Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117 LastLast
Results 11,501 to 11,600 of 11602

Thread: Greater Downtown Retail | Discussion

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Rosewood Foods
    @rosewood_foods
    Dinette coming soon to Rice Howard Way!
    FYI this is coming soon in the former Made in Canada location on 100 St, next to Artworks.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Claire Estates:

Reference ID: Job No 326845771-002
    Description: To Convert a laundry room and amenity room in an existing Apartment House to Childcare Services for 128 children(expansion of existing Childcare Services)
    Plan NB Blk 3 Lots 90-93
    Applicant: HUMAN DIMENSIONS LICENSED INTERIOR DESIGN SERVICES
    Create Date: 7/31/2019 3:44:32 PM
    Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
    www.decl.org

Bottega 104 is closed until further notice due to maintenance.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^considering their Whyte Ave location closed pretty soon after opening I expect it’s unlikely to reopen.

C2E SME

The Whyte Ave location was caught up in some sort of ownership struggle or reorg, kind of leftover from the Packrat days. Not sure that applies to the one downtown.

The first thing they did when they bought Packrat is fire all the long time staff. That was perplexing and a bad business decision, in my opinion. It seems they have made a few other bad decisions along the way, including picking a name that is very similar to an existing restaurant just around the corner (Bodega). Maybe it's all catching up to them now. Wonder how Black Pearl is doing...that is the same ownership group too, no?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

C2E SME

Seems like in the bar/restaurant industry that oftentimes each location can have different owners/partners, even if the main ones are the same. So, hard to know if Black Pearl is the exact same people. I haven't been there in awhile, but it seems busy when I walk by. It's a small space, so that helps.

Does anyone know what's going on with the building just north of 104 Ave. on 122 St. (behind the Shell gas station)? Long ( 15+ years) ago it used to be a gym of some sort, and then it sat empty for years, and then there were some interior renovations like subdivision into 2 floors and rooms and exterior stone facing and then it sat for more years and recently it's being reno-ed again over the last couple months with the facing stonework removed and more steel framing. There's a leasing sign on the roof for a company that I can't recall at the moment but I think it starts with "O".
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Does anyone know what's going on with the building just north of 104 Ave. on 122 St. (behind the Shell gas station)? Long ( 15+ years) ago it used to be a gym of some sort, and then it sat empty for years, and then there were some interior renovations like subdivision into 2 floors and rooms and exterior stone facing and then it sat for more years and recently it's being reno-ed again over the last couple months with the facing stonework removed and more steel framing. There's a leasing sign on the roof for a company that I can't recall at the moment but I think it starts with "O".
    The former Sports Connection. I used to play racquetball there.

Did some preliminary design to convert to residential maybe 15 years ago. Haven't heard anything since.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Bottega 104 is closed until further notice due to maintenance.
    I walked by today. The sign doesn't say closed until further notice, it says closed until August 16. Hopefully that's true.

I believe you're talking about the one across from the glenora gates condo building? That will be the new office of Averton Homes. They will occupy the second floor and open up the main to more business. I think Chandos is on it.

^That sign must be new.
    www.decl.org

For lease signs up at Silk and Entendre. Entendre had its stop order upheld, not sure if the decision of their nightclub permit is out. Also, Building was sold to Diamond Parking in February

August 14, 2019
    101, 10255 - 97 STREET NW
    Plan 1008CL Blk 7 Lots 28-29

To change the Use from a Professional, Financial, Office Support Service to a Restaurant, and to construct interior alterations. - Rogues Organics

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    August 14, 2019
    101, 10255 - 97 STREET NW
    Plan 1008CL Blk 7 Lots 28-29

To change the Use from a Professional, Financial, Office Support Service to a Restaurant, and to construct interior alterations. - Rogues Organics
    Sweet. This reno'd building has only been empty for about 4 years now

Perhaps the new farmers market is already having a bit of a domino effect in this area.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

I don't think so since the farmer's market moved back to 104 street after one weekend.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Red Robin is closing. The last day is Sunday according to my server yesterday. Apparently the owners of the site want to redevelop the property as condos. RR has been there for over 30 years, it will be missed!

Geez, they renovated the place not very long ago...

C2E Continued Contributor

Just the RR? Or the entire Long street mall?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Just RR as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    First Capital own that entire stretch from 112 Street to 116 Street. They plan on redeveloping the Red Robin site first. I believe they are looking developing at a mixed use residential building on that site.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

To be developed at some future date. In the meantime tear it down and leave empty spot, gravel lot, hole in the ground or mini swamp, Why not just leave the RR to operate for the next ever how many years, until the time they would actually be starting construction of said project.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 17-08-2019 at 02:40 PM.

I would love to see RR reopen somewhere. Any chance of it reopening or have we lost this one?

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I would love to see RR reopen somewhere. Any chance of it reopening or have we lost this one?
    The irony is that it is somewhat family friendly and as downtown residential expands and new kid targeted parks get created, it shuts down. Are there actually fewer kids downtown?

Anyone have comparative demographics available? Say 2000 vs 2015?

Found this:
    It’s nearly 2 decade old data* they show, but “Downtown” is here:

https://www.edmonton.ca/business_eco.../AgeHholds.pdf
    As of 2001 Downtown had:
    0-4 yr olds - 140
    5-9 yr olds - 15
    10-14 yr olds - 20

* showing data from 2000, 2001 is interesting. It misses an entire boom and bust and a few changes in population, income, etc.

P.S. these are all PDFs so everyone should grab this data. Most assuredly the mental giants looking after it will eventually replace it and as is typical, the useful old data will be discarded so little value can then be gleaned from the new data. Computer memory being off-the-charts expense and all that.
    https://www.edmonton.ca/business_eco...-profiles.aspx
    Last edited by KC; 18-08-2019 at 06:07 AM.

Census Profile, 2016 Census - Edmonton Centre [Federal electoral district], Alberta and Alberta [Province]

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...TABID=1&type=0

Better yet are these:

Oliver: http://ace.edmonton.ca/projects/visu...hood-profiles/

Click on the drop menu near the header for Downtown and Queen Mary.

Downtown Age and Count:
    0-4, 116
    5-9, 62
    10-14, 38
    15-19, 138
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 18-08-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Honestly? I forgot Red Robin was even there. Unless they're making a Keg-like flight to the suburbs, there's a chance they'll be back in the downtown core. For all I know, maybe they'll be back in the podium of the redevelopment.

It’s not closing cause of lack of patrons... so fingers crossed it will be back sometime soon. Aren’t there still some empty pads in Brewery District that would be ideal for a RR?
    Last edited by etownboarder; 18-08-2019 at 01:31 PM.

It’s not closing cause of lack of patrons... so fingers crossed it will be back sometime soon. Aren’t there still some empty pads in Brewery District that would be ideal for a RR?
    Which side of 104 would you rather be? I would rather the Southside for what should be obvious reasons. And who wants to cross 104 on foot if you don’t need or have to.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Which side of 104 would you rather be? I would rather the Southside for what should be obvious reasons. And who wants to cross 104 on foot if you don’t need or have to.
    Sure. I Just think it’s more likely this would end up in Oliver Square or Brewery District over the base of a high rise. This isn’t the Cactus Club, it’s RR.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    I don't think so since the farmer's market moved back to 104 street after one weekend.
    But it will return this winter and then continue in this location going forward.

If the owner doesn't find a tenant in the meantime. Unless they're planning on holding space empty for the market or if the market is paying for space that they're not using.

The market moved back to 104 street because someone else was planning on moving in. The current market basically did a dick move to block any competition.

The City is leasing the building from Dub & then giving it for $1/year to the downtown market. Works out to around $10M in subsidization over the term of the deal.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

So the city is subsidizing a building to sit empty over the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Sure. I Just think it’s more likely this would end up in Oliver Square or Brewery District over the base of a high rise. This isn’t the Cactus Club, it’s RR.
    I tend to agree with your logic. But RR may have cut a deal, or who ever owned the pad that RR sits on. But one of the good things about the existing site is parking. Oliver Square has parking but is so busy and driving around to find a stall is a real turn off. RR definitely attracts families ... and that means cars. Maybe they are gone for good - or possibly going into a space we don't yet know about. Heck I think they would do well right near Rogers Place. Would they lease on Fox? I see the only RR locations in Alberta are in Edmonton. And many locations in BC.

So the city is subsidizing a building to sit empty over the summer?
    Pretty much.

Gene Dub owns the GWG building through Five Oaks Inc., his real estate development and property management company. The Five Oaks website states that the property “consists of a 60,000 square foot 4-storey building which served as a department store that is being converted into a farmer’s [sic] market.”Dub said on March 11 that he was not ready to comment on the redevelopment, but the City has since confirmed that it will be leasing the building from Five Oaks, and will in turn lease the building to the City Market.
    "We can confirm that after searching for nearly 10 years, we've found a suitable new, permanent year-round location," said Sarb Dhaliwal, chair of the Edmonton Downtown Farmers' Market Association (EDFMA) which organizes the City Market Downtown, in a statement emailed on March 13.
    https://www.taprootedmonton.ca/stori...-104th-street/
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^ That whole situation is just a giant C.F. We don't go to the downtown market anymore because of the shadiness of that whole situation and the entitlement of certain stakeholders.

New market down off 34th street is pretty neat. We went there on Saturday, it was packed, all the good vendors are there, easy parking, a great new venue

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Do you mean Bountiful Farmers Market on 97st north of 34ave? Went there myself on Sat. We ended up buying quite a lot.

C2E Continued Contributor

And what street?

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    ^ That whole situation is just a giant C.F. We don't go to the downtown market anymore because of the shadiness of that whole situation and the entitlement of certain stakeholders.
    Yep, haven't attended City Market at all this year, down from 2-3 times a month every year prior. The new location is a bit too far to walk easily, plus the situation/circumstances around the move.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Im for it as long as dub uses most of the 10 mil to finish the camsell.....

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Nice site. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Yep, haven't attended City Market at all this year, down from 2-3 times a month every year prior. The new location is a bit too far to walk easily, plus the situation/circumstances around the move.
    What do you mean? DO you consider 97 st to be the new location? Or 104 st, which is the new, old location?

The Sunday/year round location adds 14 blocks to the walk, or about 50%.

The circumstances & how the move was handled has soured me on anything EDFMA-related.

C2E Posting Power

Call me old fashion, but my market decisions are usually based on quality products and ease of commute. Life is too short to "punish" the great local vendors based on the EDFMA politics that I have no control over.

I still get my local produce, I just get it from other options which are easier to deal with/more convenient & don't involve having to turn a blind eye to an organization I'd rather not support.

Quote Originally Posted by AUsenik View Post
    Call me old fashion, but my market decisions are usually based on quality products and ease of commute. Life is too short to "punish" the great local vendors based on the EDFMA politics that I have no control over.
    Most vendors sell at multiple markets. So no local producers are being punished.

The new market on the south side is great for access, so much better than Strathcona or downtown.

How’s the market doing for turnouts in the new location? I kinda felt the way you guys do and thought it was a mistake to move it off 104th.

The market was only in the new location for one weekend. As soon as they heard someone else was planning on setting up on 104 st, they skedaddled right back. It's still on 104 st.

The market was only in the new location for one weekend. As soon as they heard someone else was planning on setting up on 104 st, they skedaddled right back. It's still on 104 st.
    They still do the market at the new location on Sundays.

Hadn't heard that. Now, if they can just make the move and let someone else play downtown as well. It hardly seems fair that they're being subsidized on rent by the city while at the same time preventing other groups from using 104 street. One or the other guys.

I believe Bottega is re-open. They had a mechanical problem (leak) that required opening up the ceiling.
    www.decl.org

^ yes they are. They were open on Saturday during the market

Posted on the entrance of Three Bananas Cafe at Churchill Square

The owner is on holidays.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I went into Seven80 at Londonderry Mall, having seen their booth at the Open Streets festival yesterday. I was attracted by their selection of socks, ginches and shirts. I encouraged these young cats to open a permanent location in downtown.

It closed because First Capital wants to redevelop the site. They didn't renew the lease.

Bingo.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    It closed because First Capital wants to redevelop the site. They didn't renew the lease.
    Well let's hope that work to build moves forward in a timely manner. It will be nice to see higher density here. I wonder where Red Robins is going to relocate?

C2E Posting Power

The old Mac's store?

Well that's kinda cool.
    www.decl.org

That's pretty swanky. I dig it.

C2E SME

Hmmmm, that looks interesting. Something different which is nice. I hope it does well.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Just had a tour of that super slim 2 storey on Jasper next to Gyu-Kaku that fronts onto Beaver Hills House Park. Amazing job inside.

Main - Mexican restaurant
    Second -cafe/office
    Basement - Pablo - speakeasy
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Is it close to ready? I had heard that Pablo wanted to open September-ish, which sounded pipe dreamy to me, but...
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

A month or so.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Just had a tour of that super slim 2 storey on Jasper next to Gyu-Kaku that fronts onto Beaver Hills House Park. Amazing job inside.

Main - Mexican restaurant
    Second -cafe/office
    Basement - Pablo - speakeasy
    No sign of North 53 though, unless they have rebadged themselves as this Pablo place.

A North 53 resurrection is not in the cards -- at least not in this spot.

Tyler from North/Baijiu/DOSC will be running the drink program at the Mexican place, and James Grant will be running Pablo, so there will be some serious f#cking talent in that little building, at least.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

^Confirmed by someone I know who used to work there....

Honestly, I'm surprised that a higher-end eatery in a slum actually lasted as long as it did.

In that slum? Lots of building improvements currently going on and many done over last 5 years. Far from a slum.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

larry operated a high quality restaurant with a good reputation at the same location for almost a quarter of a century.

i don't know the circumstances behind the closing or if he was trying to avoid that up until the last moment before making the announcement.

in any case, he was a pioneer in jasper east village/the quarters and would have served thousands of memorable meals from what was once the w.w.arcade hardware store which inspired the restaurant's name and logos.

we - and many others - will have good memories of the hardware grill and wish larry well in whatever is next for him.
    Last edited by kcantor; 06-09-2019 at 09:32 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    larry operated a high quality restaurant with a good reputation at the same location for almost a quarter of a century.

i don't know the circumstances behind the closing or if he was trying to avoid that up until the last moment before making the announcement.

in any case, he was a pioneer in jasper east village/the quarters and would have served thousands of memorable meals from what was once the w.w.arcade hardware store which inspired the restaurant's name and logos.

we - and many others - will have good memories of the hardware grill and wish larry well in whatever is next for him.
    Nice post

Sad to see Hardware Grill go. Really great tenant for that location. Bring back WW Arcade!
    www.decl.org

Dalla Tavola Zenari is now ready to be constructed at the Enbridge Building
    https://www.dalla.ca/

Expect a very large patio and a late winter opening.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1171186608462155776
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

^So pumped for that. What a great use.

C2E SME

To me, the one key thing is that this space will finally be activated, bringing hopefully more people there. The key to getting more business as I think a few will agree is to get more people downtown which in turn will attract more businesses which will then attract more people, which... well we all get the picture.

If those people don't want to pay for parking for something they can get elsewhere, why would they go downtown?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

If those people don't want to pay for parking for something they can get elsewhere, why would they go downtown?
    given that 10% of all edmontonians that work work downtown, they're already there whether they parked already or used transit.

maybe they want something convenient they don't have to go elsewhere for? and that doesn't include those coming downtown for a hockey game or the theatre or the ram or staying in one of our hotels who might also visit dalla and it doesn't include those who might on occasion come just for dalla.

"Something convenient" & "Downtown Edmonton" have been mutually exclusive for years now.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

"Something convenient" & "Downtown Edmonton" have been mutually exclusive for years now.
    really? for some of us - even if clearly not for you for whatever reasons - it's becoming more and more the opposite for a lot of things.

not for everything and not all of the time but more and more often for more things.

I worked Downtown for well over a decade before new positions took me around the city for 3 years & now back Downtown again (temporarily).

Downtown 2019 is less convenient to drive around, walk around, shop around than before. And thanks to the backsliding in public safety (perceived & actual), it's a lot less convenient to just exist in. My commute by bus or foot is 12-25% longer than it used to be & the transit service getting to/from Downtown in general has also declined. The bike lanes are nice & an increase in convenience, I will concede. They even make my walking commute more pleasant, but that's in Oliver moreso than Downtown.

The only member of my team not ecstatic for our imminent move out of Downtown is the young guy who lives on 104 St. The rest (>10 people) of my team are glad we'll soon have shorter commutes & less stress being away from the Downtown core. I'm looking forward to being able to run errands & pick up more than a couple days groceries at a time on my way home again. Many of the women on my team are looking forward to the increased safety & security getting to/from their cars. Almost everyone is excited for free parking, as having a vehicle makes aspects of the job like site visits far less of a hassle to deal with & not really possible on transit.

Downtown will never be the easiest option for anything fungible/available elsewhere. And the unique stuff isn't enough juice for the squeeze required, at least not on a regular, reoccurring basis. Maybe after the construction dies down & it's not a boondoggle to walk & drive around that'll change, but there's always going to be construction if the boosters are to be believed.

I worked Downtown for well over a decade before new positions took me around the city for 3 years & now back Downtown again (temporarily).

Downtown 2019 is less convenient to drive around, walk around, shop around than before. And thanks to the backsliding in public safety (perceived & actual), it's a lot less convenient to just exist in. My commute by bus or foot is 12-25% longer than it used to be & the transit service getting to/from Downtown in general has also declined. The bike lanes are nice & an increase in convenience, I will concede. They even make my walking commute more pleasant, but that's in Oliver moreso than Downtown.

The only member of my team not ecstatic for our imminent move out of Downtown is the young guy who lives on 104 St. The rest (>10 people) of my team are glad we'll soon have shorter commutes & less stress being away from the Downtown core. I'm looking forward to being able to run errands & pick up more than a couple days groceries at a time on my way home again. Many of the women on my team are looking forward to the increased safety & security getting to/from their cars. Almost everyone is excited for free parking, as having a vehicle makes aspects of the job like site visits far less of a hassle to deal with & not really possible on transit.

Downtown will never be the easiest option for anything fungible/available elsewhere. And the unique stuff isn't enough juice for the squeeze required, at least not on a regular, reoccurring basis. Maybe after the construction dies down & it's not a boondoggle to walk & drive around that'll change, but there's always going to be construction if the boosters are to be believed.
    A lot of what you say is true. The bike lanes have reduced parking and increased congestion noticeably. I don't say it as an anti bike lane thing - they do have their pluses too, but as a fact. Some if it is simple things like when one car can't turn right on red and because there is only one lane it backs up traffic half a block to a block.

Then there is the construction. Fortunately I am in an area downtown that is not a big issue this year, but around City Centre is like a war zone. Yes, it will probably be much better after the LRT is done, but that is dragging on and behind schedule, so I am thinking another year at least.

Then there is all the ridiculousness about event parking in the evening and weekends. It used to be easy to go downtown and park in the then, but now you have to figure out what is going on at Rogers first, so another hassle.

Of course all the sketchy people that hang out downtown in the evening are another issue. It does seem to be getting worse and I can understand why some people do not feel safe in the evening. Strangely, seldom see foot patrol police downtown, so odd.

Its the cumulative effective of all this and more, some things well intended, some unintentional and our city council doesn't seem to be the most responsive, so all these problems just seem to fester and become worse and worse.

^Definitely one of the frustrations about the state of the downtown, it feels like three steps forward then one and a half steps back. Even in McCauley it feels as though there's been some backsliding of late despite the progress over the past decade.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

given that 10% of all edmontonians that work work downtown, they're already there whether they parked already or used transit.

maybe they want something convenient they don't have to go elsewhere for? and that doesn't include those coming downtown for a hockey game or the theatre or the ram or staying in one of our hotels who might also visit dalla and it doesn't include those who might on occasion come just for dalla.
    I guess that explains why many downtown retailers have closed up shop or moved in the past few years. And why City Centre is the only major mall that closes up in the evening. Or why downtown's residential population has declined over the past decade.

I guess that explains why many downtown retailers have closed up shop or moved in the past few years. And why City Centre is the only major mall that closes up in the evening. Or why downtown's residential population has declined over the past decade.
    Didn’t they once have a grocery store, or two, on Jasper Ave.

Use it or lose it.

I think part of the problem is that a large proportion of the population is a transient population. They live downtown until they get married and/or want to buy a house. So many move downtown for a few years and then move out. Moreover while they are living downtown they aren’t supporting downtown but instead they are spending much of their disposable income by leaving downtown and spending it elsewhere.

They scrimp and save downtown then blow wads of money on cars, trip to foreign “destinations” on hotels, flights, shows, beeches, booze and dining.

Every year there’s a new crop of young people turning over, some moving out for a new life and new graduates moving in. Also a few empty nesters moving back downtown.
    Last edited by KC; 12-09-2019 at 05:09 AM.

There was a grocery in the basement of Edmonton Centre when Woodwards was there. There was a Safeway just east of 95 street on Jasper. More recently, there was the Sobey's on Jasper and the earth's General store on 104 street.

C2E SME

Well I think to a certain degree it is mindset that is also a problem. I found that if your in a really big city it is only natural that the best option when working in the downtown is to commute via transit. Edmonton also has been spoiled for way too long of having free parking for as long as we have had in the downtown, now that most of that has transformed Edmontonians are finding it difficult to get used to. In a car/truck centric population it is definitely going to be a fight for awhile.
    As for the issue of homeless and transients in the downtown core, I feel that this is just another issue that our small town mentality have to get used to. Compared to so many other much bigger cities we don't have a problem. The city should try to lessen the issues but the problem is still at manageable levels.

Anyways hopefully with some of the new projects coming online soon or that have started already the liveability and usability will continue to improve. I do hope that TransEd can get their act together and finish off parts of the LRT project, especially at the very end of the line so that the core can be brought back to a little bit of normalcy. Same thing with the pool in front of city hall, as I think they are now officially behind schedule which just compounds the issues in the core.

^+1
    www.decl.org

^^ +1 on Edmonton's addiction to free parking downtown because of its historically large collection of empty lots.

Manulife Place news:
    - they are in the process of replacing their railings and I'm told they should be done next month
    - Vandenberg's is finally ready to relocate to a bigger space where Birks was
    - not sure what's happening to the old Kissara space, I hope they are done soon because that hoarding is blocking half the entry to Commerce Place

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well I think to a certain degree it is mindset that is also a problem. I found that if your in a really big city it is only natural that the best option when working in the downtown is to commute via transit. Edmonton also has been spoiled for way too long of having free parking for as long as we have had in the downtown, now that most of that has transformed Edmontonians are finding it difficult to get used to. In a car/truck centric population it is definitely going to be a fight for awhile.
    As for the issue of homeless and transients in the downtown core, I feel that this is just another issue that our small town mentality have to get used to. Compared to so many other much bigger cities we don't have a problem. The city should try to lessen the issues but the problem is still at manageable levels.

Anyways hopefully with some of the new projects coming online soon or that have started already the liveability and usability will continue to improve. I do hope that TransEd can get their act together and finish off parts of the LRT project, especially at the very end of the line so that the core can be brought back to a little bit of normalcy. Same thing with the pool in front of city hall, as I think they are now officially behind schedule which just compounds the issues in the core.
    But we are not a "really big city". I suppose you can reduce the number of traffic lanes to create congestion and get rid of a bunch of parking lots for a variety of reasons in the hopes that everyone will just take transit, but you can not force congestion on people. The alternative is people will just start to avoid the area if it is too inconvenient and go elsewhere. In a really big city, like New York they have enough residents living downtown to create the demand for many retailers and a fairly good subway system for commuters, which because they are a really big city they can afford the per capita cost. We are a mid size city which whether intended or not seems to be doing its best to discourage people from going downtown and then wonders why it is struggling.

^The other factor influencing local attitudes is that traffic outside of the brief rush hour periods is pretty light compared to larger cities. The duration of congestion is also shorter as well. Outside of the perceived inconvenience of finding ample cheap parking driving is relatively pain free in Edmonton.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    ^The other factor influencing local attitudes is that traffic outside of the brief rush hour periods is pretty light compared to larger cities. The duration of congestion is also shorter as well. Outside of the perceived inconvenience of finding ample cheap parking driving is relatively pain free in Edmonton.
    How long is brief? what is light? what is larger city? What makes you call a delay a "perceived" inconvenience rather than an inconvenience?

I don't think someone in Millwoods or Sherwood Park cares that traffic is much more congested in Toronto or Tokyo, your perceived inconvenience is their real time and if it becomes more inconvenient or too difficult they may avoid certain parts of the city.

Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117 LastLast