PDA

View Full Version : Relocating to Edmonton

cdarch
02-04-2008, 08:27 PM
We are a young family relocating to Edmonton from the East Coast-job transfer. We will make the move in July after school finishes for our kids. We are wondering if anyone has any advise on good elementary schools? We were looking at the Sherwood Park area or even as far Beaumont? We are planning on renting a house for the first bit and we want to be in a good school district. Any advise?

LindseyT
02-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I worked in Beaumont most of last summer and you'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to live there.

local kids had nothing better to do than break windows on construction equipment.

Honestly, that place has like two restuarants, a liquor store and a walmart.

There's watered down boring suburban sprawl and then there's Beaumont.

GreenSPACE
02-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Beaumont has gotta be the biggest dump in the world. And Sherwood Park is not that far behind, unless you plan to work close to home I suppose.

Commuting is bad for the environment lol

Ins
02-04-2008, 10:03 PM
We are a young family relocating to Edmonton from the East Coast-job transfer. We will make the move in July after school finishes for our kids. We are wondering if anyone has any advise on good elementary schools? We were looking at the Sherwood Park area or even as far Beaumont? We are planning on renting a house for the first bit and we want to be in a good school district. Any advise?

I can't speak about Beaumont but Sherwood Park is a great place for families. We were in the same boat as you three years ago (moving from Ontario) and have been very happy with our decision. What Sherwood Park does not have is excitement which is part of the reason many people on this board are so negative. There's nothing in the Park for them at there stage of life. Send me a private message and I can try to answer your questions as best I can.

sweetcrude
02-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I worked in Beaumont most of last summer and you'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to live there.

local kids had nothing better to do than break windows on construction equipment.

While I understand the sprawl comment, I still don't feel as though you tried very hard in giving Beaumont much of a chance. You say you "worked" there. I'm supposing that would have been during the day in the middle of summer. It's a bedroom community. What are you really expecting? I wouldn't expect the same things going on in Beaumont as I would in Edmonton, but let's at least be reasonable in the comparisons.

I know your flavor of commentary can be incendiary, but if someone has come on here asking for advice, shouldn't we offer some rather than go on about Beaumont only having "like two restaurants, a liquor store and a walmart"? You know as well as I do that you've exaggerated and I don't think it's fair to Beaumont or to cdarch. The question was legitimate, let's answer it shall we?

Beaumont has gotta be the biggest dump in the world. And Sherwood Park is not that far behind, unless you plan to work close to home I suppose.

Commuting is bad for the environment lol

...and the rhetoric continues...

Frankly, I think the two comments above do not do either municipality justice. At all. "Biggest dump in the world"? Hmm, let me think that one over. Well, I didn't think very long. The lies, the lies...

OK, here's my take on Beaumont and Sherwood Park. If you are in need of superior access to Edmonton, choose Sherwood Park. With the increasing population in Beaumont, 50th St (main road into Edmonton) has gotten interesting to drive. The posted speed limit is almost always ignored and, come winter, the road can be treacherous. I believe access into Edmonton has changed somewhat recently with neighborhoods extending south to Hwy 625 and/or alternate secondary roads being improved.

Sherwood Park enjoys being right next to Edmonton. I'd say the drive were 5 minutes, but it may even be shorter than that. It's downwind of the refineries in Edmonton, if that matters to you.

As for school district advice, I'm not sure I can offer too much other than to say that I'm a product of the school system in Leduc County of which Beaumont is a part (I think). If French immersion is important, Beaumont is probably the place to be. Other than that, I don't really think there would be much difference between the school districts. I could be wrong here, but I think curricula is fairly uniform across public schools and I'd expect both Beaumont and Sherwood Park not to have any trouble finding teachers.

LindseyT
02-04-2008, 10:45 PM

While I understand the sprawl comment, I still don't feel as though you tried very hard in giving Beaumont much of a chance. You say you "worked" there. I'm supposing that would have been during the day in the middle of summer. It's a bedroom community. What are you really expecting? I wouldn't expect the same things going on in Beaumont as I would in Edmonton, but let's at least be reasonable in the comparisons.

I know your flavor of commentary can be incendiary, but if someone has come on here asking for advice, shouldn't we offer some rather than go on about Beaumont only having "like two restaurants, a liquor store and a walmart"? You know as well as I do that you've exaggerated and I don't think it's fair to Beaumont or to cdarch. The question was legitimate, let's answer it shall we?

I grew up in small town Newfoundland. I'll admit that it was fun. But Beaumont is the worst of both worlds. Zero services and zero small town fun. I arrived there before people most woke up, left after most got home and drove all over daily....I failed to see one redeeming quality besides the 1.5 hours daily residents didn't have to spend in Beaumont because they had to to commute.

I can't begin to explain the amount of trouble/vandalism local kids got into. Some really twisted stuff too. That kind of stuff happens all over, but I have never seen it happen as much as it did there.

It's in a totally different league than Sherwood Park.

b_happy
02-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi there:)
I need as much info as possible regarding Edmonton.:shock:
My family and I are moving from Ontario, Hamilton to Edmonton. My husband is planning to get job with oil companies he is a welder. We are planning our move 2nd part of the year, and it is little bit scary. So please anybody with info, send it my way I would greatly appreciate. First and most of all we are planning to rent, listing of good areas nice neighborhoods, and good buildings are something I really need for starters, then schools, elementary, and high (public), as well we are looking for area with good access to family entertainment, recreation, shopping and so on, and last but not the least crime rate. Drugs, drunks, hookers are given but what about hard core crime?
Thank you all so very much in advance.
:D

Kevin_Foster
03-04-2008, 10:14 AM
I'd choose neighborhoods in Edmonton before Beaumont.

Then, if that's not an option - St. Albert is the coolest suburb :)

Jimbo
03-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi there:)
I need as much info as possible regarding Edmonton.:shock:
My family and I are moving from Ontario, Hamilton to Edmonton. My husband is planning to get job with oil companies he is a welder. We are planning our move 2nd part of the year, and it is little bit scary. So please anybody with info, send it my way I would greatly appreciate. First and most of all we are planning to rent, listing of good areas nice neighborhoods, and good buildings are something I really need for starters, then schools, elementary, and high (public), as well we are looking for area with good access to family entertainment, recreation, shopping and so on, and last but not the least crime rate. Drugs, drunks, hookers are given but what about hard core crime?
Thank you all so very much in advance.
:D

For rental, I really like the area around Westmount Mall, especially North Glenora. Fairly quiet, good schools, a good mall (with a Safeway), medical/dental services, lots of transit, quick drive to downtown, etc. Some houses for rent. No drunks or hookers I've ever seen. As for drunks, I'd hate to go around pointing fingers.

If you're considering an apartment, you may want to look in the central Oliver district. It's close to downtown, lots of amenities, and schools. It is very heavily populated though.

RichardS
03-04-2008, 12:36 PM

It really depends on what you want. Where are you working (location)? that would help.

Edmonton Public Schools is recognized as one of the best public school systems in the nation, and in North America. The suburban school systems are a lot like Edmonton's, so you can get a good education pretty much anywhere.

There are very few places in Metro Edmonton that I would not recommend. I've said this before, and I will say it again, Sherwood Park, Millwoods, Callingwood, Spruce Grove, etc, are all really the same thing. Make proximity to work your first priority. If you crave the picket fence feel, anywhere outside the inner ring road (170th street in the west, yellowhead trail in the north, 75ht street in the east, and Whitemud Drive in the south) is where you should look.

IanO
03-04-2008, 12:42 PM
everyone moving here needs to check out:

www.movetoedmonton.com

www.edmonton.ca

www.edmonton.com

they will give you much of the info you need...best of luck!

cdarch
03-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks for your comments everyone. Sherwood Park is definitely much closer to where I work. Are there any schools that are better/worse than others? I see a lot of hype on Glen Allan Elementary...any experience?

e909
03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Both Beaumont and Sherwood Park are nice communities. The schools across Edmonton are all generally excellent, so it really depends where you live and how far you want to commute.

This is probably the wrong place to ask which suburban area in Edmonton is best to live in, unfortunately.

cdarch
03-04-2008, 07:37 PM

So it was pretty bad? I thought a smaller town may make our transition a bit easier. The commute does not sound great to me.

cdarch
03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Both Beaumont and Sherwood Park are nice communities. The schools across Edmonton are all generally excellent, so it really depends where you live and how far you want to commute.

This is probably the wrong place to ask which suburban area in Edmonton is best to live in, unfortunately.
I am really interested in the schools. Once I have a few elementary schools that I am interested in I will arrange visits and then look for houses in those school districts. My daughter will be in Grade 1 so I want the transition to be a smooth one.

Can anyone tell me how the school cutoff dates work in Alberta? My son would not be eligible for Kindergarten in Nova Scotia until Sept 2010, but since his birthday is before Feb 28th, he is eligible in Sept 2009? Is there one year of Kindergarten or a Junior and Senior kindergarten? In NS, we have Primary which is full days but you must be turning 5 in the calendar year that school begins.

e909
03-04-2008, 07:56 PM

I am really interested in the schools. Once I have a few elementary schools that I am interested in I will arrange visits and then look for houses in those school districts. My daughter will be in Grade 1 so I want the transition to be a smooth one.

Can anyone tell me how the school cutoff dates work in Alberta? My son would not be eligible for Kindergarten in Nova Scotia until Sept 2010, but since his birthday is before Feb 28th, he is eligible in Sept 2009? Is there one year of Kindergarten or a Junior and Senior kindergarten? In NS, we have Primary which is full days but you must be turning 5 in the calendar year that school begins.
Do you want your kids enrolled in a public or catholic school?

Kindergarten is one year, with half days (they may be changing this).

Here's the edmonton public school board's website, which has the answers to your questions, http://www.epsb.ca/

With that aside, I really recommend living in the city itself. There are beautiful parts of mill woods, riverbend, macewan, etc that all offer "suburban" living with great access to Edmonton's biggest asset, the rivery valley.

With that said, if you had your mind on Sherwood Park, it's best to consult the County website:
http://www.strathcona.ab.ca/Strathcona/default.htm

Strathcona County (which includes Sherwood Park) is covered by the Elk Island Public School Board, which you can find info here
http://www.eips.ca/index.php

Caesar555
03-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I went to elementary and junior high school in Beaumont. One of its strengths is the French immersion program. Beaumont was originally a French Canadian community and a lot of French families still live in the area. I loved growing up there, good hockey and soccer programs too.
I went to High School in Ardrossan, not far from Sherwood Park. I don't mind the Park, but it is more of a city type environment, but I believe its schools are pretty good. Though, probably not as strong in the immersion area.

LindseyT
04-04-2008, 01:34 AM

So it was pretty bad? I thought a smaller town may make our transition a bit easier. The commute does not sound great to me.

it is as sterile as it comes. Living in some cul-de-sac in Beaumont is not much different than in living in a cul-de-sac in Blue Quill, Riverbend or Lewis Estates, other than the fact that you are that much further from anything remotely interesting and trying to maintain some Disneyland type faux connection to it's french roots.

LindseyT
04-04-2008, 01:45 AM
What exactly do you want?

Do you want to be close to work?
Do you want to be in an area where when your kids enter high school you won't have to play cheauffer and waste a half an hour driving them anywhere?
Do you want to be close to the river valley?
Do you want to live in an area surrounded by construction?

raz0469
04-04-2008, 10:17 AM
This is my personal opinion, but I think it has merit: don't worry about what school your kids will end up in. Overall all the schools in Edmonton and the surrounding area are quite good. Some specialize in certain aspects such as athletics or academics or whatever, but overall your kids will get a great education at virtually any of them.

Ins
04-04-2008, 10:57 AM
it is as sterile as it comes. Living in some cul-de-sac in Beaumont is not much different than in living in a cul-de-sac in Blue Quill, Riverbend or Lewis Estates, other than the fact that you are that much further from anything remotely interesting and trying to maintain some Disneyland type faux connection to it's french roots.

It is the opinion of many people on these boards that the smaller municipalities surrounding Edmonton have little to offer as compared to the residential communities within Edmonton. Keep in mind that this opinion is not universally shared and that many of these posters are not at the same stage of life (ie. young families) that you may be at.

I'm not advocating to live in Beaumont, St. Albert, Sherwood Park or Edmonton but just a comment on what you've been reading.

RichardS
04-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks for your comments everyone. Sherwood Park is definitely much closer to where I work. Are there any schools that are better/worse than others? I see a lot of hype on Glen Allan Elementary...any experience?

All schools around are what you make of them, and how active you want to be within. I know that sounds generalist, but really, it is the truth.

Glen Allan has a great reputation from what I gather. However, like any school, it is a reflection of the teachers and the parental community. Expect to be heavily involved...that should go without saying.

RichardS
04-04-2008, 07:40 PM
It is the opinion of many people on these boards that the smaller municipalities surrounding Edmonton have little to offer as compared to the residential communities within Edmonton. Keep in mind that this opinion is not universally shared and that many of these posters are not at the same stage of life (ie. young families) that you may be at.

Not little to offer, but you are probably more correct on the life stage of certain posters here. Many are youngish and don't yet have children. Others, like myself, are a little older professionals who are at various stages of a child or childless life.

My only change is to your statement Ins is that the residential communities within Edmonton are really NO DIFFERENT than those outside Edmonton. They pretty much offer the exact same thing - a decent community that is what you make of it. So, given that cdarch has a decent proximity to Sherwood Park for work, then the Park it is.

I do echo one thing Ins, cdarch...the suburbs are just that, suburbs. More central areas of Edmonton are not developing new homes, and the "high density" projects that are currently online are not really family oriented. That should change over the next 3-5 years, but for your young family and if you want a lawn, the burbs are it.

IKAN104
05-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Regarding the schools, as someone else already said, start with the www.epsb.ca website and see the programs the different schools offer. Yes, the schools are generally speaking all good but they are not all the same.

In Edmonton schools compete for students. Which means you don't have to go to the school in your neighbourhood (although neighbourhood kids do get first dibs) and it also means that all the schools try to offer something a little different.

For example, we take our kids to an elementary school that is approximately a 15 minute drive every morning because they offer a Christian education (publically funded). It's called the Logos program. Other schools offer language programs like Mandarin, others focus on athletics, etc, etc.

When you get into the Junior and Senior high school programs you will see even more pronounced differences between the various schools as they focus on specific types of programs in order to attract students.

moahunter
05-04-2008, 09:54 AM
If you want something objective, look at school academic rankings. You can compile the results, and rate different schools and neighborhoods, based on their performance in standard tests that all students sit. One of the interesting things is how sometimes the "best" schools are not in what are perceived to be the "best" neighborhoods, and vice versa regarding the worst schools. Worth considering anyway - I know we had a lot of fun comparing our kids school rankings at my work, good fodder for discussion (although of course, not so good if your school underperforms:-)

http://www.epsb.ca/parents/achvtest.shtml

I think this is on the Provincial web site somewhere to:

http://www.education.gov.ab.ca/k_12/testing/default.asp