Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Terwillegar Foot Bridge

Medwards, that "fairly steep hill" is what seperates the men from the boys!

I have no issue with the hills. In fact, the more the better for me, in fact, I'll seek out a grueling uphill (mostly so I can ride back down it... loves me some downhill action...), But we are not building the park for me, or just men, we are building the park with accessible for all in mind. Seniors, children and everyone in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    having traveled this route you suggest many times... I know one doesn't need to go up to ada blvd, one could simply take the lower path, go under the capilano bridge, and continue to the ...(gasp) goldbar footbridge... where one could continue to ride in the river valley till one gets to the ...(gasp) 1st Rundle Park footbridge....where one could continue further up northeast to the current trail terminus below clareview/144 avenue, or instead going up to clareview, one could take the other rundle park footbridge (gasp) to the strathcona science park... gasp.

One could take the foot bridge at Louise McKinney to the southside, then head east, and follow the river in the river valley all the way to gold bar park...
    Next please - please state more examples. also, in your further response to this thread, could you identify how one accesses Terwillegar Park from the west end if you eliminate these footbridges, without having to trek up a fairly steep hill and travelling 2 kms+ through residential?

(also - have you bothered looking at the maps I've supplied, the links I've provided... I'm guessing not.. with the statements you're making.)
    Ask yourself why one would want to access Terwillegar park from other regions, the westend or anywhere. Its one of the least attractive parks in the city and with a lot of barren land decades ago chewed up by any number of off road vehicles, ATV's dirt bikes etc. Not exactly a destination type park for most people. Given the choice of any park to go to in the river valley not sure why access to Terwillegar is considered vitally important.

For anybody but say people in Riverbend I wouldn't recommend it. So many nicer parks and green areas.

As far as "lower trails" in the east you do know that many of these have been rendered unsafe due to high water levels and erosion and have been closed to the public several times in recent years. I haven't been this year yet as I tend to cycle closer to home these days but it is possible in this discussion you are talking about dirt trails while I am referring to paved trails.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-07-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^ I have been driven , along with my dog, to that park. We had a great hike. It is pretty cool!

At some point I imagine you will see it developed in some fashion, Even if that development is a bird sanctuary or something of the like.

Its also a really awesome place to access the river.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    ^ I have been driven , along with my dog, to that park. We had a great hike. It is pretty cool!

At some point I imagine you will see it developed in some fashion, Even if that development is a bird sanctuary or something of the like.

if you want great hiking go anywhere in the Whitemud Ravine trail system. Much more beautiful environment. Basically can't go wrong anywhere in there.

Goes all the way to the river.

Terwillegar used to be trashed endlessly by people that would exploit it in anyway possible. people camping without facility or licence, squatting, 4X4, for decades didn't resemble anything close to a pastoral park environment. Used to be a place where people would crash for any purpose largely sight unseen. Bush party central as well. I guess its improved somewhat since then but one side of that park still looks like a dry barren wasted stretch where not much grows.

That said I'm curious so I'll check it out again.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-07-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

if you want great hiking go anywhere in the Whitemud Ravine trail system. Much more beautiful environment. Basically can't go wrong anywhere in there.

Goes all the way to the river.

Terwillegar used to be trashed endlessly by people that would exploit it in anyway possible. people camping without facility or licence, squatting, 4X4, for decades didn't resemble anything close to a pastoral park environment. Used to be a place where people would crash for any purpose largely sight unseen. Bush party central as well. I guess its improved somewhat since then but one side of that park still looks like a dry barren wasted stretch where not much grows.

That said I'm curious so I'll check it out again.
    The reason Tewillegar park looks as it does is because it was a very active gravel quarry.

It's also one of the reasons why it was allowed to be the mountain biking and off-leash dog park it is, because whatever true natural area had existed had long been torn apart by the gravel production.

It kind of hits that sweet spot between bring cultivated into the more formal parks we have that are controlled and "manicured" (ie planted grass, picnic tables, parks...Hawrelak, QE, Louise McKinnee) and a true nature preserve (Whitemud Park).

Its the ruggedness and "looser" rules that a lot of people were drawn to and still are.

Also helps the river is very approachable from Tewillegar...and upstream of the combined sewers.

When was it a gravel quarry? Also replacement this route would be shorter for me to get out to the hiller farm / cyeg route i do every year because the route i take now is longer

here is the part of the route that i take now to get out to cyeg http://goo.gl/maps/ZZxXN

now with those bridges that would be alot shorter and easyer i could even have different options of what route to take.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    Ask yourself why one would want to access Terwillegar park from other regions, the westend or anywhere. Its one of the least attractive parks in the city and with a lot of barren land decades ago chewed up by any number of off road vehicles, ATV's dirt bikes etc. Not exactly a destination type park for most people. Given the choice of any park to go to in the river valley not sure why access to Terwillegar is considered vitally important.
    On any given weeknight or weekend, the parking lot there is virtually full. It's a very well used park. And yes, it's a "destination" for many people to walk/swim their dogs or to bike. I would imagine many people in the SW would feel the same way as you do about Rundle or Gold Bar parks. Who needs access to those, right? Just people in the NE. Why bother with bridges and paths and all that fluff?

Yeah Terwillegar Park is very well used. Sure there's no natural ice skating in the winter or paddleboat rentals in the summer, but that's the beauty of it. It's rugged and open for adventure. Tons of paths ranging from easy to difficult for hiking, biking, etc. Loads of space for the dogs to run around.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    On any given weeknight or weekend, the parking lot there is virtually full. It's a very well used park. And yes, it's a "destination" for many people to walk/swim their dogs or to bike. I would imagine many people in the SW would feel the same way as you do about Rundle or Gold Bar parks. Who needs access to those, right? Just people in the NE. Why bother with bridges and paths and all that fluff?
    I don't particularly like Goldbar park either. Rundle park at least has some diversified facilities.
    Just pointing out that Terwillegar is more of a regional use park, similar in that way to Jackie Parker park. I wouldn't expect many people from outside the region to have it in mind as a destination park. What it does have going for it is river access and a good launching point

The argument that the "parking lot is full" at Terwillegar is laughable as a sign of Medwards assertion that its the most used park. Even the aforementioned Jackie Parker park has more lots just in the dog run portion. Theres many days where 200 hundred vehicles are parked in Jackie Parker and the lots are full since they complete the childrens water park and playpark.
    Last edited by Replacement; 23-07-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Just biked through Terwillegar this morning. Parking lot near full. It's only a tuesday morning. Lots of people walking their dogs or just out for a stroll.
    The best part about Terwillegar is that its not over groomed. It's more of a natural state... And there's lots of different paths to take.

And Rundle Park used to be a garbage dump. What a place was is not the point, it's what it will become.

^Reading that just hurt my brain.

So was the Strathcona Science park. the Commonwealth Stadium site, Grierson Hill

http://www.rewedmonton.ca/content_view2?CONTENT_ID=972

Edmonton's dumps reborn as playgrounds
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=14096
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Wasn't alot of where west Edmonton mall area a garbage dump as well or was it just a marshland?

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
    Wasn't alot of where west Edmonton mall area a garbage dump as well or was it just a marshland?
    It was more of an unauthorized garbage dump. Large dark open field people would drive into the middle of with pickup trucks and dump everything they didn't want.

Rundle Park, yeah, this is well known. A major dump.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
    It was more of an unauthorized garbage dump. Large dark open field people would drive into the middle of with pickup trucks and dump everything they didn't want.
    You just described the Yellowhead highway, particularly coming in from the east starting at Cloverbar.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

He's really described most of central and northern alberta.

I've been to both the Terwillegar park and Fort Edmonton foot bridge several times since last posting. Terwillegar Park is still really busy all the time. It will be great to open this park up to easy access to more people on the west end with this new bridge. The fort Edmonton foot bridge still seems busy everytime I pass it.... Will be much busier once this other footbridge is open too.
    It's great that for the cost of 8 Million dollars, the city is getting 24 million dollars worth of investment in its awesome park system.

Wondering if the agitator in this thread has gone through with what was promised ... Have you even bothered to visit Terwillegar?
    Last edited by Medwards; 14-08-2013 at 11:29 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Terwilligar ped bridge work has started on the park side. Looked like they were getting the bank ready and one crane on site. Nothing happening on the other side yet.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

I've been to both the Terwillegar park and Fort Edmonton foot bridge several times since last posting. Terwillegar Park is still really busy all the time. It will be great to open this park up to easy access to more people on the west end with this new bridge. The fort Edmonton foot bridge still seems busy everytime I pass it.... Will be much busier once this other footbridge is open too.
    It's great that for the cost of 8 Million dollars, the city is getting 24 million dollars worth of investment in its awesome park system.

Wondering if the agitator in this thread has gone through with what was promised ... Have you even bothered to visit Terwillegar?
    agitator? lol

tbh I haven't visited it recently yet. Been working and out of town a lot. I will visit it. Maybe even on my bike. I'm just looking for the best bike friendly route from Mill woods.

not sure on your exact starting point... but this is the route I would take.... (note the green trails are multi-use or bike friendly sidewalks.

not sure on your exact starting point... but this is the route I would take.... (note the green trails are multi-use or bike friendly sidewalks.

Yeah, thanks. I was thinking about going all the way down 34th ave multiuse trail as far as The derrick club. But I usually head north on 91st at that point so I'm not clear on whether bike path continues west. At that point it becomes less clear what I would do. I prefer minimizing use of roadways. There used to be a multiuse bridge crossing of Whitemud ravine located somewhere approx. 28ave. This was closed for a longwhile due to flooding damage. Is it open again? Its located on a utility corridor. That would be a good route if bridge is open again.

its hard to get this from maps, particularly google maps which are often outdated. Thanks again in advance for any feedback.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-08-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Yeah, I'd suggest 34th all the way to Derrick Club, then go South until you get to the power lines. Follow the multiuse path under the power lines all the way until you get to Whitemud Road then through Riverbend to Rabbit Hill Road then jump into Terwillgar Park.

There used to be a multiuse bridge crossing of Whitemud ravine located somewhere approx. 28ave. This was closed for a longwhile due to flooding damage. Is it open again? Its located on a utility corridor. That would be a good route if bridge is open again.

its hard to get this from maps, particularly google maps which are often outdated. Thanks again in advance for any feedback.
    Bridge and path are still there, and open, as of last night at least (may have changed since...). It actually wasn't damaged, but there was concerns it could wash out during the monsoons we had earlier this summer. All good now. If your not a fan of steep hills, I'd take the multi-use path that follows 23rd avenue, as the hill is longer, but a lot less steep.

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Yeah, I'd suggest 34th all the way to Derrick Club, then go South until you get to the power lines. Follow the multiuse path under the power lines all the way until you get to Whitemud Road then through Riverbend to Rabbit Hill Road then jump into Terwillgar Park.
    Thanks as well. So I assume from this that the bridge at the bottom of the trail across Whitemud creek is open again?

It was closed all of last year afairc.

There used to be a multiuse bridge crossing of Whitemud ravine located somewhere approx. 28ave. This was closed for a longwhile due to flooding damage. Is it open again? Its located on a utility corridor. That would be a good route if bridge is open again.

Bridge and path are still there, and open, as of last night at least (may have changed since...). It actually wasn't damaged, but there was concerns it could wash out during the monsoons we had earlier this summer. All good now. If your not a fan of steep hills, I'd take the multi-use path that follows 23rd avenue, as the hill is longer, but a lot less steep.
    Thanks Medwards. Last year that bridge was shut due to flooding. I was not sure what had happened since. I've been on that hill a lot hiking or cycling. It is a straight up killer in that its straight line vertical. Not even switchback or meandering. Definitely one I have to gear down for. lol.

Its been two years so "gearing down" at my advancing age might include dismounting and walking bike halfway uphill with tongue hanging out if no ones looking...
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-08-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Default Golf course

The city should turn Terwillegar park into a golf course. Same with the lands below the ECC

Uhh no they shouldn't... We have plenty of golf courses in the river valley

C2E SME

Yeah, while I am a member at the ECC, we don't need any more golf courses in the river valley or even within the city. Edmonton already has amongst the highest number of golf courses per capita of any city in the world. Terwillegar is great the way it is, don't touch it.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

related: concept study for Terwillegar Park here: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme..._May29-PPT.pdf

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    the Terwillegar Park bridge will allow people from the other side of the river to access the off-leash area without having to drive 20+ minutes around and park at Terwillegar Park. So that's something.
    That's actually something that hasn't really been discussed, and potentially has a massive battle brewing. Not in terms of the bridge itself, but how people on the W/N side of the river are to access the new bridge. As of right now, there's not really a lot of access from the top of bank down to the bottom, except through Woodward Crescent and I think Wolf Willow Ravine.

The city has recently started an expropriation process to take over the private access road in to the Edmonton Golf and Country Club in order to move equipment and materials through to build the bridge. I know there's probably not going to be a whole lot of sympathy for all the "rich people" there, but the road is totally inappropriate for that use for a variety of reasons (it's not large enough, it has several sharp corners that large vehicles can't navigate, it cuts through the middle of the golf course within ten feet of half a dozen golf holes, the snack shack, pro shop, and clubhouse, and the road down in to the flats is geotechnically extremely unstable, a fire truck using it to fight a brush fire last year broke through the pavement, on and on and on).

On top of that, there's a suspicion that while city administration is saying that the road would be returned to the ECC after the bridge was built, that the city may in the end decide to retain the road for public access and potentially park improvements down in River Valley Oleskiw. I believe Karen Leibovici or another councillor outright asked in a council meeting "why would we give the road back and not retain access?", to paraphrase.

If that were to happen, that would essentially be the end of the ECC, which keep in mind is an integral part of the city's history and has been located there for 100 years exactly as of this year (it was actually located where the Victoria course and Legislature is now, from 1896 to 1913). Or it would cost millions upon millions of dollars to completely reconfigure half a dozen holes, move the clubhouse facilities, and improve/reconfigure the existing road.

Either way, this issue hasn't really come out publicly as of yet, but it soon will if the city continues on it's present course. The ECC tried to engage city administration constructively for a year, but received almost no information that it requested in terms of what sort of use the road would see during the bridge's construction. Yet city administration kept asking "have you made a decision yet?" It was almost comical. So when the ECC declined further discussion, administration began the expropriation process.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 21-10-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Marcel - didn't the ECC used to have more holes? And recently sold that part of the land to the city along the river?

C2E SME

No. Originally the back nine (which is the SW part of the course currently, on the other side of the ravine from the clubhouse) was down in the flats. That land was sold and the back nine moved up to the top of the river bank in the 1930's. It's always been an 18 hole course as far as I know. Some further changes were made in the 40's to the layout, and it's remained virtually the same since (with longer tees added as required over the years with better equipment).

oh okay, maybe I misheard then, cause I heard there used to be holes in the flats... but what you say makes sense....

The flats - that land is now owned by CoE right? Sold around 2000 to the city?

C2E SME

I don't really know. I'm just going off what the member booklet says! The land in the flats was sold in the 1930's, to whom I don't know, and when/if it changed hands to the city I don't know either. It really is a very nice sized chunk of land that sits almost entirely unused by anyone. Significantly bigger than Hawrelak. And that's why the ECC is so concerned about the city's future plans for access to it.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Awesome
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^ check the links for a better picture... in on of the pdfs I think...

Kinda reminds me a bit of the walkway in parts along the Toronto Harbourfront...

^I was going to say or Olympic Villagey
    www.decl.org

I haven't been to Vancouver in 4 years... Will have to check that out when I'm there this coming spring.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It really is a very nice sized chunk of land that sits almost entirely unused by anyone. Significantly bigger than Hawrelak.
    About 60ha to Hawrelak's 40, and currently very empty.

I've been out to Terwillegar park several times over this winter. I'm always amazed at how packed it is. People love this park! The footbridge will be an awesome addition to the entire river valley and the connectivity of it.

Was down there on Family Day. It was a madhouse.

Is this the off-leash dog park or a different park you guys are talking about?

Terwillegar Park is more than an off-leash park, but is an off-leash park.

Unhappy

I've been out to Terwillegar park several times over this winter. I'm always amazed at how packed it is. People love this park! The footbridge will be an awesome addition to the entire river valley and the connectivity of it.
    Great to see, although I reminice about walks with my pup with beavers and deer many years ago with few people in the evening.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Great to see, although I reminice about walks with my pup with beavers and deer many years ago with few people in the evening.
    You can still spot beavers and deer in the Whitemud ravine network. Even came across a Moose once. Had to wait for 15mins for him to decide to stop grazing near the trail. He was big, real big, kept a very respectful distance.

Also saw a porcupine and fortunately it was in a good mood..

I've gone out to Terwillegar a few times in the past year. Latest to try out my snowshoes. Not enough snow cover anymore pretty much anywhere this year. What you find is all hard and ice because of the melt freeze cycles. Yeah this park is way busier than I remember it. Of course some of my memories go back to the 70's and 80's where this was more remote and limited subdivision around. I remember Rabbit Hill Road being a whole lot more wooded and remote than this. heh. Used to be a bit of a challenge to find the park in the dark... don't ask..
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-02-2014 at 10:27 PM.

^ LOL, and I remember Ellerslie Road being the very best place to let my Chevy Iroc H.O. uh, you know, do what Iroc H.O.'s do best ...

Still see beavers, lots of em, at the Fort Edmonton footbridge - they'll still be doin' what they do best when the Terwilliger span goes in.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    ^ LOL, and I remember Ellerslie Road being the very best place to let my Chevy Iroc H.O. uh, you know, do what Iroc H.O.'s do best ...

Still see beavers, lots of em, at the Fort Edmonton footbridge - they'll still be doin' what they do best when the Terwilliger span goes in.
    haha I was running a 1979 Camaro Berlinetta. Had been around that area. Nice long strip...Had not so great acceleration until 4 barrel carb kicked in but nice topped out speed so good for the longhaul...I'll never say how much top end.. Plus I'll never mention using the kilometer test sections on QE2 as speed test sections when no one was anywhere around..Important not to mention that or that it was a long long long time ago.

good for passing on highway as well but you kind of had to time it just right for the to the carb to get kicking in.

um, yeah I was young.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-02-2014 at 11:59 PM.

Still lots of deer in the park, but you won't find them when it's busy...

http://edmonton.ca/city_government/p...al-review.aspx

This is for the April 8th meeting at 1:30 at city hall. Open to the public. There seems to be disagreement on the trails alignment and routing from mountain bikers and trail runners alike.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Terwi...023/story.html

Some issues with the trail alignments that admin had taken off the table before the consultations began. They seem to now be back on the table. Only one Nimby type that presented. Was very different with admin and council this time. Much better questions and feedback. Much more positive. We'll see if it leads to some changes.

I've noticed that work has commenced on this bridge - in Terwillegar park they've cleared a swath of trees where the bridge will eventually lay.

C2E SME

I've noticed that work has commenced on this bridge - in Terwillegar park they've cleared a swath of trees where the bridge will eventually lay.
    Might just be preliminary work; soils testing, surveying etc. The tender has not been completed yet, let alone awarded. The North access issues were only recently concluded with ECC, and bidders have been given extra time to integrate that information in to their tenders.

ya, it was just trees cut to get access to the area. Definitely preliminary

Saw that while fishing on the river, much further east than I had thought.
    www.decl.org

Looks like they have started construction. A lot of the near by (northeast) DH-like trails have been fenced off and access to the area near the future-footbridge completely cut off.

The sad part about this for me is the eventual loss of one of my favorite trails (the "golfcourse" or "terwillegar roller coaster" trail that lead from terwillegar park southwest to the Anthony Henday), as it is being replaced with a leveled gravel MUT.

Yes, the flattening of awesome bike trails makes me sad.

Can't they leave the roller coaster and built a level MUT path higher (or lower) in elevation?

I went to the last city council meeting on this along with the mountain bikers, nature groups, etc. There were some changes that were made after uproars. Example being the trail between Fort Edmonton and Terwilligar now has as an option using the current old dirt road that is there. This had been removed as an option by the city before consultations and city council. It was reinstated and I believe is now being reviewed. I presented on behalf of a trail running group (we had been omitted from consultations by mistakenly thinking we were a mtn bike group).

Our presentation was mostly about the roller coaster as it is an amazing single track trail. Council was only presented with one option and that was to make it a MUT. And the mtn bikers would be given permission to build a new single track parallel with the MUT. Our comment was due to the geological nature of the hillside, that any heavy equipment or removal of trees to make the 3-5 metre width would increase substantially the erosion and give us another trail slumpage like Mackinnon ravine (trail beside river that city tried for years, rebuilding stairs until they finally gave up). My other example was on the north side of Fort Edmonton Bridge, the city has not even able to fix the slump that occurred in June 2013 (still not fixed) and had never been a problem until the trail was widened for accessibility. Funny how the slump is not considered a detriment to accessibility.

I had been asked to formalize our presentation on paper but after a call from a certain person who basicly said "thank you for that, we really value your comments, sorry the roller coaster decision is final", I decided not to write and will instead shake my head when the trail goes through major erosion. Our option was to go up to Hedley Way and Heffernan Drive and put a path on the side of the large roadway or to use some of that roadway with only a small portion through ravines. Would be much more stable, much more cost effective and would keep the existing single track alone. Oh well, can't win them all. I will just have a sad smile when the future MUT starts eroding badly and think to myself "I told you so"

This footbridge is now well under construction. Perhaps time to update the title of thread?

^Can you get some pics at all?

I'll leave that to you....

You sir are closer to this project then i am plus you know the path's better then i would i think.

Not much to take pictures of at this point. Just a bunch of trees cleared and dirt moved.

Will try to take pictures in the spring

Offers to give you a tour of the single track if your into that type of biking. Pm if so

Construction is finally coming along as they have one pillar on the Terwilligar side done as well as both river sides seem close to completion. Looks like a long gap so I am assuming they have to put a pillar on the north part of the river as well. They have also started staking what I assume is the new trail from Fort Ed Bridge to the new bridge. I could have sworn the completion date was to be Nov 2015. Can't see this happening since its taken two years to get to this point.

end of 2016. I can't wait for this bridge. Will use it all the time to connect various biking trails I use.

(yes, it can be done now without the bridge, but that means coming out of the river valley...)

Coffer dam or berm, can't really tell from where I was. Hope this gets done next year...

C2E SME

It's significantly behind schedule. Doubt it's done before next summer.

^ Bent girders? Materials being shipped from Korea?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

ON Sunday they were removing the dirt from the river portion of the road. And they have assembled a large crane at the north site. Looks like the bridge decking could be close to being put in.

Maybe the people doing the groat road and walterdale need to watch this bridge because nothing has been reported wrong or at all for that about this bridge.

C2E SME

It's a year behind schedule, actually. Maybe not quite a year, but I believe it was supposed to be done last fall or this spring originally. It's unlikely it will be done before summer or fall this year. So yup, chalk another one up.

It's a year behind schedule, actually. Maybe not quite a year, but I believe it was supposed to be done last fall or this spring originally. It's unlikely it will be done before summer or fall this year. So yup, chalk another one up.
    I don't remember seeing that it was to be done last fall anywhere. Meh still doing better then the other projects......

C2E SME

I looked on the CoE website and it says completion September 2016. Maybe that's what it was always scheduled, but I don't believe so. The Edmonton Golf and Country Club was told that all shipping through the club's access road was to have been completed last fall or winter, but apparently they are going to continue through this spring and summer.

It shouldn't take over 2 years to build a foot bridge.

I looked on the CoE website and it says completion September 2016. Maybe that's what it was always scheduled, but I don't believe so. The Edmonton Golf and Country Club was told that all shipping through the club's access road was to have been completed last fall or winter, but apparently they are going to continue through this spring and summer.

It shouldn't take over 2 years to build a foot bridge.
    This is COE were talking about here......

The delays must be caused by the booming oil economy. The shortage of skilled workers is so obvious to everyone.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Today lots of workers onsite with long cranes on both sides and much of the bridge decking is on the river portion of the dirt. Looks like the bridge decking will be put in place starting this week.

The multiuse paved path on the 'other side' of the river is all ready to go... Just no bridge yet.

DSC07343 by b/c, on Flickr

Don't 'fall into the river'.

Ok, bad joke.

Nice shots
    www.decl.org

Don't 'fall into the river'.

Ok, bad joke.

Nice shots
    Saw your s2000 yesterday driving around the burbs in the SW (heff. drive or something like that) just before the downpour. Did you know the speed limit in most residential areas is 50km/h???

Reference to where you shot the photos from hombre... A friend's house was lost.

Sorry, probably going 30 or 40, will speed up next time. If implying faster, you are incorrect, just loud.
    www.decl.org

Even if I am tempted to share 105st 100+ decibels with my SW friends.

Fantastic looking bridge though.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Isn't loud bad enough? What makes people think that everyone within 5 blocks has to hear them go past?

Certainly is.

Point being, my car looks and sounds faster than it is.
    www.decl.org

Lol unbelievable

What is being developed on the opposite side.
    www.decl.org

Im going to say nothing as im pretty sure that's where the set of houses fell into the river a few years back. but since its not downtown you wouldn't know anything about that would you ian.......

I grew up near there, rode there a lot, knew one of the owners who lost a house and still know the area very, very well.

It was a pretty obvious joke and reference.

Jesus
    Last edited by IanO; 29-05-2016 at 08:44 PM.
    www.decl.org

Olesikiw Park. A multi use path will connect both footbridges. Theres already single track that follows the river edge over there. Much of the area wont be further developed. Not everything needs to be paved over.

I grew up near there, rode there a lot, knew one of the owners who lost a house and still know the area very, very well.

It was a pretty obvious joke and reference.

Jesus
    As an aside. One of the homes north if the collapsed homes was once featured in Fine Homebuilding Magazine. Fir interior. Big and beautiful home overlooking the river.

Olesikiw Park. A multi use path will connect both footbridges. Theres already single track that follows the river edge over there. Much of the area wont be further developed. Not everything needs to be paved over.
    There's also a desire path that cuts right across the open grass area in oleskiw park and that's where they're going to pave over. Even though is area is definitely one of the more "natural or wild" parts of our river valley (constantly hear the coyote packs around dusk), I'd welcome the paved trail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast