Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Travel and Tourism Are you visiting Edmonton in the near future, or if you live here, do you have ideas about how we can promote ourselves more effectively? What are our best – and worst – attractions? Post here for information or to provide suggestions!

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Growing Edmonton > Travel and Tourism

Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Default New Promo vid of Edmonton for Australia

Video link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaX4a...eature=channel

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

I like it. Could use more summer footage though. Fireworks, Fringe, Parades, Taste of Edmonton, FolkFest, etc.
Alex.L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
IanO
Addicted to C2E

more whyte, 104st, Oilers, Esks...

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
booster
Addicted to C2E

Big improvement over what has been used in the past. Looks like it was done in January based on the lack of snow. I like the flow of it. Not bad Ed Tourism!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Big improvement over what has been used in the past. Looks like it was done in January based on the lack of snow. I like the flow of it. Not bad Ed Tourism!
It lingers on each shot a little too long for my taste, but you're right, it's better than a lot of the other promo videos we've seen.
Alex.L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Bill
Addicted to C2E

Good. But need to balance vid with fall/summer footage.

Last edited by Bill; 01-03-2012 at 01:33 PM..
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
booster
Addicted to C2E

Don't forget this one is geared toward winter so it is good in that way.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

OK, BIG WOW !!!!
for this one
First of many Edmonton Tourism ???
Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
oscar
Addicted to C2E

I'm a little lost, is this a promo vid for West Edmonton Mall or for Edmonton?
oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Edmonton and its attractions, including the mall.

Why do I bother sometimes.

www.decl.org

Old 01-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
DTrobotnik
Addicted to C2E

def needs some post production
DTrobotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

Very good video and it sure packs a lot of energy in the last 20 seconds or so.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
brett-
Partially Addicted to C2E

It gets the message across OK, but I would like to see another done in the summer. Folkfest, Fringe, 104th Street Farmer's Market, one of the big festivals in Churchill, Whyte Ave., etcetera. Summer is when Edmonton really comes alive and would add the wow factor lacking from this vid.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

West Edm Mall hurricane simulator?!

Loved it all except that.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
FlyFlyAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett- View Post
It gets the message across OK, but I would like to see another done in the summer. Folkfest, Fringe, 104th Street Farmer's Market, one of the big festivals in Churchill, Whyte Ave., etcetera. Summer is when Edmonton really comes alive and would add the wow factor lacking from this vid.
It seemed clear to me (but maybe I'm wrong) that the premise of the video is to refute the "snowshoe to work in Edmonton" concern. Given that the market is Australia, I presume they're trying to draw SH-summer visitors away from "temperate" Whistler/Vancouver and towards "wintery" Alberta. SH-winter version of video to come next (if at all appropriate to the specific Australian audience targeted for this particular clip). For all I know, this video was done for AC flight 34 to run November - February only....

Thanks Ian for the forward.
FlyFlyAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
Montrosian
Addicted to C2E

I think it had a bit too much emphasis on WEM (go figure) and not enough everything else. They didn't mention anything about the nightlife on whyte ave or downtown, or even the arts district. Probably could've tossed in a shot of the Royal Alberta Museum and Telus World Of Science too. I'd also like to know where they got the white water rafting clip from because it's obviously not Edmonton

Last edited by Montrosian; 02-03-2012 at 12:39 PM..
Montrosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Way too much covergae of W.E.M.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
Jeremy
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
Way too much covergae of W.E.M.
People sure seem to have a love-hate relationship with that place. It was only maybe a third of the video, and like it or not for international vistors it's still one of the first things they probably think of. That said some "more than just the mall" video's might work, although telling people they shouldn't go there isn't a good idea, either.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

I like the weeping willow.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
Hull534
Addicted to C2E

I have no problem with promotion of the West Edmonton Mall , dollars spent there benefit Edmonton. For the life of me , I cannot understand why Tourism Edmonton and Tourism Alberta do not have major tourism pavillions and information centres in the mall. It has millions of visitors ,most who drive and have flexibility in their travel to take advantage of the attractions we can offer.
Hull534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #21
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Now that Gateway Park is closing because of the 41 Ave SW interchange, maybe they can move the travel centre to WEM if reopening it at the YEG interchange is not a viable option?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #22
stunkermann

Lightbulb

as if someone is going to travel all the way around the world to spend hard earned cash at an outdated mall which stocks the same crap you can buy anywhere? advertising for wem only keeps tourists away, so if you cant fund your own promotion, i would take a more positive approach and not even bother
stunkermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #23
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Its not just the mall. People won't travel "half way around the world" for just the mall, but perhaps a week in banff/jasper and some shopping for the wife in Edmonton before heading back to Australia or furthering on a Canadian exploration? Happens frequently.

No, nobody will travel just for the mall alone, but without the mall, Edmonton would be passed up a lot (more), especially with Calgary being the "big city next to the Rockies"
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #24
24karat
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
Now that Gateway Park is closing because of the 41 Ave SW interchange, ...
I hadn't heard about that. Can you offer more info?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #25
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...?t=3135&page=2
Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

The city looks terrible in this video, like part of Siberia. I get the feeling this is more of an exchange type thing though, Australians aren't going to pay close to $2,000 each to travel to Edmonton when for less money they can fly twice the distance to Europe (because of Canada's artificially high international air-fares). However, if they are already in Canada, they may check us out.

I think the real tourist market for Edmonton is four-fold:

1. Focus on small towns in the Prairies, weekend getaways to things a small town doesn't offer
2. Focus on Calgary, esp. WEM, and in summer, Fort Edmonton Park
3. Focus on sports - packages for Oilers and Eskimos games for opposing team fans
4. Try to get more "hooked in" to the Vancouver / Bannf / Jasper tourist trail (i.e. target agencies who have the tourists to bring them here). I think one day when there is HSR this will be easier, but until then, need to try and get Edmonton on more tourist bus routes and similar.

Last edited by moahunter; 03-03-2012 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: added Calgary
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #27
FlyFlyAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunkermann View Post
as if someone is going to travel all the way around the world to spend hard earned cash at an outdated mall which stocks the same crap you can buy anywhere? advertising for wem only keeps tourists away, so if you cant fund your own promotion, i would take a more positive approach and not even bother
Tens of thousands of people - mostly female, if I may stereotype - spend thousands of dollars to be stuck on a boat for a week, primarily because it's a comfortable way to go shopping in two or three cities to buy overpriced jewelry at stores with the same (or less) selection than the ones in their nearest downtown/city. And these are people who live in a country/countries where retail prices and selection are the best anywhere. Imagine what people in retail-constrained countries will do!

Retail shopping just passed "visiting family/friends" and "business visit" as the number one reason why Brazilian residents fly to Miami according to a report. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar survey of home purchasers from Brazil found "base of shopping operations" as a high-ranking reason for purchasing their home.

Never underestimate the draw of retail. Not saying it's right, can't say I understand it, just saying that it is. And as shopping malls go, WEM is one of the top "destination malls". I think that's a compliment.
FlyFlyAway is offline   Reply With Quote