Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Ed Need to find something in Edmonton? Have a question about moving, travelling or living here? This is the place to get answers from people who know.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Ask Ed

Old 05-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
PineJockey
First One is Always Free

Default Telus Satellite HDTV?

Besides all of the usual customer service complaints, does anyone out there have experience with the new Telus Satellite service? I think it is the same as Bell ExpressVue from out East.

Edit: I'd also be interested in hearing about Shaw Direct satellite service

My inlaws felt pity on us and purchased us a HDTV, which was very kind.

But now I'm stuck having to upgrade my cable service if I want to take advantage of it.

Currently I have all three (phone, internet, digital cable) with Shaw, and I've been really happy. But Shaw's HD prices are ridiculously high -- especially compared to satellite.

So, I've been looking around at other options. Telus Cable is not available in HD in my area (Beverly Heights), but Telus Satellite is.

With all the incentives & promotions, it is coming out at half the price of Shaw for the first year, still less than Shaw for year #2, in addition to not having to purchase or rent an HD digital receiver. Plus you get more channels and greater flexibility.

Any comments on the Telus Satellite service would be much appreciated -- No need for general Telus info, I know their customer service sucks in general.

Last edited by PineJockey; 05-10-2009 at 12:34 PM..
PineJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Yup.... TELUS Satellite IS Bell. TELUS actually bought out Bell satellite. As far as upgrading cable service in order to get HD, unfortunately it doesn't matter what provider you go to,you are going to pay more for a HD signal. It is still new technology,and until more people make the switch you are going to pay more. Sorry to hear about your service problems with TELUS. I have had TELUS TV for almost 3 years now,and I have had nothing but exceptional service from their tech support people. YMMV

Last edited by Barry N; 05-10-2009 at 01:04 PM..
Barry N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
PineJockey
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
Yup.... TELUS Satellite IS Bell. TELUS actually bought out Bell satellite. As far as upgrading cable service in order to get HD, unfortunately it doesn't matter what provider you go to,you are going to pay more for a HD signal.
Any reviews on the Satellite vs Cable (either Telus or Shaw)? Because the satellite hdtv is cheaper than the regular non-hd cable . . .
Old 05-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

No, sorry I don't have info on that.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Newsflash: They all suck equally. Every company has the exact same channels, and all cost within a dollar or two of each other. The only real differentiation is quality of service, and I'll take cable over satellite since Shaw's service is ok and I don't need a gross dish or 3 bolted to the front of my home (tacky as hell).

If you already have Shaw, get cable and get the bundle discounts.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
PineJockey
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
Newsflash: They all suck equally. Every company has the exact same channels, and all cost within a dollar or two of each other. The only real differentiation is quality of service, and I'll take cable over satellite since Shaw's service is ok and I don't need a gross dish or 3 bolted to the front of my home (tacky as hell).

If you already have Shaw, get cable and get the bundle discounts.
Uhhhh. No they don't all have the same channels, and they certainly don't cost with a dollar or two of each other. I already have Shaw's cheapest cable/internet/phone bundle, and Telus or Shaw Direct Satellite costs are much, much cheaper.

Shaw Cable:
HD TV (which is what you need if you want TSN & Sportsnet) Bundled Price: $69.95/month PLUS a minimum of $9/month to own or 12.95/month to rent the smallest HD box. This is a minimum of $78/month . . .

Shaw Satellite
Bronze Package with HD Sports Extra = $42.98/month. No rental fees for box.

The two packages aren't exactly equivalent, but they are close enough to be comparable. $35/month is a fair chunk of change.

Telus Satellite is comparable to Shaw Direct.

The question is -- is the quality similar?

Last edited by PineJockey; 05-10-2009 at 03:14 PM..
Old 05-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

I doubt you'll notice any difference in the picture quality between Shaw Direct and Telus Satellite. The technology isn't exactly new.
etownboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

Satellite has a max resolution of 780i I believe.. while some HD cable channels do come through at 1080. So yes, there is a difference.
AAAAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^A lot of broadcasts are only in 720, and the difference isn't noticable unless you have a TV bigger than 50 inches. Here's a source:

Quote:
Whether you're dealing with 1080p/24 or standard 1080p/60, doesn't alter our overall views about 1080p TVs. We still believe that when you're dealing with TVs 50 inches and smaller, the added resolution has only a very minor impact on picture quality. In our tests, we put 720p (or 768p) sets next to 1080p sets, then feed them both the same source material, whether it's 1080i or 1080p, from the highest-quality Blu-ray player. We typically watch both sets for a while, with eyes darting back and forth between the two, looking for differences in the most-detailed sections, such as hair, textures of fabric, and grassy plains. Bottom line: It's almost always very difficult to see any difference--especially from farther than 8 feet away on a 50-inch TV.
http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

HD is HD, at some point, our eyes don't register the difference.
moahunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
Kevin_Foster
Addicted to C2E

I had bell Hd, loved it, but hated where I had to put my satellite (blocked some views, and not allowed on my roof).

I had to switch to Shaw HD cable, and my thoughts:
- Quality is good, comparable to the satellite.
- I found it to be more expensive (although I dont have my bills side by side)
- My biggest complaint - The shaw DVR interface/program is the PITS compared to Bells User Interface. Shaw desperately needs to upgrade their software. It's not that user friendly, and is sluggish and far behind bells UI. It feels like I'm navigating around windows 3.1; with a very, very slow processor.
Kevin_Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^I noticed that when I switched from Shaw to TELUS. Either the TELUS menus are really good, or Shaw's really suck.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
^A lot of broadcasts are only in 720, and the difference isn't noticable unless you have a TV bigger than 50 inches. Here's a source:

Quote:
Whether you're dealing with 1080p/24 or standard 1080p/60, doesn't alter our overall views about 1080p TVs. We still believe that when you're dealing with TVs 50 inches and smaller, the added resolution has only a very minor impact on picture quality. In our tests, we put 720p (or 768p) sets next to 1080p sets, then feed them both the same source material, whether it's 1080i or 1080p, from the highest-quality Blu-ray player. We typically watch both sets for a while, with eyes darting back and forth between the two, looking for differences in the most-detailed sections, such as hair, textures of fabric, and grassy plains. Bottom line: It's almost always very difficult to see any difference--especially from farther than 8 feet away on a 50-inch TV.
http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

HD is HD, at some point, our eyes don't register the difference.
HD is absolutely NOT HD. Digital signals are often compressed so that they can squeeze more channels in to the same bandwidth, leaving artifacts and poor image quality. One 720p picture is not the same as another. I don't know the various local services and which are better or worse, but it's flat out ignorant to claim that "HD is HD". That's absolutely untrue.

As far as perceptible differences between 720p/1080i/1080p, that's wholly dependent on your TV and how far you sit away from it. If it's a 50-60" TV and you're 5-10' away, you probably won't notice a difference between them. However if you sit closer, or have a larger screen, it does become noticeable. In addition some people, such as myself, are extremely sensitive to interlaced signals and can find them to be extremely distracting.

Last edited by raz0469; 06-10-2009 at 10:25 AM..
raz0469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #13
noodle
Addicted to C2E

I can see a clean and marked difference between cable and Satellite HD feeds of the exact same program at the same resolution, just like I can tell a difference between the HD movies on MovieCentral and a Blu-Ray. That's due to recompression, not resolution differences which are even more trivial to notice.

Just because you can't tell the difference doesn't mean that other's can't nor that there isn't one. I'm one of the people who can't watch single chip DLP TVs (thank goodness that technology has fallen out of favor for home theatre usage), so perhaps I'm just sensitive.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #14
noodle
Addicted to C2E

Satellite.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^Did you read higher in thread, where it is said that satellite has lower resolution? I thought you noticed those things (even though expert reviewers can't, unless 50 inch plus / or sitting stupidly close).
Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
noodle
Addicted to C2E

That'd be wrong though. My Bell PVR provides me with the same 720p/1080i resolution you get from anywhere, but without the recompression typical for both digital cable and IPTV.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #17
RichardS
C2E Junkie

I agree with raz that HD is not HD...I do see the differences between not only programs/signals, but between TV's as well...

I have a DLP 61" 1080p machine...and you definitely notice the difference...I have the same make out at the farmhouse...on sattelite...I see a better picture when hardwired..and a true 1080 signal

...I know I know...DLP...but I like it...and this Samsung has it right...the LCD Samsung I have is not nearly as bright...but on that 32" screen you couldn't tell 1080p or 720i as a singal...
Old 13-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #18
raz0469
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
^Did you read higher in thread, where it is said that satellite has lower resolution? I thought you noticed those things (even though expert reviewers can't, unless 50 inch plus / or sitting stupidly close).
The "resolution" is the horizontal scan line quantity, so either 720p or 1080i/p. All HD content runs at those resolutions. The picture quality itself, however, can be better or worse even if the resolution is the same. All the resolution is, is the number of pixels on a given image:

720p: 720x1280x60hz = 55,296,000 pixels/second
1080i: 1080x1920x30hz = 62,208,000 pixels/second
1080p: 1080x1920x60hz = 124,416,000 pixels/second

720p/1080i are about the same, in terms of digital information. Depending on how good of a tuner your set has, 720p may be preferable if it doesn't do a good job de-interlacing the 1080i signal and adding in the "missing" frames. 1080p is significantly better.

But again, the content itself can have quality issues even if the actual resolution is the same, and it's often caused by the provider compressing then decompressing the signal to fit more content in the same bandwidth.

You seem to be arguing that 1080p isn't noticeable for most people. I would agree that probably less than 20-30% of people have TV's large enough, or rooms small enough, to necessitate 1080p. However given how inexpensive large TVs are getting, that number is only going to climb. At this point buying a TV not capable of 1080p would be a huge mistake.

Heh, I remember the day my family brought home a brand new, 100lb 27" TV and hooking up my SNES to it. It was glorious. Now I yawn at my 24" 1920x1200 LCD desktop monitor and my 106" projector hooked up to a PS3, HTPC, and cable box and wonder what's next.

Last edited by raz0469; 13-10-2009 at 01:39 PM..
raz0469 is offline   Reply With Quote