Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: River Valley Gondola - Bridging the City

Quote Originally Posted by RedDog View Post
    Um, we're drowning in debt. How about pave the streets first.
    Think of it as a chance to fly over all the potholes.

C2E SME

The gondola will be another way to enjoy the river valley. Also, the connection with the High Level streetcar will be great.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Now you're being far too sensible..!
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    And completely wrong, but facts never matter to you.

No, like you, they are being far too uninformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    And completely wrong, but facts never matter to you.
    As Tom Waits said, "the way you do anything is the way you do everything"

No matter which thread H.L. posts; H.L. cannot even understand basic facts, does not read, only looks at headlines, cannot follow a discussion and is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

She could get a job at the White House....
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Uh oh, brace for an attack, PRT!

I’m excited by the possibility of this project, and I hope it gets built. I’m a bit worried that there will be fights over privacy once it passes by apartments/condos.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    So tell reddog, no, you'd rather jump on my post, bully boy! Join the rest of therm. The gondola will be the same mess the funicle is..
    But then you have so much $$$$$$$
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post

I知 excited by the possibility of this project, and I hope it gets built. I知 a bit worried that there will be fights over privacy once it passes by apartments/condos.
    Isn't he in Montreal, why would that clowns opinion matter? Egotistical ****
    Animals are my passion.

I知 excited by the possibility of this project, and I hope it gets built. I知 a bit worried that there will be fights over privacy once it passes by apartments/condos.
    If that does become an issue I hope the city/whoever has to deal with it reaches out to other municipalities that have similiar issues. I'm thinking Vancouver's Skytrain, Chicago's transit goes like 20 ft from people's apartment windows, etc. This isn't a unique problem, so I hope they don't try to come up with some convoluted homegrown solution.

So tell reddog, no, you'd rather jump on my post, bully boy! Join the rest of therm. The gondola will be the same mess the funicle is..
    Hey whiny baby, Ken addressed Reddog's incorrect assumption already, I am addressing yours since you decided to pile on and are apparently incapable of living in reality, being up to date, let alone educated on a topic and using the facts in front of you to actually form an educated opinion.

Great another nonsense statement to address; How is the funicular a mess? Please explain another assertion from whatever make believe land you live in.

I'm not sure what my personal wealth would have to do with any of this, especially the gondala, considering the only money that I would contribute to it (as it is privately funded at this point...which you ignore, because facts aren't relevant to you) is if it gets built and I choose to use it.

I’m excited by the possibility of this project, and I hope it gets built. I’m a bit worried that there will be fights over privacy once it passes by apartments/condos.
    Hey aren't you in St. Albert? Why does your opinion matter? Egotistical ****

If we are going to play the "I live in the City effected" game, let's draw the lines at the actual City, no?

If we are going to play the "I live in the City effected" game, let's draw the lines at the actual City, no?
    If you want, better still , keep your piehole shut. You're not the only one entitled to an opinion, we'll be in Edmonton tonight and Saturday, when do you expect Montreal man?

Our taxes have been poured into Edmonton since 1972, so will I say something, you betcha! Dan ****
    Animals are my passion.

Hey whiny baby, Ken addressed Reddog's incorrect assumption already, I am addressing yours since you decided to pile on and are apparently incapable of living in reality, being up to date, let alone educated on a topic and using the facts in front of you to actually form an educated opinion.

Great another nonsense statement to address; How is the funicular a mess? Please explain another assertion from whatever make believe land you live in.

I'm not sure what my personal wealth would have to do with any of this, especially the gondala, considering the only money that I would contribute to it (as it is privately funded at this point...which you ignore, because facts aren't relevant to you) is if it gets built and I choose to use it.
    How many times has the glass been replaced in the funicular, how many times have people gone, only to find it not running, or broken down. What about the stop button idiots press..etc etc etc. Why can't someone mention the horrible roads, they pay taxes as well. ****!
    Animals are my passion.

Wow this site. The admin should really enforce the community guidelines.

Look. People may think it痴 novel but area tramways are a very real form of transportation. Look at Disney world... their new massive system is about to start moving people. I also have a Swiss friend who is extremely familiar with this type of transportation.

I know we see it as a novelty. A thing that belongs on ski hills or as a tourist activity but at the core they move people and that functionality can be applied
    Many different ways.

If you want, better still , keep your piehole shut. You're not the only one entitled to an opinion, we'll be in Edmonton tonight and Saturday, when do you expect Montreal man?
    Wow! Just WOW! Gotta watch your back Dan

Triggered much H.L.?

Hello Lady goes on full attack mode and tells posters to "keep your piehole shut" when you express your opinion. That is the dictionary definition of a bigot - a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

I may live in Montreal but was born and raised in Edmonton and lived there most of my life. I visit Edmonton regularly and always want the best for my hometown. The low risk, privately financed gondola project is an important first step in proving the viability of this form of urban transit that is efficient, environmentally friendly, effective and economical, that has proven itself in over 100 years of safe operation and beneficial to urban transport networks such as the many in South America.

BTW, speaking of Montreal, Montreal had a successful gondola, built 50 years ago

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 03-05-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

i'm not sure why the privacy thing should be an issue - it's no different than a bus driving by your house or your townhome.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

i'm not sure why the privacy thing should be an issue - it's no different than a bus driving by your house or your townhome.
    Not a problem at all

Some gondolas and Automated People Mover systems use switchable smart glass that turns opaque automatically when nearing areas needing privacy.

http://gondolaproject.com/2011/03/28...t-panjang-lrt/

Edmonton has a deep routed culture of back yard nude sun bathing don稚 you know?!

I grew up in a small town, I have no concept of privacy. Everybody knew everyone痴 business. Lol

Prt that痴 really cool! Re the windows

LOL if it got stuck right near your condo, eww ,
    Animals are my passion.

C2E SME

Once the gondola is built, I think a shuttle bus similar to Fort Edmonton would be great. It could be a circle route starting at Rossdale, going west to Hawrelak Park, back to the U of A, continuing east to Rossdale, onto the Muttart LRT stop, northbound to the Edmonton Queen, Edmonton Convention Centre, turning around at Jasper Avenue, and returning to Rossdale.

Sure, if a private operator wants to provide the shuttle service, great!

Otherwise it would be a very expensive and underused route IMHO, and should not be an ETS route.

Didn't someone report a drone up high ? I'm betting there are more of those than anyone notices..
    Animals are my passion.

Our taxes have been poured into Edmonton since 1972, so will I say something, you betcha! Dan ****
    Hahaha. You are a joke that's always good for a laugh.

Hahaha. You are a joke that's always good for a laugh.
    Good Dan , good ha ha ha.. you're a total joke as well...
    Not always good for a laugh though, because your sense of humor, is null and void..
    Animals are my passion.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I really wish C2E had a moderator.
    添ou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Sorry SDM, I no longer moderate this forum because I don't want to deal with this kind of crap anymore. I wish a certain level of intelligence was required to participate on this forum.

Hollow Lady is acting like an echo chamber, repeating posts that she likes and not putting any thought into what she says.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Sorry SDM, I no longer moderate this forum because I don't want to deal with this kind of crap anymore. I wish a certain level of intelligence was required to participate on this forum.

Hollow Lady is acting like an echo chamber, repeating posts that she likes and not putting any thought into what she says.
    It is no longer fun, living in your parents basement?
    If I like a post, why can't I agree
    Please Tom, block my posts, you joyless soul.
    Animals are my passion.

H.L. wants the private company that is proposing to build a gondola at their expense to use their money to fix city potholes instead.

ThomasH, I believe the reason that H.L.'s posts are so out of step is because she blocks many posters and that just reinforces her own echo chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Triggered much H.L.?

Hello Lady goes on full attack mode and tells posters to "keep your piehole shut" when you express your opinion. That is the dictionary definition of a bigot - a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

I may live in Montreal but was born and raised in Edmonton and lived there most of my life. I visit Edmonton regularly and always want the best for my hometown. The low risk, privately financed gondola project is an important first step in proving the viability of this form of urban transit that is efficient, environmentally friendly, effective and economical, that has proven itself in over 100 years of safe operation and beneficial to urban transport networks such as the many in South America.

BTW, speaking of Montreal, Montreal had a successful gondola, built 50 years ago

Isn't the use of a term like "Hello Lady" in this fashion a derogatory usage towards women?

She denigrates herself with every post she makes. She does not need anyone's help.

She changed her alias from Hello Lady to just H.L. but her posting style just got worse.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 04-05-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Triggered much H.L.?

Isn't the use of a term like "Hello Lady" in this fashion a derogatory usage towards women?
    Who are you? First time posting? Did Montreal man encourage you?
    Keep it up, and it's HL , okay Stony..
    Animals are my passion.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Can we get back to the topic please?
    Ow

I'll repeat what I posted , you're being far too sensible.
    You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to agree.
    Last edited by H.L.; 04-05-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    Animals are my passion.

How ironic...
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

If you live in an apartment Downtown, you are as close or closer to your neighbour as this will ever be.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Sorry to bring up the privacy issue, but I can almost guarantee that there will be a group of residents that bring it up as a reason to oppose the gondola, whether it’s a valid reason or not. Personally, I’m excited by the possibility of taking this downtown once it’s built... or taking it home from downtown.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    My worry is some of the bums who will be riding it. They値l jump in the gondola, smoke, or harass people.
    Seriously?
    Animals are my passion.

C2E SME

^ The cry will go out to make this free, and let everybody ride the gondola. Either that, or some ***** will ride the outside, just like the back of the transit bus.

Yeah, that happens at the ski hill every day.

Wow, some people are reaching.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Sorry to bring up the privacy issue, but I can almost guarantee that there will be a group of residents that bring it up as a reason to oppose the gondola, whether it’s a valid reason or not. Personally, I’m excited by the possibility of taking this downtown once it’s built... or taking it home from downtown.
    I would ride it too. I know one of the proponents, and like me, he's invested his own capital heavily in many ventures to promote this city. I think people here need to take a breath and see where this ends up.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Which is very much recognized by the group behind this and there are various options available to combat that.
    www.decl.org

On privacy, we’ve long had multi storey buildings, bridges and walkways enabling people to look down into yards. Plus there’s always been power line workers and meter-readers, etc. Now we also have drones as well.

People also have curtains

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I really wish C2E had a moderator.
    It seems the only moderation we get is around elections where the moderator randomly shows up and closes and opens dozens of threads, truncating conversations mid-stream with zero attempt to move posts in their context as required to new threads, effectively killing them all while declaring that they're doing so to help people not get "lost".

I realize it's a thankless task to moderate a board like this, but the actions taken over the last several weeks have made conversations harder to have and follow. Not easier.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    ^ The cry will go out to make this free, and let everybody ride the gondola. Either that, or some ***** will ride the outside, just like the back of the transit bus.

I think it depends on the hours they run, and what they do at night. I'm more afraid of vandalism than someone wanting a free ride.
    Animals are my passion.

C2E SME

I think it should be hours similar to the funicular, with security at the north and south entrances.

https://maassets.higherlogic.com/ima...(2)_192807.jpg

Register
    https://www.magnetmail.net/Actions/e...source=twitter

Agenda:
    11:30 AM - Registration and Lunch
    12:00 PM - Presentation by High Level Line and Prairie Sky Gondola

Stantec Tower, 4th Floor (10220 103 Avenue NW, Edmonton, AB T5J 0K4)

Edmonton’s river valley is both the beloved jewel of the city, and a gulf between the north and south. Two ambitious proposals are now seeking to bridge this divide from Downtown to Old Strathcona: in the east, a privately-funded gondola linking the two banks with the Rossdale area and powerplant; on the west edge, a re-imagining of the High Level Bridge as a corridor for multi-modal transportation and greenery.

Beyond transportation, what impact could these projects have for the neighbourhoods they would connect? Can they be catalysts for investment and redevelopment? A development industry panel weighs in.

High Level Line

www.highlevelline.com

High Level Line proposes a future where diverse neighbourhoods in central Edmonton are stitched together. Where Jasper Avenue and Whyte Avenue are connected and the experience between the two is so special that it makes us feel like tourists in our own city.

The Line has the ability to transform the urban fabric surrounding it. It stimulates the surrounding properties and enables a wide variety of uses: retail and residential frontages, dining, recreation, agriculture, celebration, people-watching and getting close to nature.

Prairie Sky Gondola

www.prairieskygondola.com

Prairie Sky is a privately held company that will provide a modern day transportation and recreation system to connect communities and empower city builders in urban Edmonton.

Speakers:
    Kevin Dieterman, Chair, High Level Line
    Gillian Thomson, Vice-Chair, High Level Line
    David James, Treasurer, High Level Line
    Michael Rivest, Director-at-Large, High Level Line

Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson, Co-CEO, Prairie Sky
    Andrea Wheaton, Co-CEO, Prairie Sky

Panelists:
    Laurie Scott, Vice President, Cameron Communities
    Salima Kheraj, Principal, InHouse
    www.decl.org

Interesting - in Burnaby they have approved "in principle" a gondola from SkyTrain to Simon Fraser University - albeit debating about whether they can cut over a neighborhood (given this is BC / NIMBY central, I am guessing they won't be able to).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...link-1.5152560

Last edited by downtownone; 28-05-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Link to meeting minutes? What was decided?

C2E Continued Contributor

^This was just a presentation. Nothing to decide.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Luckily, it was not operating at the time.

Sea to Sky gondola in Squamish closed after cable snaps
    Almost all of the 30 gondola cars attached to the cable crashed to the ground around 4 a.m. on Saturday

The gondola, which wasn't operating at the time, normally carries up to 240 passengers at a time on its 30 cars. The trip from the base to the summit 885 metres above sea level lasts approximately 10 minutes and gives visitors views over Howe Sound.

Almost all of the 30 gondola cars attached to the cable crashed to the ground at around 4 a.m., according to staff working overnight. No injuries have been reported as a result of the incident.

"It's just an incredibly unusual thing to happen," said Kirby Brown, Sea to Sky's general manager. "We just did our maintenance on the line very recently and it was a big, thick, beautiful healthy rope."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ound-1.5242787

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

Almost all of the 30 gondola cars attached to the cable crashed to the ground around 4 a.m. on Saturday

The gondola, which wasn't operating at the time, normally carries up to 240 passengers at a time on its 30 cars. The trip from the base to the summit 885 metres above sea level lasts approximately 10 minutes and gives visitors views over Howe Sound.

Almost all of the 30 gondola cars attached to the cable crashed to the ground at around 4 a.m., according to staff working overnight. No injuries have been reported as a result of the incident.

"It's just an incredibly unusual thing to happen," said Kirby Brown, Sea to Sky's general manager. "We just did our maintenance on the line very recently and it was a big, thick, beautiful healthy rope."

if it was operating at the time it wouldn't have happened:

"RCMP say they believe someone deliberately cut the cable of the Sea to Sky gondola located along Highway 99 in Squamish, B.C., felling the two-kilometre cable route early Saturday morning.

"We believe the cables were cut and this was a deliberate act of vandalism, " said Inspector Kara Triance with Squamish RCMP.

"At this time, it's a crime scene.""

Just calling it vandalism seems to be an extreme understatement. Beyond the damage and destruction to all the cars, I imagine there痴 a whole lot of damage to the carrying structures all along the length of the line. Every pole system will have to be inspected, tested... cars would likely have been pulled into them in some kind of domino effect.

^^ So the only thing this has to do with our proposed gondola is security. Gotcha.
    添ou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^ So the only thing this has to do with our proposed gondola is security. Gotcha.
    sorry - i don't understand your post.

if it was addressed at my "if it was operating at the time it wouldn't have happened" that's not because there would have been security if it was operating.

the comment was in reference to how a gondola physically operates. the cable is in constant motion on a continuous loop when it's operating which would make it virtually impossible to cut.
    Last edited by kcantor; 10-08-2019 at 07:03 PM.

sorry - i don't understand your post.

if it was addressed at my "if it was operating at the time it wouldn't have happened" that's not because there would have been security if it was operating.

the comment was in reference to how a gondola physically operates. the cable is in constant motion on a continuous loop when it's operating which would make it virtually impossible to cut.
    A daily first inspection run is all the would be needed to see that it’s not cut or frayed. Assuming that a normal person does the inspection all would be well.

As an aside I rented a car in England and luckily flipped over the child seat before putting it in place. Thats when I saw that the main child seat belt was about 90% sliced through. Took it back to the rental desk and got zero emotional reaction from the agent lady who just went and grabbed another. At that moment I learned another really scary lesson about people.

Vandalism happens all the time to trains, buses and cars.

Seldom when they are in use.

This very unusual crime has zero net effect on the viability , operation or safety of any gondola system to be built.

Only people with a lack of understanding or vested interests against gondola technology, would use this act of vandalism against the proposal in Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

if it was operating at the time it wouldn't have happened:

"RCMP say they believe someone deliberately cut the cable of the Sea to Sky gondola located along Highway 99 in Squamish, B.C., felling the two-kilometre cable route early Saturday morning.

"We believe the cables were cut and this was a deliberate act of vandalism, " said Inspector Kara Triance with Squamish RCMP.

"At this time, it's a crime scene.""
    Thanks Ken. That info wasn't in the original story. It's been updated throughout the day.

Bogota's solar-powered gondola gives slum dwellers a lift - Reuters

“With two solar panels atop each cable car, the system called “TransMiCable” transports about 20,000 residents a day living in the southern neighborhood of Ciudad Bolivar, up and down the mountain in under 15 minutes and for less than $1 per journey.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1TI176

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123