Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sports, sports, and more sports! Edmonton is a sports-crazy city, and everyone has an opinion. From the Oilers to the Eskimos, from the Edmonton Capitals baseball team, the Edmonton Energy, to the Edmonton Rush and the Golden Bears and Pandas, the Rexall Edmonton Indy, not to mention all of the amateur sports this city supports – this forum is your chance to discuss, comment and review what’s going on.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Life in Edmonton > Sports, sports, and more sports!

Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Default Edmonton to host World Cup

OTTAWA - The 2015 women's World Cup of soccer will be played in six different cities across Canada.
Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Moncton, N.B., have been named the host cities for the tournament.
http://home.mytelus.com/telusen/port...CatID=National
Cal76 (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Yup. Looking forward to this. Definitely will take in a game or 2.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Good news, will definitely make it to a game or two, hopefully we get a medal round or better yet the finals
Hilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

ftr this isn't news at all and was announced quite a long time ago. Not sure what the New news is about this.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
FlyFlyAway
Partially Addicted to C2E

^Today was the official announcement. (By Sepp Blatter, from the Centre Block of Parliament, no less.) Inevitable when Halifax didn't get their new stadium funding - only six cities for a minimum six city bid. Pretty much a given when Montreal was "asked" to bid Olympic Stadium instead of Saputo Stadium, when Winnipeg was encouraged to bid, and of course when Toronto refused to participate so as not to distract from the Pan Am's a few days later.

The fun is the back room politics around which group - which of the six seeded teams - ends up in which city. And which city will get the semis and finals. Travel does not lend itself to Edmonton or Vancouver getting those games if Montreal is in the mix...and Montreal (for now) is most definitely in the mix. Montreal + Ottawa is a formidable tandem vs. Edmonton + Vancouver, especially with all of the federal government involvement in this hosting. Since Edmonton - unfortunately - brings absolutely nothing to the table @ the CSA, expect the east to win once again. Despite the $2.4 million put up by the B.C. and Vancouver governments to enhance the Vancouver hosting experience.

Announcement expected by the end of the year (according to CSA).
FlyFlyAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
ahuber
First One is Always Free

It's interesting that 5/6 venues for the WWC have artificial turf fields. Either FIFA is starting to finally come around on it, or the female players are far more willing to play on it. Probably the latter.

Speaking of turf though, Montreal has to do something about their at Olympic Stadium. It almost looks like green carpet duct taped together.

Also, does this mean there will be some medium sized stadium built as a legacy project? I recall hearing somewhere that FIFA would require a secondary training facility for teams, and I don't think anything we have built now would be considered 'world class'.
ahuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
FlyFlyAway

Artifical turf in Canada, or natural dirt in Zimbabwe. Easy choice....

There's not enough money in a WWC to justify requiring a temporary grass field. AFAIK, Qatar will use all-grass for 2022 because it's a requirement of the bid. All of the WC final-stage qualifiers are grass. And I'd think that the women prefer the grass just as much as the men...they just know they don't have the finances to have any say.

With FieldTurf based in Montreal, expect them to have their very latest FIFA 2-star product installed @ Olympic for 2015. Great global showcase for their product, perhaps the biggest to-date. When FIFA's marketing literature for synthetic turf uses North Korea as their endorsement, you know they are looking for opportunities to show the product off....

Yes, training facilities are required. Was highlighted during all of the site visits in every city, and the words "world class" were used each time. Alas, none of them require 10,000 - 20,000 seats. My understanding is that there's been nothing more than verbal commitments to have quality surfaces (1-star I presume) and excellent transportation to the 4 pitches required. If the cities (instead of the bid committee) are stuck with the bill all you'll get are field improvements (apparently grass or synthetic is acceptable?) and FIFA-regulation light standards. The feds made it really clear last year that their $15mil could not go towards stadia. If you want inside info, talk to Don Hardman - I think he's still in charge of facilities for the event.

Forget the CSA - they have both the WWC and the Pan Am's, both events needing numerous non-existent training facilities. And they have no money. Anyways, the PanAm sites need seating as hosts for the Para-PanAm, plus with the National Stadium in Toronto the CSA would look more kindly on any "legacy" training pitches to go in there. York U & Burlington were on the short list - not sure where that all landed.

Next site visits this fall - probably the next time you'll hear anything about training pitches.

Has anyone heard rumours from the City that they'd consider doing something on their dime? Can't imagine anyone wants to start that discussion w/ the arena still up-in-the-air and the emotions still pretty raw....
Old 09-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
ahuber
First One is Always Free

My thought process is that a training facility can turn into a stadium with the right partners involved. If you have to lay down FIFA approved turf and all the other required amenities, why not build some seats around the field? You have the owner of a local pro soccer team wanting a mid sized stadium, and the city realizing that there is a definite need for something of that size. It could also be of use to the colleges in town that field soccer teams (Grant Mac, NAIT, etc) as well as Edmonton and Alberta soccer associations.

I guess my biggest fear is that Edmonton plays host to an event of this size and it just goes in and out of Commonwealth with leaving no footprint behind when it can help springboard the sport in this province.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
FlyFlyAway

So...turn Jasper Place or Millwoods into...what? If the City is only going to fund the minimum necessary infrastructure (improved change room/meeting rooms, pitch surface, lighting) who is going to fund the seats? The concession areas?

I'd really really love a plan for Clarke Park some day. Maybe today is that day? With the Rec Centre and the Fieldhouse, sharing space with the Eskimos and other users seems to make sense to me. But I don't expect anyone to spend money to make it happen, and I expect no end of opposition to reducing amateur hours at Clarke. Too bad - we need a small stadium to make pro soccer work in this city.

Are you thinking of improving an existing facility? Or something else?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
ahuber
First One is Always Free

In a perfect world, I would love to see something like this in Edmonton. My initial response was that it has to be something new, but I also don't think Clarke is too far off after actually going there. I think some reno's are necessary there to make it happen, but it definitely can be a great secondary facility to train. It has a couple things going for it that you won't get building new, as in proximity to Commonwealth and LRT
Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
FlyFlyAway

Generally agree (especially about the location), although I think Edmonton has shown @ Telus Field that they will support a larger pro soccer facility than 8,300 seats. All that means is that your ideal needs to be expandable in the future, which I'm guessing you'd agree with on the road to MLS.

But unless the U of A joins NCAA Div. 2, finds hundreds of very deep pocket'd donors, and chooses to build a multi-purpose stadium for football (and, oh yeah, pro soccer in the summer), this model isn't going to happen in Edmonton. So what's the next choice?

Questions I don't have good answers to:

1. Is there enough existing infrastructure @ Clarke, combined with whatever has to go in there for WWC 2015, to be a foundation for a pro-soccer-purpose-built stadium? Or would you be further ahead with a patch of dirt - or for that matter the Stadium Park & Ride lot across the street?
2. Is there anyone with any money (and more importantly, some land!) to build another general purpose football/soccer pitch for amateur use in this city? Could this be funded by WWC2015/CoE, since training pitches are in-scope for funding? If so, would this silence the concerns by minor football, high schools, and other users who want unfettered access to Clarke Park and feel they have nowhere else to go?
3. Is there any will within the City Parks & Rec group to throw the keys to Clarke Park to a private group (FC Edmonton, "Edmonton Soccer Inc." or some non-profit society) and say, "Do what you want with it?" And if there is that will, who is out there willing to catch those keys? Or does a Clarke soccer stadium have to exist under the ownership/guidance/mgmt of the City? I am concerned that a public/private partnership for a pro soccer stadium is unlikely to get started until well after success is assured. Unfortunately, that day is a LONG ways off.

But to answer your original question...no federal stadium funds for WWC2015, absolutely no mandate to build stadium, and so far no money from no sources to leverage the training pitch requirement into something more. That leaves the City...who has a little arena project to worry about first. But if Fath is/was/will be involved in the site inspection process, maybe they come up with a good idea that no one has considered yet?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
ahuber
First One is Always Free

I said I would like to see that kind of a stadium, but I'll add that I don't think it's coming any time soon. Realistically, I do see Clarke remodeled a bit to make it better suited for soccer (while still being capable of hosting amateur football/soccer). It's already getting temporary seating added, and we'll see if that helps Clarke lend itself well to pro soccer. And who knows, maybe Clarke itself ends up resembling the stadium I posted above. Pretty much anything could happen with these developments. I think FIFA officials are coming back some time this year and some of these issues will be hammered out. And I know Fath wants to work with the city on this one.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Best thing to happen for the 2015 tournament is the drama we've seen at the Olympics. I want to buy tickets.

I wonder if the Norwegian ref is going to be here? I hope the Americans play a game in Edmonton. I promise to be a gracious Canadian fan of the game.
North Guy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^indeed. I cannot wait for that match.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #15
EscoffierLivesOn

I would bet any amount Vancouver gets the finals, while Montreal receives both semis. Edmonton has proven itself to be a big supporter for Canadian Soccer, so hopefully that comes into account when awarding group games for each city. A dream scenario for Edmonton would include all Canadian round robin games, with either the Americans or Japanese a part of their group.
EscoffierLivesOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #16
EscoffierLivesOn

If we are not awarded any Canadian games, hopefully team U.S.A. and its group plays at Commonwealth. Might as well see the next best thing.
Old 16-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #17
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscoffierLivesOn View Post
I would bet any amount Vancouver gets the finals, while Montreal receives both semis. Edmonton has proven itself to be a big supporter for Canadian Soccer, so hopefully that comes into account when awarding group games for each city. A dream scenario for Edmonton would include all Canadian round robin games, with either the Americans or Japanese a part of their group.
I would expect we should do fairly well in the awarding of games. This city after all was the site of unprecedented support of the U19 Womens World Cup several years ago when it broke records at the time for Womens soccer attendance and with draws up to 50K. I don't know how CSA could forget that (but I don't doubt they try) CSA has often been unkind to Edmonton in recent years but how do you ignore the success we had here?

Do the right thing, give Edmonton some critical, and many matches.
Old 17-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #18
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I think that it would be great to see Commonwealth Stadium have some upgrades. For example, have message boards along the sides, and possibly a new message board displaying the score.
Old 17-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #19
EscoffierLivesOn

The_Cat:

I have personally asked Len Rhodes, the President of the Eskimos, if a new scoreboard is a possibility, and all he said was, "We are currently looking a lot of options for Commonwealth."

Commonwealth is in desperate need of a good power washing.

I would also like to see north end of the field receive some TLC. With the south end having the rec centre, field house, luxury boxes, etc. the north end looks bare in comparison. At least a new scoreboard would help. I read a rumor that there are plans to construct a restaurant where the scoreboard currently sits, but I doubt that. It would be a great addition, though.

That entire section needs to be renovated.

Edit: Commonwealth's sound system is a piece of junk. I would want that to be replaced before a new scoreboard. By the way, the price of the current scoreboard was around $13m back in 1999; a new, state-of-the-art scoreboard would cost $9-11m.

Last edited by EscoffierLivesOn; 17-08-2012 at 01:08 AM..
Old 22-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
ahuber
First One is Always Free

First and foremost, getting a Canada game would be awesome for Edmonton. If not, the Americans would be great to have here. Some of us FC Edmonton fans have taken to counting when the opposing keeper holds the ball in response to the call in the Canada/US game.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #21
EscoffierLivesOn

Quote:
The $12 million would be used to build dressing rooms, player medical rooms, referee areas and doping control rooms, while the $8.7 million would be spent on fixing the parking lot, the Jumbotron and the sound system.
Please give this the green light!

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/story...59881&sponsor=
Old 09-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #22
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

A new scoreboard is definitely needed at Commonwealth. I wonder if Wi-Fi should be added to the concourse level.

Also, if there is funding from other levels of government, I think upgrading the north concourse is a great idea.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Mayor says $21M for World Cup may be offside

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...554/story.html

Quote:
EDMONTON - City councillors will decide this fall whether to spend $21 million to upgrade Commonwealth Stadium for the Women’s World Cup, but Mayor Stephen Mandel wants to kick the idea out of bounds.

Staff have suggested spending $12 million to build dressing rooms, player medical rooms, referee areas and doping control rooms, plus an additional $8.7 million to fix the parking lot, the Jumbotron and the sound system.

“The price tag is staggering. We have a brand new recreation centre that’s first-class,” Mandel said, adding he wasn’t impressed with arguments that many of the change rooms are too far from the field.

“My guess is if you went to most facilities in Europe, you would walk further. My God, we can’t come up with a creative way of doing it? We have 25 rooms there.”
Quote:
Mandel said organizing groups can impose “onerous” requirements.

“They don’t pay for it. There’s a point you reach when it gets frustrating,” said Mandel, adding there should already be enough dressing rooms in and around the stadium. He also dismissed the idea of spending millions of dollars to rent trailers.

“Not a single person watching is going to look at the trailers or look at the dressing rooms. The issue is, there has to be a balance.”

He also doesn’t see why the city should fund a Jumbotron.

“(It’s) used by the Eskimos, so they should pay for it and put it on tickets.”
Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #24
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I can see the rationale for the scoreboard, which could also be partly paid for by a sponsor.

However, I can't see the justification in fixing up the dressing rooms, especially when the Eskimos dressing room was fixed up at the time of the new sports facilities adjacent to Commonwealth.

However, I agree that something should be done about the north side of the stadium. These seats are hardly ever used.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #25
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Seriously Mandel.

Quote:
He also doesn’t see why the city should fund a Jumbotron.

“(It’s) used by the Eskimos, so they should pay for it and put it on tickets.”
This is a much different take from our mayor than his interest in backing Edmonton indy financially for years and the massive outlay fronted for the new downtown arena.

Commonwealth stadium is imo one of the more impressive facilities we have and possibly the best stadium in the nation. But the Scoreboard clock and sound system scream outdated. These are revisions that should be made as they make an otherwise impressive stadium look outdated. To expect the Eskimos to exclusively pay for this is specious reasoning in respect to his lines in the sand with other sporting interests. Its gotta be frustrating for the Eskimos admin to hear something like this from the mayor. It certainly is for Eskimos fans. Remind me which isn't threatening to leave town while the whole NHL is locked out..

Is Mandel really doubting that the biggest sport on the planet is going to result in much more worldwide exposure than the now defunct Edmonton indy. Maybe tell Lorna Rosen to get on those numbers.

This Womens WorldCup is the biggest event we've hosted for along time and the Womens game has grown in leaps and bound and in its exposure since the last time we hosted the underage Womens tournament games here. Which was huge here and showcased us wonderfully and that even served to be a springboard for the Womens game.

Is Mandel understating this tournament? Women? Soccer? Get the new Jumbotron up no questions asked. The tournament and our putting ourselves in best possible light needs it. It isn't just about downtown Mandel. This is huge exposure for our city. don't blow it by having one of the main focal spots, the scoreboard, looking like stale potato chips. Agree with Escoffier as well. That northend needs a makeover.

Last edited by Replacement; 10-10-2012 at 11:55 AM..
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #26
christopherj

^ I agree with you on this one Replacement.

While I support a new downtown arena under the current funding agreement. I don't understand why the Esks should pay for a new jumbotron while we'll just give the Katz Group a new arena?
christopherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #27
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Schedule is out, looks like we get a semi final (Montreal the other) and the 3/4 game (bronze) with Vancouver getting the finals. In all we get 11 games during the tournament (more than any other city).

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tour...r_15032013.pdf

Last edited by Hilman; 21-03-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Hilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #28
mnugent
Addicted to C2E

oooo. And we get the opener which is one of the most watched and always hosts the home team. I think we got the best group of games.
Old 21-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #29
christopherj

They also host the opening ceremony, and will have the first two team Canada games.
christopherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #30
mnugent
Addicted to C2E

This is a kinda a big deal. Very good for the city. Cant wait to see Commonwealth sold out for the opening of one of the most high profile sporting events, with cranes and new towers spotting the background.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...618/story.html

Last edited by mnugent; 21-03-2013 at 01:10 PM..
mnugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #31
The13thFloor

This is awesome! With the reduced seating to 56,300 even if it isn't a sellout, it'll still look pretty full. Five games are on saturday, the rest are during the weekday. I can see lots of people coming up from Calgary and Saskatchewan.

2014: Triathalon final
2015: Womens World Cup of soccer
2017: possible NHL allstar game/draft/ memorial cup/ etc

Last edited by The13thFloor; 23-03-2013 at 04:40 PM..
The13thFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #32
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

^ The Womens U20 WC is also here in 2014. People shouldn't forget about that one either. Its the same tournament where Karla Lang and Christy Sinclair became household names and the Edmonton support of that team and tournament was legendary and largely unprecedented for such a U20 tournament. Lets start the enthusiasm flowing again with that tourney. Not to mention supporting the local Edmonton FC side so that they can negotiate a better soccer facility.