Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Ed Need to find something in Edmonton? Have a question about moving, travelling or living here? This is the place to get answers from people who know.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Ask Ed

Old 17-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
KenL2
Addicted to C2E

Default Is there a Central High-Rise Condo that is Dog Freindly

Hi Folks,

Friends of mine are moving to Edmonton in the New Year and are looking to rent a High-Rise, newer, nicer Condo in the Central Core, issue is they have a dog, and there seems to be this aversion to having dogs in Condos here in Edmonton, with most Landlords or Condo Boards restricting dogs either completely or having criteria.

Their dog is a Bull Terrier, I know, OMG a Pit Bull, I've known this dog for 3 years and have rarely heard him bark, he is incredibly well trained and just a fun friendly animal. Yet people see him and freak out, they have had issues before where people in thier Condo in Calgary have complained he looks viscious, dangerous, and they have actually been threatened to be fined even though the dog has done nothing, he just looks scary. So they get harrassed by the Condo board while Shepherds and Black lab owners never have an issue. Personally I have had larger issues with smaller, cuter dogs than I ever have with the large breeds

Anyway, price isn't really an issue, they just want to be in an urban area downtown and have their dog with them, so if any of you have suggestions or experiences of Central Condos(the Core, Jasper west, Sask Drive etc) that would be really appreciated

Thank you very much

Ken
Old 17-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^we have a thread on this somewhere (more on appartments).

Crescent Place in Glenora is dog friendly (corner of 139 and SPR, so slightly out of the core but still perhaps "inner city").
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
KenL2
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
^we have a thread on this somewhere (more on appartments).

Crescent Place in Glenora is dog friendly (corner of 139 and SPR, so slightly out of the core but still perhaps "inner city").
I'm looking for higher end, and closer to the core thanks, they are willing to spends upwards of $2000 / month
Old 17-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^the penthouses there could work, but yeah, not exactly urban living.
Old 17-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
KenL2
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
^the penthouses there could work, but yeah, not exactly urban living.
No, they enjoy being close to restaurants, shops that kind of thing, you know keep the travel to on foot as much as possible and are really only considering the areas I mentioned.

Thanks for the idea though, keep them coming people
Old 17-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Here's the thread, its stickied at top of ask-ed:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=2221
Old 17-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

I would search Kijiji for pvt rentals if they are willing to go 2000 a month.
Old 17-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
KenL2
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
I would search Kijiji for pvt rentals if they are willing to go 2000 a month.
They are willing to go $2000plus they pay $2600 now in Calgary in a 3 year old building downtown, very nice place.

I'm thinking Illuminada, Serenity, Icon, Omega etc, I live in the Icon and well there are some stuffed shirts that have been dicks to people with dogs in that building so don't think the dog would fly there, but they have been to my place and like that type of building if that helps
Old 17-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Phillips Lofts is pet friendly. I know #107 was up for rent recently, not sure if it still is or if there are any others. Price range is about right. It's not a high rise but I don't see that being an issue.
Marcel Petrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
KenL2
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
Phillips Lofts is pet friendly. I know #107 was up for rent recently, not sure if it still is or if there are any others. Price range is about right. It's not a high rise but I don't see that being an issue.

Yeah I can see them from my place, I've never been inside but I hear they are quite well done inside. I will definitely add that to the list, I'm kinda acting as the recon guy since they aren't here, so any suggestions are excellent thanks Marcel
Old 17-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

You could always ask building management companies that do third party rentals. You know, people who go through them to rent their premises. They may have some downtown condo's on their books. Could save your friends some running around.
Old 17-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Your Realtor may also be able to help

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-real-est...AdIdZ420634837

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-real-est...AdIdZ420872394

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 17-10-2012 at 11:32 AM..
edmonton daily photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
EveB
Addicted to C2E

Location: Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
You could always ask building management companies that do third party rentals. You know, people who go through them to rent their premises. They may have some downtown condo's on their books. Could save your friends some running around.
I noticed a few realtors coming up over and over in the listings when I was doing my apartment search last May. It's an excellent suggestion because a lot of times, apartment vacancies don't show up on any published lists especially for private condo investor types. It's easier if they use a professional to scope out the potential tenants.

It's easier on a special needs tenant also because they only have to describe their pooch once and the realtor / management company can take it from there.

Eve
EveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

Well, if someone is prepared to spend $2,000 and up on renting a condo for themselves and their pooch I think they should try to get professionals to look for them.
Old 18-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
KenL2
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
Well, if someone is prepared to spend $2,000 and up on renting a condo for themselves and their pooch I think they should try to get professionals to look for them.
thats probably the best idea Gemini, they have been pretty succesful in the past hunting for themselves, but maybe this time an agent would be the way to go!.

I'm still up for idea's though that they can present to the agent, so keep them comin folks
Old 18-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
aaronjose
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL2 View Post
Hi Folks,

Friends of mine are moving to Edmonton in the New Year and are looking to rent a High-Rise, newer, nicer Condo in the Central Core, issue is they have a dog, and there seems to be this aversion to having dogs in Condos here in Edmonton, with most Landlords or Condo Boards restricting dogs either completely or having criteria.
search here:
http://www.philipenko.com/search.html

Here you can find any type of Condo.
aaronjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #17
Jess
Partially Addicted to C2E

Even if the building is pet friendly, you should note that up until yesterday, the City of Edmonton had a restricted dog bylaw that singled out Pit Bulls, Knowing this, even though the bylaw will change as of next week, there are VERY serious liability implications should the condo board approve such an animal. Even though our building is "pet friendly" it still requires written approval from the board. Approving an animal that has a history of being a restricted breed opens the corporation up to liability should an incident occur where the animal attacks anyone. Our board is currently dealing with an owner that brought in a pit bull without approval... Not a good situation for anyone. Unfair, yes, but it is reality unfortunately.... This dog is better behaved than some of the others in the building.

Last edited by Jess; 18-10-2012 at 10:59 PM..
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote