Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Arts, Culture & Entertainment Edmonton has a vibrant and broad-based cultural scene, easily one of the most exciting in Canada, if not North America. Check this site for show announcements about theatre, cinema, shows, festivals, concerts, people, the arts in general, and other forms of entertainment. Post your thoughts, comments, announcements here.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Life in Edmonton > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old 01-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Default 2012 Music

For all 2012 music related discussion in and around Edmonton, not just music festivals

To kick it off, I was at Starlite last night enjoying Neon Indian. Absolutely incredible. Since his last show he's added a (very good) drummer with full kit, and at least one more on-stage extra, for a total of 5 musicians. Also, Pitchfork rated him as one of the 10 best performances at Coachella this year... not bad for a "small" guy.

Was really impressed with his recollection of his previous Edm show in May 2011. As usual, our great music fanbase was well appreciated - we really seem to wow the artists with our lively and enthusiastic crowds.

Check him out, he's been one of my new faves for about a year. http://neonindian.com/
Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
ajs
Addicted to C2E

Interesting comment about audiences Chmilz. I gotta say, since I've been going to see bands in this town (almost exclusively club shows, can't speak for arena concerts) my opinion is the opposite. And artists I've spoken with have a similar opinion. This is a bit of a sit-on-your-hands kind of town. I've grown used to it, but when I visit other places I remember what a hoppin' audience is like. The exception is the Commercial where the dance floor is almost always jumping.
Back on topic -- Looking forward to seeing Zeus at the end of the month. Last time they were through Jason Collett really held them back. They will own the place this time.
ajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
brett-
Partially Addicted to C2E

greetings from BKK!!
Super jealous you got to see Neon Indian... great music for sure!! Deadbeat Summer and Polish Girl are definitely my favorites.
Another great album release this 2012 was 'Brighter' by Danish group WhoMadeWho and Happy To You by the Swedish-American band Miike Snow. Hopefully they can make it to YEG soon
Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

ajs, I have no doubts that some bands simply pander to the crowd, but I go to a ton of shows and find we're usually very enthusiastic. We're not a prime stop for artists for no reason - they generally like our energy (and ability to sell out venues).
Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
ajs
Addicted to C2E

BTW, thanks for starting this thread Chimlz. Does anyone have an extra ticket to Mt. Erie at Wunderbar? Sold out pretty quick. Send me a PM if you want to unload a ticket.
Old 22-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

I heard that Edmonton Event Centre may be closing this fall. Anyone able to confirm? I won't shed a tear as it's easily one of the worst concert venues in the city, however it also had a TON of shows and I'm concerned that losing the venue may result in lost shows. But hopefully it'll just result in more bookings for better venues, or perhaps even a new 500-1,000 person venue somewhere.
Marcel Petrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
lat
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
I heard that Edmonton Event Centre may be closing this fall. Anyone able to confirm? I won't shed a tear as it's easily the worst concert venue in the city, however it also had a TON of shows and I'm concerned that losing the venue may result in lost shows. But hopefully it'll just result in more bookings for better venues, or perhaps even a new 500-1,000 person venue somewhere.
Fixed that for you...

Apparently its a 2,000 person venue... I hope you're right. Will be very glad to see it gone.

Last edited by lat; 23-05-2012 at 08:30 AM..
lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
ajs
Addicted to C2E

Any suitable spaces come to mind for a venue of that size? Somewhere in the light industrial area north of Grant Mac perhaps?
Old 23-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Maybe the new community rink that's part of the downtown arena project?
Old 01-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
ajs
Addicted to C2E

Zeus were f*$king awesome.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

Please please please someone put a 2000 person venue at the old Rossdale Power Plant.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
ajs
Addicted to C2E

OOOOOO! Sexy idea Ander. Patrons taking river taxi's from the southside, funicular moving people from Jasper ave.

anyone been to see a show under Transcend on Jasper yet? Reviews? Bry Webb is playing there in June.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs View Post
OOOOOO! Sexy idea Ander. Patrons taking river taxi's from the southside, funicular moving people from Jasper ave.

anyone been to see a show under Transcend on Jasper yet? Reviews? Bry Webb is playing there in June.
I was thinking more along the lines of parking in the neighborhood in the beginning, then as more residential goes in it gradually eliminates the parking and pushes people to different modes of transportation. Doing it gradually and having it evolve with the neighborhood is key. That said, taking a water taxi to a show would be pretty fantastic.

Make it a big room that serves food (and minors) during non-event hours, much like EEC currently does. Make it a destination at all times. Throw some bike racks outside and open up a few additional retail spaces in the immediate area.

Imagine watching the fireworks on Canada Day from the roof of the old power plant.

To your second point, I was at a show there when it was Axis Cafe and it was small, intimate, and pretty chill. Haven't been there since it's been Transcend though.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
ajs
Addicted to C2E

Any facility that large in that space would, like you say, need to be flex. Smaller shows, multiple shows at one time, all ages vs. boozey. And, of course, big shows.

Perhaps some kind of facility there like the Calgary NMC. http://nmc.ca/
Aren't they in the midst of building a new facility in DT Calgary?
Maybe the UofA could host the Folkways collection there. How about a Prairie Music Museum or some such? Artists in residence, a Banff Center style retreat in the city.

Someone might write the North Sask. River suite, or a River Valley punk rock opera.
Old 25-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #15
ajs
Addicted to C2E

Went to see Tedeschi and Trucks Friday night. Not normally my kind of thing but it might have been a highlight of the year so far. 11 peice band, horn section, the whole kit and kaboodle.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
ajs
Addicted to C2E

Looking forward to taking in some of the Yardbird Jazz Festival. If you haven't been this would be a great time to check it out. The Yardbird is one of the hippest joints in town. http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...359/story.html
Old 02-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
bibliophreak
First One is Always Free

A quick plug for the Cosmopolitan Music Society's "Lest We Forget" concert at the Winspear on Sunday night, 7:30, tickets $20 for all seats. Two concert bands playing en masse, a pipe and drum band, the Cosmo Big Band, a choir and the Vimy Ridge Pipe Band, celebrating Remembrance Day. Join Lieutenant Governor the Honourable David S Ethel and a flag parade honouring our military.
bibliophreak is offline   Reply With Quote