Thread: Park revitalizations. What would you do?

Default Park revitalizations. What would you do?

What ideas would you like to see incorporated into some or all city parks?

Eg. Some of our parks sit beside busy roadways (Borden, Centennial, etc.). Since there are no fences, hedges or anything but lawn, people generally don't use the vast perimeter acreage. They look great to drive by but seem quite uninviting. So say at Borden Park, maybe a low fluctuating height wall, or sections of hedging could be placed along portions of the avenue. For safety sake, nothing imposing or continuous but something that would enable the city to put picnic tables along portions of the perimeter - something that would not only bring more life to the park but encourage passers by to consider stopping there themselves for a break or a lunch or something when they see others there enjoying the day.

Pavilion parks thread here...
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=20446

I remember the city doing the opposite when I was a kid and removing the fences that border on parks.

Part to do with safety. I feel like a park looks more inviting without fences.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

How about some really gigantic park benches???

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    I remember the city doing the opposite when I was a kid and removing the fences that border on parks.

Part to do with safety. I feel like a park looks more inviting without fences.
    I sure wouldn't want a continuous and tall fence, especially not a school yard/industrial fence. Maybe sections less than a meter high. Or short hedges with equally sized gaps between them. Against the hedges and low walls you could put picnic tables and benches so they have one 'interest' to them and don't sit out in te middle of a field or sit fully 'exposed' to the roadway traffic.

More roofed structures to ride out short rain bursts might be usefull to. Generally, at the first sight of rain people have to pack everything up and go.

I'd rather C2E than work!

The new Borden Park redevlopment will have some wonderful new features. I agree that something should be done to make it more engaging from 112th avenue. Right now you can't even really see into the park from the road, which is too bad becuase it's one of the nicest parks in the city

I'd like to see some coffee shops / desert shops, etc built on the edge of some parks too. To get people to stop and then go for walk in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    The new Borden Park redevlopment will have some wonderful new features. I agree that something should be done to make it more engaging from 112th avenue. Right now you can't even really see into the park from the road, which is too bad becuase it's one of the nicest parks in the city
    The structures should be near and/or clearly visible to those passing by. If not, then a representation of the attractions/structures integrated into signage or gateway or something.

Oliver pool expanded, maybe an indoor and outdoor pool! Sand Volleyball courts, spray park as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    The structures should be near and/or clearly visible to those passing by. If not, then a representation of the attractions/structures integrated into signage or gateway or something.
    Part of the problem with Borden Park is that it's heavility treed along 112th, and all the ammenities are at the back of the park on the Northlands side. I love the trees but they hide all the structures and ammenities, and all the people using the park too for that matter. Just driving by, you'd think no one ever uses it,. but it is in fact a very busy park

Ran into this article today, the thing that I thought about was the 2nd picture, it reminded me of what used to be at Gold Bar Park, tower, slide, ladders.
    ---
    World’s Coolest Playgrounds Give Kids a Taste of the Surreal
    http://www.wired.com/design/2014/02/...e-playgrounds/

I'd love to see a park like this or this

Now before everyone jumps on screaming that we are a winter city, that's true and we couldn't replicate a garden built in Victoria BC to that level. But plants do grow here and the one in Halifax has roughly the same growing season as Edmonton. Winter is longer here because it comes earlier in the fall but spring comes about the same time. I see lots of beautiful gardens around people's homes here, why not have a classic "Victorian garden" in Edmonton.

Number 2, A few well placed, fenced dog parks. Many of Edmonton's parks a large and have the room to accommodate a 1/4 or 1/2 acre dog park that is completely fenced. I live beside Gallagher park and it's huge with lots of open spaces that could have one fenced area for dogs. That just one of a few possible locations that could work.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I want to see something like NYCs highline built over the high level bridge. I was just there and it was amazing. Beautiful actually.

Borden park needs a multi-use trail parallel to 112 Av, connecting the LRT trail to Ada boulevard. It would likely be very popular with both recreational cyclists and bicycle commuters.

^ That's actually a really good idea. I think we should take a closer look at that

My goal is the same as the river valley alliance's, to see connected trails all the way from Devon to Fort Saskatchewan. I'd love to ride my mountain bike from one end to other other.