Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sports, sports, and more sports! Edmonton is a sports-crazy city, and everyone has an opinion. From the Oilers to the Eskimos, from the Edmonton Capitals baseball team, the Edmonton Energy, to the Edmonton Rush and the Golden Bears and Pandas, the Rexall Edmonton Indy, not to mention all of the amateur sports this city supports – this forum is your chance to discuss, comment and review what’s going on.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Life in Edmonton > Sports, sports, and more sports!

Old 30-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
MJ
Addicted to C2E

Default Millwoods Golf Course

A colleague had talked to someone at the pro shop at the Millwoods Golf Course today. He was told quite openly by the fellow there that the course will be closed. It has been purchased -- by none other than Daryl Katz.

Figured this would be the place to just state this outright based on my colleague's phone call today. Prove, disprove, confirm, deny. Don't shoot the messenger.

If Katz has purchased this piece of primo real estate, the pro shop made it sound as if it would be used for something other than a golf course. I'm not so sure if this should be news, but it's news to me even if we're not going to read about it in the dailies anytime soon. And if I've stumbled on something that we shouldn't even be talking about on a public forum, just axe this thread.

I'm not a golfer whatsoever, but isn't this one of the better golf courses in the area? Or would golfers not miss this venue?

I'm not a big fan of extending this and figuring this is a place for a new arena. That's just simple conjecture and I think foolish. This is a thread about the golf course.
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Hmmm, interesting. Why would he buy this piece of land for any other reason than to use it as a golf course. I don't really know if you could build much on the land, wasn't it a landfill once upon a time?
etownboarder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

I don't think the golf course is being closed for a new arena. Katz made it clear he wants the new arena in downtown.
Old 30-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
MJ
Addicted to C2E

LOL @ SDM. Thanks for derailing the thread early -- exactly why I was leery to post this in the first place. Also why I wrote my concluding line about simple conjecture being foolish.

GOLF COURSE, not arena. What's up with the course and has anyone else information substantiating or downright disproving Katz making this purchase. Anything about closures, or is this pro shop guy right out to lunch?
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
glasshead
Addicted to C2E

I tell ya, golf courses and cemeteries are the biggest wastes of prime real estate - Al Czervik (Rodney Dangerfield)
glasshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
IanO
Addicted to C2E

perhaps the 'backup' plan should our city ***** too much about the downtown option?

maybe not

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Who owns the Millwoods golf course? Is it the City of Edmonton?
North Guy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
sdimedru
Addicted to C2E

I personally don't enjoy the course, and think they charge way to much.

Just my opinion though...
Old 30-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

It's a pretty mediocre golf course, I wouldn't shed a tear if it was developed in to something else. There's plenty of golf courses in and around the city, and personally I think they're a terrible waste of land within city limits. Don't get me wrong I golf myself and don't advocate shutting them all down, especially not those with lots of history, but Mill Woods isn't one of them.

This has nothing to do with an arena, even if Katz is involved. It would make zero sense whatsoever. First of all he's not building or owning the arena himself, so he'd have little reason to buy land for it. Northlands or the city or whatever organization is to own the arena would be doing that. Second it's not near LRT. Third, if we're going to build a new suburban arena, we may as well just waste money refurbishing Rexall for the billionth time.

I wonder how much validity there even is to the rumor about Katz buying the golf course. I hear his name attributed to so many whacky rumors around the city it's kind of funny.
raz0469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
LindseyT
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
I don't really know if you could build much on the land, wasn't it a landfill once upon a time?
Even if you could engineer it to withstand the geotechnical issues....I don't know how anybody would ever allow you to build a large structure given all the issues with methane and other gases released during the decomposition process.
Old 31-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

LOL!!!

it comes full circle

http://www.oilersnation.com/index2.p...uff/#more-3349
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

/facepalm
Old 04-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
CigarHippo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
It's a pretty mediocre golf course, I wouldn't shed a tear if it was developed in to something else. There's plenty of golf courses in and around the city, and personally I think they're a terrible waste of land within city limits. Don't get me wrong I golf myself and don't advocate shutting them all down, especially not those with lots of history, but Mill Woods isn't one of them.

This has nothing to do with an arena, even if Katz is involved. It would make zero sense whatsoever. First of all he's not building or owning the arena himself, so he'd have little reason to buy land for it. Northlands or the city or whatever organization is to own the arena would be doing that. Second it's not near LRT. Third, if we're going to build a new suburban arena, we may as well just waste money refurbishing Rexall for the billionth time.

I wonder how much validity there even is to the rumor about Katz buying the golf course. I hear his name attributed to so many whacky rumors around the city it's kind of funny.
ditto, what raz sez....the millwoods course sux and is expensive, i won't be sad if it closes...there are dozens of better and cheaper courses out there.
plus, imo its a great location to build an arena. the space is huge and it accomodate a nice huge parking lot and a 20,000+ seater arena.
nobody seems to realise there is no big enough area in downtown to build the arena, you need a huge piece of real estate, and the millwoods golf course is simply ideal......nobody figured this out....except Katz.... he's a millionaire for a reason.
so i don't see it as a rumour... it totally makes sense.
CigarHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #14
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

And once again:

/facepalm

It's like you didn't even read my post.

First of all, there's been NOTHING to confirm that the golf course has even been bought by anyone. Second, nothing to indicate Katz is involved. Third, Katz would not buy land for an arena as he is NOT building it himself, the city or Northlands would be and hence it would make zero sense for him to be buying land for a potential arena site. Fourth, any new or renovated arena will either be at Northlands or Downtown, and nowhere else. Nothing else makes a lick of sense.

Again, this is just a silly rumor.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
CigarHippo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
And once again:

/facepalm

It's like you didn't even read my post.

First of all, there's been NOTHING to confirm that the golf course has even been bought by anyone. Second, nothing to indicate Katz is involved. Third, Katz would not buy land for an arena as he is NOT building it himself, the city or Northlands would be and hence it would make zero sense for him to be buying land for a potential arena site. Fourth, any new or renovated arena will either be at Northlands or Downtown, and nowhere else. Nothing else makes a lick of sense.

Again, this is just a silly rumor.
so? i like playing with rumours, its fun.
i just like the idea of him buying the mwgc and building an arena there... it makes sense to me.... facepalm yourself all you want, but i'm all for it.
besides, its a frickin arena in a the north pole, the world will keep revolving around the sun regardless of where its built and life will go on in the real world.
CigarHippo is offline   Reply With Quote