Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Jason Kenney and the UCP Performance - first year of power

LOL. You want to call other posters childish?? hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Most of the time, you're on block. Which is so much nicer for me.
    You sure seem to take my bait an awful lot, so I'm gonna have to doubt this.

I don't believe you about where you work, anyone can say anything.
    Plenty of people here know where I work & can vouch I don't work for the government. If you had half a clue you would have been able to figure it out, just like they did.

Unionized, lol. Okay,
    Bye noodle head...
    See ya later. I'm sure you'll keep on responding to me even though I'm on ignore. You can't help it.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    you looking in the mirror son?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

after seem soul-searching and self-analysis, i thought i would leave the Liberals and Trudeau - Performance Review thread alone for a short time and spend it on some threads with fewer biases, more objective posts and less childish behavior...

little did i know.

now i don't know where to turn to next.

although before i leave another thread for a short time, i think i'll leave a biased opinion post here first:

good government requires a constant balancing (over the medium to long term, not necessarily the short term) of income and expenses along with the needs and the expectations of the electorate, not all of which align even some of the time, never mind all of the time.

the province of alberta's expenses under the ndp were by most measures higher than they could/should be in some areas but (a) they inherited most of that and (b) that's not the real issue that they faced or that the current government also needs to face.

the real issue that the ndp inherited a structural deficit estimated before they were ever elected to be at least $8 billion a year. the province of alberta was clearly looking at an income deficit, not a spending deficit, regardless of who would have been elected. that income deficit was compounded by an infrastructure deficit that took decades to accumulate and which would, again, have to have been dealt with regardless of who would have been elected.

the ndp did not have a perfect record in their four years as the governing party but - particularly when it comes to economics - they drastically outperformed my expectations given that not even they expected to get elected and doing so gave them a caucus with little if any real experience or depth which actually says a great deal about notley and her cabinet with more of it good than bad.

the ndp's biggest failing - from my perspective - is that even in government they never stopped campaigning, a failing that is even more apparent now that they are once again in opposition. it's as if they don't seem to consider being in opposition as being a necessary and valuable role within government whether they are facing it or fulfilling it.

as far as expectations go, i am probably more concerned about the choices kenney seems predisposed to make and their likely negative long-term impact on the province economically as well as socially than i would have been under a second ndp term. hopefully i will be wrong this time (as i was last time) but i'm not yet optimistic.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    it's as if they don't seem to consider being in opposition as being a necessary and valuable role within government whether they are facing it or fulfilling it.
    At least they're providing an actual Opposition. The UCP provided no shadow budgets, walked out of votes & continue to act like impetuous, entitled children who knew they'd get what they wanted eventually, so why bother? Given the huge cultural conservative bias in Alberta, continued education & informing of the electorate is essential, though I can see how that can look "campaign-y" to some. It's an uphill struggle & the messaging is pretty consistent with what they used in their campaigns.

I'd not think that consistent messaging & holding to your platform even as you have to reiterate it for the umpteenth time to be a negative, but hey, everyone's got an opinion.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    Right.? So amusing, until it isn't
    Animals are my passion.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    it's as if they don't seem to consider being in opposition as being a necessary and valuable role within government whether they are facing it or fulfilling it.
    At least they're providing an actual Opposition. The UCP provided no shadow budgets, walked out of votes & continue to act like impetuous, entitled children who knew they'd get what they wanted eventually, so why bother? Given the huge cultural conservative bias in Alberta, continued education & informing of the electorate is essential, though I can see how that can look "campaign-y" to some. It's an uphill struggle & the messaging is pretty consistent with what they used in their campaigns.

I'd not think that consistent messaging & holding to your platform even as you have to reiterate it for the umpteenth time to be a negative, but hey, everyone's got an opinion.
    it's the across the board 24/7 continual campaigning that i'm referring to even when the event is - or should be - non-partisan...

as one example, it's being at a ribbon cutting or ground-breaking event to which the local mla has been invited because you always invite the local mla and then have the greetings delivered "on behalf of rachel notley and the ndp caucus" instead of "on behalf of the government of alberta" or "on behalf of the province of alberta".

they may be members of the opposition but they are still a part of the government whose role is to represent all of their constituents in one direction and to represent all of the government in the other. at some point, the partisanship needs to be left at the door.

ps. it bothers me just as much when the mla is a member of the governing party and says the same kind of thing. it also galls me to no end when there are cheques to be presented and credit is taken for things that many in the audience know would not have been approved if the presenter had had enough other mla's vote the way he or she did and i've seen that both when the presenter is in opposition and when the presenter is in government or in cabinet. it's been quite humourous sometimes to see an opposition mla and a cabinet minister both try and take credit for something that they have both opposed in one form or another - one of those hypocrisies upon which politicians earn their reputations i suppose.

after seem soul-searching and self-analysis, i thought i would leave the Liberals and Trudeau - Performance Review thread alone for a short time and spend it on some threads with fewer biases, more objective posts and less childish behavior...

little did i know.

now i don't know where to turn to next.

although before i leave another thread for a short time, i think i'll leave a biased opinion post here first:

good government requires a constant balancing (over the medium to long term, not necessarily the short term) of income and expenses along with the needs and the expectations of the electorate, not all of which align even some of the time, never mind all of the time.

the province of alberta's expenses under the ndp were by most measures higher than they could/should be in some areas but (a) they inherited most of that and (b) that's not the real issue that they faced or that the current government also needs to face.

the real issue that the ndp inherited a structural deficit estimated before they were ever elected to be at least $8 billion a year. the province of alberta was clearly looking at an income deficit, not a spending deficit, regardless of who would have been elected. that income deficit was compounded by an infrastructure deficit that took decades to accumulate and which would, again, have to have been dealt with regardless of who would have been elected.

the ndp did not have a perfect record in their four years as the governing party but - particularly when it comes to economics - they drastically outperformed my expectations given that not even they expected to get elected and doing so gave them a caucus with little if any real experience or depth which actually says a great deal about notley and her cabinet with more of it good than bad.

the ndp's biggest failing - from my perspective - is that even in government they never stopped campaigning, a failing that is even more apparent now that they are once again in opposition. it's as if they don't seem to consider being in opposition as being a necessary and valuable role within government whether they are facing it or fulfilling it.

as far as expectations go, i am probably more concerned about the choices kenney seems predisposed to make and their likely negative long-term impact on the province economically as well as socially than i would have been under a second ndp term. hopefully i will be wrong this time (as i was last time) but i'm not yet optimistic.
    Good post.

I found Notley to be refreshingly level headed, unemotional, and in many ways very Lougheed-like. She and her NDP team accomplished many positive things.

Economically and even at the personal level, the hated carbon tax wasn’t as big a deal as it was made out to be. The utility legality fiasco was a huge slip up but something we could recover from. The minimum wage increase impacted very few people but sure got a lot of press. On most of these issues I don’t think people really notice the changes. Even aggregated the impacts weren’t all that great. (It’s still global oil prices, oil sector construction and oil, gas, agricultural access to foreign markets that change lives of the average voter.)

Where I found Notley lacking was in
    1) her failure to come out and defend her government’s actions including the high/higher level of debt spending. (Preventing an economic collapse by increasing debt levels to create a soft landing is a very reasonable approach)
    2) not playing hardball with the private sector and using the savings to help bail out the private sector and those losing their jobs in the private sector
    3) not altering her carbon tax when it became clear that it bought us nothing (it should have been kept but she could have said cut it in half saying that we the Feds weren’t stepping up to help.)
    4) not shifting to highly visible austerity stance in her last year in order to reflect the new reality fact that our incredible oil sand sector has turned to **** in the face of record shale US production and pipeline blockades.
    Last edited by KC; 15-08-2019 at 06:21 PM.

But #4 is diametrically opposed to #1. Just look at Saskatchewan for an example of how and austerity approach turned out as opposed to Notley's. A case can be made that a downturn, especially one with low interest rates, is exactly the time for the province to increase spending. All too often we see the big ticket government projects being announced during the boom times when the prices for material and labour are at a peak.

This is the corner that the Conservatives have painted us into. By moving royalty revenue from the Heritage Fund into general revenues, they've not only made us more vulnerable to the volatility of world oil prices, it also means that for a party to advocate reversing that stance would be campaigning on raising taxes in order to replace the royalties to fund the government. Regardless of how much better off we'd be with a larger rainy day fund to see us through the bust cycles, The conservatives (the philosophy, not the party necissarily) would simply scream "They want to raise your taxes" and Albertans would follow along like sheep.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

this will now be at least the third consecutive government who - because of silly election promises - who won't have the fortitude to bring in a harmonized sales tax for alberta, something that would have almost balanced the provincial budget on its own, would have gone a long way to preventing the accumulated debt to rise the way it has and enabled the province to start to correct that imbalance. this is one tradition where the ndp is just as guilty as the pc's and the upc.

^

this will now be at least the third consecutive government who - because of silly election promises - who won't have the fortitude to bring in a harmonized sales tax for alberta, something that would have almost balanced the provincial budget on its own, would have gone a long way to preventing the accumulated debt to rise the way it has and enabled the province to start to correct that imbalance. this is one tradition where the ndp is just as guilty as the pc's and the upc.
    A sales tax would initially depress spending and kill jobs to some extent. However, it would allow the government to make more intelligent decisions as in when to strategically take on debt vs having to take on debt when it’s the very opposite time that you’d want to be taking on debt - as in a recession. (We aren’t a global power where our recessions bring down interest rates. We can go into recession like that of the 1980s at very high interest rates. Think of the immense amount of wealth that bad luck timing stripped from Alberta!)

Unfortunately the key to adding alternative stabilizing taxes is the need for a reward for the voters or a desperate voter base that sees the status quo as bringing plague and the black death. Maybe Kenney can spin it as paying down NDP debt and then - forget to remove it.

I do think that our reliance on oil royalties means that a better system should be built to somehow reflect and adjust to the inherent volatility and eventual demise of the sector. When the sources of revenue fall, something eventually had to be cut back and hiding it through debt is a path to permanent loss of provincial wealth.

Public sector services should be ranked and stratified. Eg you are a class 1 core service so 90% of your budget is protected. Plan around losing 10% overnight! Those guys up the hall though are a class 3 service and only 40% of their budget is protected. Contracts should have declining as well as escalating scales. Wages have to be able to be cut when depressions hit.

Because your average Albertan has been brainwashed to believe that a sales tax is simply evil. It's the whole "Alberta Advantage" fiction of low taxes. We sell our oil for the lowest price because we're selling bitumen instead of a product that most refineries can use. That limits our market to those refineries, mostly on the Gulf coast that can upgrade it. If it was the forestry sector, we'd be selling the logs instead of lumber or finished products.

How do we get out of this? You've got me. We're locked in the "Taxes are eeevvviiilll!!!!" mindset with no obvious way out of it.

If the NDP had proposed a sales tax to replace the royalty diversion, they would have lost even more seats than they did. So we're locked into the boom-bust cycle of spending like drunken sailors when the times are good and demanding that the government cut spending while not cutting services during the bad. Lather, rinse, repeat.

But sure, let's call for independence like Kenney is doing and blame it all on everyone but ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    But #4 is diametrically opposed to #1. Just look at Saskatchewan for an example of how and austerity approach turned out as opposed to Notley's. A case can be made that a downturn, especially one with low interest rates, is exactly the time for the province to increase spending. All too often we see the big ticket government projects being announced during the boom times when the prices for material and labour are at a peak.

This is the corner that the Conservatives have painted us into. By moving royalty revenue from the Heritage Fund into general revenues, they've not only made us more vulnerable to the volatility of world oil prices, it also means that for a party to advocate reversing that stance would be campaigning on raising taxes in order to replace the royalties to fund the government. Regardless of how much better off we'd be with a larger rainy day fund to see us through the bust cycles, The conservatives (the philosophy, not the party necissarily) would simply scream "They want to raise your taxes" and Albertans would follow along like sheep.
    It’s the timing and the assessment that matters. The province had billions in its stabilization fund but jumped at the chance go burn through that during the 2008/09 panic. Then in 2015 or 2016 savings disappeared overnight. A few billion is chump change for our now large population.

The NDP pretty much had to do what they did do - borrow and spend. That recession ended though and action was needed to prepare to fight the next battle. They however kept fighting the last war - maybe waiting for $110/bbl oil and hundreds of billions in investment capital infusions to start flowing back into Alberta’s economy in a new bubble.

Austerity budgets are insane during declines but debt-spending budgets are insane when your key exports may be sliding towards permanent obsolescence. Worse when they are commodities that are naturally volatile and where the lowest cost producer wins. It’s simple simple simple yet our political leaders can’t grasp that reality. They simply count on, and worse, assume that, inflation will erase the debt.

So continued debt buildup just increases the risk that what might otherwise be stabilized through modest tax increases and spending cuts instead leads to massive cuts and maybe massive tax increases. (Think - same logic in a failure to act on risk of global warming. The problem compounds. Magical solutions may not present themselves. ...)
    Last edited by KC; 15-08-2019 at 10:44 PM.

The timing was years ago when the Conservatives decided royalties were general revenue instead of an investment in the future.

Good luck convincing Albertans to change that now. They're content with their artificially low taxes and Ralph Bucks.

it's the across the board 24/7 continual campaigning that i'm referring to even when the event is - or should be - non-partisan...

as one example, it's being at a ribbon cutting or ground-breaking event to which the local mla has been invited because you always invite the local mla and then have the greetings delivered "on behalf of rachel notley and the ndp caucus" instead of "on behalf of the government of alberta" or "on behalf of the province of alberta".
    Wonder where they learned that trick from: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...article569222/

they may be members of the opposition but they are still a part of the government whose role is to represent all of their constituents in one direction and to represent all of the government in the other. at some point, the partisanship needs to be left at the door.
    That's richer than gold-leaf-encrusted lava cake coming from a blue-blooded conservative.

C2E SME

I wonder when they’ll bring in slavery:
    https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...lcohol-servers
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    A sales tax would initially depress spending and kill jobs to some extent.
    So people are going to go without toilet paper?

It is not like Albertans will suddenly go cross border shopping to BC and Sask. to get a car full of sales tax free goods. The only reason why a sales tax has not been imposed is because the politicians want to preserve their jobs and power.

The timing was years ago when the Conservatives decided royalties were general revenue instead of an investment in the future.

Good luck convincing Albertans to change that now. They're content with their artificially low taxes and Ralph Bucks.
    The politicians are not leaders. Leaders propose a good idea that would benefit all Albertans and then educate, discuss, debate and convince the public of the benefits of their idea.

Instead politicians just play games with taxpayer money and run up a debt for another generation after the politicians get their golden pensions and move to BC.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

That's richer than gold-leaf-encrusted lava cake coming from a blue-blooded conservative.
    sorry to disappoint you... i suppose there's not enough of your self-projected anticipation of bias to make you happy?

at least you used a small c in conservative.

I just don't really remember you holding conservative parties to the same standards when the tables were turned. One standard for "us", one standard for "them". I'll happily retract if that's not the case.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I just don't really remember you holding conservative parties to the same standards when the tables were turned. One standard for "us", one standard for "them". I'll happily retract if that's not the case.
    so now you need to be party to my actual conversations with government and opposition and political party members of all parties before you can accept my opinion and thoughts on something as being my own?

my opinions and thoughts are openly accepted by you as mine as long as you can demonstrate bias but my opinions and thoughts are challengeable by you as not really mine when you don't detect enough preconceived bias?

so now you need to be party to my actual conversations with government and opposition and political party members of all parties before you can accept my opinion and thoughts on something as being my own?
    my opinions and thoughts are openly accepted by you as mine as long as you can demonstrate bias but my opinions and thoughts are challengeable by you as not really mine when you don't detect enough preconceived bias?
    Huh? I'm calling you a mild hypocrite, not accusing you of broadly being a ventriloquist's dummy. I completely agree your opinion & thoughts are the product of you. I also think you hold conservatives to a different standard than you hold progressives in a way that continues to reinforce your own beliefs.

That's it, that's all.

Thanks for that amusing back n forth.

How about Kenney and his plan to review minimum wages? Lots of small businesses claiming they can't afford to pay the new minimum wages, but yet minimum wage isn't enough to live off of... Why do we keep propping up unsustainable businesses if they can't even afford to pay their employees fairly?

Maybe they will suggest that you tip the self serve cashier machine at Walmart...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^ The current government is moving rapidly towards a user pay model, whether it be government services or paying wages for workers in certain types of industries. If you need to access government services like land titles or motor vehicle services, or if you want to be served a drink at the bar, you are going to pay more. In some cases a lot more. At least as it comes to government services you'll have no choice. Servers wages will be determined at the whimsy of the consumer.

Drinks in bars, meals in restaurants went up, when wages went up. Its It's always passed down to the consumer. My daughter, is a manager of a lounge,she said they laid people off where she worked, tips weren't as good, neither were hours.
    My granddaughter, or one of them, backed all that up. She noticed, bums in seats went down, she doesn't rely on tips, because she still lives at home
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    A sales tax would initially depress spending and kill jobs to some extent.
    So people are going to go without toilet paper?

It is not like Albertans will suddenly go cross border shopping to BC and Sask. to get a car full of sales tax free goods. The only reason why a sales tax has not been imposed is because the politicians want to preserve their jobs and power.

The politicians are not leaders. Leaders propose a good idea that would benefit all Albertans and then educate, discuss, debate and convince the public of the benefits of their idea.

Instead politicians just play games with taxpayer money and run up a debt for another generation after the politicians get their golden pensions and move to BC.
    What you say is true, however leaders do not pass legislation and decide spending and taxation priorities unless they are also politicians.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ions-1.5249900

Former Edmonton city councillor and LGBTQ rights pioneer Michael Phair will be replaced by Kate Chisholm, a senior vice-president and Chief Legal and Sustainability Office for Capital Power. Phair was appointed chair of the University of Alberta in February 2016.
    Ray Pisani, president and CEO of Alberta Blue Cross, replaces former NDP Leader Ray Martin as the chair of the board of governors of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT).
    Alex Pourbaix, CEO of energy company Cenovus, has been named as board chair at Mount Royal University.
    Sue Mallon, the former chair, was appointed by the NDP government in December 2016.
    Jill Wyatt, another NDP appointment, is out as the chair of the University of Calgary's board.
    Geeta Sankappanavar, president of Grafton Asset Management, will take her place.
    All told, the provincial government appointed new board members at 11 of Alberta's post-secondary institutions.
    Ugh.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ions-1.5249900

Former Edmonton city councillor and LGBTQ rights pioneer Michael Phair will be replaced by Kate Chisholm, a senior vice-president and Chief Legal and Sustainability Office for Capital Power. Phair was appointed chair of the University of Alberta in February 2016.
    Ray Pisani, president and CEO of Alberta Blue Cross, replaces former NDP Leader Ray Martin as the chair of the board of governors of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT).
    Alex Pourbaix, CEO of energy company Cenovus, has been named as board chair at Mount Royal University.
    Sue Mallon, the former chair, was appointed by the NDP government in December 2016.
    Jill Wyatt, another NDP appointment, is out as the chair of the University of Calgary's board.
    Geeta Sankappanavar, president of Grafton Asset Management, will take her place.
    All told, the provincial government appointed new board members at 11 of Alberta's post-secondary institutions.
    Ugh.
    Why "Ugh"?

NDP Advanced Education Critic David Eggen warned the sweep was like a return to the days when former Progressive Conservative governments appointed their allies to agencies, boards and commissions. "This is a shameful return to the bad old days of cronyism and political favours given out in exchange for services and/or money," Eggen said.
    While the NDP named their allies to similar positions, Eggen claimed the system introduced by his government required prospective appointees to apply and undergo interviews.
    Eggen said the also NDP waited until terms ran out before naming people to positions.
    That's why. They're cutting short the terms of people who went through at least some sort of vetting process so they can stick their corporate buddies into the highest positions possible in public institutions as they see fit.

New conservatives, same as the old conservatives.

NDP Advanced Education Critic David Eggen warned the sweep was like a return to the days when former Progressive Conservative governments appointed their allies to agencies, boards and commissions. "This is a shameful return to the bad old days of cronyism and political favours given out in exchange for services and/or money," Eggen said.
    While the NDP named their allies to similar positions, Eggen claimed the system introduced by his government required prospective appointees to apply and undergo interviews.
    Eggen said the also NDP waited until terms ran out before naming people to positions.
    That's why. They're cutting short the terms of people who went through at least some sort of vetting process so they can stick their corporate buddies into the highest positions possible in public institutions as they see fit.

Lol, and the NDP didn't fill those positions with their union buddies and other allies when they came to power? So what if it happened sooner rather than later. And I can imagine the "interview process" done by the NDP was rather slanted towards any candidates they wanted in. Don't kid yourself, the people that were apppointed when the NDP "interviewed" them were dripping with orange colours. Eggan can claim whatever he wants. Sour grapes on your part, big surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post

Lol, and the NDP didn't fill those positions with their union buddies and other allies when they came to power? So what if it happened sooner rather than later. And I can imagine the "interview process" done by the NDP was rather slanted towards any candidates they wanted in. Don't kid yourself, the people that were apppointed when the NDP "interviewed" them were dripping with orange colours. Eggan can claim whatever he wants. Sour grapes on your part, big surprise.
    LOL
    Animals are my passion.

nothing surprising, all governments appoint their own people.

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    nothing surprising, all governments appoint their own people.
    Of course they do, you must live under a rock, not to know that..
    Animals are my passion.

Our favorite Edmonton Eskimos President of all-time (and failed UCP candidate), Len Rhodes, got appointed to chair the AGLC.

Len Rhodes, the former president of the Edmonton Eskimos who ran for the UCP in the last election, is the new chair of the agency overseeing alcohol, gambling and cannabis.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-ucp-1.5249882

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Just to clarify the meaning of a term once again...

"Sour grapes" does not simply mean that someone is bitter about a failure or a loss. It means that he is denigrating the value of what he was originally trying to achieve or acquire, in order to make himself feel better about not getting it.

So, in this instance, "sour grapes" would be if some New Democrat supporter were to say "Who cares if the NDP appointees don't get to keep their jobs? Those jobs are all useless anyway, they're better off doing something else."

C2E Continued Contributor

You can have that opinion, but it was at least more transparent, and required actual justification and qualifications. They also waited until peoples terms were over, unlike the UCP.

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post

You can have that opinion, but it was at least more transparent, and required actual justification and qualifications. They also waited until peoples terms were over, unlike the UCP.
    The pigs can't wait to get their snouts into the trough again. I am sure they were shocked after 2015 that being a good Conservative donor did not count for everything anymore, after 40 years of thinking they were entitled to their entitlements. Well good news for now for them, I suppose.

Everyone who is surprised by this, raise your hands. Now repeat after me "Trickle down doesn't work"

Varcoe: Energy minister disappointed corporate tax cut has not yet boosted oilpatch jobs

Alberta’s energy minister is “disappointed” petroleum producers haven’t boosted spending in the wake of the province lowering corporate taxes, but Sonya Savage is preaching patience — saying it will take time for the payoff to be felt.

The UCP government reduced the corporate income tax rate by one percentage point to 11 per cent effective July 1, part of a plan to lower it to eight per cent by 2022 to ignite job creation.

In second-quarter financial reports, several large oil and gas producers noted the impact on their bottom line. Only a few firms have increased spending plans that would create more employment.

“Some of them are using it to buy back shares and to reposition (and) balance their books. It’s the same as when you come across a windfall as a private citizen, you pay down the mortgage,” Savage said in an interview.

“We would like to see that money being invested into jobs. We’d like to see it being invested into projects; we’d like it to stay here in Alberta to create jobs.

“So yeah, we are a little disappointed in seeing what decisions have been made on where that investment, where that money, goes. But that’s decisions of corporate boards.”

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...f-fdd8003c9cb7

Everyone who is surprised by this, raise your hands. Now repeat after me "Trickle down doesn't work"

Varcoe: Energy minister disappointed corporate tax cut has not yet boosted oilpatch jobs

Alberta’s energy minister is “disappointed” petroleum producers haven’t boosted spending in the wake of the province lowering corporate taxes, but Sonya Savage is preaching patience — saying it will take time for the payoff to be felt.

The UCP government reduced the corporate income tax rate by one percentage point to 11 per cent effective July 1, part of a plan to lower it to eight per cent by 2022 to ignite job creation.

In second-quarter financial reports, several large oil and gas producers noted the impact on their bottom line. Only a few firms have increased spending plans that would create more employment.

“Some of them are using it to buy back shares and to reposition (and) balance their books. It’s the same as when you come across a windfall as a private citizen, you pay down the mortgage,” Savage said in an interview.

“We would like to see that money being invested into jobs. We’d like to see it being invested into projects; we’d like it to stay here in Alberta to create jobs.

“So yeah, we are a little disappointed in seeing what decisions have been made on where that investment, where that money, goes. But that’s decisions of corporate boards.”

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...f-fdd8003c9cb7
    I saw somewhere that 14,000 jobs were lost in Alberta since Kenney came to power. He spent years complaining about the economy under the previous government and implying it would magically turn around the moment he was elected. Now he is going to have to wear it and I think it will eventually start to get quite uncomfortable for Kenney and crew.

That is one reason why I expect in a couple of years when Albertans are getting more restless with the languishing economy (for those who remember the Getty years, it was interesting to watch a initially quite popular government gradually go to the basement in the polls), Kenney will high tail it back to Ottawa, as soon as the Federal Conservative leadership opens up.

It's almost as if the O&G sector react more the the price of oil than tax cuts. Who knew? Of course, for all we know, Notley and the NDP are continuing to manipulate the world price for oil.

Why would the Kenny government expect to see a different reaction by businesses to tax windfalls than what happened when other businesses in different jurisdictions got tax breaks?

Because 'Conservatives"

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Why would the Kenny government expect to see a different reaction by businesses to tax windfalls than what happened when other businesses in different jurisdictions got tax breaks?
    The definition of insanity ... ?

However, I suspect Kenney doesn't really care, he has rewarded his friends and hopes they will help him out when he goes back to Ottawa again.

https://www.theprogressreport.ca/the...s_club_is_back

More than 40 per cent of the 61 people appointed to an agency, board or commission on Friday have donated to a conservative political party, leadership race or third party advertiser--and that’s not counting folks who’ve donated to conservative PACs through their business (we haven’t pulled all the corporate records yet.)
    When Jason Kenney says he’s obsessed with job creation, it seems like he’s focused on jobs for a few specific people.
    And before the "both sides" bootlickers come around

The Alberta NDP and Rachel Notley on the other hand took this file extremely seriously. They let terms expire for Tory hacks (Kenney just unceremoniously dumped them) before filling appointments. They cut perks and harmonized pay at these bodies for their senior staff – no more country club memberships. They encouraged diverse and working class folk to apply and they had a professional interview process.
    Their approach contrasts in a big way with the Notley government’s fundamental respect for the institutions of power. Kenney doesn’t care about that. He’s got an unpopular austerity agenda he wants to force through as fast as possible so people forget about it by 2023 and he needs friendly, compliant allies, especially at the universities that are going to immediately eat it in the upcoming budget. To accomplish this political goal he quickly fired the NDP appointees and immediately installed his own cronies.

Yup, all legal and above board. That's why they used an envelope full of cash.

Kamikaze UCP candidate went from nearly broke to flush after getting envelopes with $60,000, documents allege
    New details revealed of alleged scheme to circumvent election laws for Jeff Callaway's leadership campaign

Alberta's election commissioner alleges that the scheme unfolded as follows.

On Sept. 11, Davies met Lore in the lobby of Bankers Hall in downtown Calgary, outside the Royal Bank.

Lore then had his bank wire $60,000 to Davies' Royal Bank account, and then the two men entered the branch to withdraw the funds.

"Lore told the teller that Davies wanted to make some large withdrawals and they might need to speak to a manager," read the findings.

Lore handled that end of the transaction, according to the commissioner, and the bank manager complied with his requests.

Davies then withdrew bank drafts and cash in order to provide funds to those who had agreed to make straw donations.

The duo called Callaway, who arrived at the bank a short time later to collect an envelope of cash from Davies.

"This handoff happened inside the bank at your direction," read the findings against Callaway. "Davies was instructed to hand over the cash to you, and you would then give it to the straw contributors."

While the trio was still at the bank, Christopher Maitland showed up, received a bank draft for $3,000, walked into the CIBC branch within Bankers Hall and deposited the draft.

He then withdrew that amount in cash and walked back and gave the cash to either Davies or Callaway, according to the commissioner's findings.

---

Kenney and Callaway's campaigns worked closely together, with direction coming from Kenney's team on everything from talking points to when Callaway would drop out of the race to support Kenney.

Both men deny the allegations, but CBC News has obtained emails and documents that outline the collaboration, including a resignation speech emailed to Callaway's team from Kenney's then-deputy chief of staff, Matt Wolf.

Wolf was recently rehired and joined the staff of the premier's office as director of issues management.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...kaze-1.5255041

Kamikaze UCP candidate went from nearly broke to flush after getting envelopes with $60,000, documents allege
    New details revealed of alleged scheme to circumvent election laws for Jeff Callaway's leadership campaign

On Sept. 11, Davies met Lore in the lobby of Bankers Hall in downtown Calgary, outside the Royal Bank.

Lore then had his bank wire $60,000 to Davies' Royal Bank account, and then the two men entered the branch to withdraw the funds.

"Lore told the teller that Davies wanted to make some large withdrawals and they might need to speak to a manager," read the findings.

Lore handled that end of the transaction, according to the commissioner, and the bank manager complied with his requests.

Davies then withdrew bank drafts and cash in order to provide funds to those who had agreed to make straw donations.

The duo called Callaway, who arrived at the bank a short time later to collect an envelope of cash from Davies.

"This handoff happened inside the bank at your direction," read the findings against Callaway. "Davies was instructed to hand over the cash to you, and you would then give it to the straw contributors."

While the trio was still at the bank, Christopher Maitland showed up, received a bank draft for $3,000, walked into the CIBC branch within Bankers Hall and deposited the draft.

He then withdrew that amount in cash and walked back and gave the cash to either Davies or Callaway, according to the commissioner's findings.

---

Kenney and Callaway's campaigns worked closely together, with direction coming from Kenney's team on everything from talking points to when Callaway would drop out of the race to support Kenney.

Both men deny the allegations, but CBC News has obtained emails and documents that outline the collaboration, including a resignation speech emailed to Callaway's team from Kenney's then-deputy chief of staff, Matt Wolf.

Wolf was recently rehired and joined the staff of the premier's office as director of issues management.

And that folks is how you would stage a coup in Alberta if you were so inclined (as in morally bankrupt).

Oh, but in this case it’s all a mistake and overreach.

Court documents detail how $60,000 flowed to UCP ‘kamikaze’ candidate

“On Aug. 2, Callaway filed an application for a judicial review of the penalties, claiming that election commissioner Lorne Gibson “incorrectly” or “unreasonably” exercised his powers. Callaway says the commissioner “demonstrated an abuse of authority” by interfering with the internal matters of a political party prior to an election period.”

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...dates-campaign
    Last edited by KC; 22-08-2019 at 11:18 PM.

---

And that folks is how you would stage a coup in Alberta if you were so inclined (as in morally bankrupt).

Oh, but in this case it’s all a mistake and overreach.

Court documents detail how $60,000 flowed to UCP ‘kamikaze’ candidate

“On Aug. 2, Callaway filed an application for a judicial review of the penalties, claiming that election commissioner Lorne Gibson “incorrectly” or “unreasonably” exercised his powers. Callaway says the commissioner “demonstrated an abuse of authority” by interfering with the internal matters of a political party prior to an election period.”

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...dates-campaign
    Reminds me of the good old PC days and the purported shopping bag full of cash in the 1990's exchanged in the parking lot of the Continental Inn in West Edmonton. Perhaps not much has changed, except now the location has become a bit more upscale and no secret Israeli bank account this time, at least not that has been discovered so far.

'Politicians have to know better': Activist criticizes MLA for quoting Nazi in deleted tweet

In fairness, it's believable to me that Hunter didn't know that von Braun was a Nazi, since he(von Braun) was often talked about just as a rocket scientist, and these days isn't much talked about at all.

(And yes, I know the Tom Lehrer song.)

I'll also say it's quite likely that von Braun never said that.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    'Politicians have to know better': Activist criticizes MLA for quoting Nazi in deleted tweet

In fairness, it's believable to me that Hunter didn't know that von Braun was a Nazi, since he(von Braun) was often talked about just as a rocket scientist, and these days isn't much talked about at all.

(And yes, I know the Tom Lehrer song.)

I'll also say it's quite likely that von Braun never said that.
    von Braun was the reason the Americans got to the moon. He became a US citizen. Ford gave him the NAtional Medal of Science in 1975.

I liked his punny quote in the early 60's.
    "There is just one thing I can promise you about the outer-space program. Your tax dollar will go farther."

I don't know if von Braun actually said what the minister tweeted, but I don't understand why some got up in arms about tweeting about von Braun. If he quoted Himmler or Goebbels, that would be assinine. But von Braun? The guy's an engineering legend.

Did I hear the courts cleared Kenney of any wrong doing,but changed another guy?
    Animals are my passion.

Only from the voices in your head, dear. Maybe you should go have a lie down until they stop telling you lies.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I don't know if von Braun actually said what the minister tweeted, but I don't understand why some got up in arms about tweeting about von Braun. If he quoted Himmler or Goebbels, that would be assinine. But von Braun? The guy's an engineering legend.
    Well, maybe if it was a discussion about some technical point in engineering, and von Braun had said something that backed up my argument, I would quote von Braun. But given that the quote was just one of those faux-philosophical bits of folk wisdom, if it were me, I would just find something else from Bartlett's that wasn't attributed to a Nazi.

But again, I can believe the guy didn't know the history.

C2E SME

So a $3.3 B projected deficit is a problem?
    https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...ter-financials

Good, we cant rely on the feds, and the NDP were drunken sailors..
    Animals are my passion.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Instead of Trump buying out Greenland, can we put the for sale sign up here in Alberta?
    Last edited by envaneo; 27-08-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Instead of Trump buying out Greenland, can we put the for sale sign up here in Alberta?
    That's clearly obviously already after the last provincial election, Alberta's for sale, and we've already mostly sold out.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

How about those wasted assets of 250 grain cars that rust away in Manitoba?

'Take an Alberta break': 3 years after Alberta rail cars parked in rural Manitoba, farmer grows weary
    https://www-cbc-ca.cdn.ampproject.or...toba-1.5259233

"Take an Alberta break."

It's a slogan Deleau, Man., area farmer Ian Robson has gotten used to seeing in recent years. It's plastered in the top left corner on many of the more than 250 rail hopper cars that have sat on the Canadian Pacific Rail line that runs through his rural Manitoba property for nearly four years.

"I'm tired of looking at them" Robson told CBC News from his front yard, located east of the community, about 250 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg. "I used to have a good view of the other side of my property."

Robson said the hopper cars were parked on the line in October 2015. Nearly four years later, more than five kilometres of the dark blue cars with "Alberta" scrawled across in gold-coloured lettering sit idle and empty on the tracks — 258 in total.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 27-08-2019 at 12:52 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Heck, why not sell Western Canada to Trump? After all if votes only matter in Ontario/Qubec, who cares right? Oops forgot about the oil. lol

Disappointing to see this UCP practice of dumping inconvenient news at late Friday noons.

School fees: https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ol-busing-rule

Auto insurance costs: https://globalnews.ca/news/5839389/a...e-cap-expires/

Quote Originally Posted by Snail View Post
    Disappointing to see this UCP practice of dumping inconvenient news at late Friday noons.

I'm curious as to why you're disappointed in that.

I am not someone who believes that the UCP is exponentially more evil than other parties, but I wouldn't expect them to be much better either, and timing the release of information to minimize backlash is a pretty standard technique across the political spectrum.

Our car insurance has gone up every year..
    Animals are my passion.

Jason Kenney sure picked a bright bulb to be associate minister of health:

That distribution of naloxone kits, he says, might be enabling greater drug use — a suggestion strongly opposed by a top Calgary medical professional.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rees-1.5266782

While we're at it, we should reconsider seat belts and air bags, as all they do is encourage reckless driving!
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Smoke detectors encourage people to burn down their houses.

I am not someone who believes that the UCP is exponentially more evil than other parties, but I wouldn't expect them to be much better either, and timing the release of information to minimize backlash is a pretty standard technique across the political spectrum.
    Not in the sense of oh this party is evil and that one all saints and angels, disappointing in the sense that our political discourse has become void of hard conversations. We avoid asking and answering difficult questions. And I get it, how social media has become our public forum, and being designed for advertising, not dialogue, politics has also become sound bites, memes, character assassination and whataboutism.

But I wish politicians of all stripes treat people as more intelligent. If the provinces books look bad, and we need belt tightening, put forth the evidence and your plan. People get it. I think that’s a key reason many in the province voted UCP. Instead, we are being fed a narrative of things are bad, but no evidence, just trust us. No clear plan yet (we will see the fall budget, I guess). And these drip drip of Friday afternoon announcements. Boards are replaced. Funding for programs are cut. Now school fees and auto insurance are going higher. Again why shy away from the hard conversations?

[quote]That distribution of naloxone kits, he says, might be enabling greater drug use[/quoote]

Seems like the only "correct" answer is "totally doesn't", even though no one has actually demonstrated that.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E SME

Smoke detectors encourage people to burn down their houses.
    LOL!

Babies encourage people to have unprotected sex!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

from a johns hopkins university abstract paper on addictive behaviour:

"Concerns about patients included increased risk-taking behaviors, opiate withdrawal symptoms, potential repeat overdose related to withdrawal-discomfort, decreased contact with medical providers, and stigma."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...06460316301952

this is not to suggest how prevalent this behaviour is or to even hint at its prevalence coming anywhere near justifying a reduction in the increasing availability of naloxone. it is simply an acknowledgement that along with the widespread benefits of naloxone availability there may well be a small subset of behavioural concerns that should be addressed, not ignored or dismissed out of hand as non-existent just because you disagree with the politics of someone noting that potential.

Not in the sense of oh this party is evil and that one all saints and angels, disappointing in the sense that our political discourse has become void of hard conversations. We avoid asking and answering difficult questions. And I get it, how social media has become our public forum, and being designed for advertising, not dialogue, politics has also become sound bites, memes, character assassination and whataboutism.

But I wish politicians of all stripes treat people as more intelligent. If the provinces books look bad, and we need belt tightening, put forth the evidence and your plan. People get it. I think that’s a key reason many in the province voted UCP. Instead, we are being fed a narrative of things are bad, but no evidence, just trust us. No clear plan yet (we will see the fall budget, I guess). And these drip drip of Friday afternoon announcements. Boards are replaced. Funding for programs are cut. Now school fees and auto insurance are going higher. Again why shy away from the hard conversations?
    Auto insurance (like pretty much everything else) tends to go up each year, due to the usual culprits of inflation and higher costs. The present system has been very restrictive, in that, with not being able to get higher overall increases approved, insurers are unable to charge bad drivers and high risks appropriate premiums and have had to take radical action across the board, never seen before. I work in the industry and I see lack of coverage available for drivers with more than one accident, full premiums required to be paid up front, and huge deductibles for others. Auto insurance has been a big bag of *** for several years now, as repair costs soar and bodily injury claims spike, but the rate restriction instituted by the former government put the industry up against the wall for this class of business. The evidence is there that auto insurance is in trouble and needs to be fixed. This is a good first step.

Well that's good to hear,thank you.
    Animals are my passion.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The survey house I work for here in Edmonton has done several surveys for AAIRB and AMVIC. Just a couple of things I've noticed while doing these surveys: Respondents across all demographics are mixed over atonomus vehicles. Respondents I spoke with are also supportive of current cannabis legislation. Good drivers that have never had an at fault claim continue to see their premiums rise. Regulation of this industry is important but good drivers need to be rewarded not mixed in with the bad ones. At least that's what respondents are telling me.

The survey house I work for here in Edmonton has done several surveys for AAIRB and AMVIC. Just a couple of things I've noticed while doing these surveys: Respondents across all demographics are mixed over atonomus vehicles. Respondents I spoke with are also supportive of current cannabis legislation. Good drivers that have never had an at fault claim continue to see their premiums rise. Regulation of this industry is important but good drivers need to be rewarded not mixed in with the bad ones. At least that's what respondents are telling me.
    You work for a survey firm? Cool. I used to do that back in the late 80s and early 90s. Kind of a monotonous job(I was almost always on the phones), but you got interesting impressions of people's opinions, habits etc.

Except for the odd mystery-shopper assignment, all the research was done by phone. Is that still the case, or are you sending out surveys via e-mail and social media now?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The company I work for was bought out by Yardstick Technologies (a block away from Rogers place arena) I'm not sure they will be doing survey's like I did over the phone. We used to just call locally, in a small call centre 107th/124th street. The people and work (when we had work) were awesome. Hardly boring. I learned a lot. I'm looking forward to returning asap but it looks like that wont be until the New Year. I'm on full pension, with an abundance of time on my hands this summer. I hope to work just 3 days a week when we get back. We used to have "On Site" survey's doing events like Porka paluza<spelling? K-days that sort of thing. I didn't do those bc I have bad dental work (getting that looked after now) Survey work over the phone is very interesting.

The people and work (when we had work) were awesome. Hardly boring.
    Yeah, when I said the job was monotonous, I was mostly refering to the endless barage of refusals, hang-ups, answering machines, no answers, call back laters, respondents obviously lacking the language skills to do a survey(but you still had to read the spiel), etc. The actual surveys WERE pretty interesting, a lot of the time, when you finally got someone to speak with you.

On that note, a few surveys I recall...

...a political poll during the '88 election, which contained a question about this candidate, and whether the respondent had an opinion on the fact that he was First Nations. Never found out which party commissioned that one, but I can imagine it would have caused a bit of a scandal had the question been leaked. (Even if it was his own party asking.)

...a survey asking people which type of radio station they would like to see introduced to the Edmonton market. Not sure, but I THINK that was the survey that got us the Bear.

...a survey where we had to play the respondent a tape-recording of a song promoting downtown Edmonton. It had kind of an African American gospel sound...

"There's a place...!"

"Yes, there is...!"

"Where I want to go...!"

"Want to go...!"

"There's so much to see and do..."

"...dowwwwn-towwwwn"

I think that one was for the DBA. Obviously test-marketing a radio ad, but I'm not sure if they ever used it.

And yeah, the workforce was an interesting one: lotta headbangers, housewives bringing in a second paycheque, transients from elsewhere in Canada, etc.
    Last edited by overoceans; 02-09-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...dget-1.5267846

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...eeping-reforms

i haven't had a chance to read the entire report but the reporting is interesting...

cut education administration and governance from 24% to 17%? how about moving to a single education system for the province of alberta (like the province alberta was compared to?)? and do the same with health as well...

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...ecommendations

at first glance, i don't think any of the 26 recommendations are particularly draconian but - as with most things - how they are approached and implemented certainly has the potential to be.

It sounds a lot like what Jim Prentice said, except the way he said it, rubbed some people the wrong way.
    I have never heard the feds talk about lowering our debt, that also worries me.
    I thought it was the wrong move when Stelmach stopped healthcare premiums, it could of been on a sliding scale, with lower income earners, paying next to nothing
    Animals are my passion.

^^Alberta was compared to BC but not Ontario which spends proportionately more here (27.1%) on administration and governance than Alberta (24.6%).

See Table 13 here: https://www.alberta.ca/assets/docume...nel-report.pdf

Without delving deeper, it's really hard to know why BC is such an outlier when it comes to administration and governance costs. It's possible BC delivers more programs and services at the school level rather than through school boards.

It sounds a lot like what Jim Prentice said, except the way he said it, rubbed some people the wrong way.
    I thought it was the wrong move when Stelmach stopped healthcare premiums, it could of been on a sliding scale, with lower income earners, paying next to nothing
    One of the good things Stemach did. If you are going to have a tax, might as well just call it that. They weren't "premiums" - smokers/non smokers, healthy and unhealthy all paid the same. Better off people they were often covered by their employers and treated as a taxable benefit, so the burden was mostly on the working lower middle class.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    One of the good things Stemach did. If you are going to have a tax, might as well just call it that. They weren't "premiums" - smokers/non smokers, healthy and unhealthy all paid the same. Better off people they were often covered by their employers and treated as a taxable benefit, so the burden was mostly on the working lower middle class.
    I disagree. But that's why I posted what I did. I never liked Stelmach, for many reasons.
    Animals are my passion.

I believe this was a topic during the UCP campaign... I wonder how many of its proponents are likewise actually in denial...

Conversion therapy group founder comes out as gay, apologizes

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...a2a8656c5.html

How long until we read a similar story about Jason Kenney's brother? Or Jason himself?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I disagree. But that's why I posted what I did. I never liked Stelmach, for many reasons.
    most people who knew/know him or worked with him liked stelmach (and for good reason in my opinion), also for many reasons.

most people who knew/know him or worked with him liked stelmach (and for good reason in my opinion), also for many reasons.
    I liked him , we met with Ed quite a few ,times. (moreso after he left) Nice man, good farmer, not a very good premier.imnsho
    Animals are my passion.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Put it to a Provincial referundum: Temporary short term sales tax with provisions.

how about moving to a single education system for the province of alberta (like the province alberta was compared to?)? and do the same with health as well...
    Good luck convincing devout Catholic Jason Kenney to be the one to do away with the Catholic School boards.

You'd need to amend not Just the Alberta act of 1905 but also the Canadian Constitution unless you can get the Catholics to agree.

Guaranteed at Confederation
    Check out Section 93 of our country's founding legal document.

It guarantees the right to separate, religious schools to any "class of persons" who already had them when Canada became a country.

This was a way to keep the two dominant religious groups at the time happy.

It meant Catholics and Protestants could each educate their kids according to their own beliefs, even if they found themselves to be a religious minority in a particular area.

But wait, you might say. Alberta wasn't a province at Confederation.

So why does this apply to us?

Well, the Alberta Act of 1905, which created the province, included a similar provision.

It guarantees education rights that existed "at the date of the passing of this Act."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ools-1.4614462

Put it to a Provincial referundum: Temporary short term sales tax with provisions.
    It was put to a referendum, it was called the election this year in which the UCP won a large majority.

How many reports over the past number of years has shown Alberta is a high salary, high cost jurisdiction. Government spending drives a large percentage of this in the province. If the govt reduces public sector pay, this will trickle through the economy and wage pressure will fall. A side effect of this will be that the amount of money we send to Ottawa as transfer payments will also fall.

The latest report also suggested that a PST is not the best way forward, it simply means more money for govt to spend. Our current model is U-N-S-U-S-T-A-I-N-A-B-L-E

Nobody is saying lay off tons of employees, simply use them more efficiently A) increase the magic 85 number B) Sliding scale of pay cuts C) Increased employee contributions towards pension D) Get rid of 35 hour weeks, standardize to 40 hours per week F) Manage sick time more effectively G) Get rid of non-performing assets ( ie, people)

It's not rocket science people.

rupikhalon001 wrote "It's not rocket science people."

Did you consider the dozens of union agreements that guarantee protection from A-B-C-D-F & G and the court challenges, possible strikes and other union actions that would devolve into losing Kenney's base?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

no, it wasn't put to a referendum. the ndp also promised not to bring in a pst, a promise first made by notley on the 2015 election. i said early on that the first party to campaign on a pst would earn my vote and that included the ndp. none the ucp or the ndp did and for the record i didn't vote for either of them.

Gotta love how Table 7 of the report shows the primary difference between our cost of living in Calgary vs Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal is our lower taxes, but it's totally a spending problem & not a revenue problem guys...

"Our current model is U-N-S-U-S-T-A-I-N-A-B-L-E " UCP logic failure.

We have a revenue issue, not a spending issue. We have an infrastructure deficit that has loomed over this province since the Klein era, and getting rid of the infrastructure deficit costs money. Fixing the problems in this province doesn't need to include wage roll backs, or tax breaks for large corporations.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    "Our current model is U-N-S-U-S-T-A-I-N-A-B-L-E " UCP logic failure.

We have a revenue issue, not a spending issue. We have an infrastructure deficit that has loomed over this province since the Klein era, and getting rid of the infrastructure deficit costs money. Fixing the problems in this province doesn't need to include wage roll backs, or tax breaks for large corporations.

Agreed. we are going to go through a period of letting our infrastructure degrade again. Spent the last few years building some of it back up. have done a lot of building assessment's the last few years as well and there is still a lot out there that needs upgrades if not replacement. Regrettably I am now at that age where I will not be around for the next round of building. Hell the way things are going this Gov will probably sell off of government buildings and then lease. that's if there are any Gov employees left.

We have a revenue problem. we are not going to get the oil money back now so its time to develop a proper revenue model.

[...]

cut education administration and governance from 24% to 17%? how about moving to a single education system for the province of alberta (like the province alberta was compared to?)?

[...]
    No schitt. Outright head-shaking to have the UCP dismiss any such consideration from their vaunted "spending issue" paradigm.

It would never be temporary, besides, AB has a spending problem, the last government really enjoyed that part!
    Animals are my passion.

It would never be temporary, besides, AB has a spending problem, the last government really enjoyed that part!
    AWhh muffin try to pay attention. We already concluded that the province has a revenue issue. Our spending is inline with most other provinces, especially when you consider Alberta has some of the highest salaries in private sector. We need to spend more because we cut costs under Ralph Klein and have been struggling ever since to build/maintain that infrastructure where we cut costs.

Has anyone seen Notley, huffy Hoffman is everywhere, but Notley seems to be in hiding..
    Animals are my passion.

She's taking some time off. Hoffman is acting leader this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    AWhh muffin try to pay attention. We already concluded that the province has a revenue issue. Our spending is inline with most other provinces, especially when you consider Alberta has some of the highest salaries in private sector. We need to spend more because we cut costs under Ralph Klein and have been struggling ever since to build/maintain that infrastructure where we cut costs.
    How much longer are we going to blame Klein for our current woes ? If public sector salaries are reduced this will help deflate costs in the province, and the bonus is we'll pay less in transfer payments as it's based on salaries.

Has anyone seen Notley, huffy Hoffman is everywhere, but Notley seems to be in hiding..
    She and her family are out at their place in Balfour BC. Some friends of mine ran into her at the Kaslo Jazz Festival.

No better place to be than in the West Kootenays in the summertime
    Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast