Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Arts, Culture & Entertainment Edmonton has a vibrant and broad-based cultural scene, easily one of the most exciting in Canada, if not North America. Check this site for show announcements about theatre, cinema, shows, festivals, concerts, people, the arts in general, and other forms of entertainment. Post your thoughts, comments, announcements here.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Life in Edmonton > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old 16-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Default Edmonton Comic Expo

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...890/story.html

Quote:
Pop culture convention Edmonton Expo 2012 will tumble into town Saturday Oct. 20 and Sunday Oct. 21, bringing with it entertainment icons such as Batman TV series star Adam West and Billy Dee Williams, best known as Lando Calrissian from the Star Wars trilogy.

The film, television, comics, gaming, anime, horror and science fiction event is a first for Edmonton. Fans will get a chance to attend the convention’s workshops and panels, and hear from some of their favourite pop culture icons.

Edmonton Expo is spearheaded by the superheroes behind the Calgary Expo, Canada’s second largest comic-con, and the Edmonton Collectible Toy & Comic Show.

The full guest lineup will be announced in the coming weeks.
Old 16-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Dialog
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...890/story.html

Quote:
Pop culture convention Edmonton Expo 2012 will tumble into town Saturday Oct. 20 and Sunday Oct. 21, bringing with it entertainment icons such as Batman TV series star Adam West and Billy Dee Williams, best known as Lando Calrissian from the Star Wars trilogy.

The film, television, comics, gaming, anime, horror and science fiction event is a first for Edmonton. Fans will get a chance to attend the convention’s workshops and panels, and hear from some of their favourite pop culture icons.

Edmonton Expo is spearheaded by the superheroes behind the Calgary Expo, Canada’s second largest comic-con, and the Edmonton Collectible Toy & Comic Show.

The full guest lineup will be announced in the coming weeks.
Interesting. Yes, it would have been best if this had been started by Edmontonians but the Calgary Comic Expo is such an unabashed success, they must have a lot of clout with bookings, and thus we will stand better chances of getting top names if the event is successful over time. Also it's six months after the Calgary Expo, so it looks like they're giving themselves time to focus on each event.

Billy Dee Williams and Adam West may not be top shelf, but it's starting from scratch.
Old 16-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Word around certain geek campfires said they were attempting to get the original Star Wars cast here, hence the Billy Dee Williams appearance. Will have to see who else they can snag, but I think it will mostly be comic book creators.

Here's the web addy: http://edmontonexpo.com/
Old 16-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
EscoffierLivesOn
Partially Addicted to C2E

Oh, man. If this convention could somehow attract Anthony Bourdain, I would go. It sounds like they are working very hard to bring in some big names. Last year, the mother of Dexter's baby was the main guest.
EscoffierLivesOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
Dialog
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscoffierLivesOn View Post
Oh, man. If this convention could somehow attract Anthony Bourdain, I would go. It sounds like they are working very hard to bring in some big names. Last year, the mother of Dexter's baby was the main guest.
Anthony Bourdain does comic expos??? I know many people who would go for him alone.
Old 16-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
EscoffierLivesOn

He appeared at Comic Con 2012. I just visited his website. It appears his "North" American tour does not begin until November 1st. PERFECT opportunity for the team behind this convention to inquire about Bourdain's services.

At the very least, I hope his tour -which does not include any Canadian stops at the moment- comes to Edmonton. Who am I kidding, though. It will likely just include Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.
Old 17-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
MylesC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialog View Post

Interesting. Yes, it would have been best if this had been started by Edmontonians but the Calgary Comic Expo is such an unabashed success, they must have a lot of clout with bookings, and thus we will stand better chances of getting top names if the event is successful over time. Also it's six months after the Calgary Expo, so it looks like they're giving themselves time to focus on each event.

Billy Dee Williams and Adam West may not be top shelf, but it's starting from scratch.
Yes and No.

I think it's great that there is work putting together a show for Edmonton. Who cares if it's folks from Calgary? They have the experience - just like people from our Folk Fest are helping out in Calgary, etc, etc.

Now, that said, there are other markets itching for a convention in Canada. *cough* video games *cough* Unfortunately I got distracted by a doctoral program
Old 17-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

Well the Edmonton show could easily have a video games component to it. I am curious if they will be able to announce any other guests for that show.
Old 17-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

I'm fairly certain that one of the people behind the Calgary Expo lives in Edmonton.
Gord Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

Wasn't the Calgary convention an unmitigated disaster this year? Rooms closed due to overcrowding, too many tickets sold, 4-6 hour wait for meet and greets for people who had previously purchased tickets, etc.

I guess they refunded money for those who were not able to get to their paid meet and greets due to long line ups or overcrowding, but I think they had to else face a big lawsuit. Friends that went said it was close to riot.
nobleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

^ Is that a disaster or an unexpected overwhelming success?
Old 17-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
^ Is that a disaster or an unexpected overwhelming success?
Overselling tickets and not planning for crowd management is a disaster.
nobleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

That’s a significant jump from the 32,000 who attended last year, the 23,000 who showed up in 2010 and the 10,000 who strolled through in 2009.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/04/29...h-overwhelming

From what I can read pre sales were fine and it was the selling of single day one day admissions that was the problem

Further to that NO ONE could could have foreseen or handled an attendance increase of apx 60 percent.

They did the right thing and refunded people who purchased weekend passes that could not attend. I call it a success.
Old 17-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Id go just to relive my inner nerd!
Old 18-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #15
MylesC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
Well the Edmonton show could easily have a video games component to it. I am curious if they will be able to announce any other guests for that show.
I'm of the personal feeling that the two are very different beasts that benefit from having separate shows.

ie. PAX vs Comic-Con. Totally different feels and totally different purposes. There's room for dedicated conventions to both.

As for the Calgary 'disaster' this year I think there was a large jump in attendance but the organizers REALLY should have seen it coming. Hulloo.....first time the TNG cast has been reunited in something like 15 years....of course there will be an attendance spike!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #16
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Guest list is looking more promising now...Charisma Carpenter, Nichelle Nichols, Billy Dee Williams, Adam West and Burt Ward
http://edmontonexpo.com/guests/media-guests/

As for comic book creators, I only recognize Chris Claremont and Mike Grell
http://edmontonexpo.com/guests/special-guests/
Old 17-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

So Adam West has dropped out.
But I see Lee Majors and Julie Newmar added.
Old 17-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

And Jewel Staite as well
Old 20-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Anyone make it down there today? I wanted to go but other plans got in the way.
Old 20-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #20
Hull534
Addicted to C2E

I took it in today , quite impressed. I confess that I do not have much pop culture nerd in me , but my family certainly does. This event is well attended and certainly has vast potential to grow. Great to catch a glimpse of the celebrities , but really great to see the effort people put into their costumes. There certainly is a pop culture phenomenon happening here. With the timing of this event in October , there would be a natural tie into the local Deadfest and Zombie culture also to make this even a bigger event .

I found the program guide well and entertainingly written , except I suspect they might have copied and pasted the bit about referring lost children to "stampede" staff.

Oddly enough , with the new Expo centre I do not think that they had adequate enough food service capacity for this event as the line ups were long.
Hull534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #21
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

We went down today. The attendance was impressive. We had great time shopping the booths and went the GWAR session.

The promotional material is definitely reused from the Calgary Expo but at this stage I don't have a problem with that. It saves a lot of design costs and helps things get ramped up without looking amateurish. I hope this year is successful enough to make things even better next year.

We'll see how things go but the room for expansion in Edmonton far exceeds what Calgary has so in the long run Edmonton could become the bigger event.
Old 21-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #22
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

I had wanted to make it down yesterday, but got tied up with some projects I have on the go, and today looks like more of the same
Old 21-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #23
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

Looks like attendance was solid for the first day. Unfortunately I can't make it back today but I hope they do it again next year.

‘Geek Pride’ rules as 6,000 fans pack first day of Edmonton Expo
Old 21-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #24
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Couldn't make it today either. Maybe next year. With the resounding success it has been, maybe they'll have more illustrious guests.

That rumored Star Wars cast reunion would have cool especially with the Star Wars Identities exhibit opening soon.

Question: would the Shaw be big enough for the Comic Expo?
Old 21-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Couldn't make it today either. Maybe next year. With the resounding success it has been, maybe they'll have more illustrious guests.

That rumored Star Wars cast reunion would have cool especially with the Star Wars Identities exhibit opening soon.

Question: would the Shaw be big enough for the Comic Expo?
I think only if it didn't get any bigger. Last year at Calgary they were using the Corral for the really big guests who drew thousands to the sessions.

I also don't think the Shaw would be a great location just because of parking issues. The Expo Centre has good parking plus decent transit access.

An interesting point on the parking costs. For two people the parking cost of $12 is the same as the transit cost there and back.
Old 21-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #26
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Parking is a non-issue given the number of parkades in the vicinity plus the lot by Louise McKinney. I don't want to turn this thread into yet another debate about parking downtown though, there's 14 other threads on that already.

I am concerned more about number of people.
Old 21-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #27
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

According to the Journal, total attendance was 12,000. Next year it is being held on Sept 28 - 29.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...320/story.html
Old 21-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #28
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

The last show at the shaw was smaller and it was packed so I don't think it would make sens to go back to the Shaw. As a vender at this show I was quite impressed with how it was run for everyone looking at it on a business side of things. Can't wait for the next show.
Old 22-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #29
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

If they're looking at doubling the floor space next year then the Shaw is completely out.
Old 28-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #30
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

Calgary Expo is ramping up now. Just announced former Edmontonian Nathan Fillion. Already announced are a slew of other guests from across the spectrum, from Star Wars to Dr. Who to X-Files. I'm hoping a few more Firefly people come down but a Nathan session will be great on its own as well. Also looking forward to a possible Princess Bride session. Animations sessions are always fun too.

I'm very pleased the organizers are doing both Edmonton and Calgary now. They've built a great show in Calgary and the success of their first run Edmonton bodes well for this fall.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #31
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

http://edmontonexpo.com/

Sept 28-29

Guests so far:
Christoper Lloyd w/ the DeLorean from Back To The Future
Robert Englund
Joe Flanigan (Stargate Atlantis)
Old 28-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #32
TerryH
Addicted to C2E

Default Edmonton Comic and Entertainment Expo Expands for 2013

"Special Guests Include:
JOHN BARROWMAN (Cpt. Jack Harkness in Doctor Who, Torchwood; Arrow)
STEPHEN AMELL (Oliver Queen in Arrow)
ROBERT ENGLUND (Freddy Kruger in Nightmare on Elm Street)
JOE FLANIGAN (Lt. Colonel John Sheppard in Stargate Atlantis)
CHRISTOPHER LLOYD (Doc Brown in Back to the Future)
CHAD COLEMAN (Tyreese in Walking Dead)"

http://www.clickonline.com/games/edm...or-2013/18789/
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #33
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Screw all of them torchwood is going to be there that's all i need!
Magnoblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #34
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Old 29-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #35
IdriveaSubaru
Addicted to C2E

I'm glad to see this growing, I love comic expos and been to many around North America. It's great to have a funky little one getting some steam in our own back yard!!

*Billy Dee Williams last year was fan-friggin-tastic!!!
IdriveaSubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #36
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Anyone going this year? My schedule is iffy, so I might pop by if there's tickets available at the door.
Old 18-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #37
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

We're going and taking the kids. I think we'll be spending a lot of time in the drawing and writing sessions plus they're going to get to meet one of their favourite comic writers and artists, Jim Gownley. For me there will be Ron Perlman!
Old 19-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #38
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

I'm probably going to have to turn in my Geek Cred card for this, but not a lot of names I recognize...I only know Christopher Lloyd, Robert Englund, Ron Perlman and Karl Urban. The lineup of comic book creators is meh, but I'm glad there's a focus on local guys. And no, it's not THAT Bob Layton! Hopefully one year they can get Todd McFarlane here, given his past ties to the Oilers. Hopefully the con keeps getting bigger and better with subsequent years.
Old 19-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #39
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

I'm not as up on the latest shows so I don't recognize a lot either but I figure it'll still be a good time.
Old 19-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #40
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Anyone going this year? My schedule is iffy, so I might pop by if there's tickets available at the door.
Probably not, it's not going to be as good as Toronto's fan expo, or even as good as last year. I might go to Pure Spec latter on.
Old 19-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #41
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ Yeah well I've been to the granddaddy of comic cons in San Diego...none can top that. Doesn't lessen my interest in supporting the Edmonton Expo.
Old 27-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #42
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Decided to get a weekend pass. Even if I can't make it, want to do my part to retain and grow this event.
Old 27-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #43
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

Does anyone remember attending Non Con here in Edmonton?
Old 28-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #44
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Wow, this was awesome!

There was a massive line for passes, which went out the building and halfway across the exhibition lands, which thankfully moved quickly. They were sold out, so good thing I got my advance tix. The cosplay was magnificant, there was plenty of swag to buy, and several celebrities to see such as these two:

https://twitter.com/doniveson/status/384023052385660928

I did take in Karl Urban's Q&A...very funny guy, and the ladies seemed charmed by him. He said Edmonton reminded him of New Zealand and vowed to come back for another visit. Huge lineups to see Robert Englund and Ron Perlman.

Going back tomorrow to buy some stuff...I hear tickets for tomorrow are scarce.

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 28-09-2013 at 07:42 PM..
Sonic Death Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #45
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

Seriously? Nobody remembers Non Con? 1978 here in Edmonton, George Takei, in his prime! I must be getting old.
Old 28-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #46
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ Good, so maybe you can quit trying to change the topic.

I forgot to mention that when I was leaving at 6 PM there was a massive lineup for those who wanted to watch the costume contest...the line went outside the building.

I checked out the participants for the geek speed dating...it was pretty much a sausage fest.

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 28-09-2013 at 10:05 PM..
Old 28-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #47
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

Actually I was on topic. I wasn't talking about restaurants in the city, or office buildings but SF conventions, in Edmonton. But since nobody on this thread remembers that far back SF wise, it's probably not a good idea for me to bring up Edmonton Science Fiction and Comic Arts Society otherwise knows as ESFCAS, Ahem, it started it all. Just trying to keep the conversation going....
Old 28-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #48
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

This topic is about the Edmonton Comic Expo...full stop.
So if nobody wants to talk about some obscure convention from 35 years ago then deal with it and move on already.
Old 28-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #49
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Did you go as Thread Nazi, SDM? as you are acting like one right now people can talk about what they want as long as they go back to the topic at hand.
Old 28-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #50
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

No soup for you! Sorry couldn't resist. I probably wont be going though, the line up is kind of lame.
Old 28-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #51
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Lame isn't the word to describe it. When i got there it was just leaving the edge of the expo building itself, it stretched out to the race track I was told. I felt sorry for those who had to stand out there and find out it was sold out.
Old 28-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #52
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
Did you go as Thread Nazi, SDM? as you are acting like one right now people can talk about what they want as long as they go back to the topic at hand.
That's rich, considering how you love telling people how to post. Does that make you the pot or the kettle?
Old 28-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #53
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
Lame isn't the word to describe it. When i got there it was just leaving the edge of the expo building itself, it stretched out to the race track I was told. I felt sorry for those who had to stand out there and find out it was sold out.
I had a feeling it would sell out, which is why I bought the weekend pass in advance. A good problem to have, which means it will get bigger and better as the one in Calgary.

I was having some technical issues with my phone, so I didn't get a chance to take as many pics as I wanted to. You'll see better pics on social media and mass media. Here's all I could get from today.

massive lineup for passes - it moved very quickly though

The DeLorean from Back to the Future...you buy a photo op with the car, and proceeds go towards the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research.

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 28-09-2013 at 11:44 PM..
Old 29-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #54
kkozoriz
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
Seriously? Nobody remembers Non Con? 1978 here in Edmonton, George Takei, in his prime! I must be getting old.
George was at a con at the Edmonton Gardens in 1978 but it wasn't Non Con. I was a member of ESFCAS at the time and attended both. Non Con was in October at the Four Seasons. As a matter of fact, a friend recent found a picture of her, George and another friend outside the Canterbury Inn where we had dinner with George. We had helped with crowd control at the Gardens and got dinner as a thank you.
kkozoriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #55
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

It wasn't as good as last year. I didn't see any sign of panels. Are they holding a costume dance like we had at Non Con? Are there door prizes? Is our "Expo" run by the same people that ran the Toronto Fan expo last month?
Old 29-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #56
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
Quote:
George was at a con at the Edmonton Gardens in 1978 but it wasn't Non Con. I was a member of ESFCAS at the time and attended both. Non Con was in October at the Four Seasons. As a matter of fact, a friend recent found a picture of her, George and another friend outside the Canterbury Inn where we had dinner with George. We had helped with crowd control at the Gardens and got dinner as a thank you.
That would have been at Non Con 1 I believe but we also had it at the Edmonton Inn (Now Ramada) on Kingsway that one was in 1979, I was there. That was my first Con. Do you remember a fellow by the name of John Vrapshanack? <spelling? He was I think one of the original founding members of ESFACAS I like this Expo and I'm glad it's getting so big. Anyone have any attendance figures so far?
Old 29-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #57
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ They're expecting 30,000 (year 2), which is double from last year (year 1).
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/comic-exp...ords-1.1475220

I reckon we will get final numbers after it's over.
Old 29-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #58
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

I think last year the Batmobile was there, Stan Lee, the cast from Star Trek, even Gil Gerard! It was almost as big as the Toronto Fan expo.
Old 29-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #59
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

Seriously evaneo? Where on Earth do you get your information from?
Old 29-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #60
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Uh ya envaneo im with gord on this one, our con is no where near as big as T.O's not to mention last year was the 1st year.
Old 29-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #61
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

I know, last year we had Adam West, Billy Dee Williams, Nichole Nichols. I thought we had the Batmobile, Gil Girard, Stan Lee. I'm thinking of another con, sorry.Envaneo holds up fists in the air and shouts to the sky above: CONNNNNN!

Last edited by envaneo; 29-09-2013 at 11:16 AM..
envaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #62
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

Adam West didn't make it last year due to his health. Stan Lee hasn't been to Edmonton, and as for it being "almost as big as the Toronto Fan expo," they had 100,000 people in Toronto this year, while Edmonton had 15,000 last year.

It's a much bigger deal to get Karl Urban and Ron Perlman than Adam West and Gil Gerard. The former are working actors, while the latter are staples on the con circuit.
Old 29-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #63
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Stan Lee, the Star Trek:TNG cast and the Batmobile were at the Calgary Expo.

I was talking to an organizer today, and she told me that next year they are planning to expand to 3 days and to book the entire Expo Centre, not just half of it.
Old 29-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #64
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Spent most of day #2 buying T shirts, action figures and graphic novels.

Again, lots of good cosplay. But this was my clear-cut favorite of the con...a Yip Yip alien from Sesame Street:

Old 29-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #65
expat
Addicted to C2E

Quote:

Awesome dude, you can take them into school tomorrow for show and tell.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #66
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Stan Lee, the Star Trek:TNG cast and the Batmobile were at the Calgary Expo.

I was talking to an organizer today, and she told me that next year they are planning to expand to 3 days and to book the entire Expo Centre, not just half of it.
I'm getting my Con's mixed up, yeesh. Your right it was Calgary. I believe TO had the $149 VIP passes.
Old 29-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #67
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:

Again, lots of good cosplay. But this was my clear-cut favorite of the con...a Yip Yip alien from Sesame Street:

SDM: is this you, and what character is this? Aren't those items available at Happy Harbor Comics anyway?
Old 29-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #68
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

It's the character he said it was in his post...
Old 30-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #70
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
It's the character he said it was in his post...
Envaneo thinks it's time to review his reading comprehension study notes again.

I've been reading too much Warhammer 40k lately.
Old 30-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #71
EscoffierLivesOn

Would have loved to have seen someone from Orphan Black, there. There's always next year!

Getting Karl Urban was huge.
Old 30-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #72
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

^ What's Orphan Black?
Old 30-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #73
EscoffierLivesOn

It's a new sci-fi show filmed, produced and set in Canada being viewed globally.
Old 30-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #74
amelanchier

I didn't make the Expo this year due to huge volume of green tomatoes needing processing and lack of other time to do it. My son said it was awesome and I hope to go again next year. Very much enjoyed it last year.

I remember a lot of Noncons - heck, I even chaired one of them. Good times
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #75
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

I saw the Canadian Forces recruiters there on Saturday and after a look around, decided that a comic expo might not be the best place to do military recruiting.
MrOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #76
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscoffierLivesOn View Post
It's a new sci-fi show filmed, produced and set in Canada being viewed globally.
Ahh, ok. I don't watch much TV, except for the evening news, CFL/some NFL, Oiler games if they're on a weekend, wrestling, and Doctor Who. I used to watch G4 when they had "Attack of the show." My wife usually hijacks the TV after the news. I'm on the computer most of the time. I don't play games.
Old 30-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #77
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
I didn't make the Expo this year due to huge volume of green tomatoes needing processing and lack of other time to do it. My son said it was awesome and I hope to go again next year. Very much enjoyed it last year.

I remember a lot of Noncons - heck, I even chaired one of them. Good times
From what I've read here sounds like a good time. The next con here in Edmonton will be Pure Speculation, November 16-17 Ramada Conference Centre Edmonton. It's not as big as Edmonton Expo.

My first noncon was fun. I'm thinking about going to this one as it's at the Ramada on Kingsway. First time a sf con has been there since 1989!
Old 30-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #78
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
I saw the Canadian Forces recruiters there on Saturday and after a look around, decided that a comic expo might not be the best place to do military recruiting.
No doubt. They're probably looking for that impressionable 17 year old saying "You want adventure?" join the army type thing. I wonder if they made any sales?
Old 30-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #79
Ustauk
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
No doubt. They're probably looking for that impressionable 17 year old saying "You want adventure?" join the army type thing. I wonder if they made any sales?
When looking for a job a while back, I noticed the Navy had techy-type jobs running computers, radars, and other technical equipment aboard ships. Someone with an armed forces background can confirm, but I suspect Navy types would have less physical fitment requirements then ground pounders, and that may be extra applicable to techy types.

Mind you, not all nerds are unqualified for the army. My fellow nerdy cousin was of average fitness level and had good eyesite (about the opposite of myself ). After working as military scientist at CFB Suffield, he got bit by the military bug, trained himself up physically, and joined the reserves, much to the surprise of his family (and chagrin of his mother ) Last time I checked, he was a captain in South Alberta Light Horse reserve in Medicine Hat. So, if a nerd puts his or her mind to it, they can join the army

Last edited by Ustauk; 30-09-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Ustauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #80
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

With all the video games they play, I suppose a lot of people there would be highly qualified to sit at a control panel and fly robotic drones by remote control. I think it would be hard to find a generation of people who could do it better, actually.
Old 30-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #81
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Aren't those items available at Happy Harbor Comics anyway?
Yeah one can buy some of the same swag from the local comic shops. But these conventions have these sellers carrying massive quantities of inventory who I presume only operate online or work the convention circuit. Some of the other booths sell rarities, collectibles and all that. Also the shopping for swag at a mass scale is part of the whole insane geeking out experience...not quite the same as browsing an empty shop with just the sales clerk and his buddy playing Magic: The Gathering at the till.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #82
jcbel
First One is Always Free

Quote:
They weren't, there was a different event happening at the other end of the Expo centre.

http://ultimategradexpo.com/?page_id=802
jcbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #83
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbel View Post
Quote:
They weren't, there was a different event happening at the other end of the Expo centre.

http://ultimategradexpo.com/?page_id=802

Ah. That makes more sense. I didn't think the Canadian Forces needed recruits to combat interstellar terrorism.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #84
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Maybe they were looking for guys with Punisher shirts
Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #85
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

Well from the perspective of a vendor that had a booth at the Expo I think the show went really well. It was really busy and a whole lot of fun.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #86
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

^What booth did you have?