like you are very careful as to where and what you plant.

Default Someone digs guerrilla gardeners

Someone digs guerrilla gardeners
    --All flowers surreptitiously planted have been stolen away

Jennifer Yang, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: 2:04 am August 11, 2008

Two months have passed since Edmonton's "guerrilla gardeners" decided to spruce up Jasper Avenue with some stealthily planted marigolds and baby's breath. But today, a few holes in the dirt is all that remains of their horticultural handiwork.

"Somebody came along and carefully uprooted (the plants)," said Dustin Bajer, creator of Edmonton Guerrilla Gardeners. "They probably took it home for their own garden."

Guerrilla gardening has been defined as gardening in public spaces, either with or without permission. The movement sprouted in the 1970s, yet there was no organized effort in Edmonton until Bajer's group formed this spring.

Link:
    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...5-442a7f9f3952

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Bah... how pathetic is that? It's almost the end of summer, most stores have bedding plants on sale for CHEAP. Stealing something that other people have planted to improve our downtown is so pathetically low. I am embarrassed for whoever did this.