PDA

View Full Version : New Forum

RichardS
15-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Hello all!

The upgraded software is ready to go. We're finalizing the transition plan for this weekend.

Additionally, the election forum will come up under the new software as well. We've waited to launch this as party politics need better moderation tools, which we now have.

There will be a member alert for the transition plan forthcoming. This transition WILL require a forum outage - more than likely Saturday night.

You won't see much in terms of fourm topic changes yet, most of us have been too swamped in our real jobs to do much more than get the code up and running. Topic changes and new requests will come late this quarter.

So, it's coming!

Jeff
15-02-2008, 10:37 AM
yabut what about the important stuff like avatars and being able to embed videos? :-D

vbulletin?

microbus
15-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Did you guys decide to go with phpBB3 or something else?
I'm using phpBB3 now, and it comes with so many tools, I'm still trying to figure them out :)

RichardS
15-02-2008, 11:26 AM
We chose and paid for vbulletin. Something about vendor support is an attractive thing...

RichardS
15-02-2008, 11:27 AM
yabut what about the important stuff like avatars and being able to embed videos? :-D

That depends on how we decide to roll that out. The technology is there to do so, but bandwidth and storage cost $$$, and this still remains a free site.

Jeff
15-02-2008, 11:56 AM

That depends on how we decide to roll that out. The technology is there to do so, but bandwidth and storage cost $$$, and this still remains a free site.

vbulletin - good choice

so long as the avatars or embedded videos aren't actually stored on your site they won't affect bandwidth... linking to them on other sites does not increase your sites bandwidth. (google will show) there's a lot of info on this very point as it affects discussion boards...

RichardS
15-02-2008, 12:09 PM
I know, but there is also the ability to store images and ensure they remain age appropriate. Linking to an avatar can giveus some that, while visually appealing, don't match the all ages layout here... ;)

We'll see how the launch goes. It won't be along wait for the rest of the goodies...

Medwards
15-02-2008, 12:11 PM
embedding youtube videos I think would be a good thing, and easy to accomplish in either vbullentin or php based forums.

Its also good, because the video remains on youtube servers...

Barry N
15-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Good choice of vbulletin. Should look good.

soycd
15-02-2008, 01:42 PM
This transition WILL require a forum outage - more than likely Saturday night.

That's good...as everyone will be glued to the tube watching the Oil trounce the 'nux!

ShermanT
15-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Yep, the ability to do all of those things is great, but other considerations such as additional moderation necessary, and keeping the site look and feel "clean" are prime considerations. I really am not a fan of other boards filled with animated avatars and mile long signatures with massive pictures as "content". I am proud that C2E has a lot of posts filled with relevant discussions without all of the distractions, and would like to try and keep it that way.

We'll see how it all goes after everything is launched. As an aside you might also notice a few rough edges on the site (buttons and such) but we are getting around to them as soon as we can. Hopefully there won't be too many issues.

Blueline
15-02-2008, 04:34 PM
^ Agree with the minimalist side bars, quotes, clips of the entire Britanica etc.
Less is best

psiebold1
18-02-2008, 02:13 AM
I need a third thumb to point up just like the other two.

Denizen
18-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Congratulations to all those involved in the upgrade to the new look forum.