Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World's Fair discussion Part 2 - Business Case

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

This would be a logical synergy between the two...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

C2E SME

With Edmonton losing the Universiade bid, I think it would be great to see the city and the U of A join forces on promoting the 2017 bid, should it win the national bid.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Partially Addicted to C2E

With Calgary throwing their hat in the ring it got me interested to see what other cities have done for myself. thought it might be interesting to post a few websites

Next "recognized" Expo - http://www.expo2012.or.kr/eng/
    Canada's role in the next "registered" Expo - http://www.expo2010canada.gc.ca/index-eng.cfm

Bottom line...now I'm really really pumped about getting behind the EXPO 2017 train.

C2E SME

I think, now that Calgary has bid, Edmonton's next step should be getting a vision together for the November bid. What's next?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Probably a gazillion things to do, managing the transportation alone is a huge undertaking. Of course by then we'll have the LRT hopefully to Heritage Hills the park and ride will help.

Would be nice to have the 87th Ave line to Lewis Estates by then as well, but it may be only a dream *sigh*

I assume they need a site plan with fairly detailed public or shared areas and allocated lots for the countries or exhibitors.

I'm also assuming they also need a plan for the events that will take place at the time of the expo, how various events can be tied in together, like Klondike Day (yes I know its been renamed).

Then of course a glitzy marketing of the Plan, video presentations.

C2E Posting Power

Does anyone have any updating info about the expo bid??

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeman View Post
    Does anyone have any updating info about the expo bid??
    you can "stay in touch" with what's going on here:

http://www.edmontonexpo2017.com/

you can also volunteer to do anything from speaking to distributing expo 2017 pins and - of course - sending money would be much appreciated as well...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Default Edmonton gets $1M for Expo bid

Edmonton gets $1M for Expo bid
    BY ALEXANDRA ZABJEK AND DARCY HENTON, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COMJULY 20, 2009 6:01 PM

EDMONTON — Edmonton’s bid for the 2017 Expo got a $1.14-million boost from the Alberta government Monday.

The money will be used to help the city prepare a feasibility study to be submitted to Heritage Canada by this fall.

“It’s good news,” said Coun. Karen Leibovici. “We’ve continued with the work that’s required to be done to be chosen as a Canadian city and we absolutely are very pleased that the province has recognized that we have the potential to become the Canadian bid city.“

Premier Ed Stelmach told a news conference: “It happens to be the 150th birthday of Canada so there are a lot of positives. We want to be at the table with the city to look at the feasibility and then once the feasibility study will be done we’ll look at what information will come forward to cabinet for further approval.”

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...003/story.html

C2E SME

Ridgeman, I think you have your answer. This is good news for our city.

C2E Posting Power

I do have my answer - thanks - talk about coincidence. You would almost think I had something to do with the timing of the question and subsequent announcement?

By the way - website for Expo 2017 is very informative. At the very least Edmonton's bid is fairly transparent. - Can't say the same for the phantom bid out of Calgary.

C2E SME

I'm glad to see that Edmonton gets a chance to assess its viability for hosting Expo. If Edmonton sticks to its integrity it has shown during the bidding process, it will stand a great chance for 2017.

C2E SME

City set on attending 2017 Expo dance despite pushy rivals

By Scott Mckeen, Edmonton Journal
    July 27, 2009

Only the most callous or mercenary among us laugh in the face of potential rejection.

Rejection hurts. The fear of romantic rejection sells more alcohol than sexually charged beer ads and scantily clad barmaids combined.

I don't even like writing the word rejection. Ouch. Painful memories.

But if we acknowledge the pain of rejection on a personal level, we must also acknowledge it on a collective or community level. Edmonton has been spurned famously on numerous occasions.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/colum...900/story.html

C2E SME

I think what's most important is that Edmonton tries its best. Sure, we'll be rejected on occasion, but we just have to move on. Outsiders who criticize Edmonton usually don't understand Edmonton, but I think there are some that mention room for improvement.

C2E SME

I'm sure that if Edmonton wins Expo 2017, that the SE (and West) LRT lines will be built. If the Expo is hosted in the River Valley, the Muttart station could be a very strategic location for visitors. If the Expo is hosted in different venues, there might have to be the possibility that the river valley would have to be connected by some kind of rail transport. Would it be worthwhile to connect Muttart with Telus Field and Kinsmen or Government Centre? A low-floor LRT spur could be built, with one or two cars running during the day.

C2E SME

So just wondering, is there a planned location for the Expo site. Based off of expo 86 in Vancouver the river valley would not be a good location for the our expo site. My assumption is that expo would be best located on the municipal airport lands.

I too believe that if/when we would get the Expo 2017 that one of the things that will be immediately improved would be our LRT system. Instead of waiting until 2040 for the whole system to be built I can see everthing super fast tracked to be ready for expo. If it were to be on the airport lands the NWLRT line to St. Albert will be added to the list of lines built.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

We haven't heard much lately on the expo... is it purposefully being ignored? Where do things stand?

Things are happening. A business plan was presented in private to Council on Sept 16th and things are moving forward. From what I understand things are being kept very private for the confidentiality and competitiveness of our bid.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

C2E SME

With Calgary withdrawing, Edmonton can now focus on getting its bid ready for the federal government by the end of the month.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

With Calgary stating financial worries as a reason to pull out, how do we think Joe-public is going to feel about Edmonton "investing" tax dollars in this scheme in the present economic climate? - I'm sure many may think the money could be better utilized elsewhere?

Default Here's a site link if anyone's interested in helping

Quote Originally Posted by andy8244 View Post
    With Calgary stating financial worries as a reason to pull out, how do we think Joe-public is going to feel about Edmonton "investing" tax dollars in this scheme in the present economic climate? - I'm sure many may think the money could be better utilized elsewhere?
    How about you start a thread regarding spending priorities instead of trying to derail other threads?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    The video on the page is pretty decent... makes you realize what is possible.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

With Calgary stating financial worries as a reason to pull out, (...)
    Don't think for one second that was the reason for the pullout...

The lateness and blatant, crass politicking of the bid's timing and structure virtually guaranteed that Calgary would not get into the game on Expo...it angered too many in the provincial cabinet...if Calgary stood a chance, they'd be in it whole hog...or cow...or whatever...

...it was simply a demand for commiserate funding for Calgary should Edmonton get this funding...it was a ME TOO bid...

...but "financial worries" is a great way to divert responsibility and pander to those "potholes play perfect poison parlaying pathetic politics" people...

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    With Calgary stating financial worries as a reason to pull out, (...)
    Don't think for one second that was the reason for the pullout...

The lateness and blatant, crass politicking of the bid's timing and structure virtually guaranteed that Calgary would not get into the game on Expo...it angered too many in the provincial cabinet...if Calgary stood a chance, they'd be in it whole hog...or cow...or whatever...

...it was simply a demand for commiserate funding for Calgary should Edmonton get this funding...it was a ME TOO bid...

...but "financial worries" is a great way to divert responsibility and pander to those "potholes play perfect poison parlaying pathetic politics" people...
    So true, so very true.

Now, the the Mayor of Calgary is thinking Calgary should get a billion bucks + (the billion they would have got had they won and actually hosted Expo) to extend LRT and that LRT (assumedly with the newfound wisdom they would not be supported in their Bid) is more important than EXPO. I wonder if he and the cowgirls and boys on Calgary City Council thought that when Calgary hosted the Winter Olympics. I mean really...like we got a billion when they hosted the Olympics...
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...375/story.html

edit: what was I thinking...The Olympics were in 1988 that is 21 years ago and the Province is still giving millions...to Calgary.
    http://alberta.ca/home/NewsFrame.cfm...F6BBBCB9B.html
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 04-11-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Default What is a Worlds Fair?

What exactly are we bidding on? I understand the Olympics and the other games because people have to come (athletes, their families, support groups such as coaches etc, the media). With the Worlds Fair does anybody have to come? I've never been to one but to me it seems that most people who come would use it for an excuse to visit a city that they wanted to visit anyway. Montreal is known all over the world so it is a natural location for the fair. Vancouver is, well Vancouver. Who wouldn't want to go Vancouver? I can see the fair working for those types of cities. But Edmonton is a different matter. Don't get me wrong, I love this city and have lived here for most of my life (and yes I've had many opportunities go move elsewhere). Think of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Is that city - or those cities - on your list of must see places? If not, would it change if they hosted the Worlds Fair? My answers to those two questions are no and no. Now throw in the fact that we are farther away from most people than any other city that has hosted this fair, and you begin to understand my concerns. The legacy infrastructure would be great. But if you throw a big party and nobody comes, who pays? This is a big gamble. I welcome anybody to show me that my concerns are unfounded.

If a Worlds Fair wouldn't make you want to visit Minneapolis/St. Paul we are in big trouble!

Voice, to answer your question simply investigate how Seattle or Vancouver used the Expo as a galvanizing point to redefine themselves and come into their own.

Before 1986 Vancouver was not the lotus land it is now, particularly down on the docks.

Montreal 1967 - What exactly made a natural tourist destination?

It is a big gamble and that is exactly why this south campus idea is nothing but lame. We need to go bit or go home.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Voice...

Your concerns are not unfounded. However, MylesC has a point. Vancouver in the late 1970's and early 1980's is definitely not the Vancouver you see today, especially in the old Expo site on False Creek. You could light that water on fire at one time with all the oil and fuel leaks that abounded there. Expo was the galvanizing point for the rejuvenation of that city. Before then, Vancouver was not that attractive - it simply rained too much...and was actually quite industrial.

This is still the time where Canada ended at Winnipeg, and anything "west of Winnipeg" was the hinterland. ...and trust me...there were plenty of naysayers to Transpo86...as in who will come to rainy Vancouver...

I will agree that as is, where is, Edmonton is not that first choice destination. The goal here would be to utilize this event to provide that galvanizing effort to bring people not only to Canada, but to improve Edmonton. That is why things like site location and theme are crucial.

Your example of MSP is apt, but I would say that with an Expo, MSP would not be a bad place to visit. I spent some quality time in Minnesota, and the place is not that bad. I'd visit Expo 2020 in Minnie...if the theme and the event was programmed right....

....and that's the kicker. Programming...giving people a reason to come to Canada, and by extension...Edmonton. The key thing that our friends at the EEDC forgot is that the Olympics are seen as the CANADIAN Olympics...hosted in Vancouver. EXPO 2017 is CANADA'S Expo...hosted in Edmonton. So, of course every city and province will be here...as we should have been in Van2010....

A poorly programmed fair will bring nada to Edmonton...you have to give people a reason to come and a site to behold...

Otherwise...forget the party...and build the vaunted campus and LRT...save us the embarassment.

Big gamble...yes...but the retort cliche is nothing ventured...nothing gained...

So what does it take to make such a gamble a success? Certain a lot of luck (no financial melt-down in 2017, no major terrorist attacks south of the border, etc) but what about things we have control over. Where should it be, if not south campus? What should it offer people? Presumably we don't need to build a big Montreal style sphere but we must have some defining thing or place. What is our False Creek. Certainly not the quarters as that is just a remnant of what it once was and another building just went down this week.

What would it take to make the world take notice?

If an EXPO bid for Edmonton was based on the theme of "A World Beyond Oil", I suppose we could present an Edmonton as a ghost town in 100 years. As much as everyone here may want to believe places like Edmonton can be great cities, they never will be. Landscapes that are void of geographical value do not make for world class cities. People live near water...and by water I don't mean glacial melt tributaries. Vancouver may have been a hell hole prior to '86, but it was a great place waiting to happen geographically. Face it, Calgary will be in the same boat as Edmonton in 100 years, and so will all the recreational hubs around them which require them to survive, at which point our resources are either deminished or moved past. This doesn't mean we can't enjoy Edmonton today and make the best of it. But false hope can lead to a lot of wasted money.

Wow... there's an ignorant point of view for you all to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorc View Post
    If an EXPO bid for Edmonton was based on the theme of "A World Beyond Oil", I suppose we could present an Edmonton as a ghost town in 100 years. As much as everyone here may want to believe places like Edmonton can be great cities, they never will be. Landscapes that are void of geographical value do not make for world class cities. People live near water...and by water I don't mean glacial melt tributaries. Vancouver may have been a hell hole prior to '86, but it was a great place waiting to happen geographically. Face it, Calgary will be in the same boat as Edmonton in 100 years, and so will all the recreational hubs around them which require them to survive, at which point our resources are either deminished or moved past. This doesn't mean we can't enjoy Edmonton today and make the best of it. But false hope can lead to a lot of wasted money.
    I think that there is a great future for cities that do not have threats of tsunami's, earthquakes, floods, hurricanes etc. In fact in Canada, how many major cities can make that claim along with Edmonton? Of course we do have the occasional tornado. As for geographical value, check this photo posted by Herr_Verlage in the Images of Edmonton forum. Now that is geographical value!

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    So what does it take to make such a gamble a success?......What should it offer people? ..... Presumably we don't need to build a big Montreal style sphere but we must have some defining thing or place.
    What would it take to make the world take notice?
    That's what has me a little concerned about the Edmonton Expo bid. Can such a generic (yet somehow still divisive) a theme as energy really captivate and inspire people?.

Just look at most of the supportive talk on the web even. Almost universally, the supporters are quite vocal about the positive impacts that the Fair could bring (increased exposure for Edmonton, possible LRT expansion, new Bridge, redevelopment opportunities, etc) but far less about the actual exhibit itself. Perhaps because it's so far in the future still and everything is quite vauge, but I've yet to hear someone say 'Wow! I can't wait to see the pavillion from country X or see the wonderful display of technology from company / university Y.'

I'm begining to believe that the Expo format is an anachronism from another tme. Does it still have relevance in todays world? Comparing the expo to Montreal 67, I'm starting to think the answer is no.

Default Mandel urges businesses to step up for Edmonton causes

Mandel urges businesses to step up for Edmonton causes
    Pushes Expo 2017, developing airport lands, fighting homelessness
    BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM NOVEMBER 15, 2010 5:03 PM

EDMONTON — Mayor Stephen Mandel called Monday for businesses to help Edmonton achieve its goals of hosting Expo 2017, fighting homelessness and developing the City Centre Airport.

He told an Edmonton Chamber of Commerce luncheon the city needs to hear more from companies about their roles in dealing with these key issues.

“As we work to frame an Expo bid, as we place structure around our vision for the airport lands, as we consider ways of re-energizing our core communities … we will need to hear more about the business role in these efforts,” Mandel said.

“I hope you will take up this challenge and look for more ways in which you can be involved as a partner with city council … we really need your help.”

Mandel also repeated his hope that the proposed five-per-cent hike in property taxes next year can be whittled down to three per cent.

But in the long term, council will have to bring escalating wage costs for city workers into line, deal with a growing bureaucracy and find a way for municipalities to receive a fairer share of the total Canadian tax dollar, he said.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...#ixzz15OxApDOq

Default Feds overdue in throwing support behind Expo 2017 bid

Feds overdue in throwing support behind Expo 2017 bid
    BY DAVID STAPLES, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM NOVEMBER 19, 2010 6:41 AM

Alarm is growing in Edmonton that it's taking so long for Stephen Harper's government to get behind the city's bid for Expo 2017.

Local developer Randy Ferguson, who is on the Expo bid committee, expected to see federal backing by late September 2010. "I've worried ever since, and my worry has increased through the month of October, and now into November my worry has become alarm," he says. "I'm deeply alarmed."

Mayor Stephen Mandel and Premier Ed Stelmach this week called for the federal government to act. "There's a growing frustration in Alberta," Ferguson says, "and it's reflected in what you are hearing from of our leaders, because everyone knows the passage of time will weaken our chances of winning an Expo."

Ferguson now thinks Edmonton has less than a 50/50 chance of gaining federal approval. If Ferguson is right about those odds, that's as disappointing as it is unacceptable.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...#ixzz15kK8lX1m

Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12