Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traffic Circles in Edmonton

We have that odd inverted traffic circle at 87 AVE & Groat. Is there something like this elsewhere in the city?

Administrator *

^ Scona Rd and 95A Ave has a similar set up.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ As did 60 Av / 61 Av / 113 St before the south LRT. I curse the loss of that one every time I have to stop at that light.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    ^ As did 60 Av / 61 Av / 113 St before the south LRT. I curse the loss of that one every time I have to stop at that light.
    Traffic circles are more efficient. I was stuck at that intersection trying to turn left for 4 or 5 light changes. Cars backed up for blocks...

I avoid it like the plague.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I love traffic circles and find them to be a blast. I can fly through the Bonnie Doon T/C at 60 kph and not slow down. I think that many people are scared of them because they don't understand them. They need more signage like some have.

Excellent sign! That's how I was taught to drive them. Simple.

I was astounded to learn that the right lane could go 3/4 of the was around and the left lane a 1/4. The circle at the zoo attracts the former all the time. It's just such a bad practice I don't know why people do it. And I've seen people do the latter a couple times too.

Then people use bad signalling, often signalling their intention way too late for it to be useful to other drivers entering the circle.

Simple common sense but people just aren't taught that a turn signal - is a signal.

eg On straight roads, people often signal after they start their lane change and continue well into to other lane, as if that does anything.
    I agree on the signal lights but I disagree on the signs - they are contrary to current law. This is where the confusion starts, signs on one traffic circle but not the others. There is no 1/4 or 3/4… taken direct from the current Alberta Driver’s Handbook… “Drivers entering the circular intersection must yield to drivers already in the circle. While in the circle, the driver on the right must yield to the driver on the left. Once in the circle, drivers must activate the right signal when preparing to exit. Do not change lanes in the circle.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lightjug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I love traffic circles and find them to be a blast. I can fly through the Bonnie Doon T/C at 60 kph and not slow down. I think that many people are scared of them because they don't understand them. They need more signage like some have.

Excellent sign! That's how I was taught to drive them. Simple.

I was astounded to learn that the right lane could go 3/4 of the was around and the left lane a 1/4. The circle at the zoo attracts the former all the time. It's just such a bad practice I don't know why people do it. And I've seen people do the latter a couple times too.

Then people use bad signalling, often signalling their intention way too late for it to be useful to other drivers entering the circle.

Simple common sense but people just aren't taught that a turn signal - is a signal.

eg On straight roads, people often signal after they start their lane change and continue well into to other lane, as if that does anything.
    I agree on the signal lights but I disagree on the signs - they are contrary to current law. This is where the confusion starts, signs on one traffic circle but not the others. There is no 1/4 or 3/4… taken direct from the current Alberta Driver’s Handbook… “Drivers entering the circular intersection must yield to drivers already in the circle. While in the circle, the driver on the right must yield to the driver on the left. Once in the circle, drivers must activate the right signal when preparing to exit. Do not change lanes in the circle.”
    Yeah I'd like to see signs on all traffic circles/roundabouts and the law changed to eliminate the 1/4-3/4 risk* (though I've never seen an accident occur as a result of it). The signs may not be totally accurate but are they "contrary to current law" or just incomplete? I think they would improve traffic flow.

As for accidents, the only accidents I can ever recall are mostly rear enders just like on on-ramps with yield signs.

* a car in the right lane, but slightly ahead of a car in the left lane cannot/maynot see a driver signalling to exit and may not be able to safely yield to an exiting car on the left. Thus the driver on the right "cuts off" a driver trying to exit. The exiting driver has to suddenly hit his/her/... brakes to safety exit.
    Last edited by KC; 22-12-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Trivia:

BBC - Autos - How Tube stations got their unusual names
    Excerpt:

This Tube station (and London landmark) doesn’t get its name from a long-forgotten fair, but rather from the alternate meaning of ‘circus’ to refer to a round junction where several streets meet.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20170...ilarious-names

C2E SME

So the Bonnie Doon traffic circle is probably only months away from disappearing. Will that leave the 98th ave traffic circle as the last one in the Edmonton region?

Funny that in other cities they are taking out intersections and putting in traffic circles to reduce congestion and improve traffic flow.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    So the Bonnie Doon traffic circle is probably only months away from disappearing. Will that leave the 98th ave traffic circle as the last one in the Edmonton region?
    Only if you forget about the 2 on 142 street.

and other cities are installing more traffic circles to slow traffic and to calm traffic.

C2E SME

A lot of those tend to be single lane deals, though. I would imagine because the average driver is totally flummoxed by 2 lane traffic circles for some reason.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ Only here.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Most of the ones I see elsewhere have better signage and wayfinding. Nobody bothers to signal except in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Only if you forget about the 2 on 142 street.
    And 118 ave 101 st

I kind of like them, too bad if they all disappear. Gave Edmonton something distinctive. And really good for the body shops in town.
    Last edited by K364; 13-02-2019 at 05:18 PM.

And small ones like in Crestview and Hazeldean.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The new 87 Ave west of Winterburn Rd has 4 traffic circles. Sherwood Park still has multiple, Spruce Grove has a big new one as well.

There's a big distinction between single lane (Roundabout?) and two lane circles. The single lane is a traffic calming device and is usually seen in the suburbs. The two lane tries to promote better traffic flow at the expense of chaos.

I did 4,000 kilometers of driving across Europe last year and went through a couple of hundred traffic circles, both small or large. They are hugely effective and efficent. Much better than a 4 way stop or lights. In fact, two of the most irritating traffic snarls I got into were at intersections with lights. I even went through a couple of traffic circles that had only two access points that was intended to allow U turns. The primary use is not a traffic calming device but rather an efficent and effective controlled intersection compared to a mindless timed traffic lights.

More roundabouts heading to Michigan
    Coty Kuschinsky
    Posted 15 min ago

““We do only have approximately seven in our regional area but there are approximately 43 roundabouts on MDOT roads statewide with many more on local highways,” said Erik Tamlyn, the MDOT Safety and Traffic Operations Engineer. “In addition to those 43, we have several more planned.”

According to Tamlyn, MDOT is looking at more roundabout locations for intersections that have a high concentration of both traffic and crashes.

“We basically eliminate the head on or left turn or angle ‘T-bone’ type crashes by the instillation of theses roundabouts. We’re really improving safety,” Tamlyn said.

https://www.wnem.com/news/more-round...522e59ef2.html
    CANADA
    April 19, 2018 4:37 pm Updated: April 19, 2018 5:30 pm
    Calls for highway roundabouts get louder in wake of Humboldt bus crash

By Fletcher Kent
    Reporter Global News

“If there’s a roundabout there, they have to stop or they have to slow down. They don’t have a choice. It won’t be: ‘Oh, I didn’t see.'”
    The U.S.-based Transportation Research Board found building highway roundabouts reduces fatalities by 90 per cent, injuries by 80 per cent and total collisions by 40 per cent.

They’re cheaper than overpasses to build and cheaper to operate than traffic lights.

Canadian provinces are building more roundabouts. There are about 400 nation-wide.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4156114/h...cos-bus-crash/

SCDOT: Roundabouts are safer; circular intersections are being used more in S.C.’s rural areas | Local | thetandd.com

“ "Roundabouts are among the top nine proven countermeasures to improve road safety,"
    SCDOT Safety Project Manager Brett McCutcheon said.”

https://thetandd.com/news/local/scdo...7073535c0.html

Bolding mine
    Last edited by KC; 13-02-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Here’s a 2006 thread on much the same issues:

What to do with roundabouts?

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...th-roundabouts

A rant against closure of traffic circles

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...raffic-circles

And another one - one I started in 2008.

More "roundabouts", fewer intersections

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...-intersections

New roundabout to provide safer turns

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...de-safer-turns

2006 - neat idea:

Monuments in Traffic Circles

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...raffic-Circles
    Last edited by KC; 13-02-2019 at 09:55 PM.

“Some people (especially drunk ones) are just not very good at driving in a circle. ” - source: see below

The Other Side of Roundabouts: More Crashes
    JOHN METCALFE MAR 3, 2017
    Reuters/China Daily
    Traffic circles are great at preventing fatal wrecks. But what can be done about the crashes they do provoke?

Roundabouts are easy to love. They’re elegant in design, reduce traffic deaths compared to traditional intersections, and can support some gnarly public art.

But Americans hate them anyway, and one reason may be becoming clearer:...

Past monitoring of 30 of the state’s 300-plus roundabouts revealed these particular intersections, which used to be traffic-signal controlled, experienced a 38 percent drop in car deaths and injuries. At the same time the total number of crashes jumped 12 percent. These additional accidents caused mainly property damage, and are thought to be a result of confused or unprepared drivers trying to navigate the unfamiliar roadway design.

In terms of types of accidents, the vast majority (87 percent) were drivers gunning it off the road,
    more than half of which did so right as they approached a roundabout. As car buffs know, ...”

https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/...rashes/518484/
    Last edited by KC; 14-02-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12