PDA

View Full Version : Fun Volunteering Experiences in Edmonton?

reservoircat
01-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I've been a longtime volunteer in the Edmonton community, and I've tried multiple different roles: working in crisis intervention, supporting palliative care and feeding hungry citizens. Sports and culture, and other neat things around town.

But my absolute favorite volunteer experience for just straight selfish fun: The Edmonton Folk Music Festival. Not only was it filled with music and warm friendly people, but the EFMF Society has such a mature and evolved business model for their volunteer program.

Years ago, I also volunteered for the Edmonton Fringe Festival, which was also fun in its own special way. But my experience with the Folk Festival will always standout as the funnest form of Edmonton volunteering I've ever done.

Where have you had fun volunteer experiences in the Edmonton area?

etownboarder
01-10-2008, 12:57 PM
My brothers gf volunteered at the Folk Fest this year, and she said it was, without a doubt, one of the greatest times she has ever had. I've done some volunteer work with the Youth Emergency Shelter, particularly the Cornflake Breakfast and a couple Bingos. The Bingos were fun and the Cornflake Breakfast was really touching.

DebraW
01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
I too am a longtime volunteer in Edmonton and enjoy each opportunity to interact with fellow Edmontonians. Probably my favourite is as an in-school mentor.

Having the opportunity to be a kid again while simply being a constant, reliable influence in a child's life is indescribable.:D

catz4uw
01-10-2008, 01:56 PM
I am a regular volunteer with the Edmonton Humane Society. I mostly work outside the shelter doing fundraising and assisting with events. Each year we have our annual Pets in the Park event and I get to be photographer. It's great fun! It's neat to see all the different animals. The highlight for me came in 2006 when I got to meet Mira, the dog who some horrible ^*&%^*%&^%&^$ threw in the garbage. It was 3 months after a kind soul found her and brought her into the shelter where she received a lot of TLC and medical attention. I met her and her adoptive parents (just wonderful people) and it was so rewarding to see a happy-go-lucky dog, who had clearly put her horrible ordeal behind her. Really rewarding to see the results of everyone's hard work, in seeing a happy, healthy dog.

Tiran
01-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Edmonton Folk Music Festival and the Pure Speculation Sci-fi and Fantasy Festival (which I have been a bit slack about.)

raz0469
02-10-2008, 04:31 PM
I've done Folk Fest for 3 years now, and yes it's a total blast and they treat their volunteers like gold.

CigarHippo
03-10-2008, 08:26 AM
I am a regular volunteer with the Edmonton Humane Society. I mostly work outside the shelter doing fundraising and assisting with events. Each year we have our annual Pets in the Park event and I get to be photographer. It's great fun! It's neat to see all the different animals. The highlight for me came in 2006 when I got to meet Mira, the dog who some horrible ^*&%^*%&^%&^$ threw in the garbage. It was 3 months after a kind soul found her and brought her into the shelter where she received a lot of TLC and medical attention. I met her and her adoptive parents (just wonderful people) and it was so rewarding to see a happy-go-lucky dog, who had clearly put her horrible ordeal behind her. Really rewarding to see the results of everyone's hard work, in seeing a happy, healthy dog.

i just wanted to thank you for your efforts. kind human beings that love animals like you are what give me hope for humanity and this planet. thank you.

gadgetgreg
05-03-2009, 03:07 PM
I had a wonderful opportunity to do some research and wrote and article on how Volunteerism originated and evolved over the last 100 years. Edmontonians and Albertan are truly dedicated to volunteerism.

http://www.troymedia.com/NewsBeats/The_Health_and_LifeStyle_News_Beat/2008/07/TR073008.htm

You can also visit, the Alberta On-line Encyclopedia where there is a site dedicated to 100 years of Alberta Volunteerism.

http://www.abheritage.ca/volunteer/organizations/umbrella_alberta.html
enjoy

24karat
05-03-2009, 05:11 PM
I've helped out during CKUA's fund raisers, worked as a volunteer at the Edmonton Indy and before that at the Champ Car races, plus I do a lot of volunteer work with the Knights of Columbus. I was also a volunteer for the World Athletic Championships. Volunteering is a great way to help the community and at the same time tomeet new people.

amelanchier
05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I love to volunteer for the Edmonton Journal's Raise a Reader book sale. Millions of books, helping people find books - what's not to like? Funds go to literacy programs - also a Good Thing. They treat the volunteers well and I've aquired a lot of books there, too. Not that I NEED more books but I always WANT more.

I have also volunteered for the Edmonton Horticultural Society, my community garden, tai chi society, in schools and with the community league - there are no end of opportunities.

DebraW
05-03-2009, 09:04 PM
I love to volunteer for the Edmonton Journal's Raise a Reader book sale. Millions of books, helping people find books - what's not to like? Funds go to literacy programs - also a Good Thing. They treat the volunteers well and I've aquired a lot of books there, too. Not that I NEED more books but I always WANT more.

I have also volunteered for the Edmonton Horticultural Society, my community garden, tai chi society, in schools and with the community league - there are no end of opportunities.

YES!

I love to volunteer for Raise a Reader too (and need no more books either). I have also done the celebrity street sales for the Raise a Reader and that is a hoot as well.

Ssqauared
06-07-2009, 12:47 AM

YES!

I love to volunteer for Raise a Reader too (and need no more books either). I have also done the celebrity street sales for the Raise a Reader and that is a hoot as well.

When do they have these sales? It sounds like it would be awesome fun to volunteer for one.

etownboarder
06-07-2009, 09:15 AM
I think the sales are in the fall sometime... Like beginning of October perhaps? I know it's dark in the morning when I walk by the person selling the papers.

amelanchier
06-07-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't know when they do the street sales. I've not volunteered for that as I don't work down town.

The used book sale was in mid April with collection days end of March/beginning of April. They usually start advertising for donations and volunteers in March.

They usually start advertising the two collection days and the sale day in March.

accountingsucks
17-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Just curious, but how does one find these opportunities? Is there a website somewhere? Folk Fest sounds like it would be fun

etownboarder
17-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Check with folk fest, but apparently sometimes they have to turn volunteers away, because it's such a popular event to volunteer for.

raz0469
20-07-2009, 09:46 AM
^Yeah, and you might have to work your way up from some of the lesser desired volunteer positions as well.

Blueline
21-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Here (???) :
http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents/resident_services_programs/volunteer-opportunities-city.aspx
http://www.volunteeredmonton.com/

Jimbo
22-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I volunteered to help with the picnic for Temporary Foreign Workers held last Saturday afternoon by Catholic Social Services. I was supposed to be there for them. Instead, they went out of their way to make me feel like I was their guest, and if I'd eaten all of the food offered to me, I'd pop.

What a great bunch of people. And some heartwrenching stories. Most were treated well here, I believe, but there are still some Canadians (in many cases immigrants themselves) who clearly believe they can treat people like slaves. Literally.

I understand we have challenges regarding the resources required to monitor the system better, but if an employer is clearly hiring TFW's because Canadians, rightly, refuse to be treated like slaves, the employer should GO TO JAIL! I'd obviously never do it, but seriously felt like taking a baseball bat down to some of the employer's houses.

They will be shut down and stopped, and charged if deserved. But the wheels of justice move slowly sometimes, and the TFW's are in a vulnerable position, and often don't complain for fear they will be the ones facing consequences.

Not that it makes it much better, but the stories about how other countries treat Foreign Workers are chilling, making Dickens read like Dr Seuss.

IanO
23-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Being a corner worker for the INDY since it has come to Edmonton...

- very well run
- great people from all over north america
- decent food
- great 'cool downs'
- best seats in the house

Bluestreak
23-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I volunteered to help with the picnic for Temporary Foreign Workers held last Saturday afternoon by Catholic Social Services. I was supposed to be there for them. Instead, they went out of their way to make me feel like I was their guest, and if I'd eaten all of the food offered to me, I'd pop.

What a great bunch of people. And some heartwrenching stories. Most were treated well here, I believe, but there are still some Canadians (in many cases immigrants themselves) who clearly believe they can treat people like slaves. Literally.

I understand we have challenges regarding the resources required to monitor the system better, but if an employer is clearly hiring TFW's because Canadians, rightly, refuse to be treated like slaves, the employer should GO TO JAIL! I'd obviously never do it, but seriously felt like taking a baseball bat down to some of the employer's houses.

They will be shut down and stopped, and charged if deserved. But the wheels of justice move slowly sometimes, and the TFW's are in a vulnerable position, and often don't complain for fear they will be the ones facing consequences.

Not that it makes it much better, but the stories about how other countries treat Foreign Workers are chilling, making Dickens read like Dr Seuss.

Jimbo, I was volunteering at that picnic as well. I guess you could say I have a soft spot for TFW's.

Unfortunately, regardless of all the documentation they sign and how much we lay out the rules, employers will do their best to get away with it, and much of that involves misinforming TFW's because many of them do not know or understand the rules when they arrive.

I've been volunteering off and on with TFW's. Coming from a family which worked so very hard to make it in Canada, I feel as though I am blessed and somewhat lucky. Giving back and doing what I can to accommodate TFW's and let them know there are people out there to help them is the least I can do.

IanO
23-07-2009, 10:13 AM
^and that you do Clem, be very proud of your efforts.