Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winspear Expansion | Under Construction

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Winspear Expansion | Under Construction

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmo.../16097856.html

More rehearsal space, a centre for youth programming and a housing complex for seniors who have worked in the arts are just some of the expansion plans being considered at the Winspear Centre, says its executive director.

Annemarie Petrov, however, says plans to expand the entire back end of the downtown Winspear are still in the preliminary stages.

Initial plans, says Petrov, could see the entire parking lot east of the building wiped out and replaced with studios, recital spaces and living accommodations.

Developing the parking lot could require months of consultations with the public, artists and the entire arts community, says Petrov.

“Many groups have already identified that there is a need for smaller performance spaces,” said Petrov.

“The Winspear holds up to 1,900 people and that’s a fairly a big space to fill, and for a lot of the groups (in Edmonton), that’s too large.

“It’s been identified that a small recital hall could be very valuable in the city.”

Petrov says there’s also a need for housing spaces for arts-focused seniors.
    Petrov wouldn’t comment on how much the entire expansion would cost, but a consultation process to build the addition could hover around $150,000.

Officials with the Winspear will be asking city council to partially pay for the studies, which could include a conceptual plan.
    How about a high-rise to accommodate all of the above?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmo.../16097856.html

More rehearsal space, a centre for youth programming and a housing complex for seniors who have worked in the arts are just some of the expansion plans being considered at the Winspear Centre, says its executive director.

Annemarie Petrov, however, says plans to expand the entire back end of the downtown Winspear are still in the preliminary stages.

Initial plans, says Petrov, could see the entire parking lot east of the building wiped out and replaced with studios, recital spaces and living accommodations.

Developing the parking lot could require months of consultations with the public, artists and the entire arts community, says Petrov.

“Many groups have already identified that there is a need for smaller performance spaces,” said Petrov.

“The Winspear holds up to 1,900 people and that’s a fairly a big space to fill, and for a lot of the groups (in Edmonton), that’s too large.

“It’s been identified that a small recital hall could be very valuable in the city.”

Petrov says there’s also a need for housing spaces for arts-focused seniors.
    Petrov wouldn’t comment on how much the entire expansion would cost, but a consultation process to build the addition could hover around $150,000.

Officials with the Winspear will be asking city council to partially pay for the studies, which could include a conceptual plan.
    How about a high-rise to accommodate all of the above?
    Why do they need a high-rise?

C2E SME

I like the idea of something related, like smaller recital halls. Properly done, that would really enhance the Winspear.

Of course, we could have a fighting arena for UFC tilts...
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'd rather C2E than work!

hopefully whatever they build is not finished with silver metal and blond brick or stone as much a one architect in this city loves those as their preferred envelope finishes
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    hopefully whatever they build is not finished with silver metal and blond brick or stone as much a one architect in this city loves those as their preferred envelope finishes
    We wouldn't want it to match the existing building or the rest of the Civic Quarter, would we?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Of course, we could have a fighting arena for UFC tilts...
    Hahaha it would have been cool if it went through
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

I would love to see something similar to this with a market condo tower on top.

(http://www.toronto.ca/tuda/winners/2...t%20School.jpg)
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^ This is the National Ballet School in Toronto surrounded by a development called "Radio City". (The condos on the left side and at the rear of the picture.) Note the new vs old, which is not a requirement for the Winspear project. This design would definitely look good on the east side of the Winspear.

Might want to dig up an image of the Opera Hall in Toronto which was build in the early part of the decade. I would but I'm all thumbs posting images here.

BTW, it's called "Radio City" because these old buildings were part of the national studios for CBC before they moved to the Front Street complex twenty years ago. However, the Red Lion, the pub that Lloyd Robertson used to fuel up at before doing the National in the 70s is still pouring libations across the street.
    Last edited by PJC; 13-11-2010 at 12:46 PM.

C2E SME

Well because the Winspear is not that old and I don't think it would be too difficult to duplicate the existing facade. I can imagine any addition will simply look like further extension to the current building, especially at ground level. I think the only thing that would be nice though is I would hope that they could find a way for the building to interact with pedestrians a little bit better. I'm also curious where they plan on relocating the stage door. Also, I wonder if they intend to have some of their own parking or will they be relying on parking from around the rest of the area?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Expanding the Winspear could only be a plus. Rather than just a concert hall it could evolve more towards being a Performing Arts Centre that compliments the Citadel across the street.

Also one less vacant lot in the core

^exactly, er bingo! One less lot, much better street interaction, and wonderful new performance and venue spaces.
    www.decl.org

Ok. This is the Four Seasons Centre in Toronto. On University between Queen and Richmond. For some perspective on what design could be east of Winspear.
    Last edited by PJC; 15-11-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Addicted to C2E

That picture reminds me of the old bugs bunny bit where the construction worker could not flush em out ...so they ended up with this concrete bunny tower thats surrronded by a new building.....lol
    Funny but only in cartoon, in reality it's a lazy idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercucio View Post

Ok. This is the Four Seasons Centre in Toronto. On University between Queen and Richmond. For some perspective on what design could be east of Winspear.
    It should be noted that the Queen Street facade of the Four Seasons (the street on the far left of the picture, going 'away' from the viewer) is a wasted opportunity that presents passersby with advertisements, brick, and no storefronts.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Default Request for Expressions of Interest

An update on this project:

As the Francis Winspear Centre for Music celebrates its 15th year as one of Edmonton’s arts jewels in the downtown core, the organization is seeking to fulfill long-term needs identified by the community for an additional performance hall of 400 to 600 seats, studio space, and improved support space for the entire facility. This expansion will allow increased capacity for education, outreach, and partnership with businesses and other arts organizations, while enhancing the city’s cultural vibrancy. What is now a surface parking lot will be transformed into a mixed-use building that combines commercial, residential or hotel uses with approximately 40,000 square feet of cultural expansion space.

The Winspear Centre is inviting qualified developers to submit Expressions of Interest for development of the expansion site through a public/private partnership.

The site is located in the heart of Edmonton’s Downtown Arts District, on the west side of 97 Street between 102 and 102A Avenues, within walking distance of City Hall, Canada Place, the Shaw Conference Centre, Churchill Square and the River Valley. It also sits on the doorstep of the newly approved Downtown Quarters redevelopment area. The site is accessible by car, bus, LRT and the pedway system.

The expansion reinforces the Winspear Centre’s long-term strategic plan to increase community impact and engagement, viability, and operational capacity as Edmonton furthers its revitalization of downtown and strengthens the already vibrant Arts district.

The Request for Expressions of Interest document is available here: http://www.winspearcentre.com/expansion/

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...849/story.html
    EDMONTON - The Winspear Centre helped change the face of downtown Edmonton when it opened in 1997.

Now the performing arts centre is preparing for an encore — an expansion that would turn a parking lot on the building’s east side into a 400- to 600-seat hall, studio and support space.

Besides more than 40,000 square feet of cultural expansion space, the new development is also expected to house a mixed-use facility for commercial, residential or hotel uses. What goes in the space depends on the developer which eventually partners with the Winspear.

The Francis Winspear Centre for Music has put out a call for developers to submit expressions of interest for the expansion through a public-private partnership (P3). Developing the centre’s back end was first proposed about four years ago as part of the centre’s strategic plan.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Looking forward to this one... arts hotel or artist lofts would be great.
    www.decl.org

I wonder if this could somehow be combined with a new tower east of Century Place for city workers?

Not large enough of a site I dont think.... plus i'd prefer that in the core or on Jasper.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

It would be really nice to have this project move forward. That would also mean one less parking lot in the core.

Interesting form
    www.decl.org

The 97street side looks to be lacking in interest. 97 street should be serious player in the redevelopment of the core. This doesn't appear terribly helpful.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

rather poor podium

C2E SME

The podium could be good, I would like to see a street level view.

Only a place holder.

Like the height, the stepping back on green roof would be fine. The rest looks like the product of cheap and quick conceptual massing design.

Like DanC mentioned, this is only a placeholder at best. The City is receiving proposals from various parties that will hire their own architect and propose their own plan for the site.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Like DanC mentioned, this is only a placeholder at best. The City is receiving proposals from various parties that will hire their own architect and propose their own plan for the site.
    The Winspear consulting team is not the City.

The Winspear folks retained a project manager for this future project, which is Parioplan.

Had a glimpse of the Winspear expansion last night...

Reminded me a bit of the Toronto Performing Arts Centre if looking from 97st/102ave north. Retail along 97st and a cool car elevator on the north side for a few hundred cars.

(http://tayloronhistory.files.wordpre...4/dscn1140.jpg)

Apparently 2016 start, 2019 finish.
    www.decl.org

So what exactly would be included in this expansion? More performance space for musicians and retail along 97th Street I guess, but is there also a condo component?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

No condo, performance/rehearsal space and retail + parking.
    www.decl.org

So the tower component that was shown in that concept previously is gone?
    Don't feed the trolls!

Partially Addicted to C2E

Hard to argue with that as a model. Any opportunity to liven 97 Street further is very welcome, especially since it is such a natural for pedestrian only.

Why would they build this expansion after the proposal for the arts centre on station lands property? Doesn't all those theatres that they wish to build render this proposal pointless?

^Nope

What organizations such as the opera are in constant need of is rehearsal space at a price less than a full-blown theatre.

This will have that - plus housing for - at least used to be - artists.

The Galleria proposal as I understand it, doesn't include either of the above.
    ... gobsmacked

and anyone in the biz can explain why one space does not suit all..

the new arts area will have a sprung floor stage for Alberta Ballet. This will fill a very badly needed gap.

Winspear concert hall has some of the best acoustics in the world. Great for concerts and opera.... The Jube is really a great stage play space, the acoustics are not meant for opera nor the floor for dance.

It's pretty much impossible to create a one space for all... and the new arts area will be heavily utilized by the university.

as for a large scale artist residence/co op.. this is badly needed see this. http://arcadiatoronto.com/ This co op houses some of Canada's premier arts talent. My friends ex is an international opera singer and voice coach who lives here. The building host events and art shows it also also for synergies between creators.

This expansion is a very exciting proposal and very different from the galleria.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 13-09-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

We desperately need more musical performance, practice and rehersal space that is top tier and high class.

In a prior life (not literally of course) I was a jazz musician and spent lots of time in the performance spaces around town. This is absolutely needed. The spaces for the galleria project are more general theater in terms of what they are catering towards. And with the UofA potentially moving (and expanding) their music program downtown, GrantMac moving their arts program (which includes their music program) downtown we will see a huge influx of high class musicians who will be involved with numerous projects at the winspear and more rehersal space for orchestras, opera groups, big bands, and the like along with smaller spaces that are suited to jazz musicians will be a huge huge huge benefit to both these programs and the city as a whole. Edmonton is already a destination for kids looking at music programs. Lets improve the number, size and quality of spaces available for them so that we can expand the music programs here and really draw quality talent in AND KEEP IT! The more musicians we have in the area with a higher density the more cool projects will come out of it. And of course the more shows we will have and the number of venues that cater to their shows will also increase because there will be a demand from not only musicians to check out other musicians but also other people in the community...

Critical mass people!!

I for one love this expansion and if it look like what Ian posted it will be amazing. The jazz, classical, opera, and experimental music scene is going to explode with all these projects coming online. That is damn exciting!! WOOOO

^ just to expand on your thoughts...

Jube/Citadel - Theater/stage orientated.

Winspear - Music orientated

Galleria - Stage and DANCE!!

( I really see the galleria being a main reason to draw Alberta Ballet back to Edmonton as it's main HQ) Which was snatched away when Alberta Ballet merged with Calgary Ballet.

The organization’s roots were planted in the early 1950s by the late Dr. Ruth Carse before taking its official name of Alberta Ballet in 1966 in Edmonton, Canada. In 1990, Alberta Ballet and Calgary City Ballet merged into the company it is today. The organization’s main administration headquarters are located in the Nat Christie Centre – a renovated train station – in Calgary, Canada. Alberta Ballet has numerous other operating locations, including a box office on 17th Avenue in Calgary, an administrative and box office on Whyte Avenue in Edmonton, and a 10,000 square foot warehouse in Southeast Calgary that contains existing sets and is used to build new ones. The official training centre of Alberta Ballet, the School of Alberta Ballet, attracts students from around the world every year and has amassed a reputation as Western Canada’s preeminent ballet institution. - See more at: http://www.albertaballet.com/about-a....JuLPVVP5.dpuf

Having Alberta Ballet back in the capital where it belongs will be a huge win fro Edmonton and a state of the art facility would go a long way to make this happen.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    ^ just to expand on your thoughts...

Jube/Citadel - Theater/stage orientated.

Winspear - Music orientated

Galleria - Stage and DANCE!!

( I really see the galleria being a main reason to draw Alberta Ballet back to Edmonton as it's main HQ) Which was snatched away when Alberta Ballet merged with Calgary Ballet.

The organization’s roots were planted in the early 1950s by the late Dr. Ruth Carse before taking its official name of Alberta Ballet in 1966 in Edmonton, Canada. In 1990, Alberta Ballet and Calgary City Ballet merged into the company it is today. The organization’s main administration headquarters are located in the Nat Christie Centre – a renovated train station – in Calgary, Canada. Alberta Ballet has numerous other operating locations, including a box office on 17th Avenue in Calgary, an administrative and box office on Whyte Avenue in Edmonton, and a 10,000 square foot warehouse in Southeast Calgary that contains existing sets and is used to build new ones. The official training centre of Alberta Ballet, the School of Alberta Ballet, attracts students from around the world every year and has amassed a reputation as Western Canada’s preeminent ballet institution. - See more at: http://www.albertaballet.com/about-a....JuLPVVP5.dpuf

Having Alberta Ballet back in the capital where it belongs will be a huge win fro Edmonton and a state of the art facility would go a long way to make this happen.
    I believe they left because they could not get sponsorship here much like the Indy.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

I am sure that no one will say that someone has this idea.. but to me it just makes too much sense.

Financial trouble dogged the organization for years.. and clearly became a real issue during the Klein years. (big surprise)

I suspect that the coup (if it happens) will start with an associate school being reopened in Edmonton.

C2E SME

This would be very nice to see. I've been waiting so long to see that parking lot disappear and the space filled in behind the Winspear. This can only help and improve the area as well as help the performing arts community.

as an aside, i love the front of the winspear. the design has aged wonderfully. it's simple, classic, graceful. i love it at night, when it's all lit up.

Very happy to hear this! From what Ian expounded, it will be a nice addition as I'm aware of the one in TO.

Curious to see who is behind it.
    www.decl.org

Anyone know timelines for an announcement? Or is this so far down the pipeline it is dream world?

^^
    possible private funding-philanthropy

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Anyone know timelines for an announcement? Or is this so far down the pipeline it is dream world?
    If you read above... 2016 start, 2019 finish
    www.decl.org

Caught a sneak peak at the new proposal, nice addition, lots of street fronting retail proposed, cool mech car park. Goes to EDC soon.
    www.decl.org

Ian, is mech car park viable here, or is it pie-in-the-sky thinking that won't actually happen?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Covered, heated parking is getting valuable here and the cost of a structure and mechanized system is being looked at by more than a few instead of going down...
    www.decl.org

It's quite common in europe and asia so the systems are getting cheaper and more robust every generation. And because of the density it allows they can pay for themselves quite rapidly all things considered. Initial cost outlays are definitely more but there is less floor space that is waste by them too. -> *If this is a silo like design*

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Ian, is mech car park viable here, or is it pie-in-the-sky thinking that won't actually happen?
    People pay $250+ a month to park in covered unheated.

Pre-consult presentation at EDC on Jan 21

PRE-CONSULTATION PRESENTATION (Closed to the Public)

C.4. 19:30 The Winspear Centre Expansion
    ATB Architecture - Rui Nakao
    http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ry21Agenda.pdf
    Don't feed the trolls!

Are there any preliminary renders yet Scottie or those privy to such info?

Not public, but they are kicking around here and there...
    www.decl.org

Thanks IO! Hopefully she'll come forth to the public soon then.

C2E SME

wow, well that would be interesting to see if another construction project were to start in the core.

This came in the mail today as a part of the ESO newsletter. In the Executive Director's message on a different page it says "We are progressing with our Winspear Expansion Plans, currently consulting with stakeholders to ensure that our architects and builders understand our community's space and usage needs. We will be submitting a Business Plan to the City of Edmonton next fall for approval to move ahead with the project".

Winspear Expansion by fumidity, on Flickr
    Last edited by IanO; 01-03-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Will be very nice to have retail on both sides of 97th again. Hopefully a little life can creep up 102 Avenue as well.

Hope the performance hall has permanent seats and stage, and isn't a black box theatre.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

this will go very very well with the edacc!!

C2E SME

This will be great for 97 Street.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

This will be an amazing addition to the arts district. I look forward to seeing that parking lot filled.

Fantastic addition.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Very nice!!

Looks good!
    I'm assuming the residence (or whatever the tower was) portion has been removed?

An automated parkade? As in with automated gates? For over 500 cars too. That's pretty big. This will really add to 97 Street. I would even consider making a donation to make this happen.

Administrator *

^ Not automated gates. More like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_parking_system

Very please with this.

I only just realised the above image is a rendering for the expansion!

At first I thought it was the original 1996 structure.

Looks marvin.

Hope it also includes a ticketable entrance/lobby-space for the existing rehearsal hall. The rehearsal hall is an okay venue for an event as long as the event doesn't need a lobby.

C2E SME

I hope this moves forward sooner than later. It will only help the area be more and more attractive. I would hope that some other small restaurants that have some small performance spaces will start moving into the area, especially in the block between the Winspear and the RAM.

www.decl.org

Looks fabulous.
    Almost always open to debate...

Love it. Parking and lease revenues help sustain the arts, while the streetscape gets active use from the shops plus needed parking. Super idea to lift the hall up to the 2nd floor, to leave the ground floor for all-day paying uses.

Edit - actually looks like the hall is on the third floor, with the lobby on the Second. Excellent use of space!

Wonder about the shape and details of the hall inside.
    Last edited by JayBee; 01-12-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Love it!!!!

Looks wonderful. How long before they start building?

Funding and fundraising required.
    www.decl.org

Looks great!

Is there a gap between the tower and the winspear expansion on the north end of the lot? The rendering shows cars between them (some of the surface lot looks to be still there)

C2E SME

My guess is that for the north end, that will be reserved for the stage door as well. As well the loading dock is there and they can't get rid of that.

I love all the retail spaces all along 97St. and around the corner. That would be awesome and would help that area so much.

My only issue is that it isn't already under construction.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Funding and fundraising required.
    That will be rather tough for the next two or three years, shame as the design is interesting
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

I think this could be one of the nicest buildings downtown in a few years. I love it. I hope they manage to get this rolling ASAP.

C2E SME

^I second that. This building would help further tie the Quarters to the rest of downtown.

Other Tuesday budget highlights

Several other budget decisions were also made on Tuesday, including:

Council also approved $3.75 million to fund the Winspear Centre expansion. The centre plans to turn a parking lot on 97th Street into a performance theatre with a childcare centre and other cultural space.
    Source

This is ahead of where I thought it was. A project well steered.

97th Street is on the rise.

Again.

It looks like a massive project. How much would this baby cost? Looks costly. But I love it all the same.

Just guessing $50M. Some may be financed by parking revenues.

First One is Always Free

When I look at the potential future proliferation of theater spaces (Galleria, Macewan U, Jube with anchor tenants loss to Galleria) I just don't see absorption. There will be a lot of spaces running with low optimization.

Do it, do it now!
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

^I agree. Get this built now!!!!

Completion Project - Background
    Over the last few years, the Centre has made strides in advancing the Completion
    Project for the Centre. The completion of this project will create expanded cultural,
    educational, and social outreach programming for the whole community.
    More activity in the downtown core helps the City meet its goals to invigorate tourism,
    support an arts-rich community by providing additional revenue streams for the Centre
    and local artists, and promote downtown revitalization with safe all-season connections
    between Churchill Square and the Quarters.
    Consultation
    In 2012 stakeholders were consulted to provide input on the proposed Centre’s
    Completion Project and to explore programming and space gaps in the local market.
    The stakeholders consulted were local arts and culture organizations and non-profit
    groups. The valuable feedback received through the consultation helped shape the
    development of the initial concept for the Completion Project.
    The Completion Project will meet the current Master Lease Agreement requirements,
    although the Master Lease will need to be renegotiated once the construction phase for
    the Project is completed.
    The Completion Project will fulfill the original vision for the Centre, and address its longterm
    arts space and arts programming needs and builds capacity to generate new and
    sustainable sources of revenue at the Centre.
    Business Case Approvals
    Two business cases for the Completion Project were developed by the Centre and
    submitted to City of Edmonton for review and approval.
    The business case for the concept development design phase was submitted and
    approved by City Administration in 2013; and the business case for the schematic
    design phase, which excluded the Robo Parkade Component of the Completion Project,
    was submitted to the City in the fall of 2014 for consideration in the City’s 2015-2018
    capital budget.
    In the schematic design phase business case, the Centre identified a $13 million funding
    request of the City of Edmonton as 25% share in costs between other orders of
    government for Component One of the Completion Project.
    Project Scope, Costs and Components
    The Centre’s Completion Project will remain within the current lease agreement
    boundary. The overall project is estimated to cost $78 million, which will include two
    major components:
    1. Component One Includes $53 million towards the following:
    • 540-seat flex-use acoustic hall equipped with technology to rapidly
    transform between a flat floor to raked seating;

• Six multi-purpose programming spaces (divisible studio, two classrooms,
    a Discovery Centre with open stage and gathering area), multiple larger
    and smaller spaces for performances or special events (e.g. grand stair,
    lobbies);
    • Commercial bays along 97 Street including space for a 4000 square foot
    daycare operated in partnership with the YMCA.
    2. Component Two Includes $25 million toward a 380-stall automated Robo
    Parkade;
    • Public access within the existing facility creates pedestrian connectivity
    through the Francis Winspear Centre for Music linking the new automated
    Robo Parkade and the existing pedway network.
    Completion Project – Phasing
    • 2013 concept development design phase competed;
    • 2014 schematic design phase completed;
    • 2015 design development/construction ready drawings phase completed;
    • 2016 to 2018 construction phase.
    • 2019 Grand Opening - New Centre.
    Fundraising Campaign 2015-2018
    The City of Edmonton’s release of $3.75 million to the Centre for the design
    development/construction ready drawings phase in 2015 will trigger the Centre’s official
    fundraising campaign for the Completion Project.
    The City of Edmonton’s approval of an additional $9.25 million for the Centre would
    round out the City’s funding commitments to $13 million.
    The City’s financial support for the design development/construction ready drawings
    phase and potential funding for the construction phase to the Completion Project assists
    the Centre in their ability to leverage funding from other orders of government to the
    project between 2016 through to 2018.

www.edmonton.ca
    www.decl.org

I am really excited for this!! Every time I have had a chance to play at the Winspear has been amazing, one of the 5 best sounding spaces I have ever been in! The projection is just so damn good, and not nearly as clinical as many of the modern concert halls I've been in. Still intimate yet precise. Just such a damn good job!

That would be fantastic if it stays on schedule.

It would be nice to see a better pedway connection between Winspear & the Citadel, something that doesn't involve going through the library parkade. Or, separating the pedway component somehow.

C2E SME

There definitely needs to be a improvement for pedway link but I think that wont happen until LRT construction takes place and really the main issue is not with the Winspear but with the Library and the Citadel.

When is the expected start date again?

Refer to the post above with, you know, the information.
    www.decl.org

My bad! I didn't read thatt as i just responded... Thanks Ian!

From May E-Newsletter,

City Council approves grant for Winspear Completion Project
    We are thrilled to share with you that Edmonton City Council has officially approved the $13 Million grant for the Francis Winspear Centre for Music Completion Project, and unanimous approval of our request for a loan of $25 Million for the Automated Parkade component.
    To learn more about this project, please visit our website.
    Thank you for your continued support as we embark on the next phase of this exciting endeavor to make our home a true centre for the future of music in our community!
    -Edmonton Symphony Orchestra & Winspear Centre
    Last edited by Trang; 30-04-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast