Thread: South Campus Expo map

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default South Campus Expo map

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

ANOTHER THREAD on Expo business? That's like 4 started this week alone.

^they all gotta go, this week only
    www.decl.org

The Expo sucks and anyone wasting their money on it is a sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    care to elaborate?
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

^^ trollbait

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    care to elaborate?

We're in a recession.
    The expo is geared towards oil and energy which isn't exactly a tourist draw.
    Spending money on tourist projects doesn't work. Just look at the Olympic village in Vancouver going broke.
    The area they wish to develop for the expo grounds would be better used making a community which will help connect the south side to downtown and is absolutely prime real estate. It's a waste to develop as anything else, especially when you guys are always talking about alleviating sprawl.
    Blowing wads of cash for construction projects that don't have any long term use is just stupid.

^ The land is for the university. Expo will build structures that will be used by the university afterwards. This isn't blowing wads of cash, as this will have a long term use.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Thats some trolling right there armin. I usually defend you. Come with a proper argument.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Thats some trolling right there armin. I usually defend you. Come with a proper argument.
    Read my other post.

I'm sick of watching people press this issue. The Expo is a ridiculous idea with zero ROA.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    ^ The land is for the university. Expo will build structures that will be used by the university afterwards. This isn't blowing wads of cash, as this will have a long term use.
    Why don't they just build functional buildings for the Uni straight up?
    Retrofitting them down the road will cost more financially.

I'd rather C2E than work!

because securing federal funding is hard. It's easier if you're throwing an international event which will be the centerpiece of Canada's 150th Birthday.

Addicted to C2E

I think it goes back to Ian's famous quote, "what kind of a City do we want to be"
    Sometimes it takes an event to direct attention at the City and at the very least put Edmonton on the radar. Expo is not just about three or four months of displays. It is about bringing people here that would not otherwise come to show off that we are here and we have the tools and the resources to accept investment and economic development. It also gives the City a huge boost in terms money. What may take 20 or 30 years to get funding, we would receive money right away to upgrade infrastructure, build buildings and clean up things we cant afford to clean up now. This is public money that is usually set aside to fund international events. Being a resident and tax-payer of Edmonton, it might as well come here. We have had the attitude of being fiscally conservative in addition to being overlooked by the province in favour Calgary and by the Feds in favour of their favorite five, that we have fallen behind. At the very least, this would bring us up to where we should be.
    In addition, the U of A is a huge economic driver in Edmonton. Not just because they are a major university, but they have become a incubator for R and D business. Expo will directly benefit the U of A which will benefit economic development in Edmonton.
    Edmonton is my City and I would rather see public money come here than going to Calgary and Toronto.
    Yes, there is a bit of a buzz in Edmonton and we are and will continue to move forward. But I think EXPO will boost us further and after that we will probably move forward at a faster pace.
    Last edited by Jasper; 19-11-2010 at 12:21 PM.

I want to live in a city that doesn't act like a needy little b.tch.

I came back here because I like this city being a little more 'down to earth' than Calgary.
    I like the fact that people aren't egomaniacs about what kind of cars they drive or what kind of restaurants they eat at. I've tried that lifestyle. It's just not for me.

Edmonton has so much more 'realism' than that and these types of 'show off' events are so phony that it comes off as desperate. I don't care about attracting corporate attention. We have a strong enough energy sector that it should be able to advertise itself on it's own merits.

All this money will do is wind up in the pockets of a handful of developers while we throw on some event that will not draw the kinds of crowds and attention needed to make the event worthwhile.

Addicted to C2E

^I know what you are saying, but EXPO could be looked at in a number of different ways:
    - part of a collective, country wide celebration of 150 years
    - Fast-tracking or excelerating development of the south campus
    - Marketing and recognizing our Region
    - Justification to fund overdue and needed projects, such as LRT, Capital Blvd, Rossdale. etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    ^I know what you are saying, but EXPO could be looked at in a number of different ways:
    - part of a collective, country wide celebration of 150 years
    - Fast-tracking or excelerating development of the south campus
    - Marketing and recognizing our Region
    - Justification to fund overdue and needed projects, such as LRT, Capital Blvd, Rossdale. etc...
    Those aren't good excuses.

Who are we marketing to?
    Who are we trying to bring here?
    How many of you made it to Shanghai for their expo?

We won't draw Europeans. They're a green market and don't care about oil.
    We won't draw people from the US. They're in a recession and can't afford vacations. Our best bet would be with the Asian market. They need resources and can afford it. You won't get a tourist draw however.

WTF is Capital Blvd and please tell me that's not a joke?

Quick. Someone haul out a crystal ball and tell us that there will still be a recession in 2017!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E

So, there is no point in replying^^

C2E Continued Contributor

I say if the city isn't headed in the direction you agree with, move.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Quote Originally Posted by jstock View Post
    I say if the city isn't headed in the direction you agree with, move.
    Why is it so wrong to want them do something for us rather than someone else? Businesses see quality whether it's financial or social, If we live in a city where we're happy, they're just as enticed to join us.

I can see a useful legacy of the buildings for the university, but as for the expo itself, I can't see any benefit.

The one is shanghai was 'successful' because there's a billion chinese, and it's a major city in china, and I suspect a lot of people in China search out that international experience, since they can't get it otherwise.

I just don't see who this would draw. It used to be a showcase for countries, new technologies, ideas, etc, but all that information is available on the web. Especially with the theme they're going for, I think attendance would be a complete dud compared to the previous 20 or so Expos.

It just seems like the majority of the motivation behind the bid is to get access to matching government dollars.

I live in a city where I'm happy. Don't you think that maybe decreasing commute times by building a new bridge, increasing housing options near the core, giving Edmontonians an event to be proud of, etc might show "them" that we live in a city where "we're" happy, and as a result they'll join us?

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    It just seems like the majority of the motivation behind the bid is to get access to matching government dollars.
    Quoting for maximum truthiness.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Ander View Post
    I live in a city where I'm happy. Don't you think that maybe decreasing commute times by building a new bridge, increasing housing options near the core, giving Edmontonians an event to be proud of, etc might show "them" that we live in a city where "we're" happy, and as a result they'll join us?
    What housing options are provided by the Expo plan?
    We'd do better off developing ourselves into the river valley.
    I don't think we need to prove anything to anyone.
    If we lead by example, they're bound to follow.

"It just seems like the majority of the motivation behind the bid is to get access to matching government dollars."

What's so bad about playing politics and receiving some dollars for city development?

Quote Originally Posted by Ander View Post
    What housing options are provided by the Expo plan?
    We'd do better off developing ourselves into the river valley.
    I don't think we need to prove anything to anyone.
    If we lead by example, they're bound to follow.
    Rossdale redevelopment is likely to go ahead with or without the Expo, but I have a feeling it'll happen sooner if there's an Expo next door.

May I ask how you propose we lead by example but not hold an international event which will bring in thousands or tourists?