Thread: EXPO 2015 awarded - Milan, Italy

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Default EXPO 2015 awarded - Milan, Italy

President and CEO - Airshow.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Edmonton's got a long way to go in 2 years then...
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

So who wants to go to Milan now? Actually - I wouldn't mind anytime, although I'd sooner avoid it while it is chock full of tourists at the expo.

A bit different than if Edmonton wins - really hope we have a worthwhile concept if we do this. Sustainable development is all very nice - but I think we have instead to play to our strengths, which I think lie in energy.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Edmonton's got a long way to go in 2 years then...
    and for those wondering if we might be in the same league as milan:

population: 1.3 million/1.1 million
    permanent f1 track/permanent indy track
    hockey centrepiece of the country/hockey centrepiece of the country
    9 bouroughs/6 wards
    undergoing architectural renaissance/starting architectural renaissance
    renaissance to be furthered by expo 2015/renaissance to be furthered by expo 2017
    piazza del duomo/sir winston churchill square

we don't have milan's century's of history and architecture but we could have what they have in spirit and commitment - just as vancouver and montreal had in 1986 and 1967. and a matrix of our similarities with both of those cities at the time they hosted their fairs would be even eerier.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I just wish 2017 was the Universal vs the International Expo. Too bad we couldn't create a third component that would combine the theme latitude of an international with the size and financing of a universal....

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I just wish 2017 was the Universal vs the International Expo. Too bad we couldn't create a third component that would combine the theme latitude of an international with the size and financing of a universal....
    maybe we could tie in some related events that year as part of a package that would both extend the event (i.e. the cold climate construction conference and expo that spring and the canadian rodeo finals in the fall and...?) and perhaps tie into it as well. the added bonus is that these may well cycle back on a much more regular basis than the world's fair would...

If you were a betting man, what odds would you place on Edmonton getting the world's fair in 2017?

Wouldn't we need to have our bid together in a hurry (within the next 2 years?)
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

If you were a betting man, what odds would you place on Edmonton getting the world's fair in 2017?

if i were a betting man wagering anything but automobiles, IF we get our act together, we should have an 80% change of securing the canadian bid and a 75% chance of being successful at that point. those are pretty damn good odds for an event of this significance for the host city BUT it will need vocal and significant grass roots support in addition to political and administrative "will" to bring about. do we have that yet? i would put the level of necessary support at this point in the process at 60% of where i think it should be and look forward to helping ratchet that upwards.

I'd rather C2E than work!

What can I do to help? I'd love to see this happen. The world's fair would be better for someone like me than any sports event (except the Stanley Cup). I also believe it would be great for school kids.

Terrific!
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What can I do to help? I'd love to see this happen. The world's fair would be better for someone like me than any sports event (except the Stanley Cup). I also believe it would be great for school kids.

Terrific!
    write the mayor and say exactly that.
    write the city manager's office.
    write your ward alderpersons regardless of what ward you are in.
    write jane batty and karen leibovici who are the councillors in charge.
    write to the premier.
    write to your mla.
    write to the prime minister.
    write to your mp.

and then write them all again next month and the month after that and the month after that and ask what kind of support and progress they are both committed to and making.

and get everyone else you know to do the same thing.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Q1 - if we bid, 80%

Q2 - darn straight

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default I'll get on it

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Terrific!
    write the mayor and say exactly that.
    write the city manager's office.
    write your ward alderpersons regardless of what ward you are in.
    write jane batty and karen leibovici who are the councillors in charge.
    write to the premier.
    write to your mla.
    write to the prime minister.
    write to your mp.

and then write them all again next month and the month after that and the month after that and ask what kind of support and progress they are both committed to and making.

and get everyone else you know to do the same thing.
    I'll start first thing tomorrow. I'm not sure many people realize the number of innovations and cutting edge technologies that are exhibited at the World's Fairs. It's more than just promoting the city worldwide. For me it has more to do with igniting the dreams and imagination of Edmontonians. When we do this for kids, it can impact the city for decades, even permanently.

It's also perfect in light of the fact Calgary had the Olympics. Sport is great, and the Olympics has a greater profile worldwide, but I believe this has more gravitas, for lack of a better word right now. It carries a different kind of weight, with a different kind of person. It's important in a way sport could never be, and would leave a legacy with, I believe, far more impact. That is, if we do it right, and I'm sure we would.

I'm on board!
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

I would absolutely love to have EXPO 17 here, I still remember going to EXPO 86 and it was a once in a lifetime experience (hopefully twice in a lifetime if we're serious) and one only has to check out these links below to see what it did for the last canadian city to host it. It may not "technically" make money but the impact on this city (ones we can't measure in black and white) would be huge in ways we can't measure if it's done right!

http://www.globalairphotos.com/large...own/1982/068/2

http://www.globalairphotos.com/large...own/2007/476/2

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Every time I see that transformation, I'm amazed. False Creek was a cesspool, and now...

That is why I kind of "lose it" when I hear issues with remediation of things like YXD. For those who worry, you can see it with your own eyes in these 2 pictures.

never answered e-mail

Every time I see that transformation, I'm amazed. False Creek was a cesspool, and now...

That is why I kind of "lose it" when I hear issues with remediation of things like YXD. For those who worry, you can see it with your own eyes in these 2 pictures.
    Exactly, we're allowed to risk manage remediation in Alberta - as they have for many years in BC. Cost and safety due to soil contamination is not necessarily a barrier for development.

C2E Long Term Contributor

if i were a betting man wagering anything but automobiles, IF we get our act together, we should have an 80% change of securing the canadian bid and a 75% chance of being successful at that point. those are pretty damn good odds for an event of this significance for the host city BUT it will need vocal and significant grass roots support in addition to political and administrative "will" to bring about. do we have that yet? i would put the level of necessary support at this point in the process at 60% of where i think it should be and look forward to helping ratchet that upwards.
    i saw that ken:>

i would love to see us win this for we could push to have the following completed by then and ready for the games:

-LRT to YEG
    -WLRT to AHD
    -NLRT to NAIT
    -new multipurpose stadium downtown
    -revamped northlands grounds
    -rossdale flats redevelopment
    -new bridge to the downtown
    -new public library
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

i saw that ken:>

i would love to see us win this for we could push to have the following completed by then and ready for the games:

-LRT to YEG
    -WLRT to AHD
    -NLRT to NAIT
    -new multipurpose stadium downtown
    -revamped northlands grounds
    -rossdale flats redevelopment
    -new bridge to the downtown
    -new public library
    I will add on NE LRT to AHD

SLRT to AHD