PDA

View Full Version : Statues in Edmonton

Edmcowboy11
29-08-2006, 10:11 PM
I've been sitting on here going through all the forum threads and I got to thinking. One bit of artwork in Edmonton and in most cities that generally get forgotten but are important art non the less are statues. What I'm refering to are the statues that are on permanant display in public areas, parks, etc...(and no not one that some bought at Home Depot and put on their lawn). I did a quick search of statues in Edmonton on a search engine and found very little information.

So here we go. Here is my list of statues, (ones that I know of), located in the city of Edmonton. As I find more I will list them and post pics. As well as I get more details as to when the statue was erected and who made it, I'll try to keep that in the list too. Oh yeah, where it is too, lol.

Wayne Gretzky - Rexall Place
Winston Churchill - Churchill Square
Ezio Ferrone - Ezio Ferrone Park
Whale Statue - West Edmonton Mall
Dove of Peace - Gallagher Park
Fire Fighters - 83 Ave, next to Walterdale Playhouse.

That's it so far, ok my list sucks but maybe I can get some help.

Sonic Death Monkey
29-08-2006, 11:11 PM
What about the construction worker eating lunch on the park bench? That's somewhere in Churchill Square. There's also a couple of hidden statues around City Hall.

I agree that more statues are needed, depicting those from the early explorers to important city figures to war heroes. They need to be placed around City Hall, Churchill Square, river valley parks, and the Legislature.

Spencer
30-08-2006, 07:45 AM
There are the oil field workers in WEM by the east food court.

Edmcowboy11
01-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Here are a couple more I confirmed today

- Ghandi Bust, behind the Stanley Milner Library
- Robert Burns Statue in the park just outside the Hotel Macdonald

24karat
05-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Grant Notley in the park at LeMarchand Mansion
Frank Spinelli in Little Italy in John Cabotto Park

RichardS
05-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Nellie McClung bust on Victoria Promenade....there is another but I cannot remember the name right now...

Matthew McCauley bust in TELUS Plaza.

onishenko
06-01-2007, 02:44 PM
What a sad list. We need more...

ASIDE: I wonder if they'd move the Gretzkey statue downtown when/if the new arena gets built?

nzuk
07-01-2007, 01:50 PM
theres one of a family outside the museum (you can see as you drive by) a horse and a bull (by joeys on jasper)and for indoor statues theres a couple in millwoods town centre (cowboy on horse, prairie setttling family)

onishenko
07-01-2007, 06:26 PM
There are a couple more infront of the museum (south side) as well that I can remember now. (not sure what they are)

Sonic Death Monkey
07-01-2007, 09:56 PM
ASIDE: I wonder if they'd move the Gretzkey statue downtown when/if the new arena gets built?
Why wouldn't they? If the new downtown arena includes a sports museum then moving the Wayne statue in front of it is a no-brainer.

24karat
18-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Statuary helps make a city unique. I've just returned from Ottawa where I visited many statues. I think it's time for Edmontonians to consider funding a statue to commemorate the military who've given their lives in the tour of duty. After all, Edmonton is a military city.

Sonic Death Monkey
18-05-2010, 04:50 PM
I'd like to see a bronze statue version of this former Edmontonian c/w deLorean:

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/back-to-the-future.jpg

andy8244
18-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Statuary helps make a city unique. I've just returned from Ottawa where I visited many statues. I think it's time for Edmontonians to consider funding a statue to commemorate the military who've given their lives in the tour of duty. After all, Edmonton is a military city.

Maybe our time and effort would be better spent focusing on resolving the conflicts that make such hollow gestures necessary?

Gemini
18-05-2010, 08:58 PM
There a statues in Griesbach.
I think it's soldiers on horses.
Very nice they are to.

Thomas Hinderks
18-05-2010, 09:22 PM
I think the idea of statues dedicated to military figures is a good one as there are many deserving Edmontonians

Alex Decoteau first springs to mind: http://www.epl.ca/edmontonacitycalledhome/EPLEdmontonCityCalledRememberTitlesSingle.cfm?type =story&id=251
Olympic Athlete, Canada's first Aboriginal Police Officer with Edmonton City Police , WW1 Soldier KIA serving at Passchendaele.

Russ Bannock:
http://www.abheritage.ca/aviation/people/ww2_russel_bannock.html
http://www.acesofww2.com/Canada/aces/bannock.htm

At one time know as the Savior of London, I read somewhere there is a statue of Bannock in London England, why not Edmonton.

And there are many others from the Loyal Edmonton Regiment through our Armed Forces members of today, all deserving.

Tom

Gemini
18-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Russell Bannockhttp://www.cahf.ca/Members%20and%20Belt%20of%20Orion/members/images/mp103.jpg]November 1, 1919
Birth Place: Edmonton, Alberta
Year Inducted: 1983
Awards: DSO, DFC
"His inspiring leadership as an instructor and fighter pilot in World War Two, his unusual skills as a test pilot, and his corporate business leadership have all been of outstanding benefit to Canadian aviation.

Russell Bannock obtained his private pilot's license in 1938 and his commercial pilot's license the following year. In 1940 he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force and was posted overseas in 1944 in Shropshire, England. Bannock was mostly involved in flying the de Havilland Mosquito on intruder missions over Europe. He scored many of his victories as a night fighter pilot and became known as the "Saviour of London" as a result of his success. He later went on to become a test pilot for de Havilland where he test flew the Beaver prototype - the first aircraft designed for short take-off and landing (STOL). In 1975, he was promoted to president and chief executive officer of de Havilland Aircraft Co. where he proved to be successful in selling the Beaver to the United States military, above all U.S. domestic aircraft.

Yes, it would be nice if he did have a statue in his honour.
Maybe when they start developing the airport lands they will make a place for him.

Thomas Hinderks
19-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the thought Gemini

I find it embarrassing that he is recognized across the ocean and in other places across Canada but nothing in his home town.

Go figure

Tom

abaka
19-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Edmonton has some very neat statues no one ever notices.

Check out the Merchant, the TraderAndIndian, and the WorkingMan. All within 150 metres of that awful Milner Library entrance you don't want to be caught dead at... If you like the malls, there's the oil-rig in WEM (perfect look c. 1980. No-one dresses and cuts their hair that way any more), and the "shoar ain't the town it used to be" backwoodsman in Eaton Centre.

Or, if you prefer statues of real people, and don't want to look at that war criminal Churchill ;), that sell-out Gretzky ;), or the poor martyred policeman Faraone (here I'm serious) all day long, check out Emily Murphy in her own park, and the group along 100 Avenue between 116 and 124. Grant Notley, and a whole bunch of others.

The one thing I am DEAD SET against is more military propaganda. Enough, enough, enough! Killing people overseas has nothing to do with building the city.

Thomas Hinderks
19-05-2010, 12:03 PM
abaka

did you look at the links on the individuals I gave as examples?

IHaggis
23-05-2010, 07:39 PM
What about a statue of Wolverine? him and Sabertooth were both born in Edmonton at the University Hospital in a couple of the Marvel Universes that they inhabit. you could do a statue with them fighting!
awesome!