Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Business & Economy Here’s where you can read about business and the economy in the Edmonton region - announcements and results, emerging technologies, relocations, mergers, acquisitions, as well as Edmonton’s national and international profile. Comment, inform, discuss all of these topics.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Growing Edmonton > Business & Economy

Old 01-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Default The Bay may bring Bloomingdale's to Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...es-canada.html

Quote:
Iconic Canadian retailer Hudson's Bay Company is in talks with New York-based Bloomingdale's to bring the luxury chain to Canada, a report suggested Tuesday.

According to the Globe and Mail, HBC is looking to set up Bloomingdale's stores within HBC's national chain of stores.
The paper cited unnamed industry sources for the story. When asked for an interview by CBC News, a spokesperson with HBC declined to comment on the report.

But experts suggest the move is a pre-emptive strike against an invasion by well-heeled American luxury retailers looking to set up shop in Canada.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Interesting times we live in.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

I read the article, While it sounds appealing in one manner (Bloomingdales hitting the Canadian market in a limited fashion) It sounds bizarre in another manner in regards that HBC is owned by the same company that owns Lord & Taylor and is competition to Bloomingdales in the US.

When they aquired HBC several years ago the rumour mill was flooded with articles in regards to L&T entering the Canadian market with either blended Bay/Lord & Taylor stores or separate stores to enter into major Canadian cities.

While HBC presently carries certain brands from both companies that own Macy's and Lord&Taylor stores for the Canadian market, Housing a "Bloomingdales" boutique within a handfull of larger Bay stores just strikes me as rather pointless since we have heard the talk before (Lord&Taylor) with no actual action.

I know space is limited in Canada for whole chains to start opening "full line" branches in our market but having HBC selling Bloomingdale's merchandise in a limited fashion just does not sound (to me the retail junkie ) overly workable.

I could be wrong, time will tell.
NielCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
SpongeG
Partially Addicted to C2E

i wonder what they would sell? I went to bloomingdales in san fran and didn't seem any fancier than the bay, now neiman marcus - that was a fancy store - you felt like you had to pay just to sneeze in the store
SpongeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Good question to me, I was in the original Bloomingdale's in Manhattan in 2001 and dropped in for the first time, I really felt like it was The Bay on Queen Street in Toronto, Nice clothes and cosmetics, I did not scope out the furniture department (which is supposed to be out of this world) in regards to department stores, But as I said it felt no glitzier at that time than the freshly remodelled HBC in T.O.
NielCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

I don't care what they call it, can someone please just make good use of the huge department store spaces we have? Bay and Sears completely blow it. Most wasted square footage ever.