Thread: Candidate Amarjeet Sohi

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Candidate Amarjeet Sohi

This thread is to ask questions of Candidate Amarjeet Sohi Councillor Ward 12.

All members are asked to allow the Candidate to post first in his or her thread. This is to allow the Candidate ample opportunity to introduce their background, platform, and any other information they may feel is pertinent to this discussion.

All decorum expected of members in the C2E Ask Forums will be expected here. An addendum is that posters may ask as many questions as they wish, but they are also politely asked to follow any instructions on posting or reply timelines that the Candidate expresses.

Thank you to all for participating in the 2010 Connect2Edmonton Election Forum!

First One is Always Free

Default Amarjeet Sohi - Ward 12

First, thank you to Connect2Edmonton for providing such a valuable forum.

I have been proud to represent the southeast for the past three years, and I am running for re-election in Ward 12. I outline some of my priorities below, but I encourage you to visit sohi.ca for my full platform.

Transit is one of my driving passions, and I am proud to report that the LRT route to Mill Woods, after many years of delays, has been finally approved. This Council has already made a commitment that that the construction of the LRT to Mill Woods will be the next LRT project. I am confident that with the continuing support of the province and federal government, we can start the construction of this line very soon.

We have also made significant investments into the bus system. The opening of the Meadows Transit Centre has improved access to downtown, university, NAIT and West Edmonton Mall. New bus service has commenced in Summerside, Ellerslie, Wild Rose, Silverberry and Tamarack. But more needs to be done, and I will continue to advocate for better bus connections to LRT stations and for improving weekend and evening bus service.

Community services like recreation centres, libraries, parks and trails are the foundations of building a strong and healthy community. Im proud that with the support of my Council colleagues I was able to secure funding for a new rec centre and a new library in the Meadows. We are also building a stand-alone, expended library at Mill Woods Town Centre.

I also sat on the Mayors Task Force on Community Safety, and through that work we are investing more in prevention and education. I strongly believe that investing in the prevention of homelessness, drug addictions, marginalization, panhandling, and mental health issues is the most cost effective of making our community a safe place to live, work and play.

Within the past few years, I and my Council colleagues have put tremendous effort into developing a vision for this city, a vision that sees LRT running to Mill Woods and other parts of the city, a public transit system that is a preferred mode of transportation, a city that is a leader in environmental sustainability, a city that has thriving recreational and cultural facilities, a city that is caring, affordable and inclusive.

I have shown leadership and determination to make that vision a reality and Im asking for your support to keep us moving in the right direction.

I would welcome your comments, questions or concerns. Please feel free to discuss anything I've raised, or any other issues or concerns you may have. I look forward to your feedback!

The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum