Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Real-Estate & Development This forum looks at specific real estate projects and developments - past, present, and future - in the Edmonton area. Here’s where to look for updates on developments, read about new projects, suggest improvements to buildings or other projects.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Growing Edmonton > Real-Estate & Development

Old 16-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #1101
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonejdee View Post
Can the new floor that they're building be a 2nd floor for Apple? I looked at the map and from what i have seen that construction is right on top or really close to Apple? What do you guys think? But hey I can only wish! LOL
Might be Apple related The Calendar store beside Apple is closed so this might be the start of the pre christmas announcement expansion of Apple. Stay tuned kids
Old 16-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #1102
FutureMayor
First One is Always Free

One of my contacts at WEM administration says that the steel structure is in fact going to be a flashy exterior entrance for one of the malls "major tenants."

Based on the location, I think we can assume that it will be for Apple's expansion...
Guess we will have to wait. If they start putting up any material other than GLASS, then it may not be Apple. They love their glass.
FutureMayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #1103
ScottieA
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMayor View Post
One of my contacts at WEM administration says that the steel structure is in fact going to be a flashy exterior entrance for one of the malls "major tenants."

Based on the location, I think we can assume that it will be for Apple's expansion...
Guess we will have to wait. If they start putting up any material other than GLASS, then it may not be Apple. They love their glass.
I'm pretty sure that it is for Simons.
Old 16-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #1104
FutureMayor
First One is Always Free

Oops, I may be confused...

The massive steel structure on the Northwest is definitely for Simons. That's obvious.
The smaller steel structure (which I was referring to) on the south side by Sportchek is for the "flashy new exterior entrance."
Old 16-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #1105
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that it is for Simons.
Doesn't make sense. Simons is a long way from that entrance.
Old 16-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #1106
FutureMayor
First One is Always Free

Remember that there are two seperate steel structures currently being built on the exterior of the mall....

1. On the northwest corner next to Scotiabank Theatre
-Obviously the expansion for Simons
2. On the west side near the Sportchek/Marks entrance
-The one that is going to be the "flashy new exterior entrance"
Old 16-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #1107
FutureMayor
First One is Always Free

We should also keep in mind that in the next while, Forever 21 will be doubling the size of its store. Not sure where.
Old 16-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #1108
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
there is a crap load more steel up there now from last time somewhat reinforcing my cafe comment i made from before i will get my dlsr out tomorrow and take some shots for you guys but a new applestore entrance would be epic as well but we will have too see and i will have to find my contact inside the mall for the actual details
While you're talking to your contact,ask him/her what the plans are for the circular planters that are now covered over with 3/4 inch plywood ,as well what the hell is taking so long to finish the Sport Chek + Second Cup escalators ?
If i remember right he had told me they would be like reflection ponds or somthing they saw on in a mall at in the states or somthing if it looks anything like the one in joey's in mayfield common it will be amazing
Magnoblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #1109
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
We should also keep in mind that in the next while, Forever 21 will be doubling the size of its store. Not sure where.
i havent noticed any hording signage up for a new location for them unless there kicking out winners maybe witch would be nice tbh winners looks trashy

if anyone has noticed as well they closed up the securty office and are now redoing the bathrooms most likely will look like the ones up by stairs by starbucks

also i dont understand why they moved bsweet only to close them and reno them again only after being there for about a year
Old 16-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #1110
FutureMayor
First One is Always Free

I have no idea where in the mall Forever 21 would be expanding, unless they just take over space around where they currently are. I would love it if Winners was gone and Forever 21 expanded into a multiple floor location. It would look more flashy against the Ice Palace than the dirty and dull Winners currently does.
Old 16-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #1111
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
I have no idea where in the mall Forever 21 would be expanding, unless they just take over space around where they currently are. I would love it if Winners was gone and Forever 21 expanded into a multiple floor location. It would look more flashy against the Ice Palace than the dirty and dull Winners currently does.
we can only hope because i was only in there once and it looked like a low grade version of walmart and it doesnt fit with the stores that are next to it except payless but that could stand to go as well imo
Old 16-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #1112
brett-
Partially Addicted to C2E

The new Forever 21 locations are actually quite nice... if not a little chaotic and cheap quality stuff.
Old 18-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #1113
Mla
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
i havent noticed any hording signage up for a new location for them unless there kicking out winners maybe witch would be nice tbh winners looks trashy

if anyone has noticed as well they closed up the securty office and are now redoing the bathrooms most likely will look like the ones up by stairs by starbucks

also i dont understand why they moved bsweet only to close them and reno them again only after being there for about a year
That wasn't the actual security office it was just the dispatcher space where all the CCTV monitors were. The actual security office is below the Ice Palace. The new dispatch office has been moved.
Mla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #1114
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

The aquariums that surround Timmies are being drained and hoarding is being installed so it looks like they are being removed. So a possible much needed reno and expansion is in the works.
Old 19-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #1115
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

I wonder if the aquariums will be moved, or at least the fish moved to new aquariums.
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #1116
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I wonder if the aquariums will be moved, or at least the fish moved to new aquariums.
It would be nice if they re-locate the fish, but like the promised relocation of the whale that was removed from in front of Victoria's Secret and has yet to be re-located I have my doubts.
Old 19-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #1117
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

Ya, it would be cool if they built a unique looking aquarium somewhere, like for example, make the aquarium a part of the wall from floor to ceiling, or a fake pillar somewhere again floor to ceiling.
Old 19-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #1118
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Ya, it would be cool if they built a unique looking aquarium somewhere, like for example, make the aquarium a part of the wall from floor to ceiling, or a fake pillar somewhere again floor to ceiling.
Now that would be cool. I also noticed that are taking down the 'lighthouse' structure beside the tube ride ride close to the Santa Maria.
Old 19-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #1119
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
It would be nice if they re-locate the fish, but like the promised relocation of the whale that was removed from in front of Victoria's Secret and has yet to be re-located I have my doubts.
While the aquariums were good back in the heyday of when they had everything from birds to bearcubs in the malls past. Their the elimination of them is actually proper. Since they probably cost a lot to maintain and they are a horrid bottleneck along with the overly crowded elevator queues now that Tim's has plugged up the rink side to them.

Hopefully Timmies will not be offering some sort of TimFISH sandwiches in the near future......That would make me suspicious and ill.
NielCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #1120
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
While the aquariums were good back in the heyday of when they had everything from birds to bearcubs in the malls past. Their the elimination of them is actually proper. Since they probably cost a lot to maintain and they are a horrid bottleneck along with the overly crowded elevator queues now that Tim's has plugged up the rink side to them.

Hopefully Timmies will not be offering some sort of TimFISH sandwiches in the near future......That would make me suspicious and ill.

that Timmies is in desperate need of a major Reno. There isn't enough duct tape in Edmonton to hold some of the wall coverings on.

Last edited by Barry N; 19-03-2012 at 05:47 PM..
Barry N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #1121
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

Does it look like they are removing the aquariums?
Old 19-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #1122
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
As I mentioned in post 1115 they have drained 2 of them and as well removed the artificial coral. They are erecting hoarding and removing the brass railings. They haven't actually started the removal,but it points in that direction. I spoke to one of the managers of Timmies and there are plans for a renos and a much needed expansion. As Darrell mentioned,that area is a bottleneck to pedestrian traffic flow. I am at WEM on a daily basis,so I will monitor this area.
Old 19-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #1123
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
As I mentioned in post 1115 they have drained 2 of them and as well removed the artificial coral. They are erecting hoarding and removing the brass railings. They haven't actually started the removal,but it points in that direction. I spoke to one of the managers of Timmies and there are plans for a renos and a much needed expansion. As Darrell mentioned,that area is a bottleneck to pedestrian traffic flow. I am at WEM on a daily basis,so I will monitor this area.
Since I work in the mall (though have had a couple of days off) I always walk past it on my way to work so I will also keep everyone up to date along with Barry.

As in previous posts between the two of us few things get missed. Unless they are actual "reno completions" those are Triple5's issues since we have both posted things about some reno issues still incomplete 10 months later...ie floor tiles..

Also as Barry said that Timmies needs expansions because the queue is always about 20 people long (just like the one in CityCentre) So they need to address that and funneling of so many people between the elevator and Aeropostale on the 2nd floor.

How they are going to do the same on the lower level will be interesting since it is just as tight between abercrombie kids and the Ice Palaces skate change area.
Old 19-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #1124
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

im so confused on entrance 44 building now there seems to be no doors you would see to go into a store so idk wth there thinking now but this is the mall were talking about here and i there might be some truth to the rumor of the bk moving into the old mcd's location from the managers i know at the small mcd's that is still open so it would be nice to have a bk in the mall but we will just have to wait and see
Old 20-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #1125
cdn
First One is Always Free

Post Tim Hortons Expansion

Quote:
Quote:
This is part of the Tim Hortons Expansion.
Tim Hortons will be expanding thier current location. Triple the capacity. Kitchen is being moved offsite. Tim Hortons Reno has been put on hold for a while, beacuse Tim Hortons has been waiting for the final plans regarding the transformation of the Ice Palace. Finally as sign of changes...
cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #1126
cdn
First One is Always Free

Post Phase 2 Fountains

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanGalhanth View Post
Went to the mall for the first time in a long time on Friday. I got to see a fountain show and was very impressed. Much more attractive than the 80's brass nozzles that they used to have...
Having said that did you notice the new nozzles they are currently installing in the phase 2 fountains?
Anyone else think the f&cked up the Phase 2 fountains?
I think they are too high (poured way too much concrete) and dont have a top basin (still flat). When they turn those babies on they are going to be loud (cause they are using the existing pump system) and they are going to have huge splash back (water loss) cause there is not enough room around the fountain nozzles.
Heck, they still dont have a full wall around them. I bet we wont be seeing them on till early summer thats if they suddenly change thier mind.
What is the mall thinking??
Old 20-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #1127
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Went to the mall for the first time in a long time on Friday. I got to see a fountain show and was very impressed. Much more attractive than the 80's brass nozzles that they used to have...
Having said that did you notice the new nozzles they are currently installing in the phase 2 fountains?
I think they are too high (poured way too much concrete) and dont have a top basin (still flat). When they turn those babies on they are going to be loud (cause they are using the existing pump system) and they are going to have huge splash back (water loss) cause there is not enough room around the fountain nozzles.
Heck, they still dont have a full wall around them. I bet we wont be seeing them on till early summer thats if they suddenly change thier mind.
I'm old enough that when they opened phase 2 the original fountains were also high, and as you said had way too much splash and they were always mopping the floor from back splash..

There were tuned to music and annoying as all h*** to anyone who worked in a store nearby (yes me back in the 1980's)

Perhaps they will have a finer effect this time around, time will tell.
Old 20-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #1128
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
no they didnt frack up the fountains if you had actualy read all the posts here you would have seen me talking about them there trying to do a reflecting pond or somthing like that and everything there is brand new they ripped all the pumps and pipes out before all the work that you see now was done
Old 20-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #1129
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope. The final product will be a 'negative edge' pool. The noise level should be hopefully minimal. The existing pump system has been removed. I will say that the new plumbing system is a little bit over the top for a negative edge pool,but I will leave that to the experts. Your timing for a completed job is sadly probably correct,based on past projects during this reno.
Old 20-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #1130
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Since I work in the mall (though have had a couple of days off) I always walk past it on my way to work so I will also keep everyone up to date along with Barry.

As in previous posts between the two of us few things get missed. Unless they are actual "reno completions" those are Triple5's issues since we have both posted things about some reno issues still incomplete 10 months later...ie floor tiles..

Also as Barry said that Timmies needs expansions because the queue is always about 20 people long (just like the one in CityCentre) So they need to address that and funneling of so many people between the elevator and Aeropostale on the 2nd floor.

How they are going to do the same on the lower level will be interesting since it is just as tight between abercrombie kids and the Ice Palaces skate change area.
@Darrell.... The only solution I can see to help ease the congestion in the area of Aeropostale as well as on the ground level is to re-locate the kiosks in those areas to another location. The current hat embroiderer should be inside the Lids store.. the World Vision people could be moved any where else,as well as the bank that is hocking credit cards.

Last edited by Barry N; 20-03-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Old 21-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #1131
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

-

Last edited by Vincent; 21-03-2012 at 09:42 AM..
Old 21-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #1132
Admin
Forum Administrator

The Submarine conversation has moved.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=23273

-Admin
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #1133
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

so are they taking out the elevator out as well? and timmies is closing on Monday what am i going do do for my fix now and does anyone know how long its going to be closed for?
Old 21-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #1134
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
so are they taking out the elevator out as well? and timmies is closing on Monday what am i going do do for my fix now and does anyone know how long its going to be closed for?
Yes I noticed the elevator is blocked off. I wasn't aware of Timmies closing on Monday. But it is best that they just shut down and do it all at once instead of trying to serve customers,while all around them chaos is taking place.
Old 21-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #1135
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Maybe they are shutting down timmies for serving the worst coffee in the world?

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #1136
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

and so it begins ...
Old 21-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #1137
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
This thread is for W E M reno's not reviews of who has the best/worst coffee.
Old 22-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #1138
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

offtopic coffee is coffee imo
on topic does anyone know if there actualy going to fully rip out the elevator because that is the oldest not to mention the slowest i also beleave the first elevator that was in the mall when phase 2 was build back in 83
Old 22-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #1139
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
offtopic coffee is coffee imo
on topic does anyone know if there actualy going to fully rip out the elevator because that is the oldest not to mention the slowest i also beleave the first elevator that was in the mall when phase 2 was build back in 83
I certainly hope they do. In this day and age it is the smallest and most useless elevator always jammed with people with strollers, carts, electric wheelchairs etc. Causing large line-ups plugging that extremely narrow bend in the mall.

They need to move it totally to say the other end of the rink somewhere next to Winners, Starbucks or Anthropologie where they have the room to put in 2 elevators to relieve the congestion. But that would only solve the congestion on the upper floor as the lower level at that spot is congested with booths and traffic coming in from the Transit Centre.

The lines are so bad and long you always see people hauling strollers or Zellers carts up and down the escalators next to it. (Which Zellers refuses to jump on people taking them out of the store to use as a childrens napping buggy or a walker) I always half expect to see some Senior citizen in their electric cart to try it and jam the entire thing up because they refuse to wait 10 minutes for the lift.
Old 22-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #1140
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
This thread is for W E M reno's not reviews of who has the best/worst coffee.
C'mon Barry i'm sure Ian was just being sarcastic. (He's correct but just being sarcastic!)
Old 23-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #1141
cdn
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I noticed the elevator is blocked off. I wasn't aware of Timmies closing on Monday. But it is best that they just shut down and do it all at once instead of trying to serve customers,while all around them chaos is taking place.
Wonder if they will have a temp kiosk. Last time Tim Hortons renovated/reloacted, they had a kiosk setup. When I am there tomorrow, I will ask the manager. Funny, she never mentioned anything to me and I am there several times a day.
If they do close, guess I will be drinking the Free Slop from the Lunch Room.
**Sucks its roll up the rim time, just went through the same crap with McDonalds when it was free coffee month**
Old 23-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #1142
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wonder if they will have a temp kiosk. Last time Tim Hortons renovated/reloacted, they had a kiosk setup. When I am there tomorrow, I will ask the manager. Funny, she never mentioned anything to me and I am there several times a day.
**Sucks its roll up the rim time, just went through the same crap with McDonalds when it was free coffee month**
doubt if they would setup somthing would be nice but where would it be?
Old 23-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #1143
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
doubt if they would setup somthing would be nice but where would it be?
I haven't noticed any indication of a temporary location being built. I'm sure the other coffee stores in the mall are salivating at the prospect of gaining more business while Timmies is closed. I spoke to one the managers and she told me that plans for reno's where drawn up 18 months ago.
Old 23-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #1144
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

So I don't doubt that with it closed completely, they will try to do the renos as quick as possible and reopen.
Old 23-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #1145
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

Guys, if you're responding to the latest post, what's the point in quoting it? Just wondering.
Old 23-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #1146
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Looks like the Timmies elevator is remaining. The signage today states that it is under renovations. Meanwhile in the Deep Sea Adventure, the first sub is pretty much cut and ready for removal.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #1147
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

I'm curious what they plan on putting in the deep sea adventure once the subs are gone.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #1148
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
I'm curious what they plan on putting in the deep sea adventure once the subs are gone.
floating kiosks perfect for dead sea spa LOL
Old 24-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #1149
cdn
First One is Always Free

Confirmed!
Tim Hortons will be closing sometime in April (no exact date has yet been given). Does not look like anything for the next week or two due to spring break.
There will be a temp. kiosk setup (possibly even a second in a different location).
Tim Hortons will give about a week notice and a location once all of the details are finalized. (im guessing this is for the elevator re-do)
Source: Tim Hortons
Old 24-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #1150
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Looks like the Timmies elevator is remaining. The signage today states that it is under renovations. Meanwhile in the Deep Sea Adventure, the first sub is pretty much cut and ready for removal.
Better be far larger than the circular moving broom closet that has existed since 1986.

Last edited by NielCole; 24-03-2012 at 12:58 AM..
Old 24-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #1151
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
floating kiosks perfect for dead sea spa LOL
If they had continued to let the subs rot they could have piled them all in one spot and opened a simulated "Titanic Exhibition" Since it is on the verge of rusting to a pile of nothing as well.

Or revamp it as a Posiedon Adventure ride, Rip everything out in the lagoon and rebuild the 1972 movie set and charge admission for a Shelly Winters Christmas tree climb after the replica flips. With the "We may never love like this again" soundtrack song running over and over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd03qev59Jo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy76R...atured=related

Last edited by NielCole; 24-03-2012 at 01:28 AM..
Old 26-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #1152
ryziuk
First One is Always Free

Quote:

The massive steel structure on the Northwest is definitely for Simons. That's obvious.
The smaller steel structure (which I was referring to) on the south side by Sportchek is for the "flashy new exterior entrance."
This is for Pottery Barn
ryziuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #1153
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryziuk View Post
Quote:

This is for Pottery Barn
We have heard this rumour before. Do you have a link to an actual press release or news story. It would be nice if it was actually true.
Old 26-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #1154
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryziuk View Post
Quote:

This is for Pottery Barn
We have heard this rumour before. Do you have a link to an actual press release or news story. It would be nice if it was actually true.
Where are they going to fit Pottery Barn in around that section of the mall ? unless they kick out International Clothiers (a possibility) and Bootlegger (doubtful) because they just renovated last fall.

It will not be directly upstairs because Smart Set is moving into a new spot where Callis died and Apple is "supposed" to double its size into the former Disney space that was the now closed temp Calender store over the holidays.

Perhaps if they do close International Clothiers they will also close off that small access wing to the parking lot to create more space for the PB.....

Until Triple5 releases official details it is all theory anyways.
Old 27-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #1155
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Lord what a crappy managed and maintained mall.

So its Tuesday, cheap movie day at the Scotiabank Theatres.

Both esacalators were down at noon when the theatres had opened at 11 due to lots of people heading to the flicks because of it being spring break and that the Hunger Games is packing them in... AND not only that, the elevator is out of service.

I usually take my elderly mom to the shows on Tuesday to get her some exercise and get her out of the house. She is 83 and uses a cane.

We get to the elevator to go up and there is a young guy in wheelchair and another elderly gentleman in a scooter trying to go up. So I run up the stairs and get the theatre management who managed to get us to the mall service elevator next to the shooting range. Quite the long walk to get to (I know about it because since I work in the mall I sometimes need to dump boxes off by using it)

Get upstairs see the movie in the IMAX then when it is time to leave have to get the Theatre management to reverse the escalator down so my mom doesn't have to walk down the huge flight of stairs to the mezzanine of the theatre. Due to the still out of service elevator.

By that time they have both main escalators running (that was a suprise) but the elevator was still out of service. I spoke to the Theatre manager and she said the mall managementl had been informed on Sunday and nothing had even been attempted yet.

Pretty crappy way to treat handicapped customers by directing them to a scummy back service elevator to see the movies.

WEM obviously has poor priorities with maintenance because most of the time (including the newly replaced sets located between the Ice Palace and the new Second Cup) always seem to have one of them "out of service" for one strange reason or another.

I'm begining to think they bought the things online from discount "bargain" dealer because they never seem to work right. That and the up escalator at Scotiabank sounds and feels like a meat grinder when you step on it. And hope to god you make it up alive.

I think though WEM is the closest from now on it will be South Edmonton Commons or North Edmonton Cineplex because we have never experienced such a grueling trip to the movies.

Aside from the nutbag in the row behind us yapping on his cell during the movie so I had to get staff to tell him to turn the f-ing thing off.

WEM truely does seem to be run/maintained by morons and obviously some movie going morons are addicted to their phones too.
Old 27-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #1156
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

Maybe the only way to get W.E.M. to wake up a bit is to start bringing stories like this more and more to the attention of the media. I can see the media potentially jumping on something like this where it is a story that could snowball into bigger and bigger issues.
Old 27-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #1157
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Maybe the only way to get W.E.M. to wake up a bit is to start bringing stories like this more and more to the attention of the media. I can see the media potentially jumping on something like this where it is a story that could snowball into bigger and bigger issues.
Boy would I love to do that .....LOL. Perhaps some regulatory agency for handicapped people???? and CTV....heh heh heh

I'm suprised that Scotiabank theatres seems to have no power in regards to this since they are a huge draw to the mall AND they have hired quite a few handicapped employees as well.

Last edited by NielCole; 27-03-2012 at 05:52 PM..
Old 27-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #1158
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

Maybe there needs to be a tell-all website dedicated to "promoting" the mall
Gord Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #1159
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
Maybe there needs to be a tell-all website dedicated to "promoting" the mall
A better word that would come across would be "correcting" I think....
Old 27-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #1160
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Lord what a crappy managed and maintained mall.

So its Tuesday, cheap movie day at the Scotiabank Theatres.

Both esacalators were down at noon when the theatres had opened at 11 due to lots of people heading to the flicks because of it being spring break and that the Hunger Games is packing them in... AND not only that, the elevator is out of service.

I usually take my elderly mom to the shows on Tuesday to get her some exercise and get her out of the house. She is 83 and uses a cane.

We get to the elevator to go up and there is a young guy in wheelchair and another elderly gentleman in a scooter trying to go up. So I run up the stairs and get the theatre management who managed to get us to the mall service elevator next to the shooting range. Quite the long walk to get to (I know about it because since I work in the mall I sometimes need to dump boxes off by using it)

Get upstairs see the movie in the IMAX then when it is time to leave have to get the Theatre management to reverse the escalator down so my mom doesn't have to walk down the huge flight of stairs to the mezzanine of the theatre. Due to the still out of service elevator.

By that time they have both main escalators running (that was a suprise) but the elevator was still out of service. I spoke to the Theatre manager and she said the mall managementl had been informed on Sunday and nothing had even been attempted yet.

Pretty crappy way to treat handicapped customers by directing them to a scummy back service elevator to see the movies.

WEM obviously has poor priorities with maintenance because most of the time (including the newly replaced sets located between the Ice Palace and the new Second Cup) always seem to have one of them "out of service" for one strange reason or another.

I'm begining to think they bought the things online from discount "bargain" dealer because they never seem to work right. That and the up escalator at Scotiabank sounds and feels like a meat grinder when you step on it. And hope to god you make it up alive.

I think though WEM is the closest from now on it will be South Edmonton Commons or North Edmonton Cineplex because we have never experienced such a grueling trip to the movies.

Aside from the nutbag in the row behind us yapping on his cell during the movie so I had to get staff to tell him to turn the f-ing thing off.

WEM truely does seem to be run/maintained by morons and obviously some movie going morons are addicted to their phones too.
damn dude i used to work at the theater too management are a bunch of retards your better off going to south common or the new one there opening up in windeamere and its odd that the elevator is down but then again that elevator is crap and we had to deal with it every weekend when i was working there not to mention the escalators
Old 27-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #1161
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Or come to the theatre at City Centre Mall. It's miles better than what it used to be.
Old 27-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #1162
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
Or come to the theatre at City Centre Mall. It's miles better than what it used to be.
Unfortunately since the blockbuster we wanted to see was not playing at ECC that was not a choice. I wanted to drive over to SEC but due to running late we changed our minds and poop happens. We do hit SEC and the Northside Cineplex frequently will just have to increase that and once the Windermere opens up that will even create more choice.

But when it comes to the elevators and escalators WEM is a total "Academy Award Winner" for stupidity.

Even that stupid dragon in the Theatre lobby has been down for the past 2 months. Since darkmagnoblade worked for the Theatre perhaps you could tell us if the Dragon is the responsibility of either the mall or Cineplex.

We did get 2 free passes for the complaint (which suprised me) And being that most of the staff recognize us as regulars they were very polite. I was not hostile but very firm.

As for the cell phone dipsh*t it just wants to make me punch his lights out when he sits there and yaps on the phone. While everyone else in the theatre has paid a ton of $$$ to see it in the IMAX. He was there with his two sons and probably was big enough he could have snapped my neck afterwords but they all bolted once the credits started rolling because the other 200 or so people in the movie were watcing and very happy after I got the staff to have him shut the *uck up. He could have walked 20 feet to the mezzanine if the call he made was that important.

"MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOUR!" He got caught and felt like a jerk so perhaps he will never do that in front of his teenage sons again. HAPPY HUNGER GAMES!

Last edited by NielCole; 27-03-2012 at 10:56 PM..
Old 27-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #1163
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately since the blockbuster we wanted to see was not playing at ECC that was not a choice. I wanted to drive over to SEC but due to running late we changed our minds and poop happens. We do hit SEC and the Northside Cineplex frequently will just have to increase that and once the Windermere opens up that will even create more choice.

But when it comes to the elevators and escalators WEM is a total "Academy Award Winner" for stupidity.

Even that stupid dragon in the Theatre lobby has been down for the past 2 months. Since darkmagnoblade worked for the Theatre perhaps you could tell us if the Dragon is the responsibility of either the mall or Cineplex.

We did get 2 free passes for the complaint (which suprised me) And being that most of the staff recognize us as regulars they were very polite. I was not hostile but very firm.

As for the cell phone dipsh*t it just wants to make me punch his lights out when he sits there and yaps on the phone. While everyone else in the theatre has paid a ton of $$$ to see it in the IMAX. He was there with his two sons and probably was big enough he could have snapped my neck afterwords but they all bolted once the credits started rolling because the other 200 or so people in the movie were watcing and very happy after I got the staff to have him shut the *uck up. He could have walked 20 feet to the mezzanine if the call he made was that important.

"MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOUR!" He got caught and felt like a jerk so perhaps he will never do that in front of his teenage sons again. HAPPY HUNGER GAMES!
the dragon broke down in aug of 2010 and it was deemed too expensive to fix i forget what actualy broke and cinplex owns it as for the passes it happens depending who you get (you dont know there names do you)?
Old 28-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #1164
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the dragon broke down in aug of 2010 and it was deemed too expensive to fix i forget what actualy broke and cinplex owns it as for the passes it happens depending who you get (you dont know there names do you)?
The dragon was running before Christmas 2011. But was sporatically on and off before then but its "old and dated anyways" Since I work and go to the movies more in WEM then SEC or the northside I do notice it.

The manager on shift was a slightly "heavy set" lady with glasses.
Old 28-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #1165
halocore
Addicted to C2E

You would think with how stupidly few elevators there are in that mall (for its size), fixing them would be a priority. Nice way to cut off every elderly person / disabled person / parent with a large stroller from shopping at half the stores. Or I guess that's too logical for wem....

Although we've established that "tower" structure is for some retail store, it would still be nice if they could stick in an elevator somewhere in that part of the mall.
halocore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #1166
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

In addition to the previously mentioned maintenance issues and Kijiji listed purchase of escalators,some of newly installed lights are not working. While it doesn't effect customers or even comes close to Darrell's elevator horror story it is another in a long list of $hitty workmanship. I watched a maintenance worker replace non-working bulbs in phase one. 2 days later they weren't working again. As to the point of drawing this to the attention of the media,well that's a tricky situation especially if W E M is a major sponsor of that particular station. Mind you, I haven't seen any electronic or print adverts lately.

Last edited by Barry N; 28-03-2012 at 08:11 AM..
Old 28-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #1167
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by halocore View Post
You would think with how stupidly few elevators there are in that mall (for its size), fixing them would be a priority. Nice way to cut off every elderly person / disabled person / parent with a large stroller from shopping at half the stores. Or I guess that's too logical for wem....

Although we've established that "tower" structure is for some retail store, it would still be nice if they could stick in an elevator somewhere in that part of the mall.
well back in the 80's i highly doubt they though one was needed at that time but ya it would be nice but theres no real place to put one

and wtf is the mall thinking changing those buggys they have i like the patrol one they have but did we really need to super huge firetruck one like its hard enough walking though the mall already specially with all the renos taking down a walking lane or more depending where the work is being done
Old 28-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #1168
Schroeder
First One is Always Free

For what it's worth I think Triple 5 need to sell off the mall and focus on their US projects.
Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #1169
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
For what it's worth I think Triple 5 need to sell off the mall and focus on their US projects.
That would be nice, but it's WEM keeping their other assets solvent.
etownboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #1170
halocore
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
well back in the 80's i highly doubt they though one was needed at that time but ya it would be nice but theres no real place to put one
I'm sure if they really had the determination they could fit an elevator one into one of the open balcony areas like the one in front of the bay or the one by the food court / sport check. Newer elevators don't need the space for mechanics I'm sure the mall's current 80s brass can elevators need. Cant be that hard to retrofit. Just a question of will and money - which... I guess rules out triple 5.
halocore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #1171
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Walked by the theatre escalators yesterday and at least one of them is working.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #1172
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Typical. That lasted a whole 24 hours after getting them both up and running after the "down" escalator was ripped apart by maintenance crew for the 234,584th time. During a crowded week during Spring Break.
Old 29-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #1173
Mla
Addicted to C2E

I think I have only seen both working at the same time a handful of times. Which is bad considering I worked for the mall for almost two years.
Old 29-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #1174
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Obviously inept/crappy mall management and maintenance is standard there.
No other shopping centre I have been in on this planet (and its quite a few let me tell you) Have I seen such cheap ineffective owners.

Does Triple5 cheap out on these issues in the Mall of America as well? I have yet to step into that one.
Old 29-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #1175
Mla
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Obviously inept/crappy mall management and maintenance is standard there.
No other shopping centre I have been in on this planet (and its quite a few let me tell you) Have I seen such cheap ineffective owners.

Does Triple5 cheap out on these issues in the Mall of America as well? I have yet to step into that one.
I have never been there either but from what I hear from friends and associates who have been the answer is no. The Mall of America is apparently alot nicer than WEM.
Old 29-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #1176
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

alright well this is going way off topic i think so what does everyone think of the new outdoor lighting and are they still rebuilding the hotel entrance or whats going on with that also the new addon to entrance 44 is odd theres no doors or windows what what is the exact point of it? also they moved lids and that kiosk im guessing it has to do with the renos of the timmies and elevator
Old 29-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #1177
lat
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
alright well this is going way off topic i think so what does everyone think of the new outdoor lighting and are they still rebuilding the hotel entrance or whats going on with that also the new addon to entrance 44 is odd theres no doors or windows what what is the exact point of it? also they moved lids and that kiosk im guessing it has to do with the renos of the timmies and elevator
Wow! You used a punctuation mark! Next step, capitalization...
lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #1178
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat View Post
Quote:
Wow! You used a punctuation mark! Next step, capitalization...
is this where im suppose to care what you think?
Old 30-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #1179
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

Darkmagenoblade, lat may not have gone about it the right way, but he did have a point. It's a lot easier to read proper sentences than run-on thoughts like you post. I skip most of the things you write because they don't tend to make sense the way they're written. I'm sure you have some great things to contribute to the forum, you just have to work a bit on the delivery.
Gord Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #1180
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

how about we ALL just stop being the grammar police and STAY ON TOPIC!!!!!!!
Old 30-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #1181
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ See, now you're making up for it with many exclamation marks
Old 30-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #1182
lat
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
yay! you found the shift key!

edit: OK, to be helpful instead of just a jerk...

How can you expect anyone to take what you have to say seriously, when you don't take the way you say it seriously. The way you present your point is crucial to how it is accepted...

Last edited by lat; 30-03-2012 at 09:25 AM..
lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #1183
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
That's easier said than done when you don't use punctuation, uppercase letters to denote the start of a new sentence, etc. Generally, it's easier to ignore your posts than read trough them and respond.
etownboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #1184
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

Although I agree with the sentence structure and punctuation points people are making, I also am curious about some of the things dark was asking about. Anybody have any updates on those items?
Old 30-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #1185
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

^ No sorry I can't shed any light on his topics. I can report that the Victoria Secret seating area is being set up again. The floor is grouted and cleaned and workers are re-installing the benches and soon the barricades will come down and life will return to some sense of normality in that area. Now, all that remains is do the finishing touches around the new Second Cup [ it's only been open since before Christmas ] and still no completion,but that's standard modus operandi for 555.
Old 30-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #1186
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
^ No sorry I can't shed any light on his topics. I can report that the Victoria Secret seating area is being set up again. The floor is grouted and cleaned and workers are re-installing the benches and soon the barricades will come down and life will return to some sense of normality in that area. Now, all that remains is do the finishing touches around the new Second Cup [ it's only been open since before Christmas ] and still no completion,but that's standard modus operandi for 555.
What was the issue with the tiles that were there before?
Old 30-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #1187
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
What was the issue with the tiles that were there before?
Not really sure. The only reason I can think of is that the removal-reinstall was so that a defined seating area could be done in the dark-mocha coloured tiles that are used in other parts of the mall. If this is really the case and they are nit-picking this much I say '' Why only this part of the mall ? "

Cheers.
Old 30-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #1188
NielCole
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Heck they still have patches of wood on the floor by the oil workers sculpture so that is NOT a suprise AT ALL!.
Old 30-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #1189
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

^ Time and time again I have seen 555 people walking around, and yet as you correctly point out there are multiple areas that remain unfinished. I can only surmise that "tunnel vision " is in effect.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #1190
theconcerned
First One is Always Free

Default Squid tentacles

Hi,

I'm a new poster here, and I know that this isn't necessarily the forum for such an odd topic, but . . . does anyone know what happened to the squid tentacles which were part of the submarine ride, when the sub was "attacked?"

My brother is obsessed with those tentacles and would love to get the chance to own one or two. We saw that there was recently an auction of some of the old Burbon Street statues and I was wondering, specifically,

1. Does anyone know if the actual squid arms still exist?
2. Would there be any chance or way of buying them?
3. Is there any "normal" way of knowing when old West Ed stuff is being auctioned, like a mailing list or something? We'd love to be in the know.

Again, sorry for the totally random questions, but I found this forum using a Google search and it really seems to be a great place for info, from people who actually have some real answers. Thanks!

P.S. -- If there's a better place to ask these questions, just send me there.

Last edited by theconcerned; 09-04-2012 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: Spelling
theconcerned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #1191
Dialog
Addicted to C2E

Best. Introductory. Post. Ever.

Hi. No clue personally.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #1192
theconcerned
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
Best. Introductory. Post. Ever.

Hi. No clue personally.
I know, but seriously . . . he's been talking about those tentacles since he was a little kid. He has dreams about them. He needs those damn squid arms.

Last edited by theconcerned; 09-04-2012 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #1193
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

He dreams about squid tentacles?

My guess is West Ed has a room in the back someplace (or several rooms) where they keep all their old stuff that they haven't had time to auction off yet. Have you tried contacting customer service directly? Surely somebody there will know somebody who knows something.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:37 AM   #1194
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

they should still be in the lagoon last time i looked over by the crashed mini sub unless im seeing things
Old 09-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #1195
theconcerned
First One is Always Free

Quote:
they should still be in the lagoon last time i looked over by the crashed mini sub unless im seeing things
I didn't know that. If they're still there, does anyone know if they'll just be left alone or, now that they're doing the sub rennovations, be removed?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #1196
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Let me get this straight. He is obsessed with automated squid tentacles ? Has anyone considered increasing his meds ?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #1197
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

Took these cell phone pics a week ago. Just kept forgetting to post them. I haven't been there since so I'm not sure if it looks any different.

A little hard to see but the sub has been cut in half and the roof cut off.

The control room at the sub yard is being demolished.

The seating area in front of Victoria's Secret is back in business.

The ceilings are out in phase 3

Phase 2 fountains starting to take shape.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #1198
theconcerned
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Let me get this straight. He is obsessed with automated squid tentacles ? Has anyone considered increasing his meds ?
If you think that's bad you should try listening about the dreams he has all the time . . . Anyway, after talking with him he also believes that they're still under the water but thinks they'll be coming out with the rennos. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #1199
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

Default wem phone list here

http://www.wem.ca/#/contact-us/phone-list
Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #1200
sundance
Addicted to C2E

Ran into this article about the American Dream Meadowlands which will (when open) be run by Triple 5
http://enr.construction.com/yb/enr/a...y_id=171252697
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote