Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Ed Need to find something in Edmonton? Have a question about moving, travelling or living here? This is the place to get answers from people who know.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Ask Ed

Old 08-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
PineJockey
First One is Always Free

Default Going rate for Babysitters?

Hi all,

We're going to be using a 16 year old neighbour as a babysitter tonight. Anyone know the going rate? She isn't much help, since she insists that she will just do it for free -- but we'd rather give her something.
PineJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
McCauley resident
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineJockey View Post
Hi all,

We're going to be using a 16 year old neighbour as a babysitter tonight. Anyone know the going rate? She isn't much help, since she insists that she will just do it for free -- but we'd rather give her something.
I am not sure what you mean by "She isn't much help"......

If she is responsible enough not to invite her friends over & she keeps your children safe - she is a lot of help.....

I have no idea what babysitters charge... Still, even though she says she will do it for free - I'd give her $5 an hour....
Old 08-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Jimbo
Addicted to C2E

I think he meant she isn't much help coming up with a figure.

I'm not much help either, either way you look at it. Sorry.

Someone here's gotta know, but I think we have a lot of posters who don't have kids on this forum.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
McCauley resident
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

I think he meant she isn't much help coming up with a figure.
You are absolutely correct.......

Misunderstandings sometimes happen when I'm speed reading while doing something else at the same time......
Old 08-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCauley resident View Post
I have no idea what babysitters charge... Still, even though she says she will do it for free - I'd give her $5 an hour....
$5 an hour? Are you for real? That's not even close to minimum wage these days. I got paid that to babysit kids 10 years ago now. I know in this situation (since the neighbour offered to do it for free) anything would do, but $5/hr is an insult... I would think someone's children are worth more than that.
etownboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Transplanted_Edm
Addicted to C2E

She is being nice and polite when she says she'll do it for free - in reality she's expecting money.

Ask yourself the following questions: is this somebody I trust? is this somebody I'd like to make a good impression on so that I can call on them again, possibly at short notice?

Don't compare against "normal" figures like what the minimum wage is or what teenagers might earn doing other jobs.

I would say don't focus on the hourly rate at all but call it $40 or $50 for the evening. Maybe $40 plus she can order pizza for dinner or something.
Transplanted_Edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
McCauley resident
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
Quote:

I have no idea what babysitters charge...
$5 an hour? Are you for real?
This topic thread sits here for more than 24 hours without any response or assistance from anyone...

So I offer input clearly stating I have no idea what babysitters charge........ And I get jumped on.....

I am so sorry for trying to help...........
Old 08-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
ThomasH
Addicted to C2E

Start at Minimum wage and go from there.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
richardW
Addicted to C2E

whatever you decide to pay, make it something you will be comfortable paying for any following babysitting jobs, like i mean if the person will be doing it regularly make it something that wont change night by night.
richardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
Ins
Addicted to C2E

We've paid from $5-$8 an hour. 2 kids under 5. We've paid $8 for older kids to babysit.
Ins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
Jimbo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
Quote:

I have no idea what babysitters charge...
$5 an hour? Are you for real?
This topic thread sits here for more than 24 hours without any response or assistance from anyone...

So I offer input clearly stating I have no idea what babysitters charge........ And I get jumped on.....

I am so sorry for trying to help...........
It was good of you to reply. Like you, I had no idea, but I was going to guess about $5-$7/hr. I do know someone who pays $6/hr for two kids.

I think ETB was wrong in his response to your contribution here.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
DebraW
Addicted to C2E

I am typing this on my blackberry so I need to be brief (and make it easy).

I don't have kids and when I babysit I do not take payment (it is a treat for me!). BUT I spent my whole adolescence babysitting. I remember that no matter how good (or not) the kids were or how many (one regular family had eight including two-year old twins) the thing I most appreciated was not feeling like it was such a hardship to be paid. So have cash and better to overpay somewhat then to undervalue the incredible service that is being done for you. I agree with the set cost be it fifty dollars for the evening or whatever you are comfortable paying (and as it has been noted would be okay with paying again).

Also, be a doll and be really clear in what the kids/babysitter can and cannot eat/drink, do and the like. Make sure the babysitter knows how to and that they can reach you or a backup (like their parent) if they are unsure of anything.

Come home when you estimate you will! (There was/is nothing worse than waiting and waiting for parents to come home hours after they promised they would be home.)

Next up -- New Year's Eve! The most expensive night to hire a babysitter and the only night I will not help!

Lastly, relax and enjoy the time out. Have fun!
DebraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

I don't think anyone is jumping on any one here -- you all should remember that tone and delivery of word is so much harder in text form. Expression is limited to how the reader wants to feel the words are meant to be spoken. In a forum, a lot of time isn't spent on getting wording right to sound out right. Please keep this in mind, before feeling jumped on.

As for a babysitter, My sister never made minimum wage, but usually had many other benefits to go along with it (Free food, movies ... etc). I would imagine though today, as the labour market is so tough, you may have to pay more the minimum wage to attract someone to babysit, as it would be much easier to just go out and get a job that will pay 10-12/hr...
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #14
Ins
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
I don't think anyone is jumping on any one here -- you all should remember that tone and delivery of word is so much harder in text form. Expression is limited to how the reader wants to feel the words are meant to be spoken. In a forum, a lot of time isn't spent on getting wording right to sound out right. Please keep this in mind, before feeling jumped on.

As for a babysitter, My sister never made minimum wage, but usually had many other benefits to go along with it (Free food, movies ... etc). I would imagine though today, as the labour market is so tough, you may have to pay more the minimum wage to attract someone to babysit, as it would be much easier to just go out and get a job that will pay 10-12/hr...
Babysitting market isn't really wage driven. Kids either want to do it or not for the most part. Although paying too little may make the kids busy next time, there's no need to pay $10 /hr.
Ins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #15
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Come on, don't be a cheapskate.

The husband and wife wants to go out without the kids. Pinejockey mentioned the next door neighbor girl will do it. So obviously the trust factor is already settled. If the 16 year old is good at looking after the kids, you want to keep her as the babysitter. Pay her well and it is one less worry for the parents.

This is a free market, under-the-table transaction. No GST, employment insurance, workers comp paperwork involved. Laissez faire is being practiced here.

Pay the girl $10-$12/hour.
North Guy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
Escondido
Partially Addicted to C2E

I've asked around and it seems the going rate in my circles is $6 per hour. It is nice to set a wage and then round up vs round down when you have the opportunity and be hospitable.
Escondido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #17
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Personally I would say $8-$10, plus a couple video rentals and food.
etownboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #18
Locallady
First One is Always Free

I agree with the set rate for the whole night...
I did a lot of baby-sitting in my youth and my rate was different for different families, depending on the frequency they used me and the purpose. One family had me sit while they went to lane swimming... 3 hours once a week. That earned me $4/h. Other people would want a sitter to come and stay until the very late night while they went out to party, which was a set amount ($25). I liked the set amount because you knew what you'd come out with, and seeing as it was night, it's not like you're doing any extra work to sit on their couch while the kids sleep.
I don't think $25 is too cheap even now, but try to remember that this 16 year old could very easily get a part time job.
I'd say if this is a "dinner and a movie" type night, $30.
If you're going to stay out late, pay extra.

and definitely have some snacks for the sitter!
Locallady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
IKAN104
Addicted to C2E

My 12 year old son babysits for a couple down the street every once in a while. They have two little boys. They don't pay a set hourly rate but it usually ends up being in the $4 to $5 per hour range and he's happy to do it for that money. That being said, myself I would offer $6 per hour.
IKAN104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #20
PineJockey
First One is Always Free

Thanks all,

We ended up going with about 7 per hour, plus a little bit extra because she came over with an enormous bag full of craft supplies! When we got home, the house was fully decorated.
PineJockey is offline   Reply With Quote