PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on moving to Edmonton

EJfromDC
11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Hello Everyone. I've been doing lots of internet research on our move but still have a whole bunch of questions - any advice you can offer would be much appreciated! My family will be moving to Edmonton from the US for a year starting this summer. My husband will be working at the University of Alberta (I'll be a stay-at-home mom while we're there).

The first thing we need to figure out is where to live. Our first priority is location - in terms of close commuting distance to the UofA (preferably no more than 15 minute drive), proximity to shops, restaurants, gyms, parks, etc. (ideally, I would like to be able to walk to things in nice weather), and safety. If possible, I'd like something in-between the suburban and downtown lifestyles - not so much urban grit that you sacrifice safety and space, but also not too far removed from things (the suburban/residential neighborhoods in our city look like ghost towns during the day when everyone is at work)! A duplex, townhouse, or even a large condo (although it would have to be dog-friendly) would be fine. The second priority is that we either have a yard large enough for our dog to play in or that we have easy access to a nearby park.

The second question is - once we decide on location, how do we actually find a rental property? A furnished place would be best. I've found a number of websites online, but I'm wondering whether there are any renters agents in Edmonton who could help me? I have no idea if I'm hitting all the right places. Also, assuming we can't find a furnished place, do you know of any furniture rental companies?

I'm sure I have many more questions, but those I'll just start with those! Thanks in advance for your help!!!

EdmontonInfo
11-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Move to Edmonton website is very handy.
http://www.movetoedmonton.com/

Areas around the UofA are tought to find depending on the time of year, so the end of April when the university is out things are easier for rentals. Pet friendly places are difficult to find but there are some "stickys" with rental information on this forum.

Belgravia, McKernan, Parkdale are all in close proximity.

Edmonton itself is very dog friendly with many off leash parks, actually with an abudance of parks overall. Dogs are not allowed on school parks though.

Good luck.

lux
11-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Welcome to Edmonton!

Location: some of this depends on budget. There are many beautiful communities near the University of Alberta within the range you mention that are walkable, semi-suburban (or what you could call "established residential city neighbourhoods") safe, dog friendly and so on. Many of these neighbourhoods are centred around the river valley, which also makes them more expensive.

I know you are looking to rent, but a good comparison would be to see what properties are selling for. www.mls.ca has extensive house listings for sale.

If you look at the linked map:
http://www.mls.ca/map.aspx?AreaID=6265
the University is located in the "Southwest" area right where the West, Central, and Southwest regions meet.

Renting, if your husband has a job lined up, he may be able to ask about rental opportunities for faculty or staff which the other faculty may happen to know about. It is worth checking into as well as looking on the open market for rentals.

cara
11-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Hi there!

Looks like you and I switched places, I'm from Edmonton now living in DC. I think you'll love the transition there as much as I've loved the transition here.

Good luck with the move and I'll be happy to answer any questions (i.e. if you're looking to live in an area comparable to a neighborhood in Washington)

All the best and enjoy my hometown...best place on earth as far as I'm concerned!

EJfromDC
12-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks so much for the quick responses! Budget is not a big issue as we're used to paying a premium in DC and we'll be saving on daycare and other expenses while we're there. We'll only be there a year so I'm willing to pay a little more for a good living situation.

Cara - I hope you're enjoying DC! So glad you read my post! What neighborhoods would compare to, say, Glover Park (which we love), Woodley Park, AU, or West End (or any similar areas in NW that are within walking distance of Wisconsin or Connecticut but have townhouses or rowhouses rather than multi-story condos or coops). Thanks in advance!

IanO
12-02-2008, 08:43 AM
i would recommend belgravia or mckernan as well.

-5min to UofA
-LRT nearby
-5-10min to downtown
-5min to the river valley
-5min to whyte avenue (trendy shopping area)

basically single family homes as central as you can more or less get.

also glenora and cloverdale are great areas.

best of luck.

cara
12-02-2008, 10:50 AM
I was actually going to recommend Belgravia and Mckernan as well for their proximity to the university and the shops/restaurants on Whyte Ave. Whyte Ave has great eateries like Glover Park with the charm and indy feel of Adam's Morgan.

Also, Riverside and the riverflats by telus field and kinsmen (if someone knows the exact name of this neighborhood that would help) is also very nice.

For something more residential but still only about a 15/20 minute drive from the university, I would check out Terwilliger. It's become its own self contained community with some high-end shopping and restaurants of its own, but it's more driving and less walking compared to living by the U of A.

The LRT in Edmonton isn't nearly as extensive as the metro in DC but it can be useful for going to sporting events (i.e. hockey games-which I strongly encourage you to experience while you're in town) and for going between the university and downtown.

The river valley that runs through town is the jewel of the city, it's a combination of the Potomac river and Rock Creek Park X 10!!

I really hope you enjoy your time in Edmonton, please feel free to ask me any other questions you may have!

Maria
24-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Help! We are in the same boat. Our family is moving to Edmonton where my husband taught last year only this year we are coming with him. He works at MacEwan. We too have a dog and a ten year old. I would appreciate if anyone could advise me on finding a place with walking to parks, dog parks, and a good public elementary school. We can afford up to 2K a month although that would be stretching it. Also, what do people wear up there to stay warm in -20 farenheit and where do you buy it?

signed,

Mia and Matt Brown,

moving from the U.P. in Michigan.

Jess
24-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Welcome to Edmonton!

All the above are great suggestions - a few areas I might also consider are a little further away from the U, but still within youir 15 min drive requriement. Bonnie Doon - the area closer to Millcreek Ravine is a great area - I actually have a rental property there (unfortunately already rented!) but from there you can walk downtown, to Whyte Ave and easy access to the Ravine Trails and the River Valley - The Faculte St. John (UofA) is also located in the Area and has shuttle service to the Main Campus. Strathern and Ritchie are also great areas.

If you haven't already checked it out... www.rentfaster.ca (http://www.rentfaster.ca) is a great rental site..

Good Luck with your move!!

Jess
24-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Help! We are in the same boat. Our family is moving to Edmonton where my husband taught last year only this year we are coming with him. He works at MacEwan. We too have a dog and a ten year old. I would appreciate if anyone could advise me on finding a place with walking to parks, dog parks, and a good public elementary school. We can afford up to 2K a month although that would be stretching it. Also, what do people wear up there to stay warm in -20 farenheit and where do you buy it?

signed,

Mia and Matt Brown,

moving from the U.P. in Michigan.

Also welcome to Edmonton!

If your Husband works at Grant MacEwan check out areas such as Oliver and Grovsner.... Glenora might be an option as well, but the rents might be a bit high...

...And don't worry - come September the stores will be full of winter clothing... -20 is nothing a parka, toque, mittens and scarf can't handle... Seriously - it's not that bad... we might get a few really cold weeks in Dec/Jan but most people make it out to be like it's -40 all the time...

Good Luck with your Move!

etownboarder
25-07-2008, 10:25 AM
...And don't worry - come September the stores will be full of winter clothing... -20 is nothing a parka, toque, mittens and scarf can't handle... Seriously - it's not that bad... we might get a few really cold weeks in Dec/Jan but most people make it out to be like it's -40 all the time...

And many days, it's just below 0, in the 0 to -10 range. It's definitely not as bad as people make it out to be (except those few brutal weeks as mentioned above).

Blueline
25-07-2008, 03:51 PM
the westmount and north glenora areas offer easy access to the Uof A as well as downtown and shopping AND are still affordable. sort of georgetown distance with far easier driving (Used to live in the DC area)

raz0469
29-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Also, what do people wear up there to stay warm in -20 farenheit and where do you buy it?

lol, if you're from Michigan, I can almost guarantee you will find Edmonton's winters to be nearly the same. The absolute temperature might be lower here, but we don't get nearly the amount of wind or moisture you would be used to.

Maria
24-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Hey again..now we are living in St. Albert and liking it! We spent a month at the Coast Edmonton House which had a gorgeous view of the river. It helped me get to know the city. I really like Edmonton! I have so much to say about it and Canada I was hoping to somehow help promote Canada or Edmonton. Coming from another country I am in tune to what is great here. For starters: FABULOUS murals, unpretentiousness and wool-filled comforters at the department store! And Canadian t.v. is uplifting and funny.

On another note, where might I find spices in bulk? I don't need the Costco quantity nor splastic containers.

Oh, and by the way, my Michigan clothes were fine Monday, it wasn't that cold. I just thought in Canada, which has a little European, I could find a merino wool camisol. Now this sounds pretentious but have you ever tried one? They are soooo warm and you never get cold!

greeat to finally be here in Canada,

Maria

Now I've got to go get our SIN cards in Edmonton.

etownboarder
24-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Almost all grocery stores have bulk foods sections, where they have spices etc in bulk. There are also a few specialty bulk foods stores around the city. Try checking one of them out.

IanO
24-09-2008, 12:57 PM
maria - i really like Club Monaco's Merino wool sweaters that usually come out this time of year.

Sonic Death Monkey
24-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Go to any Indian grocery store in the vicinity of 34th Ave and about 93 St (this is the "Little India" part of town). They'll carry just about every spice on the planet. If you don't want to venture that far, there's a small place on the east side of 109 St and about 87 Ave, just a couple of doors south of Badass Jacks.