Thread: Gibbard Block (6327 112th Avenue) | Renovation

C2E SME

Default Gibbard Block (6327 112th Avenue) | Renovation

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/e...meau-1.4508898

Looks like this building will be getting a renovation coming soon. Article says there will be an open house on March 31.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

The render of the street level looks like crap.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Agreed. Might work in the end but a bit lackluster in that render.

It does. The current glazed brick looks 60's to me and isn't going to win any awards, but the new one is an even bigger contrast to the upper levels, looks cold and will be dated even faster if that's really what it will look like.
    There can only be one.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

heritage design is difficult, particularly when it is a designated building. when replacing components that are not original or accurate reproductions (which isn’t always possible), something contrasting/complementary is often preferred as it clearly states “i am not heritage”. i don’t fully agree and it is an extremely difficult task to deliver on. i think this one might still be conceptual/illustrative and not fully developed yet. the architectural firm involved is highly experienced and well respected in this area and i look forward to seeing the final product.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^I think you're right that it's just a concept. I'm pretty sure that it will look better than that.
    There can only be one.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It looked more like a reno phase rendering to me.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    heritage design is difficult, particularly when it is a designated building. when replacing components that are not original or accurate reproductions (which isn’t always possible), something contrasting/complementary is often preferred as it clearly states “i am not heritage”. i don’t fully agree and it is an extremely difficult task to deliver on. i think this one might still be conceptual/illustrative and not fully developed yet. the architectural firm involved is highly experienced and well respected in this area and i look forward to seeing the final product.
    Bingo.

I expect good things from this one.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    The render of the street level looks like crap.
    Yeeeeeeep

It does not look like cap as it is just a replacement of windows. That said, I prefer they keep the brick finishing below the windows. Other than that, everything else is intact. My wife and I love this place, and we'll be sad that it will cessate shortly.

The render looks really bad. I'm sure the finished product will look much better.

The Next Architecture website has an additional render from a slightly different and closer perspective.

Source: http://nextarchitecture.ca/project/gibbard-block/

I'd rather C2E than work!

To keep with the era, while still having a modern flair, the bottom windows should be wood or solid and the door should be wood.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...727/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post
    The Next Architecture website has an additional render from a slightly different and closer perspective.

This looks like something half-done & untextured in SketchUp, not the renders of a professional firm.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

[John McEnroe]You cannot be serious![/John McEnroe]

Yes, the render looks bad.

But, put people and furniture in the render, would it still look so bad?

Reality is, big windows are what city planners want - for better or worse.
    Last edited by McBoo; 31-01-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    ... gobsmacked

What's so bad about the render exactly?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

This looks like something half-done & untextured in SketchUp, not the renders of a professional firm.
    when i engage “a professional firm” it’s for the quality of the design and contract documents and construction management, not the computing capacity of some third world rendering shop.

Thank you Ken! It is no difference from when I worked in the fashion industry full on. Perhaps we are trained and have experience in our respective industry that we are able to see beyond an illustration given to us. Personally, the render couldnt be any better imo.

If any members here that are tech savvy that can overlap the two to show people there is not much difference that would be great. I can do it in my head, but not tech savvy enough to do that on computers.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Where is your rage and anger John lol.

Those pillars better be brickwork or decorative concrete to match the other building features. If they're plain white, I'll barf a little.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Those pillars better be brickwork or decorative concrete to match the other building features. If they're plain white, I'll barf a little.
    how about backlit frosted glass?

While that could look good, I don't think it fits the context here.

If you want context to its originality then everything about it requires the same theme. What were the toilet system like back when it was built? An outhouse? If so, we have to bring it back. What about single pane windows? That has to come back as well or no? Do you think what is there right now we're completely original from day one?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/e...meau-1.4508898

Unfortunately this does not show the new design in it's best light. In fact, it looks like the 'before' pictures, as in this is what it looked like before we are going to make it look better.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

New owners plan three bays - two for restaurants and one for a wine store.

As I mentioned earlier - betcha when you add furniture and people - it will look tons better than the render.
    ... gobsmacked

How hard can it be to take the building back to it's original façade for the first floor?. Make the doors and windows on the first floor the original style of the building. Adding awnings in the summer with out door seating would work.

Im sure new awnings will contribute as well. The problem here is the current La B is all made up with make up- the awnings- so it creates a more intimate/ historic feel. The new render is our same girl without her make up; so let her freshen up and reply the make up back on. Once that is done, it will look relatively identical to the current original.

This looks better but I'm not keen on the purple sign. Unsure when the pic was taken even looking at the women's clothes. At the moment the new windows just look too stark and modern for the building, they lack any warmth.
    I guess we will have to wait and see.

https://hermis.alberta.ca/ARHP/Detai...ctID=4665-0698

The best way to determine that is when those awnings comes down and someone is able to take a picture of her stripped clean. My vision see very similar result. If you stare at the photos for about 5 seconds or how ever long you need then close your eyes and imagine her without those awnings. Im sure you'll see what I see; they both look alike with newer windows and minor changes to modernize it.
    If you can't imagine then you in trouble...

I agree with that purple sign. It make the structure seem bloated is the best i could describe it. I prefer a simple slanted black awnings with gold colour printing and a simple black iron rod. The structure is the showpiece not the awnings. The black will make it appear more proportioned to the lot as well as the sidewalk will appear wider.

I am glad that they are fixing it up. Went to the restaurant several times when I lived in the area in the 1990's
    My wife and I stayed three nights there last summer and the place was very run down, dusty, grimey and thread bare carpets. Extension cords running all around the room.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

The render looks really bad. I'm sure the finished product will look much better.

Too many mullions!

The mullions are not the issue. If they go with this, it is acceptable. That said, the concept is incomplete; the designer is trying to apply ultra or contemporary modernism to antiquity. He/she lack application to the concept. The column should be brick applied with Ken Kantor' s concept of frosted lit lights. The lit lighting only needs to be three rings on the columns at bottom, mid and top. The rings for lit lighting 6"-1' . At the bottom ( footing ), apply brick up to 1.5' in height, and the whole structure is balanced through out. The windows and millions in the same manner. The same mullions applied to the frosted lighting ( in scale ). Now, you have antiquity freshened to modern day. The windows now turn into contemporary which still compliment the structure. As is, it is ultra modern clashing with antique and they don't do well with each other.

Not only that, what have they done to the roof above the 3rd. floor windows. Surely that is not the color they want it to be?. It's starting to look like the 1st. floor does not even belong to that building. Too much of a contrast in styles.

The finishing choice at this moment is out of balance, so you are correct that the first floor does not look in place hence my quick tweaking above. She is top heavy lol.

If they like the white contrast, it has to be incorporated to the entire 3rd bottom. Then it becomes balanced.

These are just initial sketches, not finished product or colours.

Did anyone go to the open house this afternoon?
    www.decl.org

There is a kickstarter on for a business to open up in the new space. Actually 3 businesses by the same group, occupying the entire main floor.
    Burger place, hipster liquor store, and deli. Same people as Little Brick.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ibbard%20block

More commentary here:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...nton-1.4837503

"Last month, Box launched an online fundraiser for $100,000. As of Tuesday afternoon, $20,000 had been donated to the "all or nothing" Kickstarter campaign. The rest of the financing needed for the $900,000 venture will come from Box, his business partners, a few private investors and the landlord, Sparrow Capital. Only a bare minimum will come from the bank, Box said."

I'm a bit behind on this, but La Boheme is now closed?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Kickstarter exceeded goal!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Rezoning and heritage grant approved.
    www.decl.org

Excellent news!
    www.decl.org

Looking good!
    www.decl.org

I notice that they ditched the white bits by the doors and on the corner. That seemed to be the part that elicited the most opposition. Why would you want to cover up brick unless it was absolutely necessary? Glad to see the change.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    I notice that they ditched the white bits by the doors and on the corner. That seemed to be the part that elicited the most opposition. Why would you want to cover up brick unless it was absolutely necessary? Glad to see the change.
    I agree. At street level out front we only see the ground floor.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Looking really nice

Bringing it back to its former glory. A classic handsome building!

1,000x better than the downtown library reno
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

What it was with only one entrance

Glad to see the original triple entrances restored.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Bringing it back to its former glory. A classic handsome building!

1,000x better than the downtown library reno
    the difference is between restoration and renovation.

for some reason there seems to be some inate desire to "improve" when renovating that inevitably results in something worse than what you started with. milner isn't alone in being a local example of this (although now for the second time - you'd think they would have learned the first time) so at least she's in good company.

Isn't that place haunted?
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

That looks very authentic but modern. It appears they have listened to many of our constructive criticism from the only render to which they showed. This is very balanced in comparison to the original render; ewell done!
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 08-04-2019 at 07:03 PM.

^This exactly, very excited they ditched the modernist look to go with this more classic look.

Minor point, first floor Headers on one side wider on one side than the other. Left side looks better with narrow header.

^My guess is retractable covered awnings may cover that.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Not sure how things are going on site, but looks like there might be some problems behind the scenes, as Ledcor has filed a lien against the project for a little over a million bucks. I don't know anything past that.

The Gibbard Block in Highlands is nearing the end of a massive restoration

The Gibbard Block in Highlands is nearing the end of a massive restoration.

CTV News Edmonton was welcomed inside the historic landmark Thursday, weeks ahead of the official opening.

“It is a building with a ton of history in one of the few mature neighbourhoods in the city that has managed to preserve its main street,” said Antoine Parker of Sparrow Capital.

It once housed hotel rooms with meals and a popular French restaurant. Now it has all been reimagined, bringing together 1912 and 2019.

Black Box Hospitality will be running a burger spot, a sandwich shop and a liquor store in the building.

"We're just trying to sort out some permitting with the city and then we should be off to the races with Highlands Liquor, and then June's Delicatessan and Fox Burger will be a couple weeks after that," according to Black Box CEO Nate Box.

The office spaces on the second floor are still under construction, but are nearly all spoken for.

A bed and breakfast, Corduroy Suites, is on the third floor. Featuring original claw foot tubs and old doors repurposed as wainscoting, the business says it is already taking bookings, and the community feedback has been positive.

The project hasn’t been without challenges. The original contractor has put a lien on the property. Parker tells CTV News Edmonton that it’s being dealt with and is not a problem.

The rest of the Gibbard Block is expected to be fully open in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Minor point, first floor Headers on one side wider on one side than the other. Left side looks better with narrow header.
    I noticed that as well but thought it was intentional. The offset gives two distinct shops from my perspective. I cant imagine any developer fumble on basic first day apprenticeship measuring and not noticed it.

First One is Always Free

Saw this news article too. As a resident of Highlands, I'm super excited about this. I met the new owners, Sparrow, a couple of years ago when they first approached the community. They've done an amazing job of working with the community. So welcome to Highlands.
    Passionate about small business, community & mature neighbourhoods. ED @ Old Strathcona Business Assoc.

The businesses are now open for you urban hipster types!

C2E SME

Whats there?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Whats there?
    june's deli, fox burger, and highlands liquor brought to you by nate box and michael forgie:

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/century-...tion-1.4599478

there's also a soon to open roof-top patio and a secret bar space in the basement.

^not so secret anymore

I have been wanting a small pub in that space for ages. Of course as soon as I move out of the area one opens.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.