Thread: Tires and snow clearing

Default Tires and snow clearing

Yesterday, I was driving our '08 honda CRv and sliding all over the place. I wasn't going fast but I was a hazard on the road.

I was also cursing the city yesterday for planning to spend big on expos, arenas etc. but never on decent and rapid snow removal.

Then - when I got home I took our older honda pilot out to get gas and realized most of my problems were from somewhat worn all-season tires on the CRv.

The Pilot has snow-flake rated Nokian all-seasons which drove beautifully in the snow - no sliding at all, while the CRv with its factory Bridgestone all seasons would slide and slide and slide.

So I guess in the future I'll have to watch blaming the City for faults that are really mine alone.

lol thanks for the chuckle.

For the record... the CoE does move more snow than any other city (not sure if it's the world or NA only).

A friend of mine did the whole "@#$&ing city did a crap job on the streets" the other day and I asked him what kind of winter tires he put on his car. After he gave me a blank look I asked him why he feels he's allowed to curse the city when he hasn't taken accountability for his own safety first.

Get winter tires or STFU.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I have resisted getting snow tired the last few years, but I'm totally sold on them now. They make such a huge difference. All Seasons are basically hockey pucks when it freezes. Defensive driving the modus operandi, but can't wait for snow tires. In one of the coldest driving climates, why I didn't do this sooner?!?
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by JBear View Post

For the record... the CoE does move more snow than any other city (not sure if it's the world or NA only).
    I find that very hard to believe. There are a lot of bigger cities in the East that get more snow than we do.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

An engineer at my work likes to call all seasons No seasons because they aren't good at anything. But if you want a tire that's good in snow,ice,rain, and handles well in the summer: Nokian WRG2's FTW!!! You can get them at Kal-tire and they are great!! This is my second season on them and I've been impressed the whole time.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian+WRG2

C2E Long Term Contributor

"the CoE does move more snow than any other city "

I find that hard to believe given the lack of snow we have relatively speaking, lack of plowing compared to ottawa, montreal.

Mind you we do have 3028048230498304283km of roads
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    "the CoE does move more snow than any other city "

I find that hard to believe given the lack of snow we have relatively speaking, lack of plowing compared to ottawa, montreal.

Mind you we do have 3028048230498304283km of roads
    har, we should have something like the debt clock they have in the states, but instead of dollars in debt, it shows off how many kms of roads we have.

another vote for the Nokian all weather tires. huge difference. they're rated as all seasons, but have the snow/ice rating as well (hence the 'all weather'). they can be used all year long.

I've been cursing at the tires on my Kia Forte that I bought 2 months ago - I've never bought winter tires before (never had a problem even with 10-15cm dumps of snow) but the Hankook Optimo all-seasons on the car are terrible in the snow / ice... trying to find a deal on winter tires right now along with the rest of the city. *sigh*

Simple solution to icy roads, don't drive.

works for me
    www.decl.org

I like your solution but my boss wouldn't!

Partially Addicted to C2E

works for me
    Kinda hard when that's what one does for a living....

I can't accept when people argue the city shouldn't pursue festivals, culture, arenas etc. just because some other aspects of city living aren't perfect.

Guess what - they will never be perfect. There are homeless people in every city, there are potholes in every city, there are problems in every city. The world has not found a solution to homelessness or litter, no matter how much money is thrown at it.

So we need to decide whether we want a city with homeless + potholes + imperfect snow removal but zero culture or attractions, or homeless + potholes + imperfect snow removal + some great attractions. I know where I'd rather live....

I'm not saying we should accept poor performance from the city, I'm just saying the reason for poor performance is not because we have a new art gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by burntearth View Post
    If you drive for a living shouldn't the merits of snow tires be a moot point to someone with your professional expertise?
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Just one accident that's your fault and you've probably covered the cost of a few pairs of newer all seasons or dedicated winter tires.

Hit someone or something and you face the loss of your deductible, higher insurance rates for an eternity (remember - they wrote the terms in the policy not you), and loss of value of one's vehicle plus possible valuable time spent dealing with cops, insurance companies, repair shops, paper work.... maybe even doctors and clinics or hospitals.

...And then there's the guilt if someone gets hurt.

My dream has always been to get a cheap little 4X4 beater just to drive around town in and then put some sort of great, soft rubber heavily STUDDED winter tires on it so it would be great on any surface.

Last winter was the first time I purchased winter tires, and I admit I use to be one of those that thought all seasons were good enough. Now I'm a 100% convert that you need dedicated winter tires, even if it's not the big name ones, any is better than nothing.
    I do notice a HUGE difference. It's a fact that the rubber on all seasons do not perform safely when the temperature drops to -7 or lower. And it may seem like a lot to buy a second set of tires, but in the long term you save more money since you are switching them out every 5-6 months.
    I think we need to do what Quebec did and make it a law to have winter tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JBear View Post

I find that very hard to believe. There are a lot of bigger cities in the East that get more snow than we do.
    Sorry I don't have any hard proof to back this up

It is something I did hear from a conference I was at about 1 or 2 months ago from a CoE Roadway Maintenance employee.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burntearth View Post
    If you drive for a living shouldn't the merits of snow tires be a moot point to someone with your professional expertise?
    While I agree they're important, my point was in response to IanO's comment about not driving. Some of us are forced to drive in poor weather, as that's our job. Simply "not driving" is not an appropriate answer...that's all I was getting at.

^mine was tongue in cheek if you will.

More of a comment for those who choose to drive rather than are required to.
    www.decl.org

works for me
    What? You only race in the summer? No ice racing?