Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Which Kal Tires are among the best?

  1. #1
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    http://resumeo.arifsaha.com/
    Posts
    81

    Question Which Kal Tires are among the best?

    Considering this rants from several years ago, it seems that not all Kal Tires are the same, aren't they? I am thinking to get a set of Nokian Tyres, and especially thinking of the Kal Tire in Bonnie Doon or Oliver Square (the easiest if I want to drop the car in the morning then take bus to work), how are they? If you have recent or any experience with one or more Kal Tire(s) in town, would you mind to share?

    Thank you in advance!
    --S P Arif Sahari Wibowo - http://www.arifsaha.com/

  2. #2
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arifsaha View Post
    Considering this rants from several years ago, it seems that not all Kal Tires are the same, aren't they? I am thinking to get a set of Nokian Tyres, and especially thinking of the Kal Tire in Bonnie Doon or Oliver Square (the easiest if I want to drop the car in the morning then take bus to work), how are they? If you have recent or any experience with one or more Kal Tire(s) in town, would you mind to share?

    Thank you in advance!
    I've gone to the Kal Tire in Bonnie Doon several times. Twice for new tires. I've found them very good. Remember your name, kind of still has that small town courtesy feel.
    They will price beat on tires too, so shop around for the best price.

  3. #3
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    11,603

    Default

    Some genius at Kal Tire on 170th used an impact gun set to 150 ft-lb of torque on my brother's SUV when they swapped tires one fall or spring. When he took it elsewhere to try to get the damn things off, they nearly had to cut the rims off the vehicle. Kal Tire denied everything, and tried to blame him for it. We'll never deal with them again.

    Also, the first post is suspiciously spammy.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Some genius at Kal Tire on 170th used an impact gun set to 150 ft-lb of torque on my brother's SUV when they swapped tires one fall or spring. When he took it elsewhere to try to get the damn things off, they nearly had to cut the rims off the vehicle. Kal Tire denied everything, and tried to blame him for it. We'll never deal with them again.

    Also, the first post is suspiciously spammy.
    I've been there a number of times with different vehicles. Never a problem and always good service. You have to remember, you're dealing with people and KalTire is just a name. Go somewhere else and you may encounter that very same couple employees doing the very same thing.

    What caused your brother to go back to them? Was he charged a higher price for the next change over?

    Seems that in reading your post, contrary to your spammy comment, this experience makes me think the first post isn't at all spammy. If people are having issues with tire shops, then it makes sense to survey people, as that poster did. Get your brother on c2e. Maybe he'd have avoided this whole experience.
    Last edited by KC; 06-10-2016 at 10:29 AM.

  5. #5
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    32,616

    Default

    The Oliver Square Kal Tire has been nothing but excellence, and they are just a 15-20 minute walk to the financial core. Only thing though is be prepared to lineup at 7:30 AM at this time of the year because this is the time when every man and his dog will be showing up to switch their tires from summer to winter.

    Also, I've been using Nokian all-weathers for years, won't go back to anything else.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The Oliver Square Kal Tire has been nothing but excellence, and they are just a 15-20 minute walk to the financial core. Only thing though is be prepared to lineup at 7:30 AM at this time of the year because this is the time when every man and his dog will be showing up to switch their tires from summer to winter.

    Also, I've been using Nokian all-weathers for years, won't go back to anything else.
    Yeah, I've had several sets of Nokians WR?s I think. After years of saying people should run winter tires (see my very oldest posts), I started running those year round.

  7. #7
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    11,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC
    What caused your brother to go back to them? Was he charged a higher price for the next change over?


    He brought it back to get the wheels swapped the next season, not knowing there were any issues. They called him and said they couldn't get half the bolts off, because someone had obviously used an impact gun on the key, which was wrecked. His response was "well, that would have been you guys, the vehicle hasn't been anywhere else since you swapped them 6 months ago". Like I said, they denied everything. He managed to get another key, which was also wrecked trying to get them off. At that point he told them to just put the bolts back on and he'd come pick it up, so he could take it elsewhere and potentially have them cut off. The other shop was eventually able to get them off using torches, snipes, and a whole lot of elbow grease. They commented that they've seen that several times before on other vehicles from Kal Tire.

    The big problem we have is the fact that Kal Tire absolutely refused to accept any responsibility for what happened. Like you said, maybe it was just one dummy. Fine. The store manager refused to admit that they could have done it, and basically accused my brother of having done it and trying to blame them for it. Which was idiotic because the vehicle's wheels hadn't been touched since they'd put them on.

    Quote Originally Posted by KC
    Seems that in reading your post, makes me think the first post isn't at all spammy.


    The half dozen embedded links make it look like the post is primarily for search engine optimization.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC
    What caused your brother to go back to them? Was he charged a higher price for the next change over?


    He brought it back to get the wheels swapped the next season, not knowing there were any issues. They called him and said they couldn't get half the bolts off, because someone had obviously used an impact gun on the key, which was wrecked. His response was "well, that would have been you guys, the vehicle hasn't been anywhere else since you swapped them 6 months ago". Like I said, they denied everything. He managed to get another key, which was also wrecked trying to get them off. At that point he told them to just put the bolts back on and he'd come pick it up, so he could take it elsewhere and potentially have them cut off. The other shop was eventually able to get them off using torches, snipes, and a whole lot of elbow grease. They commented that they've seen that several times before on other vehicles from Kal Tire.

    The big problem we have is the fact that Kal Tire absolutely refused to accept any responsibility for what happened. Like you said, maybe it was just one dummy. Fine. The store manager refused to admit that they could have done it, and basically accused my brother of having done it and trying to blame them for it. Which was idiotic because the vehicle's wheels hadn't been touched since they'd put them on.

    Quote Originally Posted by KC
    Seems that in reading your post, makes me think the first post isn't at all spammy.


    The half dozen embedded links make it look like the post is primarily for search engine optimization.
    Interesting. Thanks for all the clarification. Seems all they'd need to do is check their computer for his last visit information.

    On spammy ... Maybe check the poster's other posts.

    Also, C2e created the Ask forum, so it's good to see people using it.
    Last edited by KC; 06-10-2016 at 10:54 AM.

  9. #9
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    11,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC
    Seems all they'd need to do is check their computer for his last visit information.


    They did. That's the point where they denied all responsibility and insinuated that my brother must have done it himself.

  10. #10
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    http://resumeo.arifsaha.com/
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    The half dozen embedded links make it look like the post is primarily for search engine optimization.
    Huh? I am just trying to be helpful, in case somebody reading it and wondering what I am talking about they can just click the link instead of firing the search engine.
    --S P Arif Sahari Wibowo - http://www.arifsaha.com/

  11. #11
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    http://resumeo.arifsaha.com/
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I've gone to the Kal Tire in Bonnie Doon several times. Twice for new tires. I've found them very good. Remember your name, kind of still has that small town courtesy feel.
    Good to hear. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    They will price beat on tires too, so shop around for the best price.
    Is there anybody else sell Nokian Tyres other than Kal Tire?

    Thank you!
    --S P Arif Sahari Wibowo - http://www.arifsaha.com/

  12. #12
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    11,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arifsaha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    The half dozen embedded links make it look like the post is primarily for search engine optimization.
    Huh? I am just trying to be helpful, in case somebody reading it and wondering what I am talking about they can just click the link instead of firing the search engine.
    My apologies then!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •