Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Twenty One | 6 and 8 storeys |Under Construction

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

Default One Twenty One | 6 and 8 storeys |Under Construction

This piece of land was sold last year and now there's a new "coming soon" sign on the land.

This is from the site:

Westmount Development

PRISM Group of Companies has acquired 1.48 acres of sought-after real estate located in the heart of Westmount, edging onto Oliver Village in Edmonton, Alberta. The land is currently improved with a 20,000 square foot office building, anchored by REMAX Real Estate. PRISM plans to demolish the building in the Summer of 2013 and construct a 244 unit mid-rise development, consisting of several thousand square feet of retail, and senior housing. The site is located North of 104TH Avenue and 121ST Street NW, within a close proximity to Downtown and just West of a prominent retail development known as Oliver Square.

PROPERTY HIGHLIGHTS

Land: $5.3 Million
    1.48 acres of land
    1 and 2 bedrooms
    6 storey and 8 storey buildings
    2 levels of underground parking
    17,221 square feet of commercial space
    There are currently 4 tenants that generating $14,000/month
    2 buildings with a total of 244 units between both buildings
    273 residential, 40 commercial and 35 visitor parking stalls totaling 348 usable stalls

The first building will stand six storeys tall, and will include 17,000 square feet of commercial retail. The second building will stand eight storeys tall and designed for senior housing. Both buildings will share a two level underground parkade, which will facilitate 273 residential, 40 commercial and 35 visitor parking stalls totaling 348 usable stalls.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

goodness gracious the picture looks terible

and what is that, the Venetian II!?

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Design-wise, somewhat decent. Colour-wise, terrible.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Senior housing, interesting.

It would have been much better to make the 1st storey/glazing a few extra feet, throws off the balance. The rest is very mid pack Edmonton. That area is sure getting dense.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

www.decl.org

Probably using leftover paint from the Venetian.

^seems like it.

Raise the main floor height, change up the colours and it would be fine.
    www.decl.org

Some of their other projects:

http://prismdevelopments.com/

Ft. Mac get this... and we get that? Yes I recognize housing prices... but jesus.

(http://prismdevelopments.prisminvest...de_350x225.jpg)
    www.decl.org

Their other development nearby on 105ave near 116st.

(http://prismdevelopments.prisminvest...on_350x225.jpg)
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Ft. Mac get this... and we get that? Yes I recognize housing prices... but jesus.

(http://prismdevelopments.prisminvest...de_350x225.jpg)
    That just makes me angry.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Ugly. Where exactly is this going? 104ave/121st is the Molson site, isn't it? Or is it just "in the area"?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^just NW of Molson where Remax is.
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Ugly. Where exactly is this going? 104ave/121st is the Molson site, isn't it? Or is it just "in the area"?
    It will be behind with all those wood framed inexpensive condos.

If you really feel like losing your breakfast, flip through the "completed projects".

Last edited by Chmilz; 12-02-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^i recognize the last one, it's in Airdrie, and it is just as ugly in person!

How about the place they're building in Calgary that bears their name: Prism Place? This company is quite Jekyll & Hyde when it comes to the quality and designs of their developments...

Last edited by ScottieA; 12-02-2013 at 09:23 AM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Bleh what a Horrid piece of vomit.

I don't remember them ever approaching the community.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

I think IanO has said it best in this thread. The virtual nausea is a little excessive.

Improvements are always possible, but let this be built, quickly.

C2E Continued Contributor

i like it, not spectacular but not horrid either. color wise, it's more of what we already have.
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

If you really feel like losing your breakfast, flip through the "completed projects".

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    ^i recognize the last one, it's in Airdrie, and it is just as ugly in person!
    ^LOL...i stopped there for gas on my way back from Calgary this past weekend!!
    Last edited by OilTastic/BigCityDude; 12-02-2013 at 10:26 AM.

The stupid thing is is it's in Oliver.. not Westmount.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    A Calgary-based developer that doesn't bother to properly look at an Edmonton neighbourhood map before naming a development after the neighbourhood that it thinks the building will be located in, hmmm....
    Don't feed the trolls!

'i like it, not spectacular but not horrid either. color wise, it's more of what we already have.'

What we have is not terribly well executed in many situations. I am all for colour and playfulness, but pastels blah.
    www.decl.org

Just another suburban Stucco 'N Siding Box builder trying to play in the big leagues. I'll believe that Ft Mac property when it's done.

Examples of low-rise condos with better, modern, and more urban designs.

And one from our neighbour to the south, sigh...

Don't feed the trolls!

If any of those were proposed all of you guys would hate them just as much.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Um, no.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    clap clap clap
    www.decl.org

That area is kind of like a the melting grounds for 3 or 4 neighbourhoods. Of those condos in there, there is some that have inglewood in their name, Westmount, and glenora, and Oliver... kinda weird.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

(http://prismdevelopments.prisminvest...e_350x225.jpg)
    +10000 Ian, like what the he$$,

EDIT: I went to their website and sent them a message asking why the Edmonton Area gets lower quality products and the other centers in Alberta appear to get better executed exterior finishing. Let them know this isn't acceptable
    Last edited by KenL2; 12-02-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

I asked the OCL to look at it too.

First One is Always Free

Whatever happened to the Mayor's moratorium on crap?
    Play nice.

I'd rather C2E than work!

According to the City, it's in Westmount as its on the west side of 121st street.

http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents/ward_06pn1.pdf

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

^ Those boundaries are a bit off but you may be right..

Long story short.. there are a lot of conflicting boundaries in the older areas.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    A Calgary-based developer that doesn't bother to properly look at an Edmonton neighbourhood map before naming a development after the neighbourhood that it thinks the building will be located in, hmmm....
    If Google Maps is right, the boundary between Oliver and Westmount north of 104 avenue is 121 street. 10510 121 Street is on the west side of 121 street, so the new development is in Westmount, if just barely. The name is still somewhat misleading, as most people associate the name Wesmount with Westmount Shopping Centre, and this development is nowhere near there.

I agree the facade and colour choices could use some work. Since this not along a main thoroughfare, and the tenants for the complex are office-based businesses and seniors who are likely more concerned with costs then curb appeal, the developer is likely cutting corners on the building's facade. I think they could do better, even within a budget, but I wouldn't expect them to make any changes that would significantly impact the price of the facade, no matter what our opinion here is

[QUOTE=ScottieA;500991]Examples of low-rise condos with better, modern, and more urban designs.

^yes i know we could have done as good as these....but we seem stuck on a hamster wheel when it comes to designing of a highrise or low rise condo...my opinion still stands, it could have looked a hell of a lot worse!

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

The subject lot is Westmount...100%. It's confusing...especially when buildings in Westmount are called things like "Glenora Gates" and "Glenora Mansion" LOL

I hope they leave "Westmount" out of it and call it "Oliver West" or something.

Yes...I agree the design is sub optimal - you can even call it the Venetian II like some of your guys have said.

BUT:

1) At least it's concrete construction within a sea of deteriorating wood frame low rises which this part of the city is well know for.

2) It's going to be nicer than the current building/lot. It's actually nicer than the majority of buildings in this area and Oliver.

But yeah...they could do SO MUCH better. It's like a lot of developers use number 2 as an excuse for projects like this...
    Last edited by Downtown; 12-02-2013 at 05:05 PM.

C2E Posting Power

Senior housing, interesting.

It would have been much better to make the 1st storey/glazing a few extra feet, throws off the balance. The rest is very mid pack Edmonton. That area is sure getting dense.
    I agree - in regards to the density - I think this will be the end of free parking on 121 Street (North of 104 Avenue). I see it being metered this year or in 2014.

Partially Addicted to C2E

So much for getting rid of crap architecture. The situation is as bad as ever. Do these companies have no shame?

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieBoyinExile View Post
    So much for getting rid of crap architecture. The situation is as bad as ever. Do these companies have no shame?
    Nope. But neither do the people that buy units in these.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    The subject lot is Westmount...100%. It's confusing...especially when buildings in Westmount are called things like "Glenora Gates" and "Glenora Mansion" LOL

I hope they leave "Westmount" out of it and call it "Oliver West" or something.

Yes...I agree the design is sub optimal - you can even call it the Venetian II like some of your guys have said.

BUT:

1) At least it's concrete construction within a sea of deteriorating wood frame low rises which this part of the city is well know for.

2) It's going to be nicer than the current building/lot. It's actually nicer than the majority of buildings in this area and Oliver.

But yeah...they could do SO MUCH better. It's like a lot of developers use number 2 as an excuse for projects like this...
    I am only part of the Oliver community league... but hey what do I know...

I am 90% certain this area is actually part of Oliver.. I can show you maps that say groat estates is part of Oliver and they are wrong...

Regardless it's crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    The area south of 107 ave between 124st and groat road has been referred to as Groat Estates more than a few times. South of Westmount, though I believe it is still referred to as Westmount in many respects.

C2E Posting Power

I own an investment condo at 12110 - 106 Avenue and my taxes from the city state Westmount. Maybe south of 106 Avenue is Oliver? Crazy area...I'd love to see that map some time.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Downtown; 13-02-2013 at 10:20 AM.

I thought the north of 104ave west of 121 was westmount?
    www.decl.org

Officially it's Westmount.

You can also look up the boundaries at the City of Edmonton Neighbourhood Map Page. Just type Wesmount in the search box,and it will highlight show the boundary. In zoomed out mode, it will even show you which neighbourhoods border it.

To the north of 111 avenue, it is bordered by Inglewood.

Westmount Shopping Centre is actually in the Woodcroft neighbourhood, kitty corner to the northwest of the Westmount neighbourhood.

The neighbourhoods of Glenora and North Glenora abut Westmount on the west, with the boundary being Groat Road.

South of Stony Plain Road/104 Avenue, the eastern boundary between Wesmount and Oliver is 124 Street. To the north of Stony Plain Road/104 avenue, until 106 avenue, the border shifts further east to 121 street. North of 106 avenue, Westmount borders Queen Mary Park.

These are the official boundaries. What peoples perceptions are, and what the original community boundaries were, are another matter entirely. I personally always considered the area south of 107 avenue and west of 124 street as Glenora, and the area west of 124 street and north of 107 avenue to be Wesmount, including Wesmount Shopping Centre. I would have thought the area east of 124 street and south of 107 avenue to have been Oliver as well, until this thread appeared.

Does anyone remember the older boundaries of Glenora, Oliver, and Westmount? Were they actually little towns at one point, like Beverly, and swallowed by Edmonton, or were they always considered neighbourhoods of Edmonton?

It could be yabba dabba do, or bedrock city. This project is second rate and the real energy should be to hold these development companies to the fire to come up with better. Prism obviously can and have in other locations. I think we need to put voice to these developers and let them know this is below average.

For me my investment dollars, which is what this is being marketed as, will not be going to this development as it sits, very simple.

As IanO said the building itself is decent, but it is beyond me why they gave it the Venetian Treatment.

I reiterate frustrating to no end...

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Does anyone remember the older boundaries of Glenora, Oliver, and Westmount? Were they actually little towns at one point, like Beverly, and swallowed by Edmonton, or were they always considered neighbourhoods of Edmonton?
    Glenora, Oliver and Westmount were neighbourhoods that were built as part of Edmonton's growth from 1900-1910. Highlands was another one that was built in this timeframe.

The towns/villages/cities that have been incorporated into Edmonton are as follows: the City of Strathcona, the Village of West Edmonton (now Calder), the Town of Beverly, and the Town of Jasper Place.
    Last edited by ScottieA; 13-02-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I thought the north of 104ave west of 121 was westmount?
    They move a chunk a few years ago... I am not sure what has been agreed with Westmount yet.. but like I said there are many conflicting boundries.. or there were.

DECL and OCL have got a lot of them cleared up.

Anyway you splice it this little pocket west of the Molson lands has not been well severved by anyone... and has been ignored.

EDP, you have been given two different, unambiguous links to city-published maps that clearly show this area is at the edge of Westmount.

It's obvious you don't want it to be. But it is. That's all.

I have an idea, why dont the people who have an interest in seeing where community boundaries are start up a seperate thread about that to discuss various community boundaries and any news on that front. To me anyway its really a small sidebar to this development, they can call the builidng whatever they like, whether it matches the neighbourhood name or not, heck call it The Londonderry , lets talk about the actual development

Westmount Development by fumidity, on Flickr

I'm sure everyone's excited to see this one get underway. The old ReMax building bit the dust this week, so there seems to be some movement here.

I loved that thing and worry much here.
    www.decl.org

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

If the only change to the exterior were for the red, yellow and orange parts to be replaced with a high quality light brick this development would be fantastic

That Remax building was hideous, but I'm still concerned with what's going here. Are there any updated design details or can we assume it's going to be another generic heap in the area?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I don't mind the design, I agree it could be better, but I don't know what the feasibility would be from a cost perspective to do that, I honestly have no idea.

What I do know, though, is that C2E often forgets about the economics when voicing their opinions. There's a reason that developers build cheap product, it's because people buy cheap product. I think it's slowly changing, but until it does it doesn't make sense to build anything else. I would like to think that if I were a developer I'd build architecturally pleasing buildings but at the end of the day it would always come down to the profit.

There is a very significant difference between 'cheap' and 'lower cost' or 'good value'.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

That Remax building was hideous, but I'm still concerned with what's going here. Are there any updated design details or can we assume it's going to be another generic heap in the area?
    I don't know what their plans are for it, but it's owned by Prism Developments, the same company behind the Horizon (student residence on 111 street and 105 avenue), which is a decent looking building with main floor retail/commercial.

I have heard that the latest design above has been tweaked... whatever that means.
    www.decl.org

There is a very significant difference between 'cheap' and 'lower cost' or 'good value'.
    Replace 'cheap' with 'low cost' in what I said, it makes no difference. Unfortunately there's a reason architects don't generally work as developers. When other buildings are shown that "could be so much better" they almost always look way more expensive than what is being proposed in Edmonton. I agree they look way nicer, but I would contend that most of them are not 'lower cost'.

Good design does not have to cost more, simple as that. This project could be considerably improved with relatively minimal effort IMO.
    www.decl.org

I don't think it is "simple as that" personally, but I still have a lot to learn.

It would be interesting to see comparisons and their relative costs/potential for problems.

Cladding choices, colours and basic design principles.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

So by the looks of the render, there is zero interaction with the street???
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

There appears to be a lot of glazing, but not sure the use or accesses.
    www.decl.org

A while back we were presented with a proposal for a small apartment complex of the typical contemporary vinyl-clad variety that are ubiquitous around town. We convinced the developer to change the roofline a little and the finishing materials to brick & hardie, and it turned out substantially nicer than what was proposed, colour choices notwithstanding.

It did add a fairly substantial cost to the build but everyone, including the developer realized that it was the right thing to do

This Westmount one does not look great. But I hope, Like Edgewater, they turn out better once built
    Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

The website (http://westmountdev.com/) says:"10,432 square feet of commercial space" will be incorporated. This is good news. But from the renderings it looks like it will all be below grade? It would be nice to have some street level cafes or retail.
    .# # # #
    # # # #.

So it looks nothing like the 'venetian' we saw above and now somehow looks worse?

Brutal
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

what the hell is that red thing??? frig

White stucco, brown brick, and a massive red "T"???

(http://westmountdev.com/wp-content/u...Westmount1.jpg)

That genuinely hurts my eyes to look at for some reason. I'm not being dramatic, it is actually physically hard for me to look at.
    Don't feed the trolls!

It's so pretty.
    www.decl.org

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I've hidden the money under a BIG TEE.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

^^
    That was showing the "good" side:

If they could alter the colour of the T-shaped object in the middle to something more complementary to the other colours, this doesn't look too bad. Even just a galvanized, unpainted metal finish on the object would be better then the current colour. Remember, the 240GLT said they convinced them to use brick and hardie as the cladding materials, so the brown colour in the render is brick; the brick should contrast nicely with the white sections. I like in particular how the brick sections along the roof have a dark grey roof line sections above them to contrast the white lining of the white sections; it breaks up the roof line nicely.

Here's a pee-poor Paint modification to show what a different colour on the T would look like. I picked a grey similar to the brick roofline edgings.

^^ You're right, the courtyard side is awful.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    ^^ You're right, the courtyard side is awful.
    The developer choose to put the exterior improvement money towards the streetside building exposure, no different then a business leaving their rear side unadorned or a homeowner only putting stonework on the front of the house and placing siding on the sides and back. I've got no problem with them putting most of their budget to the street interaction of the building

what a bunch of garbage.

Hey infill league peeps.. get on this abortion will ya?!

Hi Fort Mac, please take your condo back.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Slightly improved if still the current design

http://westmountdev.com/wp-content/u...gn-Package.pdf
    www.decl.org

Very meh, much better than the Venetian GMH garbage that was originally approved.

^^
    I like it. The darker read on the T looks better, and I appreciate the interesting multiple colours of the building siding. Definitely not boring, and not overwhelming like the Venetian

highlander

It's ok, but the street level will make it or break it. If the brown is masonry, it might work, but even then a building of this bulk really does need a distinct Main floor, or intends up being just a big wall. And it doesn't look like there's much landscaping here, so it's doubly critical.

well I want to shoot myself a bit less.....

Still makes me want to do this....

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 26-11-2013 at 10:20 AM.

I'm not a religious man... but christ...

so which design are they using? because the greater of two evils is what is on their website

Both suck, but the suck is stronger in the earlier post. Both should be ridiculed.

Administrator *

Not much action...

^Yeah. They are actually rezoning the site as the existing DC2 doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by OilTastic/BigCityDude View Post
    i like it, not spectacular but not horrid either. color wise, it's more of what we already have.
    Thats what I think, this is a seniors home, and Edmonton seniors are very used to and comfortable with such designs, it's not like they can see anything much better anyway. Bit of a shame for the neighbourhood, but I'm sure the developer will do well eventually if they can finish it, growing market.

Some materials and workers are now on site -- I'm guessing for foundation work?

^That's not the current design. Regency changed it up after buying the site.

^Is it an improvement??

Administrator *

Here's the current design:

Westmount Development by chrisvazquez, on Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast