Thread: Downtown families--specifically within Icon buildings

Default Downtown families--specifically within Icon buildings

Hello all,

I've lurked here for some time. I currently reside in the Garneau community and while the young parent in me wants to love the college scene, I also want to be in a neighborhood surrounded by more children and families for my wife, son & myself to mingle with. I was visiting the downtown area--specifically the icon towers and couldn't help but notice a complete lack of children in the area. Are the Icon Towers adult only? Furthermore, is the downtown area simply not the best place in the city to raise a child/family? We've done the suburban thing and, being from a much warmer climate, my wife is terrified of being dependant on vehicular travel during the winter.

Thanks in advance.

Ecksie

Addicted to C2E

Depends on what you mean by 'downtown'.
    The 'core' might not have many families with children, but if you move a few blocks to the west (Oliver), north (Queen Mary Park, my 'hood), north-west (Westmount) or south (Grandin- the high-rises around the Grandin LRT station have quite a few families- personally know some), so, these might be a better fit!
    Oliver and Grandin are especially nice neighbourhoods with parks, schools, transit and supermarkets.
    The areas to the East/ North-east of the downtown core are more mixed with some decent and some rougher areas, so, exercise caution and judgement before buying a place.

Alternatively, you could simply move 10-20 blocks east from your current place and find yourself in the family-friendly communities of Bonnie Doon, Ritchie or King Edward Park.

Hope this helps.......... glad to see more families with kids choosing the central city.

C2E Long Term Contributor

There are some families who live in icon, I know our building (the omega) has had more than. Few through the years. As posted above, there are some great central and urban neighborhoods to choose from.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Hi

I live in the ICON buildings, with my son who is almost 8, and there is another family on my floor as well I've seen other folks with young ones in the building as well.

Hope that helps

EDIT 12-10-01 Just an FYI that while leaving the Icon this AM I noticed that a School bus stop has be added on 102 Ave and saw a few kids walking over with their parents to the bus. Not sure which school system it was was driving.

And in response to your question about the Icon's being Adult only, there are no restrictions like that in the building, so the more families the better! oh don't know if you knew this but there is a Y just a block over for activities and a 10 minute walk to a great playground on 106 Street and 109 ave its huge.

Ken
    Last edited by KenL2; 01-10-2012 at 08:42 AM.
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Ecksie View Post
    ... is the downtown area simply not the best place in the city to raise a child/family? We've done the suburban thing and, being from a much warmer climate, my wife is terrified of being dependant on vehicular travel during the winter.
    It's a tough call and depends on the parents. I know one young couple with a pair of pre-schoolers determined to make it DT. They've chosen Victoria Schools for the kids (when the time comes).

With all the programming in Churchill Square - DT can be a great place to keep your children stimulated and entertained.

There's a great kid's library at the Milner and you're always (well almost always) close to the river valley.

Your kids might grow-up and never bother to get a driver's license (you don't really need one DT); be exposed to the arts; and live and breathe the multi-cultural, multi-racial society that is Edmonton.

On the other hand, DT isn't like Garneau or Strathcona where there's one (as we used to call it when we were kids) "big" street. Here, they're all big streets. I think DECL and others have also looked into the lack of playgrounds and skating rinks (traditional community league stuff).

(whoops, didn't notice Ken's reference to the playground in Queen Mary Park)

So, like anything, there's good and bad.
    ... gobsmacked

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Sidebar

This is supposed to be a Ha Ha.
    Please don't take it for anything more .
    Some friends established their working life and subsequently their family in Manhattan. While on their first trip to the tropics had this question asked by their then 5 year old "Mum, Dad is it OK if I go for a walk down the sidewalk?
    Innocent enough until you realize he was pointing to and referring to the sandy beach as the sidewalk
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    This is supposed to be a Ha Ha.
    Please don't take it for anything more .
    Some friends established their working life and subsequently their family in Manhattan. While on their first trip to the tropics had this question asked by their then 5 year old "Mum, Dad is it OK if I go for a walk down the sidewalk?
    Innocent enough until you realize he was pointing to and referring to the sandy beach as the sidewalk

That is too funny,

In my case I have a son and while he lives with me he gets the urban Edmonton and when he's with his Mom he gets Suburban Edmonton, and every chance either of us gets we take him out to the country, and not just to a Wabumun or Alberta Beach but right out to the bush for camping and hanging with family that have grown up hunting and trapping and farming. Kind of a multi-dimensional approach, give him a flavour of all aspects of life and because we live in a metropolitan city on the edge of civilization he gets this great education outside of school. Not too many kids that have rode the elevator 20 some odd floors down to go walk in the river valley, then get in a car and in 2 hours be so far in the bush you have to quad in through swamps and rivers to a trapping cabin in the bush with zero modern services.

I love this place as it affords all of that.

And yes I should get in touch with IanO about helping with DECL and getting more family stuff downtown!

Ken

Does anyone remember that a daycare was supposed to open in the ICON... and the fuss that was made over it by the owners?!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

The Downtown Edmonton Community League is committed to getting the park on 105 St/102 Ave built, giving a family-friendly amenity right in the neighbourhood. This is one of our top priorities and hope to include some kind of activities for kids there.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Does anyone remember that a daycare was supposed to open in the ICON... and the fuss that was made over it by the owners?!

No, enlighten us ohh exalted one, with your knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    The Downtown Edmonton Community League is committed to getting the park on 105 St/102 Ave built, giving a family-friendly amenity right in the neighbourhood. This is one of our top priorities and hope to include some kind of activities for kids there.

OK so how do I get in on this? what do I need to do?

Let me Know

Ken

C2E Long Term Contributor

I think the issue was re: common balcony or patio space being reserved for the daycare IIRC.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ and the noise complaints of laughing kids...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by KenL2 View Post

No, enlighten us ohh exalted one, with your knowledge!
    I was asking a question Mr Footinmouth... I don't remember the details.. that's why I was asking!

Quote Originally Posted by KenL2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post

OK so how do I get in on this? what do I need to do?

Let me Know

Ken
    Scott Property Park Committee holds meetings every few months. If you'd like to volunteer, shoot us an email at [email protected] and we'll let you know when the next one is!
    www.decl.org