Thread: Liberal Rally Iggy is in town

Default Liberal Rally Iggy is in town

Saturday April 16,2011 6:30 PM

Santa Goretti Community Center 11050 90 St Edmonton.

No need to register and no face book checking LOL.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    He just looks soo sexy in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apw9w...&feature=feedf
    Oh hey, another attack trying to paint him as an outsider while denigrating them. Cool, thumbs up!

I'll be (trying to at least) going to it, I'll be interested in what he has to say for Edmonton and it'd be nice to shoot out a couple of sort-of critical questions, but I doubt they'd let me. Anyone else going?

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    He just looks soo sexy in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apw9w...&feature=feedf
    Lol, this one is funny too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcJ_9wVfFE0&NR=1

Who makes this stuff up? Its like the "red eye" harper stuff a few years ago.

As a self-described political junky I look forward to this kind of stuff!

I think all the attack ads over the years have painted him more negatively than he deserves. Harper's done some stupid things too and don't agree with his politics, but I admire anyone that is willing to dedicate their time to politics and run for public office and be in the public spotlight. It's easier for the average person to just believe the attack and negative ads than get informed. I hate that part of the campaigns and detracts from policy and real discussion and debate on the issues.
    www.decl.org

Yes those attack ads costing apparently about 12 millions dollars had formed a somewhat negative image about Iggy, but did not work......except has this amount of money paid to the media forced them to be bias toward this large revenue source?

Anyway, remember.....................
    Igatieff not a Canadian? What!!

Where do the following Canadian icons reside ?

Wayne Gretzky....Pheonix
    Neil Young.......Los Angeles
    Mike Weir........Draper, Utah
    William Shatner........Los Angeles

Even hockey's greatest mumbly , Don "The Collar" Cherry worked / played in Rochester, NY and Boston, MA for years !!

They no longer Canadians, eh ?

Time will tell on this new Alberta Government.

Quote Originally Posted by whynow99 View Post
    Where do the following Canadian icons reside ?

Wayne Gretzky....Pheonix
    Neil Young.......Los Angeles
    Mike Weir........Draper, Utah
    William Shatner........Los Angeles
    [/B]
    The difference is these guys aren't running for PM, and they don't portray themselves as Americans. Neil Young for example, sang one of the most scathing attacks on a part of the US that has ever been sung. By contrast Ignatieff was going on about how America is "your country just as much as it is mine". Would the US still be "his" country after he is PM of Canada? Will he still operate "as our constitution requires us"? Its out of place for a Liberal leader given the normal anti-american thing that the Liberals espouse.

When in Rome, you should perhaps behave like a Roman, but you don't have to pretend to be a Roman in pompous speeches about how great Rome is.
    Last edited by moahunter; 16-04-2011 at 03:03 AM.

How long did he live in the US, moa?

^until he had an opportunity to lead the Liberals / try and become PM. Mercer summed it up well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky6sJ...eature=related

How many years, though?

^according to this one, 34 years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEgkF...eature=related

Missed:

- Terry Fox Run
    - Canadian constitution
    - Man in Motion Tour
    - Quebec referendum
    - Gretzky's career

I guess you are right, that does explain why he considers himself beholden to the US constitution, and would pick Bruce Springsteen for his theme (not like there are any Canadian bands he would know about...),

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^according to this one, 34 years
    Is 34 years enough to say he knows a country well, and could consider himself an American?

and would pick Bruce Springsteen for his theme (not like there are any Canadian bands he would know about...),
    The Boss transcends national boundaries :P

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBandit View Post
    Is 34 years enough to say he knows a country well, and could consider himself an American?
    I guess so if you have decided not to return. But then if that's the case, why do you want an American who feels bound by the US constitution to be Canadian PM? There aren't enough Canadian Liberals who could do a good job? Do you want Obama to run for Liberal leadership after he's finished his term? Or maybe Bill Clinton (he can't be up to much now)?

C2E Posting Power

Just to be correct, Neil Young lives on a ranch not far from San Francisco, not LA.

Nice to see someone like Iggy who has travelled and experienced the world and seen first hand how other countries tick, like Britain and USA etc......unlike Harpercrite who had not been out of Canada until us taxpayers have paid for him to venture past the Canadian borders.

Now it will be interesting to see if Harpercrite gets his former CONS Prime Ministers to come and support him. Lets see Bullroney would probably show up if Harpercrite met Lian Brian in a hotel room numerous times to pay him with envelopes of cash, then Bullroney can explain why he sold Canada off by chasing the likes of Massey Ferguson away plus things like giving our Challenger Jet industry away....oh ya, not only giving it away but paying them to take it by compensating them so some asbestos insulation in some of their manufacturing hangers. Perhaps Kim Campbell will come out to support Harpercrite, but what has she got to say except Bullroney bailed and left her to try and explain the huge debt he and his CONS left us taxpayers. Joe Clark has already stated he does not agree with the kind of CONS party Harpercrite is running.

Perhaps Harpercrite can dig up Diefenbaker to tell him how to run Canada......oh ya, Dief killed the Avero Arrow Airplane industry and put thousands of Canadians out of work..........who then had to go to the States to get a job in the airline industry, or starve.

Politicians are the same as bar tenders..........you know they are going to screw you out of money, so u just try and find ones who will do it the least. The CONS have continously shown they are the worst for over a century......the Liberals have had to clean up their financial debt messes time after time.

Have a good day and be sure to get out and vote.

"When will Canadians realize that STEPHEN HARPER IS A DANGER TO DEMOCRACY ??

First he keeps information and documents away from our elected Members of Parliament.

Then, he disrupts Committee proceedings and misleads Parliament.

After that, he follows a new tack of lying outright, and then deny and disputing the facts when confronted otherwise.

In this election, he limits questions, and has the RCMP investigate people who want to attend his rallies.

Now, he wants to deny University students their right to vote, because he knows they don't support his extreme ideological views and policies.

Time to get rid of this tin pot despot now.......and return Canada to being a true democracy......not a STEPHEN HARPER DICTATORSHIP !!"

Addicted to C2E

Canadians know Harper. They have not all been asleep and will suddenly realize something. They have known him since he was in opposition. They gave him a short leash . I cannot think of a time when the opposition has not been screaming Wolf at what they were going to do if they got in govt . I remember Paul Martin getting downright apoplectic in his speaches about the "Threat". The real question is how long the opposition scream wolf and it still have an effect?

Granted , Harper is not a "huggy bear" , He has a mean streak no doubt. and he has stuck it to the opposition in anyway he can . In a society which now values Ultimate fighting , hockey violence and Knock out reality shows , he probably resonates.

The main thrust of his actions have not trangressed into the daily life of the average Canadian. That is what a lot of Canadians want .That might explain where he sit's in the polls .

When Canadians are mad as hell , they won't take things any more . Just ask Kim Campbell.

Until then the polls are what they are , and probably for a fundemental reason . Voter ignorance not being one.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I guess so if you have decided not to return. But then if that's the case, why do you want an American who feels bound by the US constitution to be Canadian PM
    How is he bound by the US constitution? Why is it bad that he lived abroad and came back to Canada?

Further, I will not respond to the Obama/Clinton strawman because neither are Canadian.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Personally, I appreciate that Ignatieff hasn't lived in Canada 24/7 for his entire life.

And just because someone HAD to bring up the USA and their leadership, etc., dear old Arnold wasn't born in the USA, yet he was elected to public office and served for quite a long time. What's wrong with that? Sometimes it's nice to have an outsider with a fresh pair of eyes/ears to look over things... it's not as if the old eyes/ears have had any kind of positive effect on the country over the past decade.

I went to the rally.. it was VERY wel attended!

The hall wasn't large enough for everyone
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Funny original song "Hop on the Harper Train" on YouTube. Gotta check it out.
    Link:
    http://youtu.be/_9T238OragM

Can't believe Steve now for decades.............time to leave, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

Most fun I've had at a political rally in a while, awesome turnout!
    www.decl.org

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

Most fun I've had at a political rally in a while, awesome turnout!
    Take any pics?

Did anyone catch Ignatieff say, "I am a Democrat." During the televised debate? Right away he caught himself and started backpedaling, saying things like, "by that, I mean that I am a lover of democracy".

I thought that was a pretty funny time for those "American colors" of his to come out.

Regardless of the fact he lived out of the country so long, I don't want him nor his party's platform governing the country.