Thread: Your opinions on the 2011/2012 Ford Fusion AWD (Sport or SEL)

Default Your opinions on the 2011/2012 Ford Fusion AWD (Sport or SEL)

I'm seriously considering buying a new car. I have my eyes on a Ford Fusion AWD Sport or SEL model. (No - not interested in the hybrid model, and also not interested to hear why you think I should take transit versus buying a car - find some other thread to discuss that)

What does everyone think of this car? What else would you consider in this class? Keep in mind the AWD is a big selling feature for me.

I've never been a big fan of Ford until recently. Their offerings have really stepped it up in the last couple of years... At least in my opinion.

So what do you think of this model? Of the recent changes at Ford? What else should I look at?

Reason for replacement: Old car (2001 Saturn SC1) was stolen about a month ago and has not been seen since... Insurance pay out coming (albeit not much for that car). It was time to upgrade anyways...
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

I think the Fusion is a good vehicle but it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

If you want AWD though in a sedan, I don't think there is a ton of other choice outside premium models, unless you are willing to consider crossovers (like the Venza). The new Subaru Legacy is very nice though (albeit a little bland), and Subuaru keeps its value really well.

If AWD is not an issue, the Sonata and Optima are both really nice IMO.

Preference is to AWD, price range is 25 to 40 k... Prefer a sedan.. Not looking for an SUV or Truck... or crossover either.
    I really like the amount of options you can get from Ford now at a decent price...
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

a 2001 saturn SC1!!! jesus! an upgrade is long overdue.

my advice is to buy the car that you will be happy getting into every day for the next couple years. its good to get others views on it but in the end if you aren't happy in that car then whats the point.

as for the ford fusion, ive heard nothing but good things about it and a lot of fords other offerings.
    be offended! figure out why later...

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    The old car costs nothing except gas, insurance and regular maintenance... never needed anything else...had it almost 8 years now. (bought it slightly used)...I wanted to upgrade next year... but I guess not now... I could have paid cash next year for a new car... now will have to finance part of it. No idea why someone would want to steal either...

I have a 2007 Fusion SEL and love it. I haven't driven the new generation, but I know someone who traded in their '07 for a '10 and they feel it's been improved in every way. When I was shopping for mine, I test drove about 10 different vehicles, including comparable Camry, Accord, and Mazda 6 (nothing from Chev/Chrysler even came remotely close at the time), and felt the Fusion was by far a better bang for the buck, and Consumer Reports and other review organizations have been giving the Fusion great marks since launch.

The only thing I've heard is that the new Sync/MyTouch system isn't as good as the last version, but apparently you can ask the dealer to load the system with the previous version software that works better <- This issue may only apply to the refreshed Edge and new Explorer.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Partially Addicted to C2E

I'd second to Subaru. There is no substitute for it's AWD in slippery road condition, no matter what other brands are saying. I was on a trip in Montana's mountains not long ago at Glacier National Park, every 3rd vehicle was a Subaru. Also, noticed Calgarians love them to go to Rockies. It is the only car out there on which you can go off-road with SUVs.
    Subaru is fairly simplified inside, though. The quality is superb.
    I always compare Subaru to Apple. They used to be so unpopular here in North America. And now they are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Preference is to AWD, price range is 25 to 40 k... Prefer a sedan.. Not looking for an SUV or Truck... or crossover either.
    I really like the amount of options you can get from Ford now at a decent price...
    If you can stretch to 45k, the Volvo S60 T6AWD is awesome, winning awards all over the place. I don't know the price of this (i.e. it might be a high spec model), but Volvo in Edmonton have a couple of recent second hand ones:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volvo/S60...0404140526968/
    http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volvo/S60...0404140526968/

That will blow away any Fusion (and a lot of BMW's and similar as well).

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-volvo-s60-t6/
    Last edited by moahunter; 11-07-2011 at 08:21 PM.

My friend got a Subaru. It may be good quality, but it's as spartan as they come. Just because a bunch of Steve Jobs lovin' granola treehuggers like it doesn't mean it's good. It just means it's the "in" item for hippies.

Stick with the Fusion.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

The S60 looks alright, but looking at auto trader, even a used one looks out of my range, especially considering mileage/vehicle age...

I'd rather C2E than work!

I was very very close to buying a Fusion about a year ago. Loved it, but my vehicular needs changed and I bought an Edge instead. I also looked into the Camry, Accord, etc and felt that the Fusion was the way to go.

Love the new-look Ford, the Sync, and the overall feel of the vehicles.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I'd say the Subaru Legacy is a better bet. I would suspect that Subaru's AWD system is superior to Ford's on the Fusion (which probably runs in FWD until wheel slip is detected, vs full time AWD with Subaru). The Subaru also keeps it's value better than the Ford.

Otherwise, the Ford Fusion is a decent car, though nearing the end of it's life. Ford has a pretty good line up of cars right now.

I've heard good things about the fusion. Also the Chevy Cruze is great, but no AWD. If you can afford a Caddy, the CTS is AWD & very sexy looking IMO.
    Last edited by Dupa; 11-07-2011 at 09:16 PM.

I rented a fusion SEL this weekend (2011). Quite nice, smooth. Lots of get up and go, nice purr when you push it. Headroom was limited with the sunroof (I'm 6'3"). Nice looks compared to the previous generation. Leather is nice. I didnt like the climate controls, too far down and buttons were too small.

As mentioned below, the CTS4 is a decent car (i think there's an STS4 as well). The STS in particular depreciates quickly so you should be able to find one in your price range that's not too old. The G35x is also a secksy beast and should be available used in the price range you're interested.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Drove the SEL 400km one day for a site meeting, not bad, but still kinda meh interior and i found it not amazingly comfortable. Power was acceptable, but lacking for a vehicle of that size.

That said, it looks ok (given what's out there) and doesnt really fail on anything.

That said, I think there are some much nicer AWD 4dr cars than this.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    That said, I think there are some much nicer AWD 4dr cars than this.
    Can you name some? Aside from the Subaru Legacy (which is probably smart financially, but a bit dull inside and out), most of the AWD "cars" are in the luxury segment which moves into 40k plus teritory (plenty of crossovers though).

I think a 2 or 3 year old G37x would probably be a smart bet, likely would keep its value better, very reliable, and much nicer interior. OP is not looking for second hand though.

G37 has one of the worst dash interiors i have ever seen, so cheap looking, but the rest is decent.

Yes, you would have to spend about 5-10 more in all likelihood, that's true.
    www.decl.org

I thought of one more, the Suzuki Kizashi AWD:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Since nobody has heard of it, could probably get a good deal.
    Last edited by moahunter; 12-07-2011 at 09:15 AM.

^there is a reazon no one has heard of it...

I know you dont want used, but i would consider used STI over this, WAY more fun, better in the snow, and well more fun.
    www.decl.org

the mercedes C250 4matic is just a shade over 40K
    bmw 328xi is just under 40K

The STI is based on the impreza, which is smaller than the other cars being discussed here. the ride is extremely stiff. not exactly a family sedan.

^STI is hardly stiff, more that other cars are unfortunately more akin to sofas.

328xi is a great car, but not for everyone.
    www.decl.org

Although interested in all vehicles, my maximum is really 35-40K, and not looking to go over that...

I also looked at Audi A4, and various bmw 3-series... some where nice, but for the options I could get in the ford fusion, weren't available in the lower end a4 and 3series in my price range.

^but A4 and Bimmer so much cooler.
    www.decl.org

Isn't the Ford Fusion is a Mazda 6 underneath? With a Ford engine...

Relatives of mine just bought a Fusion two weeks ago after looking at Hondas and Toyotas. Their Fusion is very nice. (They currently have a BMW 328i so I assume the Fusion is pretty darn good to compare well with their 328i)
    As for Subaru, a neighbour who's had all kinds of vehicles (Lexus, Audi S4, Honda, etc.) now has two Subarus in the family having just got his daughter a used one last month. I think they like them.

I tried to get my relatives to look at the Subaru Legacy since I love the Forester and Outback and have never heard a bad thing about Subaru, but they never did check them out. (Last year I bought a used Honda CRV as in interim vehicle until I can buy a used Subaru Outback (the latest and unfortunately not so nice looking iteration).

Search your choices on YouTube for video reviews - some videos are quite informative.
    Last edited by KC; 12-07-2011 at 11:25 AM.

www.decl.org

The Ford Fusion shares the same platform as the Madza 6... (ford owns mazda after all)

----
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_CD3_platform
    Vehicles currently using this platform include the following:

Cancelled CD3 products:

my girlfriend JUST bought a BMW 323i demo model for less than your price range. It's a base model, but a base model BMW is still pretty well equipped. I think they had 5 more demos nearing the end of their "demo life" (i.e. over 4,000km) which they were offering a very attractive discount on. Just something to think about.

The Ford Fusion shares the same platform as the Madza 6... (ford owns mazda after all)

----
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_CD3_platform
    Vehicles currently using this platform include the following:

Cancelled CD3 products:

In November 2010, Ford reduced their stake in Mazda to just 3% [ this is far from ownership]. They are still exchanging technology.
    Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

at the lower end oif the scale, the Hyudai has some pretty great options and very competitive price + Warranty
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^but A4 and Bimmer so much cooler.
    I think it doesn't make sense ever to aim for the "top" of a vehcile line. i.e. If I was getting a Fusion, I wouldn't want to pay premium car money for it, no matter what colours the LED lighting inside can change to. Probably 30k would be the max I would go to, even then, I'd rather by a 2 or 3 year old Inifiniti.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    at the lower end oif the scale, the Hyudai has some pretty great options and very competitive price + Warranty
    I wish hyundai would offer the Sonata in AWD version. Same for the Kia Optima which is probably the best looking new car model right now.

I test drove the Fusion, Sonata V6, Camry, Dodge something, and Chrysler 4dr something, and the Sonata V6 killer them all.
    www.decl.org

I really like where Ford has gone since they were down and out with the other American Companies. I think the Sync gives them an advantage over non-luxury brands since it's attracting a lot of the 'younger' generations. Their car lineup is a little too blah for me, but a huge improvement to where they were not even 4 years ago.

As for AWD... my family's first car will always be an AWD vehicle. It's just good to have it for those days you need to get somewhere in snowy/icy conditions. It also gives the gf a little more peace of mind. Apparently there are a lot of sedans/cars these days with AWD.

RWD is infinitely more fun and far less maintenance.
    www.decl.org

What RWD do you drive in the middle of winter?

I drove my s2000 for 3 yrs with good winters and not once had an issue... Other than fun.
    www.decl.org

^You got up the hills downtown ok with that? even with snow tires RWD going up some of our hills is brutal.

Yup... All winter.
    www.decl.org

RWD's are supposed to be a lot better now in winter with traction control and stability control, than in the past. Probably depends on what type of driving you do, and how much. I switched from FWD to AWD as I am doing more freeway driving now, and had a couple of scary moments. I think it was a good move, but I wouldn't have bothered if I was still just driving in the City.

A diff sure helps as well...
    www.decl.org

lol RWD is super fun in winter time. I had a Mazda RX-8 with winter tires on.

I know Ian and I had a discussion a while back to whether FWD or RWD was safer/easier to drive and control in winter. I'm still going with RWD.

C2E SME

For the average driver it's unquestionably safer/easier in a FWD car. If you hit the throttle in FWD, the worst that happens is you continue going in a straight line despite steering inputs. If you give too much throttle in a RWD car, the *** end has a tendency to turn in to the front end. The vast majority of people are far better off in a FWD car in winter conditions.

^back to topic :P

So should I go new or slightly used?

* I didn't qualify for awesome rates you can get "oac" with new vehicles

So should I go new or slightly used?

* I didn't qualify for awesome rates you can get "oac" with new vehicles
    I don't think I'll ever buy a new vehicle again. Such a big money loss.

2-3 years old. Even better deals if you can spare some time to import from the US.

^hmm I've thought about this a lot, and there are so many variables to consider that it's actually more of a case by case decision. For example some questions I ask are:

-How long will I keep the car? If I plan on keeping it a long time, then the first 5 years under warranty will ensure I won't be throwing away cash into a money pit and will help decide if I will keep the car beyond 5 years. (This is usually done with a cost comparison chart).

-What will it's main use be? Will it be our second car and just get me to work/my hockey games and back? If that's it purpose, no point in getting something new and expensive when I could get something a few dollars cheaper.

-Does the newer model have something that I actually really want or need? Maybe Bluetooth speaker and mic, Navigation, safer, new transmission, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by JBear View Post
    ^hmm I've thought about this a lot, and there are so many variables to consider that it's actually more of a case by case decision. For example some questions I ask are:

-How long will I keep the car? If I plan on keeping it a long time, then the first 5 years under warranty will ensure I won't be throwing away cash into a money pit and will help decide if I will keep the car beyond 5 years. (This is usually done with a cost comparison chart).

-What will it's main use be? Will it be our second car and just get me to work/my hockey games and back? If that's it purpose, no point in getting something new and expensive when I could get something a few dollars cheaper.

-Does the newer model have something that I actually really want or need? Maybe Bluetooth speaker and mic, Navigation, safer, new transmission, etc...
    that's true. keep in mind though that the 15-20K savings from buying a used 3 yr old car can pay for a LOT of transmissions and repair jobs. given the quality and reliability of cars these days, you're guaranteed to come out ahead.

C2E Continued Contributor

I purchased a 2010 Ford Fusion Sport with AWD. Got it loaded. It is a very fun car to drive. The sport package really allows the car to hug the road. The ride is also a sport ride, stuffer springs but I prefer that. I hate that floaty ride some car suspensions give. The fit and finsh is excellent. I love the nav system and satellite radio. I also love how I am able to stream music from my iPhone to my car wirelessly. The sync system allows me to make phone calls hands free. The leather seats are very comfortable and the heated seat option is a must in winter. Sunroof/moonroof is a must have, I love mine! I also really like the little extras like ambient lighting.

I have had this car for 31,000 k now. It's ridiculously flawless. There is a Reason it was the 2010 motor trend car of the year.
    Last edited by Cardinal Fang; 24-07-2011 at 10:38 PM.
    Stop illegal aliens! Enforce the LAW!

^ I went and bought a 2010 Ford Fusion Sport AWD two weekend ago. It was lightly used. It comes fully loaded minus the navigation package.

Loving the car so far. Only thing so far is that I have to have the Sync/APIM system looked at, it's headed in to Ford for some warranty repairs on it. none of the sync inputs are working (usb/bluetooth/line in).

I thought only the hybrid version won car of the year, that said, it's still a great car.

^its interesting, latest quality surveys for Ford have nosedived in the last year because of the Sync type technology causing problems / frustrations.

In between cars, I drove around in a 2011 Ford Flex rental, and it has the newer version of sync system... It worked awesome...

I'll try to update this thread when it gets fixed...

Default John LeBlancís top 10 worst best-selling cars

Ford Fusion

With 12,619* examples sold through the end of July, so far this year, the Fusion is the best-selling family sedan in Canada. Now perhaps itís the seemingly endless purchase incentives that Ford Canada incessantly offers. Or the sheer number of Ford dealers across this country. But despite its popularity, the Fusion is outclassed by many of its rivals.

For example: the dynamic Korean duo of the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima offer nicer interiors, more sophisticated drivetrains ó and in the case of the Optima ó much more athletic driving characteristics.
    http://www.wheels.ca/article/799488

WHAT A BUNCH OF BIASED BS!!!!!!!!!

"I have rented the Hyundai Sonata and own a 2011 Ford Fusion. While the console in the Sonata is more updated, everything else in the interior is much less quality than the Fusion. Sonata has cheap hard plastics throughout, more road noise and crappy suspension. Fusion has soft plastics inside, better ride, agility, smooth ride, more features than the Sonata. Engine wise, Sonata definitely better. But overall, Fusion is an excellent car, even Consumer Reports says so."

Korean bias is what that crap article is all about!

^Versus an old Japanese platform? I guess isn't as wowed as you are by the adjustable color ambient lights. Fusion is a very old platform now, based off an old Mazda 6 (engines are outclassed as well versus the new direct injection units in the market).
    Last edited by moahunter; 03-10-2011 at 09:01 PM.

"Why do you have such an obvious Mexican/Korean bias? At the same time you berate canadian built cars. Better economy, reliability, lower cost of ownership and better quality are not enough to convince you, but thankfully the Canadian public knows better. Coming from a REAL car guy (not an ad guy), the smart thing would be to buy a corrola to get to work cheaply and reliably and have a sports car for the weekend. So now you are informed. Buy Canadian!"

" Your beloved Kia is still a cheaply made car compared to japanese competitors, and when you factor in depriciation the cost of ownership is often 2 to 3 times as much. Many of the cars on the list are canadian built and we do build some of the best cars in the world despite your obvious mexican/koreon bias."
    Last edited by Cardinal Fang; 03-10-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    The old car costs nothing except gas, insurance and regular maintenance... never needed anything else...had it almost 8 years now. (bought it slightly used)...I wanted to upgrade next year... but I guess not now... I could have paid cash next year for a new car... now will have to finance part of it. No idea why someone would want to steal either...
    Saturn S-series were great cars, my 1998 SL2 towed a boat across BC and is still running great. Don't know why anyone would have bought the coupe instead of the sedan or wagon though. Hard to fit more than 2 people in and butt-ugly.

As for the Fusion, It's unfortunate that Ford won't let you have AWD on the base model with the 2.4 L engine and 6 speed manual transmission. When a bigger boat and a baby prompted a bigger vehicle I went for the Subaru Outback to get the surprisingly hard to find 4 cylinder / AWD / manual transmission combo.

Default Wow, 2013 model might be worth waiting for

don't like the grill at all. (though I like all the other aspects of it...)

My 2010 will do for now.

I hope they keep the ambient lightning option!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post

As for the Fusion, It's unfortunate that Ford won't let you have AWD on the base model with the 2.4 L engine and 6 speed manual transmission. When a bigger boat and a baby prompted a bigger vehicle I went for the Subaru Outback to get the surprisingly hard to find 4 cylinder / AWD / manual transmission combo.
    i agree with this. i am looking for something with awd but they all seem to have the worst engine options. 4 speed automatic on a awd Rav4? really toyota? what garbage