Thread: Globe and Mail: Where Will 125 Billion in Federal Infrastructure Spending Money Go?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Globe and Mail: Where Will 125 Billion in Federal Infrastructure Spending Money Go?

Rather dissapointed to see this Globe and Mail story that discusses infrastructure funding across Canada. Calgary, Vancouver and even Halifax are profiled. But, Edmonton is left out of the article all together. Considering the underdeveloped state of our LRT system and the lack of affordable housing, the need is perhaps greatest here.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle28228477/

I also haven't heard a thing about Edmonton submitting a shovel ready proposal for the completed Valley Line, nor other LRT extensions. Yet Calgary has submitted another 3 Billion request and it looks set to be funded.

Will we miss out on this round of funding from the Federal government?

Although Sohi is in government, he mentioned that he wants to see municipalities leading the projects. If Edmonton doesn't ask, we won't get.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    Rather dissapointed to see this Globe and Mail story that discusses infrastructure funding across Canada. Calgary, Vancouver and even Halifax are profiled. But, Edmonton is left out of the article all together. Considering the underdeveloped state of our LRT system and the lack of affordable housing, the need is perhaps greatest here.

I also haven't heard a thing about Edmonton submitting a shovel ready proposal for the completed Valley Line, nor other LRT extensions. Yet Calgary has submitted another 3 Billion request and it looks set to be funded.

Although Sohi is in government, he mentioned that he wants to see municipalities leading the projects. If Edmonton doesn't ask, we won't get.
    You already answered your own question. If that **** ticket of a newspaper does NOT have any mention of "Edmonton" in it....then "would that not be why you haven't heard of any shovel ready projects submitted to the Feds?" Just saying.....

Don't be so ridiculous guys. It's just an article, and Sohi will come through for Edmonton. But he has to be fair to all municipalities.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post

You already answered your own question. If that **** ticket of a newspaper does NOT have any mention of "Edmonton" in it....then "would that not be why you haven't heard of any shovel ready projects submitted to the Feds?" Just saying.....
    I have not heard an announcement from the City about the next phase of LRT expansion, in any source, not just the Globe (which is usually a pretty good newspaper, actually). Or from the city directly.

Default Fair share

If there is one good thing about having a Liberal government, it's that they have seats to win here, whereas the Conservatives could take Alberta for granted. Hopefully for once we will at least get our fair share. We need it now.

I'd rather C2E than work!

No they took Edmonton got grated.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

The Globe and Mail could care less about Edmonton. To them, Alberta is Calgary. No need to mention Alberta's second city is likely their rationale This pro-Calgary slant is readily apparent in their articles and features. This is nothing new. To their credit though, at least they pay attention to Calgary now. Before, Alberta was totally invisible to them.

Default Globe and Mail - Toronto's National Newspaper

The Globe and Mail generally ignores Edmonton, except for occasional coverage of murders, cold weather, natural disasters, a bit of sports and arts.

I have come to the conclusion that someone high up there has a real grudge against Edmonton or really wants to suck up to Calgary.

Before you get too excited, I am sure they didn't mention Edmonton because it was not on their radar, not because their being no good potential infrastructure projects here.

I suspect Edmonton is more on the federal government's radar than on the Globe and Mail's.

C2E Long Term Contributor

There is a follow-up article by the same writer on both Edmonton and Calgary
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle28229861/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

From that article:

Calgary’s top unfunded infrastructure projects

Multisport field house – $202-million
    Green Line Transitway light-rail transit – Calgary is seeking $1.5-billion from Alberta toward the $4.56-billion project
    Affordable housing
    Airport Trail Phase 2 extension and widening of Peigan Trail
    Purchasing new light-rail vehicles

Edmonton’s top unfunded infrastructure projects

Grade separation of a CP Rail line and road traffic at 50 Street
    Grade separation of a CP Rail line and road traffic at 75 Street
    Road interchange upgrades at Anthony Henday Drive and 135 Street
    Other priorities include light-rail expansion, flood mitigation and upgrades to Fort Edmonton Park and Edmonton Energy and Technology Park
    Do you see my concern now? A vague ask for light rail expansion, but no specific dollar amount, no concrete proposal (planning is seemingly not complete yet). City needs to get on this ASAP.

C2E SME

I can understand the need for a railroad bridge at 75 Street, but might it be better to have the LRT extended west to 124 Street, rather than the 50th Street CPR bridge, when the road turns into a residential arterial road north of 101 Avenue.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

^ That is small ball though.

Why not:

Recreational Lake at Blatchford

District Energy at Blatchford (this fits with green infrastructure the Liberals want to do)

District Energy Downtown

The Energy Line LRT

The remaining half of the Valley Line LRT

Replace entire ETS fleet with Battery Electric Buses

Fully Fund Northlands Re Visioning

Milner Library Reskin

Add on funds for grade separation on Valley Line LRT

Fund network of fully separated bike lanes (green infrastructure again)

City Museum

Winspear Expansion

Geothermal Baths at Rossdale

etc

etc

Right now it seems like the city's priorities are mixed up.

^ that's more like it.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Do you see my concern now? A vague ask for light rail expansion, but no specific dollar amount, no concrete proposal (planning is seemingly not complete yet). City needs to get on this ASAP.
    There is definitely a different attitude, between the two cities. The first thing mentioned in that article by Edmonton is sewer repairs. Seriously, Edmonton's council thinks the Liberals are going to want to advertise how they did sewer repairs, or some train overpasses? The Liberals are looking for big sexy marquee projects, that they can point to in the next election and say, "we did that". Projects which don't just benefit one or two neighbourhoods (unless those neighbourhoods are key swing vote potential ridings), or one bit of traffic congestion. I would think doing the west leg of the new line, and the metro line to St. Albert would be good ideas to push.

Another huge project in Calgary will be the big flood mitigation dry dam, i wonder if Calgary will try to spin that as a rural Alberta project rather than a city specific one?
    Last edited by moahunter; 17-01-2016 at 06:52 AM.

The City doesn't exactly have a ton of big projects sitting around just waiting to tender; they have been scared off more than once by either the Provs or the Feds not ponying up and designs eventually passing their best-by date. That's why most of it is small stuff - the City government has become too timid to think big and who can blame them? Their one big ticket item, the SE LRT, has already been awarded - and the Provincial commitment still has to be paid back. Talk about red-headed stepchild.

Anyway the items that immediately come to mind are freeway-ing the Yellowhead, as well as the Royal Alex/Misericordia rebuilds (those plans that headlined the Journal recently? Perfect).

C2E Continued Contributor

Me thinks you guys should chill.
    We'll get funding in due course.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    There is definitely a different attitude, between the two cities. The first thing mentioned in that article by Edmonton is sewer repairs. Seriously, Edmonton's council thinks the Liberals are going to want to advertise how they did sewer repairs, or some train overpasses? The Liberals are looking for big sexy marquee projects, that they can point to in the next election and say, "we did that". Projects which don't just benefit one or two neighbourhoods (unless those neighbourhoods are key swing vote potential ridings), or one bit of traffic congestion. I would think doing the west leg of the new line, and the metro line to St. Albert would be good ideas to push.
    Agreed.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

From that article:

Calgary’s top unfunded infrastructure projects

Multisport field house – $202-million
    Green Line Transitway light-rail transit – Calgary is seeking $1.5-billion from Alberta toward the $4.56-billion project
    Affordable housing
    Airport Trail Phase 2 extension and widening of Peigan Trail
    Purchasing new light-rail vehicles

Edmonton’s top unfunded infrastructure projects

Grade separation of a CP Rail line and road traffic at 50 Street
    Grade separation of a CP Rail line and road traffic at 75 Street
    Road interchange upgrades at Anthony Henday Drive and 135 Street
    Other priorities include light-rail expansion, flood mitigation and upgrades to Fort Edmonton Park and Edmonton Energy and Technology Park

OMG! You mean elimate all the traffic lights on the Yellowhead is either not a priority or it is funded?!

How about the completion of Terwilligar Drive? Lots of overpasses to be built down there.

Default Globe and Mail

Really people - I don't think you should take what is written in a Toronto newspaper, whose staff could barely find Edmonton on a map as gospel here.

The Globe and Mail will always give Calgary better coverage, but that doesn't mean it is accurate.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I can understand the need for a railroad bridge at 75 Street, but might it be better to have the LRT extended west to 124 Street, rather than the 50th Street CPR bridge, when the road turns into a residential arterial road north of 101 Avenue.
    The 50th street train crossing is the worst in the city. The road is still quite busy (30-38K vehicles compared to 41-43K on 75st). The train blocks 50st at least once a day during rush hour, whereas 75st might see one or two blockings a week during peak hours.

Here's a "shovel ready project" for Trudeau:

Give us dollar for dollar the same amount as Calgary. Let us put it in an investment account generating interest as we properly, painstakingly plan out projects so they don't wind up like another Metro. In 2-3 years when they are actually fully ready to go, we will have even more money leftover.

Actually, even better idea (and I have no clue why we don't do this). Give us a couple billion to invest in a wealth fund. Allow us to leverage the Canadian credit rating for low interest loans on new infrastructure, and make monthly payments out of the interest we are earning.

If they are planning on giving us money anyways, I don't see why we shouldn't maximize it.

Mayor Don Iveson said Edmonton can move quickly on the west section of the LRT, two priority train crossings or upgrades to the Yellowhead Trail if Ottawa comes through with a suggested $1-billion stimulus package.
    None of those projects are “shovel ready” but design work could be finished in 2016 and construction could start the following years, said Iveson, reacting to news out of Ottawa Tuesday.
    “We could get started on that very, very quickly,” he said. “Sending those signals today helps give certainty to contractors and employers that there will be work in the pipe the next year. Even sending the signal is important from an economic confidence point of view.”
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...infrastructure

Iveson has a couple of semi-ready projects that need funding.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E SME
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Saying the 'homework' is almost finished does not impress the teacher...
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Addicted to C2E

LRT links to west end and St Albert could be planned and budgeted within a year. Maybe teh freezeway and river valley escalator too.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Saying the 'homework' is almost finished does not impress the teacher...
    It's very unusual for teachers to announce a marks stimulus in response to flagging class averages.

Yellowhead, (proper) LRT, fix 75/wayne gretzkey.
    Build terwillegar and manning.
    Build bike lanes somewhere in this city.
    Edmonton has a long infrastructure list, we are so used to not having and not finishing that perhaps we don't realize there are so many. All these would not even put us ahead, those are all yesterday's infrastructure problems and would put us and 'normal' level.

City admin does not seem to be too enthusiastic about it though. It would be too much work to change the capital plan, it seems

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...projects-.html