Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,600 of 2649

Thread: Encore | Residential Tower | Under Construction| 43 floors - 138m

Especially if you don't aim at any.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Pretty much. Aside from the mad rush hours of "pee and poo" ...
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    not <name withheld> pictures that get repeated all over the place. Oh look, the crane moved, better snap a photo to show the progress, or here's where I ate for lunch today...
    why not just type IanO when everyone knows that you're talking about IanO? Passive aggression is a sign of mental weakness.

Medwards you need to relax. In particular the last couple days you’ve been acting pretty toxic. There’s an ignore button if it bothers you that much. Learn to live and let live man.

We went for a good run boys and girls... so let's keep up our momentum...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Medwards you need to relax. In particular the last couple days you’ve been acting pretty toxic. There’s an ignore button if it bothers you that much. Learn to live and let live man.
    Stevey_G, I'm sorry you feel that way, but you also have an ignore button you can use if it bothers you that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Quick shift of your eyes to the left, particularly in the early evening and you'd see an off-leash area that is VERY well-used. And behind that a community garden that can also be quite busy.

Or does none of that fit with your pre-conceived narrative ?
    $5 million & what you're touting is the chunk of astroturf & handful of planters?

If you go back in time you'll see I've acknowledged that those two things would be popular, but I've always questioned the massive budget & built form of this little DECL vanity project.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Not falling in line with the groupthink isn't toxicity. You've got the ignore button, same as anyone else. Feel free to jam your fingers in your ears & hum at any time.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Stevey_G, I'm sorry you feel that way, but you also have an ignore button you can use if it bothers you that much.
    I’d prefer not I value hearing alternative opinions and we agree a lot on things regarding mass transit as well. Personal attacks just don’t add any substance at all to the forum. And it gets to a point where they become tiresome is all.

Stick to the topic and you’ll probably sway a few opinions :P

Maybe his 'quiet and peaceful' suburbs aren't as mind calming as we thought. If anything they seem to be making him crazier by the day
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KenL2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

Ian I appreciate you posting llinks to photos to save bandwidth, however there are those of us that while at work on corporate system have zero access to social media, so a thumbnail or some low res pic would be appreciated

thanks
    Maybe should be working and not on some fourm complaining crazy right?
    If Ken's job is anything like mine, I am working while reading forums. Waiting for a server to boot up, or an application to run its process, I have idle time. A quick refresh of the forum and a few threads read, and my next task is now ready for me. Rinse, lather, repeat till the 9-5 is over.
    Yup. That was like one of my past jobs. Go like crazy some days, sometimes from 7:00 am until 10:00-11:00 pm to meet deadlines and the next few day more intermittent work, and periodically monitoring/posting to c2e to stay sane.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    Maybe his 'quiet and peaceful' suburbs aren't as mind calming as we thought. If anything they seem to be making him crazier by the day
    love the drive by personal attack. You must be fun at parties. Just can't be satisfied that not everyone wants the downtown lifestyle in there 40's like you.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quick shift of your eyes to the left, particularly in the early evening and you'd see an off-leash area that is VERY well-used. And behind that a community garden that can also be quite busy.

$5 million & what you're touting is the chunk of astroturf & handful of planters?

If you go back in time you'll see I've acknowledged that those two things would be popular, but I've always questioned the massive budget & built form of this little DECL vanity project.
    I believe that one very positive aspect of any such public space is simply an attractive and calming appearance in amongst the downtown chaos and sea of parking lots. As a nearby resident, I think it fulfills that very well.

Right now ADP is right on the edge of the "redeveloped" area, not particularly conducive to programmed events, etc altho there have been some. Once a few of Wexford Clancey and/or Edgar Shift / Westrich 106 and/or Healy and/or Pangman Jasper/108 come to fruition, the other usages of the park will no doubt pick up considerably.

And if you deride all that because some of it's "in the future", well, it looks like you don't understand foresight...

^the park is always in use every time i drive or walk by, especially the dog park.

It's good to have dreams & wishes.

I just wonder how many more big-budget, game-changing, legacy projects on the public dime Downtown is gonna need to make the business cases for all those towers a reality. So many handouts, so much supply-side manipulation of property values to the benefit of corporations, plutocrats plus their hangers-on & toadies.

Time to replace Commonwealth with a retractable roof stadium downtown. It'll add vibrancy.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I look almost right on ADP and can vouch that it gets used quite well. Both humans and puppies seem to love it.

As one who sat on a committee working with the city on design, I suggested trees that bore berries, to entice songbirds to DT. And, I'm thinking there are a couple of rows that seem to have buds.

As for Micheal Phair "Park," wouldn't call it exactly a park, but with the recent arrival of a food truck, 'tis a nice green space to sit and enjoy your tacos.
    ... gobsmacked

My one criticism of ADP Is the concrete extensions. They break of what could be a continuous greenspace used for things like frisbee or whatever. They may be there for a purpose but less woulda been more.

I love the rest of the park, and it’s whay attracted my tenant (at a higher rent than last year for the first time since buying).

My one criticism of ADP Is the concrete extensions. They break of what could be a continuous greenspace used for things like frisbee or whatever. They may be there for a purpose but less woulda been more.
    They've shifted or settled over the winter & it makes it tough for it to mow the grass evenly, plus they're gonna be a tripping hazard sooner rather than later. Design 1, Practicality & Maintenance 0.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Please get a little more informed before speaking, or perhaps that's just how you continue to troll here. This was purchased by way of the MR parcel on the area site being disposed and while DECL was heavily involved, it was a COE project. At the time, we simply did some of the community consultation of what people wanted.
    Last edited by IanO; 08-06-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Time to replace Commonwealth with a retractable roof stadium downtown. It'll add vibrancy.

It is about time you show some commonsense. Im glad you acknowledged downtown requires rejuvenation. Although your approach is quite ostentatious hence Calgary's delima. Just saying...

I just wonder how many more big-budget, game-changing, legacy projects on the public dime Downtown is gonna need to make the business cases for all those towers a reality. So many handouts, so much supply-side manipulation of property values to the benefit of corporations, plutocrats plus their hangers-on & toadies.
    Time to start a new thread dedicated to this topic.

Or, maybe better yet, as was suggested to me: start a miscellaneous thread with your user name on it. I did and it seems to work well.

This might work: noodle - personal rants

Actually a few of us here could try this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Or, maybe better yet, as was suggested to me: start a miscellaneous thread with your user name on it. I did and it seems to work well.

That's a column I'd read. lol
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Yeah, there's zero chance I'm gonna take this advice.

Yeah, there's zero chance I'm gonna take this advice.
    We should set something up like that - under Real Estate. Noodle is not the only one who could contribute - I would put CitizenEds babbling in that thread and EdmTrekker's as well.

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Beautiful shot with Encore looking very NICE from this angle.

C2E SME

So what floor we at now?

~40th? Seems like the floor plates are changing for the sub-penthouses/penthouse.

Definitely changing over to sub-pent/pent layouts. I would say 41 or 42.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

from last night:

Adds a ton to the look of the CBD.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    from last night:
    I don’t think anything will visually compare to the modern look and lines of this tower - and for a very long time.

Looks like they're working on the 39th floor now. 5 left to go.

Default Stunning

from last night:
    I don’t think anything will visually compare to the modern look and lines of this tower - and for a very long time.
    Best looking tower in the city.

Wow Encore and a 10/10 picture of ID !!!

C2E SME

Walking east on 102 Avenue last night, the Encore really made Edmonton feel like a big city.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by GeN View Post
    from last night:
    I agree. Imagine what another 10 floors would have done. In any event I will take 5 more of these - I can't wait to see what this developer builds next in the downtown core.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeN View Post
    from last night:
    I agree. Imagine what another 10 floors would have done. In any event I will take 5 more of these - I can't wait to see what this developer builds next in the downtown core.
    I’m no development guru, but I sense some of the new energy codes may make glistening glass towers such as this one uneconomical. I hope I’m wrong though.

www.decl.org

It will make a very nice contrast with fox and Icon from that view
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

from last night:
    This is by far my favourite new condo tower! 👌

I like this shot, it makes our downtown look like it has some density to it !

C2E SME

I’m no development guru, but I sense some of the new energy codes may make glistening glass towers such as this one uneconomical. I hope I’m wrong though.
    You're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    You're not.
    Expect more punched windows or buildings with a wrap-around "skin" that hid the very minimalist basic design. They look and function much better, IMO than what we're used to, but it's a paradigm shift in building, but the architects are there and pushing it.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

^I still can't believe we're allowing balconies with no thermal break between the balcony and the main slab, which is a huge energy issue. They've solved this problem in Europe ages ago.
    www.decl.org

The Energy Code's flaw is that it looks at the envelope without any consideration of floor space, use, or even how much envelope there is per floor space.

So you could build a 40' tall space with 10' of glazing and it's all good, but a 10' tall wall of all glass is a no-no.

Or design row of skinnies with all glass on the front and back but few windows on the sides would be OK, but design a row of townhouses with the exact same front and back facades and it would fail even though it would actually perform better.

If a normal sized standalone house can pass with 30m2 of glass then a condo unit with the same number of bedrooms should also pass with 30m2 glass even if that's the grand total wall area.
    Last edited by Highlander II; 17-06-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    There can only be one.

^Interesting, thanks for the explanation. Indeed does seem flawed.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    The Energy Code's flaw is that it looks at the envelope without any consideration of floor space, use, or even how much envelope there is per floor space.

So you could build a 40' tall space with 10' of glazing and it's all good, but a 10' tall wall of all glass is a no-no.

Or design row of skinnies with all glass on the front and back but few windows on the sides would be OK, but design a row of townhouses with the exact same front and back facades and it would fail even though it would actually perform better.

If a normal sized standalone house can pass with 30m2 of glass then a condo unit with the same number of bedrooms should also pass with 30m2 glass even if that's the grand total wall area.
    Yeah it's a bit of a dance, for sure. As new energy requirements for the country come on-line there will be a lot more restrictions. I know friends of mine in Vancouver (wit their own Building Code) really have a time with thermal bridging and glazing is on the outs.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    The Energy Code's flaw is that it looks at the envelope without any consideration of floor space, use, or even how much envelope there is per floor space.So you could build a 40' tall space with 10' of glazing and it's all good, but a 10' tall wall of all glass is a no-no. Or design row of skinnies with all glass on the front and back but few windows on the sides would be OK, but design a row of townhouses with the exact same front and back facades and it would fail even though it would actually perform better.If a normal sized standalone house can pass with 30m2 of glass then a condo unit with the same number of bedrooms should also pass with 30m2 glass even if that's the grand total wall area.
    Yeah it's a bit of a dance, for sure. As new energy requirements for the country come on-line there will be a lot more restrictions. I know friends of mine in Vancouver (wit their own Building Code) really have a time with thermal bridging and glazing is on the outs.
    Yah the new energy codes will make a bit of a difference for buildings. The envelop has to be the biggest contributor for poor performance in buildings now. The CoE has been studying their buildings the past few years. Energy audits. performance testing all show the envelops done right can reduce the energy use enough that a lot of building can eventually be net 0.the study also found that mechanical systems are so efficient now that that they don't see drastic changes to mechanical if they are within their operating life span.

^That sounds great, but I know there is still significant thermal bridging to the concrete slab from the balconies in the winter. This could be easily solved, they're like giant radiating fins on the building.
    www.decl.org

I would presume that they have some sort of thermal break.
    www.decl.org

^ from construction photos, doesn't seem like it:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...l=1#post922497

balconies are straight up just cantilever slabs. no visible break from underside. unless they're using some non-conventional method

www.decl.org

The glazing seems to have stalled on this, haven't seen any new glazing go up in a couple weeks now

www.decl.org

5 or 6 more of these in the core would be just fine !

We need 10-15 more.
    www.decl.org

Do I hear 20? 30?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

50 !!!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I bid 51. Well, over the long term.

Encore working on sub/penthouse.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1146089812274769920
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Any guesses on why the glazing has stalled? I haven't seen any new glazing installed in at least 3 weeks now

The articulation in the windows running up the tower creates the illusion of greater height or at least my "eye to brain" see it that way.

The pure simple clean shape and the narrowness are the factor from my perspective. In current form, I see where you're coming from. It has distinction though

www.decl.org

For those of us with no twitter account it sure would be nice to see the pictures instead of the link to a social platform... not everyone uses these for various reasons, computers though are pretty universal, thanks for your time.
    Last edited by KenL2; 10-07-2019 at 10:55 AM.
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

Thank you for posting an actual picture, very much appreciated
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

People regularly link from IG/TW/etc. as it is much more efficient than hosting somewhere else.

You should not need a twitter account to see them, but you cannot have it blocked either.
    www.decl.org

People regularly link from IG/TW/etc. as it is much more efficient than hosting somewhere else.
    Using imgur is hardly an onerous process: drag & drop the picture, cut & paste the link.

You should not need a twitter account to see them, but you cannot have it blocked either.
    That's just it, many companies prohibit social media sites on corporate networks, so taking the lazy way out is counterproductive to spreading your message. This is hardly the first time you've been requested to provide more universal access to what you're sharing & it's literally seconds to use a more accessible host.

Then feel free to host/post as you like.
    www.decl.org

Oh, I always post as I like. I was just trying to see if I could increase the level of common courtesy shown, but evidently it's a bridge too far for you to be considerate of the people you're attempting to communicate at.

Fair enough!

C2E SME

For those of us with no twitter account it sure would be nice to see the pictures instead of the link to a social platform... not everyone uses these for various reasons, computers though are pretty universal, thanks for your time.
    I don't have a Twitter account and the pictures show up fine. As noodle indicates, it may be something with your company's settings/filters.

Twitter photos show up fine.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Using imgur is hardly an onerous process: drag & drop the picture, cut & paste the link.

That's just it, many companies prohibit social media sites on corporate networks, so taking the lazy way out is counterproductive to spreading your message. This is hardly the first time you've been requested to provide more universal access to what you're sharing & it's literally seconds to use a more accessible host.
    Ironically imgur is blocked at my work but not twitter. So not sure there is a solution, other than hosting yourself, that will work for everyone.

I've never seen anyone complain about kcantor's photos & he's on Flickr. Heck, even my old stuff on here on Flickr seems to still be up. Here's pics coming up on 8 years, still valid links.

(I just picked imgur as an example of a sharing site simple enough for a Luddite to use)

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^^They show up fine for me as well. No twitter account.

Thank you for posting an actual picture, very much appreciated
    I agree.
    And its interesting to see the brick building in the foreground with those windows on the white painted north face - and offices, I assume, being used there. What tenants would be leasing that space? Or are these residential units?

Revillon Building (http://4thstpromenade.ca/about/historical-buildings/)

No residential that I know of, but creeping up on 118 years old.
    ... gobsmacked

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    ^I still can't believe we're allowing balconies with no thermal break between the balcony and the main slab, which is a huge energy issue. They've solved this problem in Europe ages ago.
    I was just thinking the same thing. Massive thermal bridging! We've all felt the cold floor near the balcony. I'm currently living in Poland (mild climate) and they are building residential buildings all around me, so I've see twice now the use of thermally broken balconies attached to the slab. I'm not sure about the limitations on such tall buildings (the ones I've see are 6 storey tops) but I don't see why they wouldn't be functional on tall buildings too. For anyone interested this is the product I've seen https://www.schock-na.com/en-us/balcony-products.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Zom8i3; 13-07-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zom8i3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing. Massive thermal bridging! We've all felt the cold floor near the balcony. I'm currently living in Poland (mild climate) and they are building residential buildings all around me, so I've see twice now the use of thermally broken balconies attached to the slab. I'm not sure about the limitations on such tall buildings (the ones I've see are 6 storey tops) but I don't see why they would be functional on tall buildings too. For anyone interested this is the product I've seen https://www.schock-na.com/en-us/balcony-products.

Cheers!
    Actually, it appears that those are used on the Stantec Tower, so height doesn't matter!

My photos from last weekend

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This is one sharp looking building. I’m hoping for a couple more similar ones.

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Grandonite View Post

The glazing seems to have stalled on this, haven't seen any new glazing go up in a couple weeks now
    Been a month and I think you're still correct.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Any chance the glazing is being done by the folks behind the Chateau Lacombe reskinning, which only has 6 windows left but abandoned for months?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

oh no ! it's crooked ! what do we do???

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Hahaha

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes. Good one.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast