PDA

View Full Version : riding the bus!! (nope not transit buses either!)

greydog
13-07-2007, 11:19 PM
I am in the process of gathering stories of the history of bus travel in and around the Edmonton area. I'm not interested at this time in transit history, but I would truly welcome hearing about tales of riding the buses around the province, starting at Edmonton. I know that the dominant bus companies of the 50's and 60's were of course Greyhound, Sunburst and Canadian Coachways.
Any recollections of the Union bus depot would be welcome, as would stories about drivers and wild escapades.

many thanks

DebraW
13-07-2007, 11:23 PM
I have no stories or escapades (wild or otherwise) to relay but I would like to wish you good luck.

Furthermore, I would like to welcome you to C2E! :D

microbus
14-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Union bus depot? Was that in Edmonton?
I remember the old bus depot at 102 st/102 ave, with
Mickey's Coffee Shop in it. And the old fortune-telling weigh scale.
As for travelling on Greyhound, I usually sat in the first seat
behind the front door, especially when riding at night. I found
most drivers liked someone to talk to on occasion.
Back in about 1973, westbound on Hwy 3 towards Pincher Creek,
in the dark, a big owl struck the windshield of the bus on my side.
Scared the daylights out of the driver and me.
Another time, on the milk run from Calgary to Edmonton in the
middle of the night, the fog was so thick that I stood by the front
door at the request of the driver. I could see the shoulder line, but
you couldn't see any further than about 10 feet in front of the bus.
Or coming back from Toronto via Greyhound in 1973 or 1974,
something which I swore I'd never do again. 4 days and 3 nights
was way too long of a trip for me. Flooding all over Manitoba and
Saskatchewan. Approaching Winnipeg from the east, it looked like
the highway went down the middle of a lake. For miles, all you
could see was water with a strip of pavement.
In some small town in Saskatchewan, all the residents were out
sandbagging, and the water was coming up the front steps of the
bus. In Saskatoon we had a late break, and the news said
North Battleford was the worst for flooding. After no sleep from
Toronto until Saskatoon, I finally fell asleep missing the North
Battleford flood. I woke up as we were passing Borden Park
in Edmonton. :shock:

DebraW
14-07-2007, 12:54 AM
^ :shock: 8) ...

greydog
14-07-2007, 09:59 AM
thanks microbus,
these are exactly the types of stories i love to hear about. I spent an awful lot of my childhood at the depot in Edmonton, and I always wanted to be a bus driver. Life dealt me a different set of cards, and I missed my chance to follow my dreams. Now I try to relive my youth by penning stories about the industry. Any and all stories are truly welcome and appreciated.
I don't remember the scale but I do remember always wanting to play the helicopter game inside the big plastic dome. Remember that one where you had to hit the flashing trees and land on certain spots?
I always thought the drivers looked so dignified in their uniforms, and I too always liked to sit right in the front. Some drivers seemed to enjoy visiting with me, while others were quiet, bordering on being cranky. My favorite driver was an older driver who drove to Cold Lake. He always seemed to look out for me, as I was quite young, and often traveled alone. (This was well before the days of worrying about the weirdos) This driver would point out things to me, and invite me to sit with him at the Smoky Lake rest stop.
I also recall the depot had a machine that I think you put in a penny and then you pulled the crank and it spit out a token with the name of the city and date??

Please feel free to tell me more. As I said, I truly welcome the stories.

microbus
14-07-2007, 10:00 AM
hey, he asked :P :lol:

microbus
14-07-2007, 12:26 PM
oh yeah! The old helicopter game! I remember that now :)
And the old coin thing, and also the laminator machine.
I used to play that helicopter game over and over again.
You actually had to avoid the trees, and hit the little metal
plates next to each flashing light.

24karat
14-07-2007, 03:32 PM
The owner of Mickey's was Mickey Conte if that helps.

greydog
14-07-2007, 04:07 PM
this is great guys. please keep it coming!!

greydog
14-07-2007, 04:09 PM
remember in Mickey's how each booth had their own jukebox, and on the lunch counter there were jukeboxes every 3 or 4 stools!!

can anyone remember any of the old drivers?

DebraW
14-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Yes, please this (girl) is enjoying reading the stories too! :D

greydog
14-07-2007, 04:19 PM
I also vividly recall being on the bus to Cold Lake. We stopped in St. Paul, and as we were leaving to turn onto the main drag, a pick-up truck full of kids drove into the passenger side of the bus. I freaked as I was sitting in the front and saw this happen. The kids in the truck took off, but the amazing thing was that the driver (the older fella I mentioned before) was so calm. There was some damage to the side of the bus but nothing serious. The driver drove on till we spotted a Mountie coming towards us. The driver stopped him, and how lucky was this...the stupid kids had stopped up ahead at a car wash. The driver pointed them out, and about an hour later we were again mobile. The amazing thing was that the entire time, the driver stayed so calm. It was things like this that really made me want to be a bus driver.

microbus
14-07-2007, 06:07 PM
I remember the one-way fare from Toronto to Edmonton
was only $65, when I took that trip.

24karat
14-07-2007, 06:50 PM
can anyone remember any of the old drivers?

I knew one Sunburst driver - Trevor Sagert

greydog
14-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Trev Sagert... what can you tell me about him?

24karat
14-07-2007, 08:12 PM
He used to do the run east on Highway 14 - to Wainwright or Provost or somewhere like that I lived in a small town east of Edmonton and I used to take his bus weekly to Edmonton for my music lessons. This would have been in the early fifties. I used to help him tally up his tickets each week as
we headed east to my home. I used to sit on the engine cover, legs extended, with my back to the windshield as I counted and sorted the tickets. One day I was the last remaining passenger on his bus, so he drove me right to my house.

He was a nice guy and we'd have long chats about whatever topic
happened to come up. Last I heard he was retired and living in Jasper Place, but I just checked the phone book and could not find him listed.

greydog
14-07-2007, 08:45 PM
That is so interesting. So you sorting his tickets for him? Where were you coming from? That must have been pretty nice to get door to door service with the ride to your' door!
Thank you for sharing this with me. I must say that I never got dropped off at my door!! hehe
please tell me more

greydog
17-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Where did everyone go??

greydog
28-07-2007, 05:49 PM
hey, was it something i said??

DebraW
28-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Hey greydog,

I think it is just a factor of this being a really busy time in Edmonton. with the Grand Prix and all the other summer festivals going on.

Reposting in this thread was a great thing to do as it brings it back in front of topics.

Cheers,

djgirl

greydog
07-08-2007, 09:48 PM
please come back!!

DebraW
07-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Anyone have some new info on the history of Edmonton bus travel?

Anyone...

greydog
20-08-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm sorry to say that i think the crowd has left us!!

microbus
20-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I told all I could remember about Greyhound...
now if it was history of ETS, I could write a book, or six :lol:

DebraW
20-08-2007, 08:13 PM
I told all I could remember about Greyhound...
now if it was history of ETS, I could write a book, or six :lol:

^ Really!?

microbus
20-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Yeah, like buying 14 tickets for $1.00 on the old N2 Dovercourt.
Or going to a party, getting drunk, and going out to catch the
old N2 in front of Dovercourt Hall. I must have passed out, cuz
I got on the bus a half hour after I should've...
But I was young and foolish then :)
Now I'm old and foolish LOL

DebraW
20-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Yeah, like buying 14 tickets for $1.00 on the old N2 Dovercourt.
Or going to a party, getting drunk, and going out to catch the
old N2 in front of Dovercourt Hall. I must have passed out, cuz
I got on the bus a half hour after I should've...
But I was young and foolish then :)
Now I'm old and foolish LOL

^ When was it the #2 in D'court? I remember the # 22 to downtown (which would have gone past the community hall) and the # 37 to the U of A (might have those reversed but those were the #'s)?

^ The party that you got drunk at in D'court was probably at my husband's house (now our home)...the party's that went on around here were legendary so I am told.

microbus
20-08-2007, 11:06 PM
N2, not 2... back when most routes had the letter/number combo.
The N2 became the 22 back in the mid 70s.
Our place was legendary for parties too, from about 1971 to 1973
or so. Every weekend. :)
But the one I got drunk at that time was in Dovercourt Crescent
about 2 or 3 houses west of the alley that's west of 135 St.
The parties we used to have were at 12359-Dovercourt Ave LOL...
I remember them well...........

greydog
21-08-2007, 04:06 PM
I too recall the old N2 as I grew up in Woodcroft. I remember when they built the terminal at Westmount. At the time it seemed like it was state of the art. Even had a little food kiosk inside. That sadly didn't last long!
I also recall having to wait for the bus there in the winter (coming home from Westmount Junior High, and it was so cold outside that we were crammed inside the terminal like sardines! Oh those were fun times!!
Can anyone remember the the #5 bus that went from Westmount Mall, down Jasper Ave to Northlands? What number was it when they still used the letter and number sequence on the runs??

greydog
21-08-2007, 04:09 PM
I can also remember riding the bus when the fare for kids was .15 and adults were .25
We always thought that we were pretty clever to drop in 2 nickels instead of a nickle and a dime!!
You could buy some quality junk food with that nickel!!

bagould
21-08-2007, 04:19 PM
I can also remember riding the bus when the fare for kids was .15 and adults were .25
We always thought that we were pretty clever to drop in 2 nickels instead of a nickle and a dime!!
You could buy some quality junk food with that nickel!!
Do you remember what time period the 25 cent fare was in effect for? I've always wanted to compare the fare to inflation, but data is sparse.

DebraW
21-08-2007, 04:22 PM
N2, not 2... back when most routes had the letter/number combo.
The N2 became the 22 back in the mid 70s.
Our place was legendary for parties too, from about 1971 to 1973
or so. Every weekend. :)
But the one I got drunk at that time was in Dovercourt Crescent
about 2 or 3 houses west of the alley that's west of 135 St.
The parties we used to have were at 12359-Dovercourt Ave LOL...
I remember them well...........

^ Okay, I didnít know that about having letters on the bus routes

Our place is on 135 St. not far from the berm (which was not there in the 70's) when these parties would have been going on.

It took almost a decade before some of our neighbours would even talk to me and let us just say Halloween is better now that many of the older people have moved away.

(Funny how wild Mazola (?) parties and your husbands roommates doing wheelies on a neighbours yard or same roommate walking out to his bike with no pants on as he had left them on the bike affects people. :lol: )

DebraW
21-08-2007, 04:25 PM
I too recall the old N2 as I grew up in Woodcroft. I remember when they built the terminal at Westmount. At the time it seemed like it was state of the art. Even had a little food kiosk inside. That sadly didn't last long!
I also recall having to wait for the bus there in the winter (coming home from Westmount Junior High, and it was so cold outside that we were crammed inside the terminal like sardines! Oh those were fun times!!
Can anyone remember the the #5 bus that went from Westmount Mall, down Jasper Ave to Northlands? What number was it when they still used the letter and number sequence on the runs??

greydog,

PM me as I have friends who went to Westmount Jr High (including my boy) and many that lived in Woodcroft (or still do) over the last forty decades so I bet we know some people in common!

cheers,

djgirl

microbus
21-08-2007, 07:01 PM
djgirl? forty decades eh? LOL... I knew you were old, but that's
ridiculous :P LOL

greydog, the #5 has been the #5 for at least 40 years.
It used to go from the old Cromdale Loop at 81 st/118 ave,
via its current route to the loop at 124 st/112 ave. Then when
Westmount TC opened, they extended it to there. Then of
course to Northlands when the Coliseum opened.

DebraW
21-08-2007, 07:20 PM
djgirl? forty decades eh? LOL... I knew you were old, but that's
ridiculous :P LOL

greydog, the #5 has been the #5 for at least 40 years.
It used to go from the old Cromdale Loop at 81 st/118 ave,
via its current route to the loop at 124 st/112 ave. Then when
Westmount TC opened, they extended it to there. Then of
course to Northlands when the Coliseum opened.

Ok, not even I am that old! I meant 40 years or four decades. :wink:

In my defense I am really ill today so my proofreading is not as good as normal. :smt100

greydog
27-08-2007, 09:51 PM
PM me as I have friends who went to Westmount Jr High (including my boy) and many that lived in Woodcroft (or still do) over the last forty decades so I bet we know some people in common!

cheers,

djgirl

just curious if you did get my pm?

greydog

DebraW
27-08-2007, 11:23 PM

cheers,

djgirl

just curious if you did get my pm?

greydog

Did get your pm but have major computer problems (as in my main one died) and I have lost a whole heap of stuff.

I will reply when I am back and functional!

Cheers,

djgirl

Wrecker
06-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I remember people smoking on the buses, and those horrible green tinted windows on the sides. I also rememeber being at the downtown bus depot & watching the trains in the old yards, wishing I could travel by train instead....I hated the bus. Stopping at every little town, the depot was usually just the corner store. Sending parcels by bus, hoisting them up onto an old scale to be weighed.

soycd
06-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Regarding ETS bus numbers: My bro and I used to catch the S4 in Ottewell and head downtown every Saturday to the library where they had readings/activities for youngsters such as ourselves.

greydog
06-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi Wrecker,
can you tell me more about riding the bus? I do mean the Greyhound! Do you have any vivid memories, besides how they stopped at every little town? Did you ride them often? Please share your' stories with me.

thanks
gd

Wrecker
06-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi Wrecker,
can you tell me more about riding the bus? I do mean the Greyhound! Do you have any vivid memories, besides how they stopped at every little town? Did you ride them often? Please share your' stories with me.

thanks
gd

I just remember riding the greyhound to Calgary with my Mom to visit relatives, maybe twice a year. Nothing vivid stands out, I just remember never really enjoying it, just too long for a kid to sit still I guess. To this day, I still can't stand driving to Calgary. When I got older, I occasionaly took the bus to St Albert, to visit my Sister. St Albert had just a little square building at the old mall. I think it was only open at the time the bus was expected. I also have memories of sitting in the small town bus depot, usually run my an older Gent, with the scales and tags for the parcels. My Dad worked at the GM dealer, & they used to send a lot of parcels by bus.

microbus
06-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Regarding ETS bus numbers: My bro and I used to catch the S4 in Ottewell and head downtown every Saturday to the library where they had readings/activities for youngsters such as ourselves.

Yes, the S4 became the 44 when they changed to the all-number
scheme in the mid 70s. From downtown it went through
Cloverdale ( 98 ave ), then Ottewell Rd, 90 ave, and wound
around to end up at 56 st/85 ave.
The S7 became the 47, R1 and R2 became 46 and 64,
S1/S2=41/42, J1=11....
it seems the old S tag became 40-something,
J became 10-19, N 22-27, B 18,20,28, U became the 30's,
then in 1997 it got all mixed up :lol:

greydog
25-09-2007, 03:20 PM
By chance does anyone else have any stories about the bus industry??

greydog
22-11-2007, 03:46 PM
By chance does anyone else have any stories about the bus industry??

Medwards
22-11-2007, 03:51 PM
^^ Nope

greydog
23-11-2007, 08:07 PM
thanks for the feedback...dipshit!!

TerryH
23-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I've taken the Greyhound plenty of times, but I'm the type that just looks out the window, so no real stories of the trips themselves, other than being on the Edmonton-Calgary runs so often that I could take a nap, wake up during the trip, see a bit of the landscape and know pretty much where we were.

greydog
18-01-2008, 12:38 PM
By chance does anyone else have any stories about the highway bus industry??

MylesC
18-01-2008, 01:54 PM
I've consistently found the Red Arrow is full of rude people that think b/c they pay five bucks more they can act like jerks.

Go figure...my rides on Greyhound are usually a lot quieter and a lot more peaceful.

grish
18-01-2008, 01:57 PM
i have used both and they are equally comfortable with the exception of extra leg room on the arrow. the riders are exactly the same.

TerryH
20-01-2008, 01:06 AM
No real stories. But if you want to actually enjoy the ride, take the local run between Edmonton and Calgary. I've done that numerous times and get to see a lot more than by taking the express. I even took the Vancouver to Calgary run through the Crowsnest. Took 24 hours but got to see a lot of the Okanagan and southern and southeastern B.C.

JayBee
20-01-2008, 02:10 AM
I have a story, but not much of a punch line to it:

Many, many moons ago, before the days of either a job or discount airlines and most very unfortunately during a VIA strike, I accidentally took Greyhound to visit my sister in Toronto.

It was the most horrible torture I can remember. Well beyond my much more recent 2 root canals, my simultaneous extraction of all four wisdom teeth, or worse by far than my second worst transportation experience when I overnighted in YYC's lobby or something during a 24 hour+ student standby journey from Halifax.

Beyond Vegreville or maybe Lloydminster, the high point was giving up my dignity and lying in the aisle somewhere after Winnipeg. (The luggage racks were already full of moaning zombies nearly falling out at every corner rounded.)

All my other memories of the event seem to have been repressed. I can't even force myself to remember how many days or hours it took. But I'm sure that's part of the reason I shudder at the word "Toronto" to this day. (That, and the utterly clueless sports fans they have...)

Lesson mercilessly learned: just don't go to Toronto as a student on your own tab during a rail strike unless discount airlines exist.

connie
20-01-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't have a story but I've taken both Red Arrow and Greyhound, although it's been a few years. If I had a choice, I'd pick Red Arrow but they don't go everywhere in Alberta. I preferred travelling at night and I always would pay the extra couple of bucks for seat selection (on Greyhound) so that you can get on the bus first and get a spot with more leg room.

LindseyT
20-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Not so much on a Red Arrow or Greyhound, but school band trips always involved some sort of highway bus and a trip to BC. Hilarity always ensued and typically the bus ride was the highlight of the trip.

Sonic Death Monkey
20-01-2008, 10:36 PM
The only time I've used a bus service was a Greyhound to Vancouver many years ago. It was alright except that it stopped at every lightbulb along the way. There were extended stops in Jasper and Kamloops for us to get out and walk around for a bit. Surprising enough, considering the number of stops, the travel time was about 13 hours, so it took about the same time as driving your own car. VIA Rail to Vancouver, on the other hand, took 24 hours.

raz0469
21-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I tour guide with Downhill Riders. I've got stories. Man do I have stories. My first trip half my bus got pepper sprayed at Pete's on the way down, and on the way back we hit a deer and had to leave a couple injured people in Banff for medical attention.

Good times.

greydog
26-01-2008, 03:40 PM
raz, you have peeked my curiousity. do tell about the pepper spray episode??

thanks
greydog

raz0469
28-01-2008, 09:50 AM
It wasn't anything too serious, just a major annoyance. Long story short, a group of people from my bus were standing in front of Pete's eating their food. Apparently some young punks in their mid teens came up, and words were exchanged between the groups. Suddenly one of the punks pulled out a can of bear or pepper spray and nailed about 8 people all right in the eyes (they were standing in a semi circle). Given how crowded Pete's is when there's a dozen buses rolling through, several dozen people were close enough that they were all quite affected too.

They all rinsed as best as they could, changed clothes etc, but the bus reeked. My beer was spicey the rest of the way to Panorama, after that.

greydog
29-01-2008, 10:10 AM
thanks raz,
that's such a cool story. do you recall which bus company "downhill riders" would use for their ski junkets?

raz0469
29-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Last year was Mountain Pacific/Universal for just that year, this year and prior to that they are/were with Golden Arrow. Our best wishes go out to Irwin's family and friends, as well as the passenger who also passed away. It was Magic Bus, but everyone kind of knows everyones. Combined with the Backside tourguide getting killed at Revelstoke a month back it's been an ugly season so far.

There was a past trip when a guy crawled into the luggage compartment below the bus to grab something, and his smart assed friends closed the door. Apparently he rode from Coleman to Fernie, sending text messages to his buddies saying how cold he was. The bus driver got out at Fernie and opened the luggage compartments, and lo and behold a very cold guy came tumbling out onto the pavement.

MikeK
29-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I've gone on Greyhound many times between Edmonton and Grande Prairie, and a few times between Edmonton and Calgary as well as out to Jasper and Banff. Most of these trips were pretty uneventful, with passengers being just like you and me. But I know a few stories.

On a trip from Edmonton to GP way back in the early '90s, I ended up next to an amputee who was literally drugged up, drooling and kind of crazy, as he got on at Gunn. I decided to move to another empty seat and take my backpack with me, and right away that guy starts yelling at accusing me of stealing his bag, which I never touched. The driver had to come in and calm him and ask me if I was alright.

Around 1997, about half an hour out of GP on the way to Edmonton, a couple of guys in the back of the bus started trying to sell some prescription pills (probably tranquilizers or painkillers) like they were candy. I believe they even tried to hawk the pills to some minors. The driver was alerted by some other people and so there were cops waiting in Valleyview. The cops just got onto the bus and quickly cuffed these guys and hauled them out.

Back in the late 1980s, while on a stopover in Whitecourt from Edmonton to GP, I was returning from the hotel's restaurant with some junk food and a bottle of pop, only to find a drunk native guy sitting in my seat! I told him this was my seat, but when he grumbled and refused to move, I threatened to tell the driver. I was just about to do so when he finally got up and stumbled out of the bus. Either he was so drunk that the driver refused to let him back on or wasn't even supposed to be on that bus in the first place, because I never saw him afterwards.

During the summer of 1995 (I think), while in Spruce Grove en route to GP: the bus' rear tires blew out so loudly during baggage loading that some people screamed and freaked, and I thought I heard a girl scream something about a gun. A lot of us, including me, did think a gun had gone off, partly because the bus didn't even jerk when its tires blew. It took the driver a few minutes to calm some of the passengers, but we had to wait 2 hours just for a replacement bus to arrive.

greydog
30-01-2008, 10:55 PM
thanks for sharing these stories. they are most fascinating, and i would gladly welcome more.
thanks again

greydog
09-05-2008, 07:59 AM
By chance does anyone else have any stories about the highway bus industry??

greydog
12-05-2008, 08:26 PM
I am in the process of gathering stories of the history of bus travel in and around the Edmonton area. I'm not interested at this time in transit history, but I would truly welcome hearing about tales of riding the buses around the province, starting at Edmonton. I know that the dominant bus companies of the 50's and 60's were of course Greyhound, Sunburst and Canadian Coachways.
Any recollections of the Union bus depot would be welcome, as would stories about drivers and wild escapades.

Blueline
13-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Book?

Canadiana
20-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Red Arrow is cool..

24karat
21-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Greydog, why the research? Are you writing a book?

Legacy
15-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Three replies, same content, seperated by a few days?

What's the point? Are you trying to bump your own thread?

bpeters
15-09-2009, 03:04 PM
I have a story, but not much of a punch line to it:

Many, many moons ago, before the days of either a job or discount airlines and most very unfortunately during a VIA strike, I accidentally took Greyhound to visit my sister in Toronto.

It was the most horrible torture I can remember. Well beyond my much more recent 2 root canals, my simultaneous extraction of all four wisdom teeth, or worse by far than my second worst transportation experience when I overnighted in YYC's lobby or something during a 24 hour+ student standby journey from Halifax.

Beyond Vegreville or maybe Lloydminster, the high point was giving up my dignity and lying in the aisle somewhere after Winnipeg. (The luggage racks were already full of moaning zombies nearly falling out at every corner rounded.)

All my other memories of the event seem to have been repressed. I can't even force myself to remember how many days or hours it took. But I'm sure that's part of the reason I shudder at the word "Toronto" to this day. (That, and the utterly clueless sports fans they have...)

Lesson mercilessly learned: just don't go to Toronto as a student on your own tab during a rail strike unless discount airlines exist.

No offense Jaybee, but the visual of this story made me laugh.

sundance
15-09-2009, 03:11 PM
These two threads can be merged.
Reload this Page riding the bus!! (nope not transit buses either!)
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5935

Bus history
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3907

Aldergrove
16-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I recall riding on Diamond Bus Lines to Jasper Place prior to amalgamation in 1964. The buses were old highway style dating from the thirties I think. Smelly and creaky with very poor internal lighting. I googled around, but there is not much out there about that service. http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~wyatt/alltime/edmonton-ab.html is a site with a brief history of transit in Edmonton.