Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-topic/General Discussion Discussions not covered under the topics we currently have (a place to hang out).

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Off-topic/General Discussion

Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #101
Thomas Hinderks
Flying Encyclopedia

kkozoriz:
Quote:
Of course there's no chance of that happening. What we're doing is coming up with ways that our defense dollars can be better spent. As opposed to buying a bunch of stealthy planes that have trouble in the rain, are running late and over budget and have a single engine when we're talking about them doing coastal & hight arctic patrol.
Booster:
Quote:
And for what its worth, Tom, I am in full agreement with you in regards to your comments about domestic service first of which we are woefully inadequate at the moment.
We seem to have thoughts that aim in the same direction!

The North is going to become more and more of an issue...that I'll agree with Moa on...as I have read a rather extensive series of articles and where things are heading.

Combined with the need to protect our East and West Coasts, provide full and extensive SAR and disaster services.

We need to look beyond the current military box to do this effectively and cost efficiently. That means addressing "Military" issues at the same time we deal with other "Canadian" issues that are not being handled well.

That is what leads to many of the thoughts on "how to do it".

What may surprise some is that they are grounded in the way we used to do things.
The Cold War dominates history and education, but at the same time, while poorly documented, we did much for our own border/fisheries/SAR at the same time and had far wider coverage, more effective coverage than we do today.

At the same time while "unofficial" a lot was done in the terms I have been suggesting for remote, small and Northern communities. Plus the whole social, educational impact of a larger armed forces.

There are better ways to deal with our issues than "following the pack" when it comes to our military. We have already done it...45-60 years ago.

Now we can do it better, smarter and even more effectively.

Tom
Thomas Hinderks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #102
booster
Addicted to C2E

another excellent blog from Elise about the Northern Rangers. Doesn't have to be fancy, but has to be something!
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...mer-commander/
Old 30-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #103
KC
Addicted to C2E

A fairly interesting article - though only remotely related to this thread. (Didn't see a better place to post it.)

Attrition: Fighter Pilots Doomed By Poverty
December 30, 2013

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/hta.../20131230.aspx
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #104
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Funny. The US is building 2 new supercarriers at $9B a piece, plus $7M per day operating costs, but training for pilots is too much? Without good pilots, supercarriers are worthless.

I didn't read the full article, but I hope they're at least putting their best trained on these things, considering they're building floating armies instead of educating their children. If you make that compromise, better at least do it right.
Old 30-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #105
Drumbones
Addicted to C2E

They have great simulators now that help to offset.
Drumbones is offline   Reply With Quote