Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: EXPO 2015 awarded - Milan, Italy

  1. #1
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    14,228
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default EXPO 2015 awarded - Milan, Italy

    President and CEO - Airshow.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Edmonton's got a long way to go in 2 years then...
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

  3. #3

    Default

    So who wants to go to Milan now? Actually - I wouldn't mind anytime, although I'd sooner avoid it while it is chock full of tourists at the expo.

    A bit different than if Edmonton wins - really hope we have a worthwhile concept if we do this. Sustainable development is all very nice - but I think we have instead to play to our strengths, which I think lie in energy.

  4. #4
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    13,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Edmonton's got a long way to go in 2 years then...
    and for those wondering if we might be in the same league as milan:

    population: 1.3 million/1.1 million
    permanent f1 track/permanent indy track
    hockey centrepiece of the country/hockey centrepiece of the country
    9 bouroughs/6 wards
    undergoing architectural renaissance/starting architectural renaissance
    renaissance to be furthered by expo 2015/renaissance to be furthered by expo 2017
    piazza del duomo/sir winston churchill square

    we don't have milan's century's of history and architecture but we could have what they have in spirit and commitment - just as vancouver and montreal had in 1986 and 1967. and a matrix of our similarities with both of those cities at the time they hosted their fairs would be even eerier.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  5. #5
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    14,228
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I just wish 2017 was the Universal vs the International Expo. Too bad we couldn't create a third component that would combine the theme latitude of an international with the size and financing of a universal....
    President and CEO - Airshow.

  6. #6
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    13,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I just wish 2017 was the Universal vs the International Expo. Too bad we couldn't create a third component that would combine the theme latitude of an international with the size and financing of a universal....
    maybe we could tie in some related events that year as part of a package that would both extend the event (i.e. the cold climate construction conference and expo that spring and the canadian rodeo finals in the fall and...?) and perhaps tie into it as well. the added bonus is that these may well cycle back on a much more regular basis than the world's fair would...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  7. #7

    Default

    If you were a betting man, what odds would you place on Edmonton getting the world's fair in 2017?

    Wouldn't we need to have our bid together in a hurry (within the next 2 years?)
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

  8. #8
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    13,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    If you were a betting man, what odds would you place on Edmonton getting the world's fair in 2017?

    Wouldn't we need to have our bid together in a hurry (within the next 2 years?)
    if i were a betting man wagering anything but automobiles, IF we get our act together, we should have an 80% change of securing the canadian bid and a 75% chance of being successful at that point. those are pretty damn good odds for an event of this significance for the host city BUT it will need vocal and significant grass roots support in addition to political and administrative "will" to bring about. do we have that yet? i would put the level of necessary support at this point in the process at 60% of where i think it should be and look forward to helping ratchet that upwards.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  9. #9
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    5,093

    Default

    What can I do to help? I'd love to see this happen. The world's fair would be better for someone like me than any sports event (except the Stanley Cup). I also believe it would be great for school kids.

    Terrific!
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

  10. #10
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    13,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What can I do to help? I'd love to see this happen. The world's fair would be better for someone like me than any sports event (except the Stanley Cup). I also believe it would be great for school kids.

    Terrific!
    write the mayor and say exactly that.
    write the city manager's office.
    write your ward alderpersons regardless of what ward you are in.
    write jane batty and karen leibovici who are the councillors in charge.
    write to the premier.
    write to your mla.
    write to the prime minister.
    write to your mp.

    and then write them all again next month and the month after that and the month after that and ask what kind of support and progress they are both committed to and making.

    and get everyone else you know to do the same thing.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  11. #11
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    14,228
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    If you were a betting man, what odds would you place on Edmonton getting the world's fair in 2017?

    Wouldn't we need to have our bid together in a hurry (within the next 2 years?)

    Q1 - if we bid, 80%

    Q2 - darn straight
    President and CEO - Airshow.

  12. #12
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    5,093

    Default I'll get on it

    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What can I do to help? I'd love to see this happen. The world's fair would be better for someone like me than any sports event (except the Stanley Cup). I also believe it would be great for school kids.

    Terrific!
    write the mayor and say exactly that.
    write the city manager's office.
    write your ward alderpersons regardless of what ward you are in.
    write jane batty and karen leibovici who are the councillors in charge.
    write to the premier.
    write to your mla.
    write to the prime minister.
    write to your mp.

    and then write them all again next month and the month after that and the month after that and ask what kind of support and progress they are both committed to and making.

    and get everyone else you know to do the same thing.
    I'll start first thing tomorrow. I'm not sure many people realize the number of innovations and cutting edge technologies that are exhibited at the World's Fairs. It's more than just promoting the city worldwide. For me it has more to do with igniting the dreams and imagination of Edmontonians. When we do this for kids, it can impact the city for decades, even permanently.

    It's also perfect in light of the fact Calgary had the Olympics. Sport is great, and the Olympics has a greater profile worldwide, but I believe this has more gravitas, for lack of a better word right now. It carries a different kind of weight, with a different kind of person. It's important in a way sport could never be, and would leave a legacy with, I believe, far more impact. That is, if we do it right, and I'm sure we would.

    I'm on board!
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

  13. #13

    Default

    I would absolutely love to have EXPO 17 here, I still remember going to EXPO 86 and it was a once in a lifetime experience (hopefully twice in a lifetime if we're serious) and one only has to check out these links below to see what it did for the last canadian city to host it. It may not "technically" make money but the impact on this city (ones we can't measure in black and white) would be huge in ways we can't measure if it's done right!

    http://www.globalairphotos.com/large...own/1982/068/2

    http://www.globalairphotos.com/large...own/2007/476/2

  14. #14
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    14,228
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Every time I see that transformation, I'm amazed. False Creek was a cesspool, and now...

    That is why I kind of "lose it" when I hear issues with remediation of things like YXD. For those who worry, you can see it with your own eyes in these 2 pictures.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

  15. #15
    never answered e-mail
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Peachland
    Posts
    1,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Every time I see that transformation, I'm amazed. False Creek was a cesspool, and now...

    That is why I kind of "lose it" when I hear issues with remediation of things like YXD. For those who worry, you can see it with your own eyes in these 2 pictures.
    Exactly, we're allowed to risk manage remediation in Alberta - as they have for many years in BC. Cost and safety due to soil contamination is not necessarily a barrier for development.

  16. #16
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    49,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    If you were a betting man, what odds would you place on Edmonton getting the world's fair in 2017?

    Wouldn't we need to have our bid together in a hurry (within the next 2 years?)
    if i were a betting man wagering anything but automobiles, IF we get our act together, we should have an 80% change of securing the canadian bid and a 75% chance of being successful at that point. those are pretty damn good odds for an event of this significance for the host city BUT it will need vocal and significant grass roots support in addition to political and administrative "will" to bring about. do we have that yet? i would put the level of necessary support at this point in the process at 60% of where i think it should be and look forward to helping ratchet that upwards.
    i saw that ken:>

    i would love to see us win this for we could push to have the following completed by then and ready for the games:

    -LRT to YEG
    -WLRT to AHD
    -NLRT to NAIT
    -new multipurpose stadium downtown
    -revamped northlands grounds
    -rossdale flats redevelopment
    -new bridge to the downtown
    -new public library
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    If you were a betting man, what odds would you place on Edmonton getting the world's fair in 2017?

    Wouldn't we need to have our bid together in a hurry (within the next 2 years?)
    if i were a betting man wagering anything but automobiles, IF we get our act together, we should have an 80% change of securing the canadian bid and a 75% chance of being successful at that point. those are pretty damn good odds for an event of this significance for the host city BUT it will need vocal and significant grass roots support in addition to political and administrative "will" to bring about. do we have that yet? i would put the level of necessary support at this point in the process at 60% of where i think it should be and look forward to helping ratchet that upwards.
    i saw that ken:>

    i would love to see us win this for we could push to have the following completed by then and ready for the games:

    -LRT to YEG
    -WLRT to AHD
    -NLRT to NAIT
    -new multipurpose stadium downtown
    -revamped northlands grounds
    -rossdale flats redevelopment
    -new bridge to the downtown
    -new public library
    I will add on NE LRT to AHD

    SLRT to AHD
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •