Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: divided highway to the coast

I'd rather C2E than work!

It was necessary for connection in Kelowna. It is absolutely not necessary in Salmon Arm.

Salmon Arm does need a bypass though. There is room south of the town without having to build multi billion dollar bridges and tunnels.
    This being said I wish Kicking Horse phase 4 would have kept the tunnels.
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...n/consultation

Alberta - "You really need to spend billions to expand your highways. Also, we're totally going to shut off your oil supply."

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

We need good highways and railways to transport all that oil to the coast.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Justin just keeps wasting our money!
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Continued Contributor

7.4km for $159 million?
    Thats 21.48 million per km. That’s insane!

Widening roads in the mountains can be very expensive.

The cost is less than one bridge in Edmonton
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Great news for the wonderful province of BC

C2E SME

And the huge number of Albertans who use the highway to get to the Okanagan and elsewhere. I drove to Kelowna and back last weekend, and with all the twinning they've been doing over the past few years, it's gotten to the point where there's really only a couple trouble spots left. The drive has gotten shorter by an hour or more in the past 5 years, I'd say. I do wonder when the Feds will finally figure out that they have to tunnel under Roger's Pass, though.

97A though, ugh. No simple solutions there, either.

I thought it was just my lead-foot causing that time savings, but you're absolutely right. It's gotten so much better. As long as the weather isn't bad and there are no highway-closing incidents it's downright enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    And the huge number of Albertans who use the highway to get to the Okanagan and elsewhere. I drove to Kelowna and back last weekend, and with all the twinning they've been doing over the past few years, it's gotten to the point where there's really only a couple trouble spots left. The drive has gotten shorter by an hour or more in the past 5 years, I'd say. I do wonder when the Feds will finally figure out that they have to tunnel under Roger's Pass, though.

I still much prefer 16/5 to the TCH to get to the interior from Here. We did the #1 last summer and basically from Calgary all the way to Sicamous it was bumper to bumper, and literally stop & go traffic from Calgary until the Radium turnoff.

97A almost needs to be replaced with a complete bypass. It's very congested along Mara lake. They've made significant improvements south of there though. It's twinned all the way up to Armstrong now and the new stretch of highway between Vernon and Kelowna above Woods lake is a godsend.

C2E SME

Yeah, I'll generally take 22/11/93 instead of the QE2 so I can skip the Calgary to Louise nightmare. Roughly the same distance, lower speed limits, but less traffic and RCMP so I've found it to be generally the same time wise. At least in the summer. And much more pleasant!

C2E SME

Given the traffic volume on the Trans-Canada, I don’t mind some federal money spent on this section. I’d like to see some investment on parts of the Yellowhead to Kamloops, particularly near the Yellowhead Pass, and where there are turnoffs to adjacent farms.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Of course if you take forever the results are obvious

Hwy. 1 reopens between Revelstoke and Golden after third crash in 4 days
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5663140/r...way-crash-new/

I think the solution could be to twin Hwy 97B. Assuming that the Trans Canada Highway will be twinned between Sicamous and Salmon Arm anyway, Hwy 97B has friendlier terrain and only adds an additional 9 km from Sicamous.

They'll never tunnel under Rogers Pass, way too expensive. Mount MacDonald tunnel cost $500 million in 2006 dollars, for one track. A 4 lane road tunnel would probably cost around $2 billion.

C2E SME

Driving from Revelstoke to Sicamous today, I think the Trans-Canada highway will have to detour from the original route, given some properties along the route.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Three Valley Gap is a narrow gap. Straight up cliff on one side and deep lake on the other. That would be hard to widen.

Just blast into the cliffside? Can the cliff not overhang the highway. Up above an awning style shed roof or snow stops could protect the road where there’s risk of snow sliding down into the road.

Overhanging rock ledges aren't exactly stable. This used to be BC highway 6 beside Slocan Lake: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.7770...!7i8704!8i4352
    When the BC government finally decided that the long stretches of one lane with occasional pullouts and overhanging ledges needed fixed, they rebuilt the highway further up the mountainside.

Years of major detours on TransCanada Hwy. through Rockies loom

For multiple weeks at a time beginning next year, Highway 1 east of Golden will be closed to all traffic to allow for the twinning and doubling to four lanes of about four kilometres of the artery in the winding, cliff-hugging Kicking Horse Pass just east of the B.C. town.
    Upgrading of the hairpin stretch of highway will continue through to 2023-24, but it’s not clear if those road closures will extend throughout that entire time.
    The project’s price tag has ballooned since 2016 from $450 million to $601 million due to increases in labour, materials and design costs
    the lion’s share of the detoured traffic is expected to flow through the village of Radium Hot Springs, where officials say a roundabout is needed at the junction of Highways 93 and 95 to handle expected congestion.
    The Village of Radium Hot Springs says construction of that roundabout has been approved and should be completed by the end of next August.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ Have to wonder if this project is worth it. The previous Kickinghorse canyon projects have eliminated most of the traffic delays on that part of the highway. Removing the remaining slow section will only save about 5 minutes, even if you get stuck behind a slow moving truck. $600 million could probably twin the entire 20 km of congested highway from Golden to the scale instead.

C2E SME

It's more about closures due to rockfalls and avalanches than improving commuting times. That small section of the highway closes repeatedly in the winter because of that, and also requires a ton of rock scaling and the like on a continuous basis. That last section is coming up on 70 years old and it desperately needs to be upgraded.

Rockfalls, avalanches, collisions, wildlife, etc.

It's not about time savings, it's about keeping the highway open. I wonder what the cost in lost time is for logistics companies during those closures.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post

It's not about time savings, it's about keeping the highway open. I wonder what the cost in lost time is for logistics companies during those closures.
    No matter what the costs are they must absolutely pale in comparison to delays, slowed rush hours, gridlock, construction, etc in urban areas that regularly affect thousands or tens of thousands of people and businesses.

Scheduling such major projects should revolve around recessions. Most of such upgrades can and do sit on the table for years if not decades so when they are finally prioritized for the near term they should be holding back for the next recession. It support ailing small towns and feeds desperate underemployed workers and sustains companies that would otherwise face bankruptcy. Unfortunately tjninv just revolves around elections.
    Last edited by KC; 06-09-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Excellent news and sorely needed. The improved safety alone is well worth it, not to mention the millions in saved lost time due to delays and closures.

That detour through hwy's 93 and 95 though. That will be an area to avoid when the detour is in place.
    Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

No matter what the costs are they must absolutely pale in comparison to delays, slowed rush hours, gridlock, construction, etc in urban areas that regularly affect thousands or tens of thousands of people and businesses.

Scheduling such major projects should revolve around recessions. Most of such upgrades can and do sit on the table for years if not decades so when they are finally prioritized for the near term they should be holding back for the next recession. It support ailing small towns and feeds desperate underemployed workers and sustains companies that would otherwise face bankruptcy. Unfortunately tjninv just revolves around elections.
    It's a 4 year project. Odds are good it'll fall during a recession anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

It's a 4 year project. Odds are good it'll fall during a recession anyway.
    That’s the mistake the NDP made. You won’t get any contract concessions until the businesses feel the pain and fear the loss of work and fear bankruptcy.

The contracts need to be let during the downturn not before it, otherwise for the executives it’s just business and pricing as usual. Then they play hardball during the recession and boost their own bottom line at the expense of the taxpayer.

The government needs to delay work and then pursue cost savings during downturns in order to obtain more for less if it wishes to provide an offsetting boost in this public sector employment (disguised as private sector work but really just guys sucking on the taxpayers’ teats) to make up for some of the real private sector employment loss.

Moreover, if government bailouts happen before any hardship and fear is experienced, like the NDP did over the last few years, then the government leaders get zero credit for saving the day. In fact, this business as usual or preemptive spending just sets up the feeling of general entitlement and dissatisfaction with the government efforts for not bringing back the boom-time euphoria.
    Last edited by KC; 06-09-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Excellent news and sorely needed. The improved safety alone is well worth it, not to mention the millions in saved lost time due to delays and closures.

That detour through hwy's 93 and 95 though. That will be an area to avoid when the detour is in place.
    With the suggested $600 million price tag, me thinks you have a vested interest in this - rather than a balanced view on what those funds could do for competing needs.

^ Sure KC. Whatever you say.

I've driven that stretch of highway at all times of year, probably 60 or 70 times. It's dangerous, slow and prone to delays and shutdowns. Easily the stretch of TCH in the most dire condition in the west.

You have no clue how things work outside Alberta and its boom/bust cycle. Like most Albertans you display extreme myopia of anything outside this provinces' borders. So I would say your synopsis above is faulty and only serves to display your ignorance.
    Last edited by 240GLT; 06-09-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

It's more about closures due to rockfalls and avalanches than improving commuting times. That small section of the highway closes repeatedly in the winter because of that, and also requires a ton of rock scaling and the like on a continuous basis. That last section is coming up on 70 years old and it desperately needs to be upgraded.
    There is that I suppose. I will miss driving the last remnant of the old road when it is gone though.

I have to admit that I'm just as curious about this new roundabout in Radium as I am about the TCH #1 changes east of Golden.

Probably similar to the one out by Villeneuve, which I believe has won some awards.

Most of the curves will be staightened by bridging sections
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/ki...ncept-plan.pdf

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345