Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Guest Columnists C2E both solicits and welcomes columns written by members dealing with specific, topical subjects. Read them here, comment on them; offer your own ideas.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Guest Columnists

Old 24-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
cara
Partially Addicted to C2E

Default FlyEdmonton.com

Previous attempts have been made to bring attention to Edmonton’s non-stop air service. Fly Edmonton First was popular in the nineties to promote Edmonton International Airport’s (EIA) air service.

Alberta has the fourth and fifth largest airports in the country in terms of passenger enplanements and deplanements, however, the cities themselves have almost exactly the same population bases to draw from.

Historically, air service in Calgary has outpaced Edmonton. Many passengers chose to drive to Calgary to take advantage of additional flight options.

Beginning in late 2005, air service began to grow at a far greater rate at EIA. This trend has continued in 2006 and will continue through this year with approximately 30 per cent more flights and seats departing EIA this coming summer period.

Many new non-stop routes have been announced and launched from Edmonton and folks in the EIA region and north need to be aware of the new options that are now available in their own backyard.

One of the fastest growing sectors has been U.S flights, which have grown from two to nine since 1996. This is the segment of Edmonton’s air service that we have chosen to focus on first with our new FlyEdmonton.com program.

With all the new non-stop flight choices available from EIA, we needed a quick, easy and fun way to do some preliminary research about our region’s new travel options.

To do this we have created a program that promotes awareness of non-stop flight choices from EIA and encourages travellers to "look before they book" to ensure they fly to and from EIA before opting for a connection flight or a drive to Calgary as historically some Edmonton travellers have done.

For the nine U.S. hub cities now served from EIA, passengers are really just one stop away from almost any destination in the world.

Not only is EIA the hometown favorite, it is also very convenient, fast and efficient, as clearing U.S. customs is a breeze through our pre-clearance facilities.

The website will show EIA travellers the non-stop destinations they can get to now. The first phase focuses of U.S flights and international/sunspot charter destinations now served from EIA. The next phase will include are Canada/domestic services.

When travellers book their flights through EIA, they’re voting to maintain and improve Edmonton air service.

Visit www.flyedmonton.com
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
amanzano

With Air service growing at a faster rate than most other airports in the country, the EAA must be doing something right. But what's needed to try and bring more flights, esp international ones, to Edm. Question is...how? Can I rant about one thing, I flew one of our major carriers last week from winnipeg. Problem is, they have no outgoing flights to Edm from Wpg after 4PM CST. Let me tell you how frustrating it was to have to fly to calgary, wait an hour for a tranferring flight, see the MUCH LARGER YYC airport, and fly home. I hope this fly edmonton site works.
amanzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
amanzano

one more thing. YYC seems to have so much more airlines vyying to get in there. Delta set up a winter ski package from Atlanta, Harmony air is flying more direct flights to Hawaii, and Zoom (which I believe is based out of Ottawa) is now flying non-stop to Paris. What to do, what to do?
Old 04-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

I think the ERAA is doing a great job at promoting YEG, but flyedmonton.com is a marketing campaign that isn't designed well. I think there is much better ways to invest time and energy in promoting YEG. The design of the website is poor, (some states don't even appear, which is reallly unprofessional).

The ERAA continues to promote Edmonton from what I can tell in a good way via International conventions ie the Washington Alberta display at the Wasington Mall currently. Overall I hope they keep bring new carriers in with better frequencies domestically and transborder...and eventually internationally.

I do wonder what type of tourism suggestion ERAA gives tourism operators. A partnership with VIA rail would be a great way to link YEG and Edmonton to Jasper and Eastern B.C.
Brentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
MylesC
Addicted to C2E

Just get me a direct to Europe year round option so I don't have to go through the USA and the "Homeland Security Inspections" when I don't want to go Air Canada
MylesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #6
lux
Addicted to C2E

This fall I am going to London. Nobody (major) will take me there directly from Edmonton. So we're going to drive. To Vancouver.

I will not go to Calgary simply because it is convenient for Air Canada to have me go from Calgary. Particulary since Edmonton is closer to London and the obvious thing would be for a flight from Calgary to fly through Edmonton and then directly to London, not the other way around.

Happily, British Airways offers a direct flight from Vancouver, cheaper than Air Canada and so now I get a scenic drive and a few days holiday there to top it all off.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
JimR

Lux,

You'll be hearing more about this but from Sept. 21-30, two daily flights to London and one to Frankfurt will be offered by Air Canada due to a runway closure at Calgary International.

The more Edmontonians we can put on those plane, the better our case for establishing our own route.
JimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
lux
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR
Lux,

You'll be hearing more about this but from Sept. 21-30, two daily flights to London and one to Frankfurt will be offered by Air Canada due to a runway closure at Calgary International.

The more Edmontonians we can put on those plane, the better our case for establishing our own route.
Oh! I would have done that, too! Tickets already booked though. Pity. I agree with you about getting Edmontonians on planes leaving direct from Edmonton...

When we made our plans via Vancouver, I think our idea similar: "The fewer Edmontonians we can put through Calgary, the better our case for establishing our own route."

But Edmonton direct would have been my first choice.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
PrairieBoyinExile

British Airways just added service to Calgary...still nothing for Edmonton. What a bunch of idiots. I hope they lose money on the route while cutting into Air Canada's profits as well. It's so ridiculous to have three daily flights from Calgary and none from Edmonton. Kudos to you guys for avoiding connecting in Calgary. Every Edmontonian needs to try to do this.
PrairieBoyinExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #10
RichardS
C2E Junkie

Funny thing...

A friend of mine had her best friend's mother find herself in a serious accident. They are trying to get back here to Edmonton from London to visit her should all go to *ahem*.

They are trying to book a flight through various travel agents as they really are not internet savvy. From Thomas Cook to others, they are only booking them to Calgary. THEN, and only then, are they offering Edmonton choices (rent a car, take a bus, buy another air ticket). Not one is offering a package thru to Edmonton.

Is this because there are no package deals and the regualr fare is too $$$? Do these travel agents not know where Edmonton is????? I know travel agents are incented on deals that the get from airlines etc, so then are ALL airlines ignoring Edmonton?

I have no clue. However, I am phoning Thomas Cook to find out.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #11
codeman9669

I am curious to know your findings. This sounds like complete RUBBISH to me! WAKE UP people!

Am I missing something - we are the sixth largest city (CMA) in the country...
codeman9669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
amanzano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS
Funny thing...
They are trying to book a flight through various travel agents as they really are not internet savvy. From Thomas Cook to others, they are only booking them to Calgary. THEN, and only then, are they offering Edmonton choices (rent a car, take a bus, buy another air ticket). Not one is offering a package thru to Edmonton.

Is this because there are no package deals and the regualr fare is too $$$? Do these travel agents not know where Edmonton is????? I know travel agents are incented on deals that the get from airlines etc, so then are ALL airlines ignoring Edmonton?
wow, I'm sure EAA is aware of this, but are they marketing beyond the flyedmonton.com site? Too many people don't know where Edmonton is. Even the people @ monopoly screwed up this week by placing WEM in Ft. Mac on their newest edition of the game. I guess 1 million+ people, one of the best economies anywhere in N. America, one of the best places to live, AND the highest tourist city in Alberta...and on and on...doesn't seem to motivate airlines to recognize the city.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:10 AM   #13
cara

What if a document was compiled with a sample of 5000 names of Edmontonians and sent to the airline.

The document could show:

1. The origin of the traveler - Edmonton
2. The destination - i.e. London/Frankfurt etc
3. The route - i.e. Edmonton --> Denver --> London, Edmonton --> Chicago --> Frankfurt

The point: To show that Edmontonians are travelling overseas but WILL NOT connect through Calgary simply because it's convenient.

Could something like this work?
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #14
RichardS
C2E Junkie

Possible...
Old 12-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #15
amanzano

I don't want to sound like the pessimistic but I doubt it.

That's part of my disappointment about the defunct airline Canada 3000. Their plans were to turn Edmonton into a minihub for their flights in the West. What I think should happen is that EAA should focus on flights that Albertans would use that Calgary doesn't already offer and chase those flights. That way we can justify flights to YEG and then the Flyedmonton.com site would be more effective
Old 12-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #16
grish
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanzano
I don't want to sound like the pessimistic but I doubt it.

That's part of my disappointment about the defunct airline Canada 3000. Their plans were to turn Edmonton into a minihub for their flights in the West. What I think should happen is that EAA should focus on flights that Albertans would use that Calgary doesn't already offer and chase those flights. That way we can justify flights to YEG and then the Flyedmonton.com site would be more effective
it is always important to capture a niche. however, flights to such centres as London and Frankfurt are not luxuries--this is something that any large community should have. This is important considering our multicultural populations who still have roots all over the world, it is emportant to sustain our economic growth, and it is important because I don't want to spend any more time on a plane than I have to. Oh, and it is good for my ego as well.
grish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 12:19 AM   #17
RyanS
Addicted to C2E

Jetsgo had some vision of a mini western Edmonton hub too...if only we could attract airlines who werent about to go out of business..

Also didnt EAA have some sort of survey/list recently? I remember not so long ago filling out a survey online about my top European destinations, how much business I do in Europe, etc.. if I remember it was regarding a Lufthansa flight.
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 12:30 AM   #18
amanzano

I would love to suggest that a company like CanJet should set up shop here, but I just looked at the website and Calgary is the only location they have out west. Mind you, it looks like there's only one direct flight and that's to Toronto. There's none from Atlantic Canada to Calgary. Also, the YYC flight looks like it's seasonal. That's where Edm can come in...hint hint hint...get on it EAA.

as for that luftansa flight...I think it was to find demand to frankfurt. I don't know what happened to it though. Oh well...
Old 13-07-2006, 12:34 AM   #19
grish
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanzano
I would love to suggest that a company like CanJet should set up shop here, but I just looked at the website and Calgary is the only location they have out west. Mind you, it looks like there's only one direct flight and that's to Toronto. There's none from Atlantic Canada to Calgary. Also, the YYC flight looks like it's seasonal. That's where Edm can come in...hint hint hint...get on it EAA.
as soon as CanJet announced their expansion west, I wrote them an e-mail inquiring why they have no flights out of edmonton. the reply was the standard, polite brush off. maybe more people should write. at the very least it will tell the company that they have name recognition in edmonton and plant a seed in their little brains.
grish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 10:12 PM   #20
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

The YYC service is being canned.
Brentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #21
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

With the announcement that British Airways will be flying to Calgary and not to Edmonton – I like many other Edmontonians are getting very frustrated by the lack of action & public information (or campaign) to secure scheduled YEG to Europe Non-Stop to Europe flights. I have of course written to EAA previously about my concerns – and here are some current questions/suggestions.

Does EAA has an adequate in-house team to build the right business cases – or should EAA be outsourcing this consulting – including lobbyists (from European firms and/or major US firms without ties to our competitor cities). Increase the budget to do this immediately.
Why is EAA not promoting a NWA/KLM route (KLM owns Martinair) flight like Minneapolis to YEG then on to Amsterdam and the returning that route. With 3 flights a day to Minneapolis from YEG - this could tie into that – possibly allowing the same plane to continue on (giving Minneapolis destined passengers another option to get home as well. This could prove beneficial to NWA in their staffing here at YEG etc. Schipol is an ideal European hub – with great connections out – and NWA/KLM is not part of the Star Alliance or One World – but Skyteam. Forget about Air Canada – they are self serving – and we can not wait for them to rediscover Edmonton. Lets use our friends in the Dutch community here to help us work with NWA/KLM to get to AMS rather than spin our wheels hoping for Gatwick or Frankfurt. AMS has much better connections than Frankfurt.
Why not engage in discussions with Ryanair and Easyjet? While they are discount carriers – they are here to stay and eating the heart of the mainline carriers in Europe. I fly them regularly – and being able to fly on a so called discount carrier non-stop is better than being forced to make even one stop. Many European cities are subsidizing carriers for 3 or more years to get routes – allowing time to “establish” the route and build traffic. Below is an article about Toulon France and Ryanair. Why EAA does not hold private meetings with the municipalities in the Capital Region to develop a “flight fund” that would allow EAA to provide a subsidy to secure services. Business could contribute as well as airport fees. It could also be offered to AC, WJ etc. through a public offering – so that there are no cries of foul play – the winner(s) works with EAA. We need out of the box thinking on this – and you folks at EAA need to step up to the plate on this and/or be resourced internally or externally to allow this to happen.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...623&ID=5819468

http://www.sbpost.ie/breakingnews/br...&n=12172654&x=

Having said all of this – I appreciate the tremendous efforts made to secure additional flights to the US. We are seeing success – and I am personally benefiting by all the great strides made. We need to focus on Europe now – and do some strategic thinking. That includes the possibility of Edmonton being the first city served by Ryanair or Easyjet – even if we have to build a hanger and give them a 3 years subsidy. EAA needs a full time dedicated team working on this effort – with outside assistance to get this job done. Get on with it please.
EdmTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 10:35 PM   #22
ThomasH
Addicted to C2E

Here is a crazy idea...

The city of Edmonton should start its own airline company called Edmonton Airways serving Edmontonians and those who want to get to Edmonton.
Old 15-07-2006, 12:19 AM   #23
RichardS
C2E Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker
With the announcement that British Airways will be flying to Calgary and not to Edmonton – I like many other Edmontonians are getting very frustrated by the lack of action & public information (or campaign) to secure scheduled YEG to Europe Non-Stop to Europe flights. I have of course written to EAA previously about my concerns – and here are some current questions/suggestions.

(...).
Just a point of order, it is the Edmonton Regional Airports Authority, or ERAA. The EAA went out some time ago.
Old 15-07-2006, 01:08 AM   #24
amanzano

I don't know what others might think of this, but here's an idea. WJ and AC have built YYC into a hub and the vast number of YEG passangers are exciting for them because it is a pool of customers to help buoy the flights they have going there...like the YYC-LHR route, which might not survive without Edmontonians flying it.

This is a controversial plan, is a bit of a gamble, but may also work out ok for us. The open skies plan of allowing US airlines fly domestic routes within Canada, and vice versa might help. If an american company saw the potential in Edmonton and chose to build their Hub here, drawing customers from other cities, like Cgy, or Van and from the North, we might have a better chance of int'l routes.

Insane idea? I don't know. I just remember that this policy was struck down a few years ago for fear of destroying AC and/or WestJet.
Old 15-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #25
RichardS
C2E Junkie

It is not insane, but rather viable and thought of before (NorthWest for example wanted to use Edmonton a lot at one time).

The issue is a regional feeder to help with some local traffic.