Thread: Worlds Fair 2017 - Updates - Summer 2007

Default Worlds Fair 2017 - Updates - Summer 2007

Worlds Fair 2017 - no recent news?

Hi all -
    I haven't really heard much on this idea - and this forum seems rather dead now - is there still wind behind the sails of this idea? Anything going on behind the scenes?
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

feepa,

Lots going on behind the scenes and yes, there is also still lots of wind behind the sails of this idea.

There have been and continue to be meetings held regarding the World's Fair 2017 and last week I (djgirl) met with several key people.

Stay tuned as I assure you there will be substantive developments to report on shortly.

(Thanks for asking the question!)

Excerpt from the post "A Visitor's View of Edmonton".

BTW, for those following the World’s Fair 2017 bid proposal process…stay tuned I have a LOT of irons in some really hot fires…

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...615&highlight=

I have had discussions with lots of people (including several who are involved with YVR 2010 from a logistic and communications standpoint) and everyone I speak to are as excited and confident as this grassroots group is about Edmonton's bid for WF 2017.

I will post information and updates as they become more definitive...in other words—stay tuned!

Partially Addicted to C2E

I'm all for a 2017 World's Fair bid. Personally I'd like to see it on the old packing plant sites at Yellowhead and Fort Road, since it's on an existing LRT line, the land is not being used, and it's large enough for such a site. I know people want to see the downtown Airport used for such an event, but I still support keeping City Centre open as an active airfield...

^ City Centre (YXD) is not being utilized as a commercial airport...and Edmonton had that referendum to close it to limit commercial air service...

Still working people and contacts (so that phone dial and email!) regarding WF 2017 and hope to have an update in a timely matter.

I hate that communications response but I really do not have a definitive date period so it will have to ...in a timely matter...for now.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Has the City of Edmonton (and Capital Region) formally requested support of the Province (and $ for Preliminary Study) in support of a bid?? Now is the time when Stelmach should be approached - his government is looking for ways to win our hearts, minds (and votes).

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker
    Has the City of Edmonton (and Capital Region) formally requested support of the Province (and $ for Preliminary Study) in support of a bid?? Now is the time when Stelmach should be approached - his government is looking for ways to win our hearts, minds (and votes).
    ^ Good question...

The best I can say is a qualified yes (as in to some extent).

Has there been a direct ask—no.

You are right there seems to be largesse from the AB government presently. The possibility of a fall election seems to be a motivator.

Unfortunately there has been change on the provincial level with ministers portfolios and the like making it hard to transverse the right channels.

Speaking on behalf of the grassroots group the difficulties faced has been finding the time to approach and meet with key people while dealing with personal details like work or finding work (me), conflicting and demanding schedules (all).

The Worlds Fair 2017 Bid proposal is not on the backburner…our approach is methodical and careful as we only have one chance to make a proposal (make a winning bid!).

Cheers,

djgirl