PDA

View Full Version : On-line Voting

dwells
16-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Alberta's 'rotten' politics

1. Allow online voting
We've now had at least a couple of generations who are accustomed to doing everything via the internet, may it be shopping or filing tax returns or cruising for a date. Why exactly can't political elections move into the 21st Century? What's the problem here?
I think that is a great suggestion and I too would like to know why it can't be done.For one thing, there is no paper trail. How do you do a recount? For another, it's too easy to accuse someone of tampering with the software. Such an accusation would be difficult to disprove. Third, anonymity on the internet is a myth. Are these enough reasons? I have more...

votingforchange
16-03-2008, 06:33 PM
voting on the net would be a bad idea would leave us vulnerable to other country's and/or special interest groups.There is a Good documentary out "Hacking Democracy" you should watch.

raz0469
16-03-2008, 08:25 PM
For one thing, there is no paper trail. How do you do a recount? For another, it's too easy to accuse someone of tampering with the software. Such an accusation would be difficult to disprove. Third, anonymity on the internet is a myth. Are these enough reasons? I have more...

Many of those arguments could have been used against doing online-banking in the early 90's. Yet I haven't heard of any massive catastrophe's due to online banking. There's no question that there's a lot of issues to resolve and overcome, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. And in fact a lot of your arguments apply to a paper balloting system as well, if it's not designed properly or doesn't have enough oversight.

One thing's for sure though: I wouldn't want Diebold involved :D.

Denizen
16-03-2008, 08:45 PM
I had not considered the paper trail dwells, or some of the other issues raised by votingforchange. However I am not a computer expert and would leave it to those who could standardize a safe and secure on-line voting system. Nothing is impossible and perhaps some internet surfing may determine it is currently in process.

votingforchange
16-03-2008, 08:58 PM
I was thinking. What if you were required to Vote provincial and federal when you file your taxes?

I know there would be problems within time frames of elections, but should the electoral process collaborate voting times with tax periods it could work. This would also level the playing field for all party's, as elections would not be held at favorable times for no one party.

just a thought,.

Sonic Death Monkey
16-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Why the hell is this a separate topic from the poll I posted? :rolleyes:

As I said in that other topic - if we can do our banking, redeem our Canada Saving Bonds and file our tax returns on the web then I see no reason why we can't vote online.

Terry
16-03-2008, 09:59 PM
I like the idea. It's not perfect, but what is. I do worry about abuse of it and the potential problem that could happen if the on-line voting site goes down. If online voting happens then all those that are allowed to vote should get distinct serial numbers or something that says who they are (ie S.I.N)

Denizen
16-03-2008, 09:59 PM

As I said in that other topic - if we can do our banking, redeem our Canada Saving Bonds and file our tax returns on the web then I see no reason why we can't vote online.

Wondered about that as well. :confused:

Yep, you got it..........:)

Denizen
16-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I was thinking. What if you were required to Vote provincial and federal when you file your taxes?

I know there would be problems within time frames of elections, but should the electoral process collaborate voting times with tax periods it could work. This would also level the playing field for all party's, as elections would not be held at favorable times for no one party.

just a thought,.

Think you are onto something here. Interesting thought you have.....

dwells
16-03-2008, 10:38 PM

That thread is about increasing voter turnout. That is an important issue and I did not want to derail that topic with focus on technology.

lux
16-03-2008, 10:53 PM
I think filing taxes should be a separate activity from voting. People can have emotional reactions to their tax situation that they would distance themselves from after a period of thoughtful reflection.

That emotional reaction to a tax bill or tax refund would leave people open to manipulation at voting time, where if the voting was 6 months later, they would still pay attention to their taxes, but other issues would be in perspective as well.

Sonic Death Monkey
16-03-2008, 11:03 PM

That thread is about increasing voter turnout. That is an important issue and I did not want to derail that topic with focus on technology.

Fair enough.

Sonic Death Monkey
16-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I like the idea. It's not perfect, but what is. I do worry about abuse of it and the potential problem that could happen if the on-line voting site goes down. If online voting happens then all those that are allowed to vote should get distinct serial numbers or something that says who they are (ie S.I.N)

That's how it works with the online tax returns. Besides providing the SIN, you are snail-mailed an access code for using NETFILE.

dwells
16-03-2008, 11:25 PM

That's how it works with the online tax returns. Besides providing the SIN, you are snail-mailed an access code for using NETFILE.Then there is the matter of the secret ballot... With an on-line tax return you don't want anonymity.

Sonic Death Monkey
16-03-2008, 11:30 PM
If I vote in a poll on C2E, can anyone see how I voted? Mods? Admins?

raz0469
17-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Everything you do on the net can be traced back to you as an individual, or at the very least to your household/router. Unless you're going to some fairly extensive lengths to go through proxies and mask your IP address.

I know that's not what you asked, though. Yes mods can most likely see how you voted, and in fact with some message boards everyone can see how you voted. Not sure how it's been set up here. Looks like they have that feature turned off.

dwells
17-03-2008, 08:02 PM
However I am not a computer expert and would leave it to those who could standardize a safe and secure on-line voting system. Nothing is impossible and perhaps some internet surfing may determine it is currently in process.I don't see on-line voting in our future. The opportunity for abuse is too great. At this time we can't even offer up-to-date voters lists.

But let's go one step at a time. It would be relatively simple to have every polling station hooked to the internet. A ballot for that voter's riding could be printed on the spot and the name checked off the list. This would enable voters to vote at any polling station and adequate security could be built into that portion of the system.

Medwards
17-03-2008, 08:48 PM
If I vote in a poll on C2E, can anyone see how I voted? Mods? Admins?
you have the option with vbullentin when making your poll to make votes visibile to other users or not.

At my mod level, I can't see who votes for what, unless you choose to show it to all others. I'm sure at a higher level (admin or etc) you may have this ability though...