Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: YEG Passenger Numbers for 2014

I'd rather C2E than work!

When was the last time we got a new domestic route?
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

I can't remember.

Comox?

Cranbrook?

You have a point.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

The largest city we don't have a nonstop to is Quebec City I think.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    When was the last time we got a new domestic route?
    In 2011, Integra Air added Cranbrook, they have since dropped it.

^Precisely.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

I would not be surprised to see that the recent weakness is actually due to a slowdown in demand rather than a lack of capacity.

How about Ft. St. John? Prince George. When was the last time we go a new domestic route? How about Naniamo. Replacing one Edmonton domestic passenger with an Edmonton transborder passenger is not going to grow our route network very quickly.
    ^Precisely.
    Precisely indeed. You're complaining that WestJet doesn't serve Fort St. John, Prince George or Nanaimo, yet the last two domestic routes launched from Edmonton failed. Integra Air to Cranbrook and WestJet to Kamloops (though they're giving it another try next year).

WestJet has the numbers and if there was a case for those markets they'd launch them. In June they will start third daily Abbotsford on Encore, they could have just as easily used that aircraft on any of those destinations you listed, but they saw the numbers and decided they'd make more money flying that plane to Abbotsford.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    How about Ft. St. John? Prince George. When was the last time we go a new domestic route? How about Naniamo. Replacing one Edmonton domestic passenger with an Edmonton transborder passenger is not going to grow our route network very quickly.
    ^Precisely.
    Precisely indeed. You're complaining that WestJet doesn't serve Fort St. John, Prince George or Nanaimo, yet the last two domestic routes launched from Edmonton failed. Integra Air to Cranbrook and WestJet to Kamloops (though they're giving it another try next year).

WestJet has the numbers and if there was a case for those markets they'd launch them. In June they will start third daily Abbotsford on Encore, they could have just as easily used that aircraft on any of those destinations you listed, but they saw the numbers and decided they'd make more money flying that plane to Abbotsford.
    What if any other destinations do you think WJ may add?

^Precisely.

Long term for Edmonton to compete with Calgary, we need an airline hub. I think that's pretty safe to say.

If Westjet would be that airline, that would be great, but if they won't, then we still need an airline hub. We're out of the coma now, we don't need to stand around with our hands in our pockets.

I was asking GreatestX for his view...given his post.

???

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    ^Precisely.

What if any other destinations do you think WJ may add?
    I'd put money on Nanaimo.

C2E SME

I'd like to see routes like London/Waterloo-Winnipeg-Edmonton-Nanaimo, giving smaller centers the opportunity to access major cities.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Addicted to C2E

As per the thoughts of ThegreatestX , Air Canada has just announced a daily flight from Nanaimo to Calgary. That will join the Two westjet encore flights daily to Calgary . There is real strong growth in this market in the last year and There is a very strong desire from Nanaimo and Cowichan residents for direct service to Edmonton, but it is slower in coming as the two airlines are focused on the Calgary market.

believe it or not, there are tons of trade workers in those regions and they have to get to Edm or Calg for the FBO flights. Once again Edm. is primarily their choice but are refused services due to the two airlines' Calgary hubs. They hate Calgary as once they board the FBO flights, it has to land in Edmonton anyways to pick up more passengers then to the camp. What these cruel airlines don't understand or care is that they put hardship to many workers as their travels to camp is that much longer, and all in the meantime, making these two airlines a handsome profit.

Hamilton is also another large city that is not served well.

There are flights to Fort St.John through Integra.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Nope, that's CMA. Integra only flies to Lethbridge.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    believe it or not, there are tons of trade workers in those regions and they have to get to Edm or Calg for the FBO flights. Once again Edm. is primarily their choice but are refused services due to the two airlines' Calgary hubs. They hate Calgary as once they board the FBO flights, it has to land in Edmonton anyways to pick up more passengers then to the camp. What these cruel airlines don't understand or care is that they put hardship to many workers as their travels to camp is that much longer, and all in the meantime, making these two airlines a handsome profit.

Hamilton is also another large city that is not served well.

Don't over state the situation the airlines are not being cruel they are doing what they think is best for them. Unfortunately that does not align with YEG's ambition of being a regional hub. If YEG is to realize it's ambitions of creating an aerotropolis it cannot rely on the good will of the airlines who introduce and withdraw service on a whim. Kamloops today maybe not tomorrow when they decide to run the traffic through their hub.
    I thought that with all the FBO charters flying out of YEG they would improve domestic service to Edmonton but they have hardly budged instead WS have enhanced their domestic service to YVR and YYC with the introduction of Encore and very little to YEG.
    Consider the the passenger growth from 2004 to 2013 before the introduction of Icelanair. Overall there has been a 75% increase from 4mil to 7 mil. Transborder has more than doubled in this time international has tripled and domestic has only grown 66%.
    http://corporate.flyeia.com/node/17950

Cool

^^
    Correct as i have flown with them to there.

^
    Satisfying customers that fork out an arm and a leg, price wise, to get home and back regularly should be their priority. As well, lets not even get into the prices that all these workers pay for their flights.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

December Highlights:

Terminal Traffic: 614,757 passengers (7,332,521 Year-total)
    Domestic 436,015 passengers (5,500,592 Year-total)
    Transborder 124,761 passengers (1,372,669 Year-total)
    International 53,981 passengers (459,260 Year-total)
    2014 Year total 7,332,521 passengers

FBO Traffic*: 53,940 passengers
    2014 Year total 907,640 passengers

Grand Total: Overall 668,697 passengers
    2014 Year total 8,240,161 passengers

Growth%:
    Terminal: 0.1% (5.0% Year-total)
    Domestic -0.7% (3.5% Year-total)
    Transborder 1.9% (8.5% Year-total)
    International 2.0% (13.1% Year-total)
    2014 Year total 5.0%

FBO Traffic: -7.6%
    2014 Year total 27.0%

Grand Total: Overall -0.6%
    2014 Year total 7.0%

*FBO passengers are passengers using the fixed base operators at YEG and not the main terminal. Most of this traffic serves energy and mining projects in the north

Those are terrific numbers especially m ore than 7 million terminal and more than 8 million overall.
    With KLM entering our market in May, international should have a stellar year.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123