PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer Opportunity

hilaryd
20-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Homeward Trust Edmontonís Eighth Homeless Count

EDMONTON - Homeward Trust Edmonton is asking for adult volunteers to help with a count of homeless persons on Tuesday, October 21, 2008.

These counts provide information regarding our overall homeless population that organizations, agencies, and governments can use to determine best solutions for aiding the homeless and eventually ending homelessness.

Approximately 200 volunteers are needed to conduct the count. Volunteers will be asked to commit 2-3 hours during the day or evening of Tuesday, October 21, 2008. Volunteers are needed to work at drop-in centres, libraries, temporary employment agencies, and bottle depots, and others are needed to participate in the street count in various areas of the city. Volunteers will work in teams at all times.

A Volunteer Orientation Session will be held from 5:00 Ė 7:30 on Tuesday, October 14, 2008, at the Stanley A. Milner Library theatre. A light supper will be provided and volunteers will receive all information necessary to complete their activities on the day of the count. Each volunteer will be asked to sign a waiver of liability form.

Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Wendy Myshak at 780.944.5697, or by email at [email protected], by Friday, October 10, 2008.

LindseyT
20-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Why don't the homeless do it? Are they that busy?

etownboarder
20-08-2008, 11:45 PM

Sorry Lindsay, but that was really inappropriate. I personally can't stand panhandlers either, but your attitude really stinks sometimes. Grow up!!!

DebraW
20-08-2008, 11:51 PM
I cannot help out as I have prior commitments but I will pass this information on through my contacts.

Good luck.

Jeff
21-08-2008, 06:22 AM
real faces... real people... real world

http://i33.tinypic.com/bfj3mo.jpg

LindseyT
21-08-2008, 08:07 AM

Sorry Lindsay, but that was really inappropriate. I personally can't stand panhandlers either, but your attitude really stinks sometimes. Grow up!!!

It's a fair question.

If this really is a way to "eventually end homelessness", as the poster claimed, shouldn't these people be motivated enough to lay off the bottle for a day and help themselves?

If they don't care, I'm not going to. And given our recent shortage of volunteers topic, it's unfortunate they are burning up 200 of a limited resource in the process.

etownboarder
21-08-2008, 09:57 AM
If the people on the street were going to do it, they wouldn't be asking for volunteers. ;)

hilaryd
21-08-2008, 10:28 AM
LindseyT, Iím sure itís very easy for you to pass judgment and generalizations. Just like itís very easy for me to pass judgment on you, and assume that by the complete lack of humanity and intelligence coming from your two posts, you must be a giant troll.

Seriously, I know that itís easier to just assume that they can easily help themselves but thatís not always the case. I thought that people had finally figured out that not all the homeless are homeless by choice. Maybe the smart ones haveÖ

I was simply passing on the message that vounteers were needed. If youíre not interested in volunteering, why you donít go make smart-*** comments on another board?

etownboarder
21-08-2008, 10:30 AM
LindseyT, Iím sure itís very easy for you to pass judgment and generalizations. Just like itís very easy for me to pass judgment on you, and assume that by the complete lack of humanity and intelligence coming from your two posts, you must be a giant troll.

Seriously, I know that itís easier to just assume that they can easily help themselves but thatís not always the case. I thought that people had finally figured out that not all the homeless are homeless by choice. Maybe the smart ones haveÖ

I was simply passing on the message that vounteers were needed. If youíre not interested in volunteering, why you donít go make smart-*** comments on another board?

Cheers hilaryd... I like you :)

kcantor
21-08-2008, 10:34 AM

It's a fair question.

If this really is a way to "eventually end homelessness", as the poster claimed, shouldn't these people be motivated enough to lay off the bottle for a day and help themselves?

If they don't care, I'm not going to. And given our recent shortage of volunteers topic, it's unfortunate they are burning up 200 of a limited resource in the process.
no it's not a fair question lindseyt. if it was, you would have no teachers and could earn all of your degrees on your own because, after all, you would only have to be motivated enough to learn by yourself. much of the issue is that - for whatever reason - they are members of our society that do not have the skills to do what you demand of them. i don't have any magic answers to a complex issue but just telling them to "get motivated" isn't it - just as passing on spare change isn't it either. and we also have to get past the individuals - without ignoring them or their present circumstances - and try to identify and stop the cycles that put them in those circumstances. now go back to your summer reading list...

LindseyT
23-08-2008, 10:10 AM

I'm not expecting these whinos to get a doctorate, just show some desire to help themselves. There is no way these people are completely incapable of doing something like this. If we didn't have such suckers relieving them of all responsibility would there be anybody to count? Perhaps we should wait until January when they have more motivation?

Out of curiosity, did anybody even ask the bums to help?

Surely the ones who push carts around all day with what appears to be some sort of motivation seem like a good place to start. Or do the organizations who run this type of thing get some sort of perverse pleasure out of having some sort of moral high ground or feed off dependance?

etownboarder
23-08-2008, 01:42 PM
LindsayT... you continue to surprise me with your blatant ignorance. I want to call you so many things right now, but somehow I think I would be banned from C2E.