View Poll Results: Is Edmonton wasting its time by trying to get the World’s Fair?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

6 21.43%
  • No, we are a “world-class” city in every way!

22 78.57%

Thread: Is Edmonton wasting its time trying to get the World's Fair?

Default Is Edmonton wasting its time trying to get the World's Fair?

The Edmonton Sun poll today (Sat., April 07, 2007): "Is Edmonton wasting time trying to get the World's Fair?"

What about C2E members is Edmonton wasting its time by trying to get the World’s Fair?

(There have been comments about the World's Fair on several threads and they have mostly been the polar opposite of what the Edmonton Sun results are.)

Sun Results (17:30)
    Yes 77%
    No 23%

Total Votes for this Question: 31

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Default Re: Is Edmonton wasting its time trying to get the World's F

Quote Originally Posted by djgirl
    What about C2E members is Edmonton wasting its time by trying to get the World’s Fair?
    We were in Vancouver for the "runup" to Expo 86. When it was first proposed as Transpo 86 (the name change came later) it had very little support from Vancouver, the Greater Vancouver Region, much of the provincial government on either side of the house or from the public who didn't know what to make of it and certainly not from the media.

It began with Grace McCarthy, the deputy premier and minister of human resources in the B.C. government; Lawrie Wallace, B.C.’s agent-general in the U.K. and Europe; and Patrick Reid, who had been commissioner general for Canadian participation in several world expositions (San Antonio, Osaka, Spokane) and who was just about to start a term as president of the International Bureau of Expositions in Paris. It was conceived simply as a way to celebrate B.C.'s 100th birthday.

What began as just a potential celebration however, turned out to be what is widely considered the first phase of the largest urban renewal project to take place in North America. Following the fair itself - which was an unprecedented success in the history of world fairs - Vancouver was the recipient and the benefactor of unprecedented exposure and confidence. The expositions success in mandating built forms and relationships on the grounds seems to have spilled over and taken root.

You still see this personified not just in the current build up to the 2010 Olympics but in the success of their Downtown South's evolution and the design guidelines developed between the city and developers. Heights are capped at 300 feet; each tower's base must be 30 to 70 feet high, with ground-floor townhouses that open to the street. Towers are thin, with a maximum floor size that rarely exceeds 6,000 square feet.

Attention to detail goes beyond the buildings. Each project must be set back 12 feet from the existing sidewalk. Six feet are reserved for sidewalk widening and street trees -- a double row is required to create a canopy of shade -- and six feet for landscaped zones that include outdoor seating and entrances to individual units.

"We start with the overriding principle that the sidewalk should be the focal point of public life. You can't leave that to chance."

It was the 22,000,000 plus visits to the Expo 86 grounds that emphasized the importance of pedestrian interaction to the success of any event including the success of urban spaces that fostered the initial public acceptance of that principle.

Wasting time? No more than striving for any other worthwhile enterprise... as one of the characters in the General Motors Pavilion's Spirit Lodge said:

"To stop moving is to die."

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

This is so not wasting our time...we are all but ignored on the world stage and to not try is akin to sticking our heads in the sand.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Partially Addicted to C2E

City wants to host World's Fair

Sun, April 8, 2007
    By AJAY BHARDWAJ, SUN MEDIA

Civic politicians are rallying around a plan to bring the World's Fair to Edmonton, saying it would give the city's image a much-needed boost.

"The fact is Edmonton's international recognition is a challenge," said Coun. Mike Nickel, who along with Coun. Karen Leibovici, is leading the charge to bring the event to E-town.

"In my opinion in the past we haven't made it a priority."

He said the city needs to attract an event of "sufficient size and magnitude to overcome Edmonton's branding problem."

City administration is looking into the feasibility on bidding on the 2017 fair, Nickel said.

"It takes the city to the next level. Edmonton's an international city and it should be branded as such."

Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal are all international cities with greater profiles than Edmonton's, said Nickel.

"We know we're a great city, but it seems people outside of Edmonton don't know," said Coun. Ron Hayter, who supports the idea but wants more information about costs and requirements.

"Certainly it would give us the profile we're lacking. We're kind of like Rodney Dangerfield," Hayter said.

"We don't seem to get any respect, and yet we deserve it.

"We have an image problem."

Mayor Stephen Mandel said Edmonton seems to get sold short on the international stage, even though it boasts a world-class university and top-notch business and manufacturing sectors.

While he supports attracting the World's Fair, Mandel said it's those attributes that make Edmonton world class.

"I think we should celebrate our great successes," he said. "This is a great city, and we need to embrace it for what it is."

Often Edmontonians end up being our worst critics, he added.

Coun. Ed Gibbons agreed the fair would boost the city's international profile, provide the city with legacy facilities and improve current buildings.

"It would put us on the stage," said Gibbons. "Look at us now, hosting the (2007 Ford World) Curling Championships. We're showcasing to the world."

He added in 1987 Calgary and Edmonton were equal cities. But when Calgary hosted the winter Olympics the following year, its profile and international recognition were improved markedly.

"It started things rolling," said Gibbons.

Montreal's Expo '67 drew more than five million visitors to that city, and Vancouver's Expo '86 had a reported attendance of 22 million people.

In 2005, Nickel tried to lead a bid to host the 2015 World's Fair in Edmonton, but missed the deadline to contact Ottawa to place a bid.

The first World's Fair was held in London in 1851. The fairs provide people with a wide range of amusements and glimpses into the future.

Do it! The long term benefits will far outweigh the cost.

I'd rather C2E than work!

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE DO THIS!

grish

Quote Originally Posted by Mandel
    While he supports attracting the World's Fair, Mandel said it's those attributes that make Edmonton world class.

"I think we should celebrate our great successes," he said. "This is a great city, and we need to embrace it for what it is."

Often Edmontonians end up being our worst critics, he added.
    I don't disagree with this. I also know this is just a quote from an interview, but Mandel needs to project a stronger sound bite to declare that we are interested and going for it. This was too politically neutral.

C'mon Steve, lead the city!

C2E Posting Power

The question in the Sun is worded against it.

If the question was "Would you support the World Fair in Edmonton?", the responses would be different.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Xelebes
    The question in the Sun is worded against it.

If the question was "Would you support the World Fair in Edmonton?", the responses would be different.
    The other thing that gets missed in "one shot" questions like this is that a World Fair is not an 8 or 10 day event. Over and above the multi-year pre-promotion and construction and the legacy buildings and infrastructure, Expo 86 opened on May 2, 1986 and didn't close until October 13, 1986.

It was 5 1/2 months of constant worldwide exposure and tourism. Unlike the World Master Games or the World Curling Championships or a Champ Car race - as wonderful as these events can be - that tourism arrives to see the city and the region, not just the "event". As well, because the event is not "crammed" into a very short period of time, the two can comfortably be done concurrently and according to your own schedule. If you want to attend, you don't have to do it during a single week or miss it - you can pick any one of more than 23 weeks to do so.

Each country that had a "pavilion" - and there were 54 of them in Vancouver - encouraged both business and personal visits from "home" to Vancouver for the entire 5 1/2 months. That is the international exposure that is so important - it is not just the breadth but the length that is attractive.

I'd rather C2E than work!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expo_2008

Zaragoza, host city for the International Exposition, is the administrative and financial capital of the Aragon region and the fifth largest Spanish city in inhabitants (660,000), behind Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia and Seville.

If Zaragoza can pull it off, I'm sure Edmonton can do it too.

Not bidding for the world's fair would be foolish.

Addicted to C2E

Although a World's fair would be great for our international publicity, I think the area that will see the greatest improvement is our national image.

Addicted to C2E

With the bidding closed for world's fairs in 2012 and 2015, no North American city will be able to attempt a bid for an exposition until 2017 at the soonest. 2017 will mark 31 years since North America hosted its last exposition, Expo 86 in Vancouver, Canada. 2017 also will mark 33 years since the United States' last world's fair in 1984.

Popular opinion in North America holds that international expositions are simply no longer held. With an entire generation having grown up now having never known a world's fair, this is unsurprising. The chart below illustrates the frequency of international expositions among the continents.

Europe, home of the first international exposition of 1851, suffered a similar 34-year gap from 1958 to 1992. This was followed by the four expos held since then and at least two planned to be held in the next nine years.
    Even World War II resulted in a worldwide gap of only 18 years from 1940 to 1958.

Toronto, Ontario attempted to secure provincial and federal funds in order to place a bid for 2015, but was unable to meet the November bidding deadline. It is unclear right now when a North American city might attempt a bid again, but there are hopes of bids by Edmonton for 2017 and/or San Francisco for 2020.
    The United States has an additional hurdle if it is to ever hold another world's fair. The U.S. Congress pulled out of the Bureau International des Expositions by withdrawing funds for membership in recent years and would need to re-join to bid.

Default The Edmonton Sun Poll Final Results

The Edmonton Sun Poll Final Results 2007-04-07

Is Edmonton wasting time trying to get the World's Fair?
    Yes 70%
    No 30%

Total Votes for this Question: 684

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Note to Mike et al, reword the question.

As I said in the Strathern thread, I hate survey questions that are slanted to one answer. TI doesn't say "should we bid", but is slanted to that defeatist attitude of "do we stand a snowballs chance in...".

How, the negative connotation of "wasting time" is all you need to read.

Should Edmonton bid on the World's Fair?

Would a World's Fair benefit Edmonton?

Could Edmonton host a World's Fair?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

RichardS,

yes

yes

yes

And if anyone wants to know "where" (you couldn't host it in "Hall D" or at Northlands), how about using the City Centre Airport?

And if anyone wants a suggested "theme", how about "education and transportation"?

You could then master plan the entire site - keeping the N/S runway and the race track as part of the "theme" - and then design the pavillion buildings and their locations on the site to be "turned over" to NAIT and the University of Alberta and appropriate R & D users (Spar Aerospace, Bombardier, GM, Toyota, CN, General Electric etc.) to take that "theme" out into the real world.

Now you don't just have a 5 1/2 month "party" watched around the world (not that there is anything wrong with that!), you have a chance to masterplan the "turnover" of City Centre Airport into a true legacy project for the City - and the region - that would be unequaled anywhere in the world...

I disagreed with Kerry's property tax write-in campaign but I for one would be more than happy to write in on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor
    RichardS,

yes

yes

yes

And if anyone wants to know "where" (you couldn't host it in "Hall D" or at Northlands), how about using the City Centre Airport?

And if anyone wants a suggested "theme", how about "education and transportation"?

You could then master plan the entire site - keeping the N/S runway and the race track as part of the "theme" - and then design the pavillion buildings and their locations on the site to be "turned over" to NAIT and the University of Alberta and appropriate R & D users (Spar Aerospace, Bombardier, GM, Toyota, CN, General Electric etc.) to take that "theme" out into the real world.

Now you don't just have a 5 1/2 month "party" watched around the world (not that there is anything wrong with that!), you have a chance to masterplan the "turnover" of City Centre Airport into a true legacy project for the City - and the region - that would be unequaled anywhere in the world...

I disagreed with Kerry's property tax write-in campaign but I for one would be more than happy to write in on this one...
    ^ Ditto all your comments and I too would be more than happy to write in on this one!

I would like to take that further...

I want to spearhead a campaign or initiative to bid on the World Fair for 2017.

The C2E poll was overwhelming in favour of Edmonton bidding on the World Fair. C2E posters are extremely representative of the population and very well informed (intelligent!).

Will a bid and successful response to the World Fair cost money? Of course, anything of quality and worth having (sustaining) always does (something I remind my SO of every day!).

Edmonton is “World Class” and we should no longer be discounting ourselves.

My challenge: "What support are you (members-at-large) going to provide?"

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I am so with you on the campaign, but can we make to 2017?

I don't want to work much when I am 147 years old...

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    I am so with you on the campaign, but can we make to 2017?

I don't want to work much when I am 147 years old...
    ^ Oops, too "fast" fingers. I meant 2017 which I knew was the next timeslot...

What do you mean you don't want to work "much"...

I am on the "Freedom Never" plan so I probably I will working then and I will be older than 147! (Think of it as the new 110, much like 40 is the new 30 and so on!)

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

New thread started. The poll above is fairly representative of this thread, so I shall lock this on to keep discusions focused.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...pic.php?t=2763