Thread: The Yards

Default The Yards

"The Yards makes sense of downtown Edmonton's transformation and growth. It shares insightful urban planning, development, lifestyle and cultural stories that will change the way you see and participate in the core. With an all-star roster of writers and thinkers, professional journalists and designers, The Yards introduces more than 30,000 readers to the issues, faces and businesses that matter to them.

"The Yards" is a loving tribute. Both to the CN rail yards that ran through the area just a generation ago, and to the role downtown has always played, as a gathering place for the whole city. These are all our yards to enjoy and appreciate, but also to maintain and protect.

Look out for our December 2014 launch!"

The Team

The Yards is published four times a year by the Oliver and Downtown Edmonton Community Leagues. Supported by a non-profit group, the Central Edmonton News Society, our editorial committee is a brain trust of entrepreneurs, community organizers and artists who live or work in central Edmonton. It's edited by Omar Mouallem and designed by Vikki Wiercinski. "

http://www.theyardsyeg.ca/
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Uh-oh spaghetti-os !

Lovely.

Top_Dawg best issue a super cornholio alert !

Insightful ?

An all-star roster ?

Brain trust ?

If one thing they're certainly not unpretentious.

Sounds like yet another shitbucket of holier-than-thou cornholios ready to spew a load'o smoke up Top_Dawg's fartbox.

Let the roosterism begin !

C2E Long Term Contributor

Looking forward to see the first issue.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

First One is Always Free
    Alberta Ave, McCauley, St Albert and Spruce Grove

This could be a very cool read. Hopefully they are good, relevant and honest articles and not a bunch of "how to make a flower arrangement" articles.

It will be interesting to see what their physical boundaries will be for their articles. Will they venture into McCauley and QMP for articles?
    Luck is the collision that occurs when preparation and opportunity run into each other.

I am excited about this!
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

I see that Omar Mouallem is the editor, though I assume he is still writing for Metro.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by selohssa View Post
    This could be a very cool read. Hopefully they are good, relevant and honest articles and not a bunch of "how to make a flower arrangement" articles.

It will be interesting to see what their physical boundaries will be for their articles. Will they venture into McCauley and QMP for articles?
    It sounds like they will be venturing into all surrounding communities for ideas, articles and collaboration.
    www.decl.org

^Yes, the articles and stories will not be entirely bound to just downtown and Oliver, even though that is our primary focus.
    www.decl.org

^ "our", huh?
    Is it just you involved in this, GreenSPACE, or is it DECL involvement?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

When I say 'ours' I mean The Yards. I'm involved.
    www.decl.org

Cool. Omar is a great guy. I hope this project does well.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

We are now actively selling ads. You can email [email protected] for more info.

Letter from the Editor - http://www.theyardsyeg.ca/?page_id=34
    www.decl.org

Ad booking deadline is November 1.
    www.decl.org

We have a limited amount of tickets available for our official launch party at Yellowhead Brewery on November 27. Mayor Don Iveson will be our special guest in a short interview about downtown issues.

https://www.picatic.com/event14155735167332290
    www.decl.org

I will be there!
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

^
    Last edited by GreenSPACE; 17-11-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    www.decl.org

Tickets are almost gone! If you're still thinking of going, be sure to purchase yours soon.
    www.decl.org

Thanks to everyone who bought a ticket, the launch party is sold out! See you Thursday!
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

New publication “The Yards” focuses on hyper-local news for Edmonton’s core communities

The Yards is far from being your typical newsletter when it ends up in mailboxes on Dec. 1.

Revitalizing how hyper-local news is delivered, The Yards is a unique collaboration between the Downtown and Oliver community leagues as well as local editorial contributors who will share news on the core areas facing new development projects.

The quarterly magazine, which will be directly distributed to 24,000 mailboxes, officially launches Thursday and features editorial features, a community calendar and an op-ed piece by Councillor Scott McKeen.

Omar Mouallem, editor of The Yards and Metro columnist, says there’s no better time to launch a community publication such as this one that truly focuses on the issues that matter most to residents of the area.

http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/12...e-communities/

Looking forward to tomorrow night's launch.
    www.decl.org

The Yards magazine a fresh take on the community newsletter

BY ANDREA ROSS, EDMONTON JOURNAL

EDMONTON - A new local magazine is looking to grow alongside Edmonton’s rapidly expanding downtown core.

Focusing on the social, cultural and urban planning issues affecting the downtown and Oliver communities, the quarterly publication The Yards will be delivered to 24,000 mailboxes across the downtown area.

Launching in December, the magazine is a collaboration between the non-profit Central Edmonton News Society, the Oliver and Downtown Edmonton Community leagues, and local editors, writers and graphic designers. The magazine’s name is a tribute to the CN Rail yards that ran through the downtown area decades ago, and to the area’s role as a gathering place.

Edited by National Magazine Award-winning writer Omar Mouallem and designed by local graphic designer Vikki Wiercinksi, the magazine includes development, lifestyle and cultural stories from award-winning local freelance writers and illustrators. Ward 6 Councillor Scott McKeen has penned the first op-ed for the inaugural issue.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...081/story.html
    www.decl.org

The first issue is now live! Check it out:

http://www.theyardsyeg.ca/
    www.decl.org

Very cool. Well done, to everyone involved!
    You know you're better than this.

Direct link to the 2014 winter issue.

http://issuu.com/theyardsyeg/docs/ya...nospreads-issu
    www.decl.org

^ interesting use of the Fox Towers, Jasper House and the spaceship of an arena on the cover.

Great looking magazine, some parallels to Avenue, but this will be something I'll look forward to reading every few months!

A good backgrounder by Mack Male - http://blog.mastermaq.ca/2014/12/01/...eet-the-yards/
    www.decl.org

Limited copies available now at the Little Library box outside the DECL space. Will be in select coffee shops and restaurants later this week.
    www.decl.org

^ just the usual urbanista haunts, eh?
    Hopefully I see my copy in the mail soon.

^Some have arrived in the mail today.
    www.decl.org

Omar and Jarrett on Alberta Primetime yesterday:

http://albertaprimetime.com/Stories.aspx?pd=7251
    www.decl.org

Still waiting for my copy to hit my mailbox

As mentioned on SSP, next week due to a printing situation. Curious to get some feedback!
    www.decl.org

I talked with Omar on twitter about it. I dig the content, hate the ridiculous number of ads & wish I could opt out of dead-tree copies, but evidently they'll be jammed in my box even with my "No unaddressed mail" sign.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^There is no one simple solution to that. The previous volunteer delivered method saw even more copies thrown away before they even reached residents. This is by far the best method to reach readers. Thankfully it can be recycled.

The number of ads is actually less than other publications of its type. Otherwise how do you propose to pay for a publication of this quality in style and content?

No matter what we do, there is no pleasing everyone. Thankfully most of the feedback has been quite positive.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Otherwise how do you propose to pay for a publication of this quality in style and content?
    See, to me, the ads take away from the quality, style & content. I know there's financial realities in play, but it's really off-putting to me to be 40% advertising (that was the figure given to me by Omar. I've not actually bothered checking.)

I don't have a solution, but I know another dead-tree copy won't make it into my condo proper. I'll check it out online though.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^We thank you for recycling
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Is there any good way to read individual articles online? When I have it open on my large screen the font is really small and blurry. But when I click on an article (which creates a nice font), it's nearly impossible to navigate. The article dances around on my screen every time the mouse moves but can't be controlled so I can see the next paragraph.

There's a similar program I use for one of my science periodicals for work. But that allows you to double click the headline and see the article in its own window. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Any instructions page?

Eve

Final-ly got my issue of Ya-rds in the mail. Read the first couple of pages, will work thro-ugh the rest of it this week-end.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    Is there any good way to read individual articles online? When I have it open on my large screen the font is really small and blurry. But when I click on an article (which creates a nice font), it's nearly impossible to navigate. The article dances around on my screen every time the mouse moves but can't be controlled so I can see the next paragraph.

There's a similar program I use for one of my science periodicals for work. But that allows you to double click the headline and see the article in its own window. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Any instructions page?

Eve
    I have not had problems with using Issuu. A full website is in the plans for the near future with permalinks to each article.
    www.decl.org

Administrator *

I don't live in downtown. Any way I can get a copy mailed to me? I'd be willing to pay

You can snag copies at various places around town and in the little library beside DECL's space on 103st.
    www.decl.org

Administrator *

I can't get it mailed to me though?

The people who get it in their mailbox but don't want it can't change that & the people that do want it in their mailbox but can't get it can't change that either.

BRILLIANT!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    It is sent to specific postal codes in Oliver and Downtown... not to specific addresses.

Stop by the DECL little library or view it online.
    www.decl.org

Interview with Editor Omar Mouallem on the Unknown Studio. Interview starts around the 20:00 mark.

http://theunknownstudio.ca/2014/12/m...-yards-s06e05/
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    It is sent to specific postal codes in Oliver and Downtown... not to specific addresses.

Stop by the DECL little library or view it online.
    Also copies now around Downtown and Oliver at various cafes/restaurants/galleries, etc.
    www.decl.org

Administrator *

Well you guys should consider expanding to include nearby neighbourhoods like McCauley, Queen Mary Park, Boyle Street, etc.

^ I think the community leagues of those neighborhoods would need to chip in on the production costs and such.

I believe there was a focussed intent... Though that would not prohibit stories from other neighbourhoods.

Who knows what the future holds for it.
    www.decl.org

Well you guys should consider expanding to include nearby neighbourhoods like McCauley, Queen Mary Park, Boyle Street, etc.
    Boyle McCauley News is a great paper that's been publishing for a very long time. I just finished reading their latest edition.