Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannabis retail lottery

Criminals moved from bootlegging to drugs, to extortion, to prostitution, to money laundering etc.

It is not like all the pot dealers suddenly go out of business and decide to work at Starbucks instead.

You want foam on your soy latte?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Criminals moved from bootlegging to drugs, to extortion, to prostitution, to money laundering etc.

It is not like all the pot dealers suddenly go out of business and decide to work at Starbucks instead.

You want foam on your soy latte?
    Will many dealers actually be going out of business? I am assuming existing regular users will continue to use the black market.

I'm sure the black market won't disappear, but it will certainly be less profitable. a regular user who's dealer moves on (is it usually a long-term career?) probably won't find a new one but will go to legal.

Fewer customers will mean fewer dealers in the long term. Fewer dollars means fewer criminals.
    There can only be one.

I'd rather C2E than work!

The black market is going nowhere.LOL

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/black-...ents-1.4140235

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Oh dear! It's been less than a week and already H.L. has decided it's a failure.

Uruguay is the only other country to have legalized marijuana sales on a national level. It's population is half of the Greater Toronto Area. We're basically doing something that nobody has ever done before. Will there be bumps on the road? Of course. Will mistakes be made? Of course they will. We have made preparations but we're also learning as we go. That's the way things are when you're a trailblazer. Other countries will watch and learn from us, much like we've learned from the American States that have legalized pot. We have the advantage that the federal government is on board with the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Oh dear! It's been less than a week and already H.L. has decided it's a failure.

Uruguay is the only other country to have legalized marijuana sales on a national level. It's population is half of the Greater Toronto Area. We're basically doing something that nobody has ever done before. Will there be bumps on the road? Of course. Will mistakes be made? Of course they will. We have made preparations but we're also learning as we go. That's the way things are when you're a trailblazer. Other countries will watch and learn from us, much like we've learned from the American States that have legalized pot. We have the advantage that the federal government is on board with the policy.
    Umm, where did I say that? I said, as I have said before, that the black market is going nowhere. It's way less, and no taxes...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    I'm sure the black market won't disappear, but it will certainly be less profitable. a regular user who's dealer moves on (is it usually a long-term career?) probably won't find a new one but will go to legal.

Fewer customers will mean fewer dealers in the long term. Fewer dollars means fewer criminals.
    Big crime is like big business. It adapts, makes new plays, gets involved in different interests, and in the case of organized crime this can often mean increasingly harmful pursuits. Like I said earlier as well ends of prohibition can be associated with increased levels of violence and crime related to control.

If anything what we are likely to see is organized crime hits on stores, legal pot producers, and finding inroads to steal, divert legal product. Theres too much money in it not to. This in turn will result in black market prices decreasing even more as now criminal organizations have one more form of acquiring pot, and this being domestic, and not requiring. Import, overhead etc. Just steal it.

The weakest link as well is the shops. The easy hits. Frankly I wouldn't be stepping foot in one of these for awhile. Sure they have safeguards, safes, but what does that do, really, to somebody robbing a place at gunpoint?

I'd be amazed if more hits don't occur. Its again too easy not to.

This is a known danger as well. A lot of the prior illegal pot shops have been hit. Some multiple times.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...hit-by-thieves

keep in mind this is what the Police found on site in one of the dispensaries that was vulnerable to theft;

Following the break-in, police obtained a warrant to search the Richmond Row pot shop and seized $90,000 of cannabis products, including the dropped stash, and $5,000 cash

That's an absolutely insane amount of proceeds and product to have on hand. That stuff like this is being published just makes some criminals out there salivate. I mean these are huge potential hits. In this instance 120K.

You can google endless pot shop robberies that have occurred. I wonder how many of these licenced premises really know what they are getting into.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/aft...help/727885863
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-10-2018 at 10:47 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

The downer after getting high?

Cannabis Stocks Aren't Just Plunging, They've Already Fallen Into Bear Market Territory
    http://fortune.com/2018/10/22/cannab...ket-territory/
    Maybe it’s just a sign that autumn is here, but marijuana stocks like Tilray and Aurora Cannabis have suddenly turned from green to red. Key stocks in the budding cannabis sector have lost more than 20% in the past week—a figure that is typically used to measure a bear market.

The biggest cannabis exchange-traded fund, the $750 million ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF, fell 9.5% Monday, capping a 22% slump in the past five trading days. Meanwhile, the Horizons Marijuana Life Sciences ETF, which is traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange, fell 11.6% Monday and 24.3% in the past week. One week ago, both funds were at a record high. Now, both are down about 4% since the start of the year.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The downer after getting high?

Cannabis Stocks Aren't Just Plunging, They've Already Fallen Into Bear Market Territory
    http://fortune.com/2018/10/22/cannab...ket-territory/
    Maybe it’s just a sign that autumn is here, but marijuana stocks like Tilray and Aurora Cannabis have suddenly turned from green to red. Key stocks in the budding cannabis sector have lost more than 20% in the past week—a figure that is typically used to measure a bear market.

The biggest cannabis exchange-traded fund, the $750 million ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF, fell 9.5% Monday, capping a 22% slump in the past five trading days. Meanwhile, the Horizons Marijuana Life Sciences ETF, which is traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange, fell 11.6% Monday and 24.3% in the past week. One week ago, both funds were at a record high. Now, both are down about 4% since the start of the year.
    Reality kicking in through the haze. A key determinant of success was going to be such things as reliable sales supply, an ability to have healthy sales profit margin, and being able to have expectable outcomes.

Instead this is one big Target Canada rollout with empty shelves of overpriced product. This could be a complete legalization disaster. if that rot hits back to the supply chains not being successful beause retailers are struggling and pulling out its a gongshow.

Some pundits are saying that not many of the retailers knew that the Govt prices for stock would already be set at black market prices. How you supposed to compete and have a profit margin when that is the case?

Next the overhead is off the charts in this legal pot industry from producer to the front shops.

All that said, those stocks were heavily overvaluated already in the first place. Its at least some market correction that needed to occur.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Next, there was this sales notion that consumers would logically go from buying illicit weed that is an unknown, to buying legal weed, which is standardized, tested, etc. This was presumed.

However it also presumed that individuals innately have self interest in their health which just isn't the case with a target market of pot smokers. Quite clearly it isn't the case.

So that we're selling healthier pot to people that weren't concerned with health in the first place. That's a case of externalizing goals, ambitions, priorities. To a consumer market just interested in getting high (for the most part)

The main area of possible growth is the targeting of older users with high CBD, low THC strains. The type that would want quantified pot to address pain and aging concerns. Those individuals would have interest in potential health effects. The brunt of the market doesn't look at pot for health..nor should they.

Finally legalization removes taboo. This is an important consideration in the alt user type market where individuals are using because of the rebel or other perception. Who would now need to turn to something harder to achieve any same rebel without a cause effect. I kind of wonder how less cool pot becomes when its easily had in dispensary type fashion next to the Liquor store and Pharmacy that ma and pa and grandparents go to.

For the gardeners - How to grow cannabis:

https://donnabalzer.com/new-crop-in-...lviyGstJzGQy9U
    www.decl.org

There wasn't a lineup outside of Nova Cannabis for the first time since they opened today. Also, they were out of weed.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    There wasn't a lineup outside of Nova Cannabis for the first time since they opened today. Also, they were out of weed.
    Rofl!!...

First One is Always Free

Yep. It sounds like many retailers are out of stock.
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4607549/e...medium=Twitter
    Passionate about small business, community & mature neighbourhoods. ED @ Old Strathcona Business Assoc.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thatís ok. Keeps the smaller self employed guys going.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12