Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 115 of 115

Thread: Vehicles we can't buy in Canada

  1. #101

    Default

    And what was the last year the PT Cruiser was made? 2010, the last year it was the perfect vehicle to cook the books thanks to the 2011 changes.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  2. #102

    Default

    That's fascinating.

    And a good argument against complex game-able regulations and in favour of simple market feedback mechanisms. Thank goodness for the simplicity of the Carbon Tax, looking forward to it continuing to rise.
    There can only be one.

  3. #103
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    11,477

    Default

    This old Globe and Mail article is also relevant: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle20881124/

    You can also find dozens of threads on car enthusiast forums where people lament the inability to buy various sport wagons in Canada. My personal belief is that it's a mix of regulatory issues, and market demand. It's kind of a chicken and egg thing. If demand was higher, manufacturers would bring those models over from Europe, even if they had to jump through some extra hoops. But just the same, if there weren't so many unintended consequences of fuel efficiency regulations and silly Transport Canada concerns, manufacturers would be able to bring over the same vehicles with little or no modification, and it would be worthwhile to do so. Like it or not, North Americans do unfortunately like their large vehicles.

    In any case, I just had a coffee with another wagon guy, and he indicated that someone at an Audi dealership told him it may well be possible that Audi will be bringing over the RS4 Avant in 2018. If they do, I may well have to get my name on the list. And there will absolutely be a waiting list, of that I have no doubt.

  4. #104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    If demand was higher, manufacturers would bring those models over from Europe, even if they had to jump through some extra hoops. But just the same, if there weren't so many unintended consequences of fuel efficiency regulations and silly Transport Canada concerns, manufacturers would be able to bring over the same vehicles with little or no modification, and it would be worthwhile to do so. Like it or not, North Americans do unfortunately like their large vehicles.
    So now, after claiming I don't know what I am talking about, you say the exact same thing, great - next try to read and understand, you might learn something like it appears, having spent enough time to think it through at your brains pace, you finally have.

    If people think there is this amazing untapped market for vehicles we can't get in Canada, there is nothing to stop them setting up a company and importing them. If there was money in doing that, beyond a tiny niche of enthusiasts, the automakers would be doing it. The harsh reality though, is attempts at that, turn into painful losses.
    Last edited by moahunter; 31-05-2017 at 12:30 PM.

  5. #105
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton (Norwood)
    Posts
    4,506

    Default

    Here's a simple proposal for an alternative, universal fuel economy standard that would fix the bloat problem:

    Base allowance for any vehicle: 2.0 L/100km
    Additional allowance for each full-sized seating position: 0.5 L/100km
    Additional allowance for each small seating position: 0.25 L/100km
    Additional allowance for each 100 kg of payload capacity: 0.1 L/100km
    Additional allowance for each 200 kg of towing capacity: 0.1 L/100km

    Seating positions beyond 6 credited at 50% of the above rate.
    A full size seating position is required to accommodate a dummy simulating a person 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in) tall weighing 120 kg without head, knee or shoulder contact.
    A small seating position is required to accommodate a dummy simulating a person 1.6 m (5 ft 3 in) tall weighing 60 kg without head, knee or shoulder contact.
    All claimed seating positions are required to be occupied simultaneously (no sliding the front seat forward in order to claim the rear as a full size position).
    The above passenger weights must be deducted from the payload capacity.
    The claimed payload and towing capacity must be available simultaneously, without exceeding any weight ratings.

  6. #106

    Default

    Has anyone imported any old vehicles (that you couldn’t get here when new)?

  7. #107
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    11,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin
    In any case, I just had a coffee with another wagon guy, and he indicated that someone at an Audi dealership told him it may well be possible that Audi will be bringing over the RS4 Avant in 2018. If they do, I may well have to get my name on the list. And there will absolutely be a waiting list, of that I have no doubt.


    Still no RS4 Avante in North America. However, it's looking like Mercedes is bringing a C43 Wagon to Canada only (no US) this fall:
    https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20180305/hotted-up-c-43-amg-to-also-arrive-in-a-wagon-version/

    My old 535 Touring was in the shop for a few weeks and my dad was kind enough to lend my his new-ish A4 All Road. It was actually peppier than I expected, and I didn't realize it has a dual clutch auto, not a torque converter. I still can't stand the terrible fantastic plastic that Audi thinks they need to slap on it to make it look like a Subaru or something, but otherwise I quite enjoyed driving it. In the next year or two I'll have to replace my current wagon, and unless something else comes out it'll likely be between a C43 or an A4.

  8. #108

    Default

    Toyota's Answer To Rolls Royce And Maybach Is The Century?

    “Sold almost exclusively only in Japan, it boasted Toyota’s only V12 engine and a ride so smooth and whisper quiet that it made all other cars seem unrefined, even Lexus. ”

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterly...e-century/amp/

  9. #109
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    11,477

    Default

    Almost pulled the trigger on a C43... until I found out that you can't get them with ventilated seats. That's about as dumb of a decision as Mercedes could make. 65-80k car, can't get an option that's available in a 30k Kia. Genius. Really unfortunate because otherwise it's everything I was looking for; a 6 cylinder wagon, basically. But no way I am buying a brand new vehicle without ventilated seats. Cartman's nightmare is my dream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLLNdeBM4IY

    Volvo's coming out with a hotted-up, hybrid V60 for the 2020 model year that is intriguing. Unfortunately it's still a 4-banger and basically a front wheel drive with the electric motor driving the rears, but reviews indicate it's hard to notice it and the two motors work well together. The transmission also doesn't sound great; not sure if it's a torque converter or a dual clutch. But every review I've read on the V60 mentions that it can be slow to shift sometimes.

    https://driving.ca/volvo/v60/reviews...60-t8-r-design

    These first world problems are killing me! Heater fan on the un-trusty old BMW is about to die. I feel like Eurasia should have some sort of punch-card system, like Subway did. Every 10 repairs, you get a new transmission or something.

  10. #110

    Default

    I find that Volvos have very little interior room especially rear leg room when I have the drivers seat back because I am 6 ft 3" tall. Unless you get a VX90 and that is very pricey and fuel hungry
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  11. #111
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    11,477

    Default

    Thankfully, everything fits my 5'9" frame perfectly!

  12. #112

    Default

    Volvo = #3

    These are the least dependable brands, according to J.D. Power | Driving

    https://postmediadriving.wordpress.c...g-to-j-d-power

  13. #113
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    11,477

    Default

    Interesting, thanks. Owner reported surveys like that are not the best way of measuring reliability, because they depend on the vehicle owner's reporting. It's quite possible that someone who buys a brand new, expensive car is going to keep a closer eye on little niggles than someone buying a Yaris or whatever. For example, the last new car I bought 10 years ago, a 3 series BMW, had a squeaky driver seat. Every time I clutched, the seat would squeak. I took that car to Edmonton BMW 5 times and they never did manage to resolve it. Bavaria got it on the second try. Further, from what I gather those survey don't really differentiate between minor and major issues. A squeaky seat would count the same as a blown transmission. Those kinds of surveys are known for having wild swings from one year to the next that probably don't truly reflect what's going on.

    That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Volvo has reliability concerns. They've long had that reputation.

  14. #114

    Default

    Replacement believes that the only reliable car is a 1970's VW bug...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  15. #115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Interesting, thanks. Owner reported surveys like that are not the best way of measuring reliability, because they depend on the vehicle owner's reporting. It's quite possible that someone who buys a brand new, expensive car is going to keep a closer eye on little niggles than someone buying a Yaris or whatever. For example, the last new car I bought 10 years ago, a 3 series BMW, had a squeaky driver seat. Every time I clutched, the seat would squeak. I took that car to Edmonton BMW 5 times and they never did manage to resolve it. Bavaria got it on the second try. Further, from what I gather those survey don't really differentiate between minor and major issues. A squeaky seat would count the same as a blown transmission. Those kinds of surveys are known for having wild swings from one year to the next that probably don't truly reflect what's going on.

    That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Volvo has reliability concerns. They've long had that reputation.
    I’ve thought much the same. People that have dropped big bucks on a vehicle will spin the facts for a number of reasons including maintaining resale value.

    Failure of inconsequential items should not count as much as more critical items. However, even a problem with a little thing can still mean s trip to the dealer and added costs and inconvenience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •