Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Ed Need to find something in Edmonton? Have a question about moving, travelling or living here? This is the place to get answers from people who know.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Ask Ed

Old 15-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Default Cheap place for Video Cables locally

Hey All,

I'm quite aware I could go online to buy video cables for cheap, but I like to keep my money locally, if I can, without spending too much. I'm also kind of impatient, and don't want to wait 7-14 business days for my cables to arrive.

I'm looking for DVI-D to HDMI cables, or DVI-D to DVI-D.

Anyone know of places locally that sell cables for reasonable prices

*future shop/best buy has huge marks up*

This is the site that I was considering buying from, but would rather remain local, use for price comparison

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
sbrussell
Partially Addicted to C2E

Is Micros still in business? My dad used to drag me there as a kid. I still have bad dreams about that place.
sbrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
newfangled
Addicted to C2E

Everyone seems to think that HDMI is a license to print money - it's not just FS and BB. I don't think you'll ever even come close to monoprice.
newfangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Here is some useful info for you. Sorry I can't help you with your original question.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11276_7...content;rb_mtx
Old 15-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
Jeff
Addicted to C2E

Medwards, buddy... BCOM

(I expect 1 get out of jail free card - thanks)
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Considering the same cable is 5.09 at monoprice, and bcom is 27.99 thats not as cheap as I was hoping...

(sorry, not get out of jail cards available with this monopoly set)
Old 15-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #7
richardW
Addicted to C2E

try memory express, ive always found their prices reasonable. sure they have the lame overpriced monster cables but the salespeople are usually smart enough to not push that garbage on you.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/
richardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
lat
Addicted to C2E

http://www.b-com.ca/
lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #9
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

Unfortunately monoprice is virtually impossible to beat in a local store. Retail stores will typically only care brand name, expensive cables that have 100% or more markup. It's kind of ridiculous, but unfortunately the public has been totally deceived by Monster and others into thinking that somehow buying a $200 HDMI or optical cable will give you "cleaner" or "stronger" 1's and 0's.

Heck, even for cables carrying analog and not digital signals, like speaker wire, you don't need to break the bank. Just pick up some thicker gauge copper cabling from Home Depot by the box.

Amusing link: http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/a...ter-cable-and/
raz0469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
DTrobotnik
Addicted to C2E

what do you expect from stores that need to compensate for overhead? keeping it local is a nice sentiment but sometimes the rules of economics get the best of us. it's not like the components that you actually need the cables for were made locally or purchased (probability -1) at a locally owned store
DTrobotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

there is overhead, and then there is 300-500% markup...

I bought the cables from monoprice.com earlier today that I needed. I ordered expedited shipping, and they will be here sometime this week, for much cheaper then any alternative locally...
Old 16-11-2008, 11:57 PM   #12
Jeff
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
there is overhead, and then there is 300-500% markup...

I bought the cables from monoprice.com earlier today that I needed. I ordered expedited shipping, and they will be here sometime this week, for much cheaper then any alternative locally...
dude - in this example, obviously buying local retail versus U.S. based importer-wholesaler/distributor only makes sense if the "urgency of need/convenience" outweighs cost considerations. Apparently your expressed desire to buy local couldn't match your willingness to fill the coffers of monoprice and UPS... perhaps you should have tried the Bargain Finder (snickerô)
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #13
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

Princess Auto on 163 and 112 regualry has cables available for about 10% of everyone else's asking price.
Blueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #14
IKAN104
Addicted to C2E

Med, I'm in the market for some HDMI cables myself. I noticed on that site the cables are advertised as HDMI 1.3 or 1.3a. Are these numbers significant? Is this the newest version? like USB 1.0 vs 2.0? Should I care about numbers like that or will any HDMI cable do?

I know this is off topic and you've already made your decision on where to buy but perhaps this thread could morph a bit.
IKAN104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

My dad buys cables from some small warehouse-like place on Calgary Trail for dirt cheap. He got me an HDMI cable for $10 or some ridiculously reasonable price.

I'll have to remember to ask him.
MrOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #16
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

I'm not really sure, to be honest. It looks like 1.3a is the latest standard, so you should look to buy ones with that compliance. Again though, just use monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10240

Virtually any cable you buy there will be fine. Compare the prices to say, a Monster one, and it's hilarious the difference in price for cables that will perform identically.

From monoprice's knowledge base:

Quote:
Question: Will HDMI 1.3a cables work with my non-1.3 devices? Will non-1.3 cables work with my 1.3 devices?
Answer: Yes, all versions of HDMI are backward and forward compatible. They will all work but non-1.3 cables will not support extended bandwidth features of 1.3 devices like "Deep Color."

Last edited by raz0469; 17-11-2008 at 10:49 AM..
raz0469 is offline   Reply With Quote