Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 1195

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2009 - 2010 Regular Season

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ I doubt they will trade their 1st pick. I get the impression they're going the Blackhawks route of rebuilding. And I'm fine with that.
    as long as they end up with the Blackhawks results...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sonic, thanks. I haven't heard much about Tyler Seguin.

never answered e-mail

well, a thorough shellacking at the hands of the Sens last night (39-19 shots I recall?) I don't know if this is good news or bad news story for the way to develop our young goalies whilst on rebuilding mode. I started to cringe as the goof balls on the sportsnet panel started yammering on about how Whitney needs to start delivering as a top defenceman...we gonna run this guy out of town already?

C2E SME

It's a valid point, Whitney was drafted 5th overall and should be a top defenseman just hitting his prime. He's shown promise, including putting up 38, 59, and 40 point seasons in a row with Pittsburgh a few years back, but he's since regressed the past couple seasons.

But overall most of our problems this year have stemmed from our forwards and less so our D.

It's hard to look/play good as a defenceman when their is no support from your forwards. There is only so much a d-man can do when looking at 5 opposition jerseys.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by JBear View Post
    There is only so much a d-man can do when looking at 5 opposition jerseys.
    Change jerseys maybe?

But I totally agree.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Whitney's only played a few games, cut him some slack already. The only decent Oiler last night was JD.

Regarding the draft, Oilers might be better off taking Seguin. As far as I can understand from scouting reports, Hall is a small, dynamic playmaking forward and Seguin is a bigger, goal-scoring forward. Right now both players have similar number of points and are going to be drafted #1 and #2.

But the Oilers could really use some size up front to go with the skill. I don't really care either way, as long as whoever the Oilers choose ends up producing lots of offense.
    Last edited by MrOilers; 10-03-2010 at 03:08 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Absolutely agree with you, I'd rather take Seguin.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Hall is better and definitely isn't small - over 6' and heavier than Seguin. Played less games than Seguin with as many points. Seguin didn't even make the gold winning junior squad this year while Hall was second in scoring behind Eberle in that tournament. No doubt Seguin's good but every scouting report and paper has Seguin as #2 and Hall as #1. The OHL Playoffs should really tell the story though.
    Last edited by Krokwalk; 10-03-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I should also point out that Taylor does it with less minutes because of the better team (has to compete for ice time) and wants to go to Edmonton according to interviews (could be BS but he said it). Also he is faster (direct testing) and has an NHL style scoring record, goes to the front of the net rather than perimeter scoring (obvious at the juniors), has a wicked shot (they both do) and is better defensively although Seguin is on a defensively inept team so this may be moot. Maybe not quite as creative (despite more assists) as Seguin according to reports but again the assists say otherwise so this may be moot as well. Go to HFBoards to see their scoring plays and if you need inside scooping. Pay attention to the facts rather than the emotions and I think it's pretty evident that Hall is who we want.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Krokwalk View Post
    I should also point out that Taylor does it with less minutes because of the better team (has to compete for ice time) and wants to go to Edmonton according to interviews (could be BS but he said it). Also he is faster (direct testing) and has an NHL style scoring record, goes to the front of the net rather than perimeter scoring (obvious at the juniors), has a wicked shot (they both do) and is better defensively although Seguin is on a defensively inept team so this may be moot. Maybe not quite as creative (despite more assists) as Seguin according to reports but again the assists say otherwise so this may be moot as well. Go to HFBoards to see their scoring plays and if you need inside scooping. Pay attention to the facts rather than the emotions and I think it's pretty evident that Hall is who we want.
    although it seems to be a given that hall/seguin will go 1/2 (or 2/1) one of the things you didn't point out is that hall is a natural left winger and seguin is a natural centre and positional need as well as simple relative raw talent may determine whether the order is 1/2 or 2/1.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default The latest on the draft.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...698/story.html

Kevin Lowe took Tyler Hall for dinner. Hmmm.
    Of course I should have said Taylor Hall. This is just too confusing for me.
    Last edited by Glenco; 12-03-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    although it seems to be a given that hall/seguin will go 1/2 (or 2/1) one of the things you didn't point out is that hall is a natural left winger and seguin is a natural centre and positional need as well as simple relative raw talent may determine whether the order is 1/2 or 2/1.
    IMO that would be a mistake, just take the best player of the two. A franchise forward is a franchise forward, and if one of them is more "franchise" than the other (which is what is being said about Hall), then I think its a no-brainer that if we are lucky enough to get "1" overall, he will be the guy.

I agree. In a draft it is never a bad idea to just take the best player available, regardless of position.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^we will win with either one, both will probably end up elite players. Hall did well at the Juniors (Seguin wasn't selected). There is still some suggestion that Hall has greater potential to possibly be a superstar one day.

If it is this close I would rather see the Oilers pick a centre. That is what they really need.

As much as it hurts, I am rooting for the Wings tonight. Anything to keep the godless Flames out of the playoffs!!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Anything to keep the godless Flames out of the playoffs!!
    Would you stop praising the Flames? Everytime you write that they are "Godless" it makes me think that maybe they are a team worth supporting, for I would never support a "godded" team.

As much as it hurts, I am rooting for the Wings tonight. Anything to keep the godless Flames out of the playoffs!!
    I hope it it is a good game, the Oilers have a respectable showing, and they lose in shootout thriller.

That way, Oilers fans will have something to cheer for during the game, and Detroit will still get ther 2 points up on teh Flamers.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Anything to keep the godless Flames out of the playoffs!!
    Would you stop praising the Flames? Everytime you write that they are "Godless" it makes me think that maybe they are a team worth supporting, for I would never support a "godded" team.
    How many times do I have to explain this to you?
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...&postcount=440

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yeaaa, I've got tonight off and I can sit at home and watch the game. Where did that "godless flames" come from anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Where did that "godless flames" come from anyway?
    Check the link in the post above yours.

Calgarians are lucky then to have an "evil" hockey team, I wish our guys fought with a bit more attitude. We get the horror show, but always seem to be the victims.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I rather take Hall or Seguin over them missing the playoffs and getting nothing. They are getting old and will have similar cap issues in near near future. Sutter is running them into the ground and their "window" to win has all but shut. We are the third youngest team and once players like Eberle, Hall, MPS, etc come up and we shed a few contracts, we will be passing the Lames as they plummet back to reality. They have been put up on a pedestal for way to long!

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I hope it it is a good game, the Oilers have a respectable showing, and they lose in shootout thriller.

That way, Oilers fans will have something to cheer for during the game, and Detroit will still get ther 2 points up on teh Flamers.

You almost called it bang-on, but this is sweeter.

Calgary beats San Jose earlier tonight. So the Wings needed to get a point to stay in the 8th spot (one game in hand). It looked like Detroit was going to lose but they scored with 0.2 seconds left to take it to overtime.

So the sweet thing is Dubnyk gets his first NHL career win after the shootout and Detroit cheeses out a single point.

Poor Flames. Karma is getting back at them.

I just saw the replay on Global Morning News. Detroit's last-second goal could have been prevented. Peckham fought hard to keep possession along the boards until the Wings got it and scored. Standing nearby scratching their arses and doing nothing to help were the usual suspects - Moreau and Horcoff.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It was a win-win, Dubnyk got his first NHL win and the Wings got a point to help them stay in front of the Lames .

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

@ MrOilers: Thanks for the pointer.

Jake Daniels? No wonder it's rarely used -- very few had any respect for the quality of his last stint with the TEAM 1260. All Daniels provided was an anti-Calgary angle -- with no hockey angle! On sports radio, you may as well just shoot yourself in the foot when you can only pretend to be knowledgeable about sports. Teamed up with Bryn Griffiths , a man who would regularly tell his listeners how he didn't see the game last night, was a recipe for disaster.

It is very little wonder Kyle and Chase got better morning ratings nearly on day one of their show.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    Jake Daniels? No wonder it's rarely used
    ^ What are you talking about? I hear "godless Flames" all the time around here, by fans, on hockey messageboards, and some other media folk.

C2E SME

If there's any "good news", it's that both Toronto and Detroit won, giving the Oilers a greater lock on last place, and a greater chance of a mid-April golf date with our provincial rivals.

I wonder if Souray and Iginla would be golf partners?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

^ What are you talking about? I hear "godless Flames" all the time around here, by fans, on hockey messageboards, and some other media folk.
    Wow, no kidding. I've never used this term nor heard it from my peers.

So I figured I'd take a look-see this morning. I see term has been used a couple times on oilfans.com and on HFboards maybe a dozen times over there in the past four years in the same context. When I tried google, I found many non-hockey sites use the term far more frequently: esksfans and c2e came up in the first couple pages of the google search. Yukon Jack had the phrase published one time in the Sun too. lowetide regularly uses the phrase to describe the Flames -- I truly never noticed and I regularly read his stuff!

I won't be using this one anytime soon, but certainly gotta file this one into you learn something everyday!

^ Those C2E hits must be my posts, eh? I won't stop using it because I think the phrase is amusing (but then again, I have an odd sense of humor). The guys on Global News sometimes use it when they are talking hockey.

5-1 over the Sharks. Too bad Dubbie didn't get the shutout, but still nice to see him get consecutive win #2.
    Bad news...another injury. This time it's Peckham.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 21-03-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Current man games lost due to injury: 441

^which indicates it is time that the fitness / training regime got reviewed, for this has been going on with the Oilers for a few years. Fit players (not over-fit/unbalanced players), don't get injured as much. The teams with the lowest injuries, will be the teams with the best regimes (should poach their trainers).

But so many of those missed games were due to health issues such as concussions, flu viruses, mono, and joint injuries (shoulder separations, vertebral discs).

Those types of injuries have very little (or even nothing) to do with fitness.

^you can look at an isolated incident, like a concussion, and conclude that it was not fitness related (although it may be, for example, if the player was tired, and had head down or not enough energy to move out of the way). But on the whole, when a whole team is having all sorts of injuries, that indicates that the players aren't at the correct level of fitness. Same with any sport, fit teams, don't get injured as much, especially in contact sports where the right balance of muscle will protect you against many injuries.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I totally disagree. Looking at the actual injuries, most of them were not preventable and all the exercise regimes in the world wouldn't have mattered.

Khabi - Herniated Disc
    Souray - Broken hand
    Stone - Knee (from knee on knee collision)
    Hemsky - Torn left labrum
    Jacques - Recurring back injury
    Pisani - Colitis
    Comrie - Mono

^why does it happen to some teams more than others though? Dumb luck? I don't buy that, teams make their own "luck", and fit teams are "luckier" than unfit ones because the players are stronger and able to avoid difficult situations. I'm not saying everything can be prevented (of course not, like Pisani), but a fit person will get injured less often than an unfit one. All these guys are obviously fit, but I suspect the balance is not right, and that we can learn from teams that don't have as many injuries.

grish

even one of the new guys got injured in his first game with the Oil. Do they also trade for unfit players? It's a nice theory, but it does not apply here.

Default First and second pick?

Interesting article from Dan Barnes.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...280/story.html

It would make sense if Boston went for it.
    On the down side they do need some veterans around.

Far too many injuries the Oilers have sustained have nothing to do with training. I've seen the argument that the Oilers' trainers must stink because of the high number of injuries, but I think this is far too easy of an answer without looking at the details.

Pisani's colitis, Comrie's mono, Pouliot's inflamed pubic bone turned sports hernia, Khabibulin's back (already a known issue), Stone's nasty knee-on-knee, Souray's botched fight and the numerous concussions / neck related "dirty hit" injuries are not training-related.

On the other side, I do have three examples for consideration. But it is just three out of the 15-20 injuries that weren't the common flu and were over 3 games.

Horcoff's reoccuring shoulder problem since he injured it in 07 and re-injured it at the 2008 All-Star game. This could point to training -- but we'd near have to be his doctor to know what's up.

Jacques' reoccurring back issue could point to training. Surgery in 08, 09 and 10. Damaged goods or training.

Hemsky's shoulder injury is also questionable. Hemsky himself cannot pinpoint when he tore the labrum in his left shoulder but just dealt with the problem without medical attention for 3-4 weeks. After Handzus hit him, it became aggravated to the point of taking him out for the year. Not so sure what communication there was between the trainers and Oilers, but I was lead to believe Hemsky kept the problem quiet. This is the first problem for his left shoulder. He's had troubles with his right shoulder and right knee.

I'd bet league-wide, the majority of injuries won't reflect the player's training.

When you see a whole rash of muscle pulls on a team, I'd definitely be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    even one of the new guys got injured in his first game with the Oil. Do they also trade for unfit players? It's a nice theory, but it does not apply here.
    Well, my knowldege is from rugby, where fitness and injuries go hand in hand. I don't think it is any different in hockey, as I said, individuals will get injurries, that can't be prevented. But, when as a team they are above average, that indicates that the fitness regimes of the team, and the players offseasons, need to be tweaked. Just blaming fate, or god, isn't the way to fix a problem, and the Oilers clearly have a problem.

The team is above average in non-training related injuries.

We do not have one example of an injury that is definitely training related, but three this season out of twenty that could be. That shows no problems.

^as I mentinoed earlier though, even something like a concussion, it can be fitness related. It indicates that the player was unable to deal with / avoid the situation. If they were stonger, fitter, more aware, they would have been able to stay on feet, or move away, or take a hit to another part of the body, not get injured from it. It all ties together in the big picture, I am willing to bet the teams that have less injuries, have different training from the Oilers.
    Last edited by moahunter; 23-03-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Interesting article from Dan Barnes.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...280/story.html

It would make sense if Boston went for it.
    On the down side they do need some veterans around.
    I'd do it, I think we are going to take a couple of years to rebuild, trading Hemsky so we have two of the three top picks, would set the Oilers up for a couple of years time (whereas, we don't know what Hemsky will cost then).

I have problems considering how three potentially training injuries out of twenty is significant and that there is the big picture you fail to acknowledge moahunter. 3 maybes... further research could prove that we have 0 out of 20!!

Your theory is a good generality but cannot be applied to specific examples without thought. I think it is absurd to consider any sports club in any league in the world who leads their league in injures must have poor training. It's an easy answer, that's it.

^as I mentinoed earlier though, even something like a concussion, it can be fitness related. It indicates that the player was unable to deal with / avoid the situation. If they were stonger, fitter, more aware, they would have been able to stay on feet, or move away, or take a hit to another part of the body, not get injured from it. It all ties together in the big picture, I am willing to bet the teams that have less injuries, have different training from the Oilers.
    I think a lot of the concussions are not fitness related, but other teams taking liberties knowing they won't have to answer to our 'tough guy'.

I would agree with moa - I've been led to believe that one of the reasons for the fitness and training is injury and sickness prevention.

On that front, they did replace Chad Moreau (Chopper's brother) with the Body by Bennett guy this year.

^as I mentinoed earlier though, even something like a concussion, it can be fitness related. It indicates that the player was unable to deal with / avoid the situation.
    I don't remember how Staios got his concussion, but Smid took an elbow to the face and Souray got a stick put under his skate that tripped him face-first into the boards.

A different fitness regimen wouldn't help these cases at all.

^I didn't say fitness could stop every concusion, or every injury. But on average, if you look at a whole team, fitness and injury go together. A team that is plagued with injuries, is a team that needs to improve in this area, to train in a better way. To suggest that it is all dumb luck that our team has the worst injury rate, is frankley, a dumb cop out. There is a reason why it keeps happening to the Oilers year in, year out, of late. For in sports, teams do control the game they play and the organization does influence what type of fitness the players have through the training that is set. If you get the balance of diet, exercise and rest wrong, players will get sick more often, and players will get injured more often (in a contact sport, a tired weak player will get injured more often than a fit, fresh and strong one), same in hockey, same in any sport.
    Last edited by moahunter; 23-03-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Well, I think this year it is a lot of dumb luck.

^Like last year? I heard the same thing then. And the year before, its just, it is getting worse, not better, which is pathetic given the long offseason the Oilers have (although maybe not, the regimes during that offseason may be a big part of the problem that needs to be looked at)...

Moa, honestly I just can't see this being a fitness issue. There is way too much evidence disproving your theory and pointing to another reason.

grish

DD the goalie is out with a stomach infection of some sort... he did not bench press enough last thursday...

I figured moahunter missed these posts... so I quoted them...

The team is above average in non-training related injuries.

We do not have one example of an injury that is definitely training related, but three this season out of twenty that could be. That shows no problems.
    Far too many injuries the Oilers have sustained have nothing to do with training. I've seen the argument that the Oilers' trainers must stink because of the high number of injuries, but I think this is far too easy of an answer without looking at the details.

Pisani's colitis, Comrie's mono, Pouliot's inflamed pubic bone turned sports hernia, Khabibulin's back (already a known issue), Stone's nasty knee-on-knee, Souray's botched fight and the numerous concussions / neck related "dirty hit" injuries are not training-related.

On the other side, I do have three examples for consideration. But it is just three out of the 15-20 injuries that weren't the common flu and were over 3 games.

Horcoff's reoccuring shoulder problem since he injured it in 07 and re-injured it at the 2008 All-Star game. This could point to training -- but we'd near have to be his doctor to know what's up.

Jacques' reoccurring back issue could point to training. Surgery in 08, 09 and 10. Damaged goods or training.

Hemsky's shoulder injury is also questionable. Hemsky himself cannot pinpoint when he tore the labrum in his left shoulder but just dealt with the problem without medical attention for 3-4 weeks. After Handzus hit him, it became aggravated to the point of taking him out for the year. Not so sure what communication there was between the trainers and Oilers, but I was lead to believe Hemsky kept the problem quiet. This is the first problem for his left shoulder. He's had troubles with his right shoulder and right knee.

I'd bet league-wide, the majority of injuries won't reflect the player's training.

When you see a whole rash of muscle pulls on a team, I'd definitely be concerned.
    I have problems considering how three potentially training injuries out of twenty is significant and that there is the big picture you fail to acknowledge moahunter. 3 maybes... further research could prove that we have 0 out of 20!!

Your theory is a good generality but cannot be applied to specific examples without thought. I think it is absurd to consider any sports club in any league in the world who leads their league in injures must have poor training. It's an easy answer, that's it.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

DD the goalie is out with a stomach infection of some sort... he did not bench press enough last thursday...
    People who are under physical stress, or are tired, get sick more often and recover slower than people who are well rested. Again, the point is, that the best teams consistently don't have as many injuries. You could argue that is why they are the best teams (i.e. they were lucky), or you could conclude that maybe the best teams have the best trainers who understand how to reduce the risk of injury through correct training to keep players at peak physical and mental alertness.

It all comes down to how important you think trainers are, and how much influence they have. I think it is crictically important, but then, it might be easier for fans of a failing organization to conclude we are just an unlucky team.
    Last edited by moahunter; 23-03-2010 at 05:09 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Post of the month

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post

Post of the month

Dumbest post of the month

C2E SME

Wow, 3 wins in a row.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Post of the month

Oh come on moa, that post was pretty funny

grish

Post of the month

Oh come on moa, that post was pretty funny
    it is well know fact that the sense of humour diminishes with excercise...

If you can cheer, you can jeer

So, how many wins before we need the Oilers to start losing again? We have a bit of a cushion for Hall / Seguin.

C2E SME

It would be simple bad luck for a team to have as many injuries as the Oilers have had this year. When 3 of the past 4 years we've had numerous significant season ending injuries throughout the organization, you do need to start asking questions as to why that is. There's no simple answer, but surely training does fit in there somewhere along with whether or not other teams take liberties on the Oilers for lack of fear of retribution.

C2E SME

Well, I think the Oilers have a lock on last place with the 2-1 loss, seven games to go, and 14 points behind the 29th place Maple Leafs. So I think we'll get the 48.1% chance in the draft lottery.

The only good thing about St. Louis beating our Oil is that they stay within striking distance of jumping ahead of the Lames.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

omg i dont even recognize half our team now. who are all these new players?

^I don't care, at least they aren't the old players . If there is one very good thing about this season, it is we are getting the true clean out we needed (aside from a few unmovable contracts like Horcoff). With Eberly and Hall next year and the Swedish guy, it will be a totally different team. I expect it will take a year or two of learning (e.g. Chicago), but we are, I think, on the right track.

Well, we should clinch last place tomorrow against Detroit.... bring on Hall /Seguin....now I just want to see Toronto finish second last and the Flames to miss the playoffs...

Not sure whether to post here or at the Stupid Letters to the Editor thread:
    Oilers need Hemsky

Edmonton Journal
    March 29, 2010

While I understand Dan Barnes' position, Ales Hemsky cannot be traded, even if the Oilers receive the top-two draft picks. Rick DiPietro and Alexandre Daigle were both first overall draft picks, but have experienced limited professional success.

Does this mean Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin will follow suit? Who knows -- this is the chance teams take with draft picks.

However, Hemsky has proven to be a consistent, high-scoring winger capable of improving his Oilers teammates, something that is not guaranteed by Hall or Seguin.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/opini...449/story.html
    I'm willing to bet both Hall and Seguin will have a more successful NHL career than Daigle. In fact, I will say they will be better than Hemsky.

^I have been lucky enough to see Hemsky live score some beauties. But we seem to be waiting a long time for his "break-out" year, if it ever happens. I think I'd rather have a player who isn't as flashy, but chalks up the goals / points (interstingly, something Penner has done this year).

What's holding back Hemsky is an equally gifted centerman. Horc isn't it.

Which is why there's still the possibility that the Oilers will try to sign Jaromir Jagr this summer. The 2 of them played together in international tournaments, Hemmer wants him here, and Jagr is willing to play here. The 2 main issues here are if he still has the legs, and if he commands a salary that kills their cap space.

I'd rather keep Hemsky. Yeah, he might not be the guy for the Oilers to build the team around and may never will be, but he is a talented top 6 player on any NHL team. When you consider the following:

- The Oilers drafted and developed him
    - He's an offensive threat
    - Has a bargain contract with 2 years left on it
    - He's still only 26
    - He does not have any off-ice baggage

With all the other players the Oilers have have generated controversy, demand too much money, been a problem for management, or have been total busts, why would we want to take a gamble and trade away a solid player like Hemsky?

I doubt many other teams would trade away one of their players with qualities like that for a high draft pick.

^Hemsky is a good player, but not an elite player, per his production. I think the top three players in the draft are more likely to become elite players, than Hemsky is, so it would be worthwhile to trade him at the draft if we could get an extra one of them. Whether any team would do the deal, I don't know, but it is precisley because he has a good contract, that we might have a chance. It is probably going to take a couple of years for the Oilers to be playoff contendors, so it might be in Hemksy's interest to get some fresh air on another team as well. We can always try to sign him in 2 years time when he is UFA, and our team has more use for him (hopefully).
    Last edited by moahunter; 29-03-2010 at 04:16 PM.

C2E SME

^I have been lucky enough to see Hemsky live score some beauties. But we seem to be waiting a long time for his "break-out" year, if it ever happens. I think I'd rather have a player who isn't as flashy, but chalks up the goals / points (interstingly, something Penner has done this year).
    First half of the year. I'd be willing to bet he's had 15 or less points in the last 30 games. Hemsky has never really had anyone to play with. He's not a finisher, and save for when Horcoff was on pace to score 35+ goals a few years back before borking his shoulder, we've never had one for him to play with. Bird in hand is worth two in the bush and all that.

I'm on the fence really. It doesn't make much sense to keep him around for the next couple years if we're going to miss the playoffs again while rebuilding, only to lose him to free agency afterwards and receive nothing in return. But at the same time, we need SOMEONE to put butts in the seats and create offense. Plus I figured getting his jersey was a safe bet :/.

C2E Super Addict

Cheer for the Leafs tonight folks.

That way if the Oil decide to go on another win streak these last few games it's not going to matter.

Go Leafs Go! Even a tie will do.

^Best case is for the Oilers to lose upcoming games to Detroit, Colorado, and L.A Kings...this would harm the Flames chances of making it in....now if Toronto can lose a few more and the teams ahead of them can win a few more, the Leafs finish second last with no first round pick...ha ha

^ Right now Toronto has 69 points and the next worst teams are Tampa, Florida, and Islanders with 72 points. All three teams have a game in hand over Toronto.

Maybe we should want Toronto to finish 3rd last because I think Boston is more willing to trade away that 3rd overall pick than the 2nd. Boston needs a winger more than a defenceman, plus they want to win now.

In other words, Boston may not be interested in developing Cam Fowler.

Hemsky, Robert Nilsson and 31st overall pick for Fowler?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    But at the same time, we need SOMEONE to put butts in the seats and create offense. Plus I figured getting his jersey was a safe bet :/.
    Talylor Hall, Eberle, and Seguine (or Fowler)? I don't know if that's enough, but Chicago was a fun team to watch even during their rebuild. It would be a brave move by managment, and some people would be very upset, but the signal it would send, to get two of the top three picks, would be an exciting one. We would be guaranteed an elite player (definitiley one of the two), possibly two elite players (who knows, maybe three if Eberle lives up to hype), and maybe even a franchise guy.

C2E SME

But at the same time, we need SOMEONE to put butts in the seats and create offense. Plus I figured getting his jersey was a safe bet :/.
    Talylor Hall, Eberle, and Seguine (or Fowler)? I don't know if that's enough, but Chicago was a fun team to watch even during their rebuild. It would be a brave move by managment, and some people would be very upset, but the signal it would send, to get two of the top three picks, would be an exciting one. We would be guaranteed an elite player (definitiley one of the two), possibly two elite players (who knows, maybe three if Eberle lives up to hype), and maybe even a franchise guy.
    There's little indication that any of those guys will have the immediate impact that Toews or Kane had. It's been said over and over again that Hall and Seguine while good players and likely can't miss picks, are not going to step in to the NHL as 18 year olds and dominate. Look at Tavares, he's playing on an awful team where he gets the best minutes and he's barely going to break 40 points. It'll be a couple years before those guys are really lighting things up. Even in Chicago's case with players of better pedigree, Kane and Toews are in the second and third seasons respectively. Then again, earlier in the year some scouts were saying that Hall/Seguin were more along the lines of a Stamkos than a Kane or Toews, and Stamkos is lighting it up in his second year after a mediocre first.

I'm not saying that's justification for keeping Hemsky. Like I said I could be convinced either way. There's every chance that by the time he's ready to become a UFA Eberle and whoever we draft this year will be hitting their stride and he'd be interested in staying to play with them on the top line. I just don't want to keep Hemsky for two years while the team continues to suck and lose him for nothing in return in 2012.

^I didn't say they will light it up right away (although I think at least one of them might), but it is going to be fun to watch them develop into elite players (just like it is fun to watch Tavares). The more such players we have, I think the more fun it will be, so while it would be sad to see Hemsky go, it will still be a very interesting team next year if that happens, perhaps a more interesting team. And, with these young guys as the base, it should be possible to attract a good veteran or two (former elite/franchise player would be ideal) in free agency to show them the ropes.
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-03-2010 at 11:31 AM.

C2E SME

I would hope the organization has learned it's lesson regarding veteran former franchise players and signing them in free agency to inflated contracts just to attract them here (Souray, Bulin, and thank god we didn't Nylander).

Edmonton's not going to be attracting great UFA signings for fair market value until the team demonstrates it can be successful. In the meantime we will continue to have to overpay on the open market to bring in talent, as he have already done to our own detriment.

I'll be the first to take Jagr at 3 million a year. 5 million? No sale.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I'd rather keep Hemsky. Yeah, he might not be the guy for the Oilers to build the team around and may never will be, but he is a talented top 6 player on any NHL team. When you consider the following:

- The Oilers drafted and developed him
    - He's an offensive threat
    - Has a bargain contract with 2 years left on it
    - He's still only 26
    - He does not have any off-ice baggage

Top_Dawg agrees with your points.

However Hemsky was always soft and now he's damaged goods.

Basically the Jesse Lumsden of hockey.

It is doubtful he'll ever play more than forty games in a season for the rest of his career.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Top Dawg

Silly silly comparision.

I'll be the first to take Jagr at 3 million a year. 5 million? No sale.
    I watched him at the Olympics, and it changed my mind, he looked pretty awesome. Attracting him could be one reason it would be worth keeping Hemsky, although I don't know if worth it.

C2E SME

Well, the Oilers have clinched last place, and the 48.1% probability of getting the first pick in the draft lottery.

Mind you, the Oilers gave Detroit all they could handle, and the winning goal for Detriot was on a high stick.

^ TSN will be broadcasting the live draft lottery on Tues April 13.

C2E SME

Get Maggie the Monkey (out of retirement) to draw the balls.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Well, the Oilers have clinched last place, and the 48.1% probability of getting the first pick in the draft lottery.

Mind you, the Oilers gave Detroit all they could handle, and the winning goal for Detriot was on a high stick.
    And this is why I was cheering for a Toronto win, vs an Edmonton loss. Thanks for nothin Toronto I still can't in good conscience hope that the Oil lose...
    At least they made the Wings sweat for it.
    Ah well, water under the bridge now. Bring on the lottery.

C2E Super Addict

Oh and by the way....

They will not win the lottery.

Why? Because that is the type of season this year has been.

Fortunately this year the top 2 picks are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chump View Post
    Fortunately this year the top 2 picks are great.
    Yip, by totally losing, we are in a no lose situation. Still, would be nice to have the choice, so I will be hoping in a few weeks on lottery day.

Penner is day-to-day with a scratched Cornea.

grish

Quote Originally Posted by JBear View Post
    Penner is day-to-day with a scratched Cornea.
    what sort of an apparatus do other teams strap on their players' eye lids to work them out to prevent these types of injuries? you know, Oilers injuries are due to poor physical conditioning!

from the official Oilers message board:

The following is a list of the percent chances the bottom 10 teams have of winning the draft lottery. The most a team can move up in the draft is four positions, so only the bottom five teams have a chance to secure the first overall pick by winning the draft lottery. I never thought I would ever see an Oilers team in dead last place.

10. 21st place, 2.1 percent chance. Lottery win moves draft selection spot up to sixth.

9. 22nd place, 2.7 percent chance. Lottery win moves draft selection spot up to fifth.

8. 23rd place, 3.6 percent chance. Lottery win moves draft selection spot up to fourth.

7. 24th place, 4.7 percent chance. Lottery win moves draft selection spot up to third.

6. 25th place, 6.2 percent chance. Lottery win moves draft selection spot up to second.

5. 26th place, 8.1 percent chance of securing the first overall pick.

4. 27th place, 10.7 percent chance of securing the first overall pick.

3. 28th place, 14.2 percent chance of securing the first overall pick.

2. 29th place, 18.8 percent chance of securing the first overall pick.

1. 30th place, 25 percent chance you’ll win the lottery and 23.2 percent chance teams from sixth last to 14th last win the lottery, for a total of 48.2 percent chance of securing the first overall pick.

^so if the Flames keep falling, they have a chance (horrible thought, touch wood).

^ you forgot the Flames traded away their draft pick to Phoenix in the Jokinen deal.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast